Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,831 members, 7,810,197 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:09 PM

New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel (9568 Views)

Exchange Dollar For Naira / Looking To Exchange Dollar For Naira / See The Latest Method Banks Have Now Employed To Devaluate The NAIRA (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by denitro(m): 6:35pm On Mar 18, 2009
Airport hotel exchanger have been defrauding people, beware. You will be short changed. It appears they have perfected diabolic methods. You will count your money but on reaching home. WOOOOW lost N50,000 yesterday.
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by promise72(m): 8:52pm On Mar 18, 2009
Explain better. How do u count it there and was short when you got home? Are u sure u counted well? May be u are in a hurry and u made a mistake  undecided

What i do know is that u dont ever hand over your $$$ before they hand u the Naira. sometimes they might quote u a very attractive xchange rate. You hand over the $$$. They will then say they dont have enough naira and hand u back ur currency, however, its been switched.

Lets say u hand over $1000. They will change like $400 and hand you the rest of $600 but the $600 will be fake currency. So u lost.

Whatever u agree to on xchange rate, let them count u the naira, you double check and then hand over ur $$

1 Like

Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by layi(m): 9:31am On Apr 06, 2009
Its happened to me twice at that location.
first time.
the guy counted the naira equivalent as complete and gave it to me. On counting it was short 1 note. I gave it back in anger and he recounted in batches of 10K each using his fingers to demacate and then place his hands in his pocket to bring the extra/missing note. By this time he had exchanged a whole batch with the missing note. Lost 10k when i got home since i didnt recount the notes again.

second time, he gave me 5 k less and when i rejected it he haded over my dollars back. On checking it was fake and he had dissapered
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by pureminded: 9:35am On Apr 06, 2009
layi:

Its happened to me twice at that location.
first time.
the guy counted the naira equivalent as complete and gave it to me. On counting it was short 1 note. I gave it back in anger and he recounted in batches of 10K each using his fingers to demacate and then place his hands in his pocket to bring the extra/missing note. By this time he had exchanged a whole batch with the missing note. Lost 10k when i got home since i didnt recount the notes again.

second time, he gave me 5 k less and when i rejected it he haded over my dollars back. On checking it was fake and he had dissapered

Too bad , sorry !
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by mchuxx(m): 12:32pm On Apr 06, 2009
It has happened to me at allen round about. They counted my naira notes in my presence, was complete but then suddenly changed the xchange rate. I refused and collected back my naira and left. On trying to purchase at another location, i found i lost 10k. I was advised to catch anybody there that they work in unison. I did that with the help of the police and recovered my 10k back from another xchanger. gave ploice 2k. Its a pity.
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by deb(m): 10:35pm On Apr 10, 2009
It almost happened to me last week at Allen Roundabout. The note was N1,000 less than what it should.
I gave it back to the guy to recount, but I was determined to have my exchanged currency complete before I hand
over my dollars. When the guy recounted the money and supposedly added the missing note, I noticed part of the money went back into his back pocket.
It was very fast but I saw it. There is this other guy that came with calculator to deliberately distract me.
I was smarter when the guy handed the supposedly completed notes to me. I still did not give him my dollars. I was going to recount the money but they both swiftly held my hands telling me they were no more interested in the exchange.

I called them both names and advised them to go and find better work to do. i finally changed the money inside a mallam's shop.
His name is Hassan (08063619903). His shop is within that shopping complex beside Alade market.

4 Likes

Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by amarilo: 6:56pm On Apr 12, 2009
That is what they call 20 market.

If your money is suppose to be 10k, they will count 9k and give you, when u count it and tell them itz 9k they will take it back to recount. b4 they start to recount they will take out like another 1 or 2k from that 9k you gave them back. they will then count it and accept itz 9k and give it to you back then count another 1k to complete it 10k. If you are not smart enuf to recount the whole money again you will still lose like 1 or 2k. they normally do it with 20naira notes.
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by Horus(m): 12:13am On Apr 13, 2009
Ok,this is an idea!!;When you recognise one of the fraudster,you simply take a picture of him with a camera phone or a digital camera,you download the picture on a computer and you post the picture of the fraudster here on Nairaland Forum. You add also the location of the fraudster below each picture. It is time to make war against the fraudster who are destroying the image of Nigeria. I think this will be very funny when we will see all the picture of all those fraudsters here on this trhead.

1 Like

Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by deb(m): 9:14pm On Apr 14, 2009
Ok,this is an idea!!;When you recognise one of the fraudster,you simply take a picture of him with a camera phone or a digital camera,you download the picture on a computer and you post the picture of the fraudster here on Nairaland Forum. You add also the location of the fraudster below each picture. It is time to make war against the fraudster who are destroying the image of Nigeria. I think this will be very funny when we will see all the picture of all those fraudsters here on this thread.

man you've got to have back ups to do that. Don't forget these guys have their network around. some are just there to distract you.
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by kingville(m): 6:27pm On Apr 16, 2009
Hi people those guys are good and bad at the same time
i changed 200dollars and they gave 36k which was counted
twice by I and my friend and just 5mins work it changed to
20k.felt like killing someone.now they work together so just
catch anyone and take to the police guys and they will get
ur money to u, dont even bother changing there just go inside
to the mallams shop ok.
a word of advice
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by dae(f): 6:33pm On Apr 16, 2009
hey guys, i have a question; Is it juju they use if you count money in their presence and u get home and it diappears? i know this is like a duh kinda question, but does it really happen?
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by brianromel(m): 11:56pm On Apr 16, 2009
Its a simply magician trick called slight of hand.
Added with aid from an assistant to distract you.
They carefully watch your every move while the only thing you carefully watch is the money,any slight distraction from you,gives them the opportunity to strike.
Thank God for bureau the change in banks like diamond,union,uba and phb,i have said bye bye to alade and those trickstars
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by blacksta(m): 9:33am On Apr 17, 2009
The question - why is Nigeria full of crooks. every fu cking person is an opportunist - very sad.  I definately agree we deserve the leaders we have in that fuc king country.  You the know the saying " Your leaders are a reflection of the present society"

1 Like

Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by meta4(m): 6:44pm On Apr 22, 2009
@poster,
yes i can confirm hat this claim is true cos i lost #30,000 to them last 2 months.
i didn't even know what to do to that guy, i just cursed him from the bottom of my heart cos i wanted to use that money for something very urgent and important. i know that curse will surely catch up with him and when it does, i'll be there to watch as he cries.
people beware!!!!
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by yommyuk: 1:29am On Apr 23, 2009
this has always being common pratice at airport hotel. It happen to me far back 1998. This means the bastards are still at it.
Thank God for dom a/cs.
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by soulamanne(m): 11:20am On Apr 23, 2009
yes.i is true!i am a livin witness.those guys are rodues and will kill for money sef!
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by Nobody: 3:11pm On Apr 24, 2009
They've been doing it for years, they're not stopping now, ,-unless drastic measures are put in place.
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by idupaul: 3:16pm On Apr 24, 2009
happened to me some tyme ago, i had heard the place was dubious so i counted what the mallam gave me many times and it was correct but allas when i went home 17k was missing, i wonder how they do it
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by ofala(m): 3:20pm On Apr 24, 2009
Everybody knows that Air Port Hotel is no go area as far as changing money is concerned.But its good this is brought up here so that many who does not know yet will talk correction.There are so many other places you can change your money and walk out in perfect peace.My question is:DO PEOPLE STILL CHANGE MONEY THERE? As for me,i see those people standing along that Aworowo Rd/AirPort Hotel ,in guise of changing money as mere thieves.
Look for other location to do your transaction.If you cant find,get to the nearest bank.Its better you 'loose' so tiny sum as bank rate than getting high blood pressure from those cursed beings.
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by ofala(m): 3:22pm On Apr 24, 2009
After loosing =N=100,000 to them there last year,whenever, i drive past that place i still see how hungry they look despite their dubiousness
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by MrCrackles(m): 3:23pm On Apr 24, 2009
Ah, good job someone brought this to our attention on NL! grin
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by wakagirl: 3:54pm On Apr 24, 2009
Can we not look for a way of setting them up and beat them throughly
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by Okejazz(m): 4:12pm On Apr 24, 2009
These fools have the interesting quality of makin money disappear in thin air before your eyes and perfecting the phrase "the more you look, the less you see"  grin grin grin.

Solution:------>

1. Be very careful and always count the money to be exchanged with yours yourself (even if money was counted several times before handed to you. This must occur before letting go your hard currency.

2. Copy down the numbers on your hard currency before heading out.

3. Realize that most of those con-artists (money changers) especially at Allen are small boys usually on foot.    Whenever you change money, go with somebody else preferably someone with a really short fuse that at the sight of any mago mago will be ready to beat down that daring con-artist.
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by platinumnk(f): 4:15pm On Apr 24, 2009
Okejazz:

These fools have the interesting quality of makin money disappear in thin air before your eyes and perfecting the phrase "the more you look, the less you see" grin grin grin.

Solution:------>

1. Be very careful and always count the money to be exchanged with yours yourself (even if money was counted several times before handed to you. This must occur before letting go your hard currency.

2. Copy down the numbers on your hard currency before heading out.

3. Realize that most of those con-artists (money changers) especially at Allen are small boys usually on foot. Whenever you change money, go with somebody else preferably someone with a really short fuse that at the sight of any mago mago will be ready to beat down that daring con-artist.

yeah when ever i went to exchange dollars I always took my huge cousin with me, he doesnt play any games and my money was always correct.
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by ofala(m): 4:26pm On Apr 24, 2009
The simplest thing is to be careful if you must patronise these thieves.As for me,they will never see me again!Beating them or setting them up is a BIG waste of unavailable time.They aint worth the energy
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by Nobody: 4:31pm On Apr 24, 2009
Mere looking at those guys along Airport Hotel will tell any discerning person that those guys are cheap crooks.

The hotel mgt has tried many times to dislodge them from that area but they always come back (means they still have peeps that patronises them), now they are across the road by Jabita Hotel and the mama puts adjoining the area.

My advise is NEVER transact business with those guys, because you will ALWAYS lose.
Go inside the hotel shops and transact you forex deals, though the rate may be relatively unattractive compared to those silly guys by the road side, you will be assured of genuine transaction.
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by solosimple(m): 4:32pm On Apr 24, 2009
@POSTER AND OTHERS
Thanks for the info.
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by teddydeji: 4:36pm On Apr 24, 2009
those guys are so smart that daring to beat them to their game means playing with Ur money.go to the more trustworthy hausas in alade market. they use distraction to shortchange u.it happen to me about ten years ago.the guy counted the money, handed it over to me to count,i counted and it was short with one note and i gave it back to him only for some guy around to approach us as thugs, i got distracted and he removed from the same money and added it to the money as if he has added to it.
i have gone back to that place to change money again
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by astar2008(m): 4:48pm On Apr 24, 2009
I must say i am surprised to hear people getting  ripped off by these Mediocre's, it has never happened to me before O, even though  i know it goes on
The best thing is to the use the official Bureau de change or once you find a reliable one use him all the time.

Recomended
Airport hotel -  BAT investments inside Airport Hotel (not outside on the street)
Ikoyi Hotel -    Big Alhaji (you can never go wrong)
Federal place Hotel - Naziru  Yusuf Habil  (first shop near the hotel main car park)

instead of using the so called Agbero's on the street because you want to ensure you get the best rate
besides any issue you can always go back to them.
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by pamboogie(f): 5:01pm On Apr 24, 2009
my own advice is for people to stop changing money at alade or patronising the guys on the streets. just a few houses from alade, there are about 3 bureau de change offices near the access bank on allen. their names are rock, sulah and chariot, i think. they are good corporate offices, air conditioned and all in respectable office buildings. a couple of years ago, my big very open eyed cousin was duped by those touts so i know it can happen to anyone. so please go to licensed bureau de change offices instead
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by Nobody: 5:03pm On Apr 24, 2009
Re: New 419 Method; Don't Exchange Dollar @ Airport Hotel by Oxone(m): 5:04pm On Apr 24, 2009
@poster
thanx for the info. will keep an eye out for that as i change dollars alot

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lease Autodesk Product Design Collection And AEC Collection / Gtb Internet Banking Activation Code / FOREX: No Plan To Convert Domiciliary Accounts Into Naira - CBN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.