Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,628 members, 7,809,338 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:02 AM

Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews (23291 Views)

Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. / 10 Mistakes Job Seekers Make … And How to Avoid Them / Intelligent Questions Every Interviewee Should Ask During Interviews (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by LaurelP(m): 9:44pm On Aug 03, 2015
Its good to prepare well for your interviews, to practice your answers to popular questions, to research the company and position, study your CV, dress smell good and arrive on time.
However, I've come to realize from experience that many jobseekers adhere to these rules, but still end up performing poorly in interviews.
I've been a victim of these mistakes and it has cost me a lot of interviews that I would have aced. It took me some time to realize my mistake but unfortunately, many jobseekers still fall victim. What am I talking about?

1) Discussing and making noise with fellow interviewees: Interview is a serious business. It is not a social gathering or an avenue to exchange pleasantries, discuss politics and football and gossip about unimportant stuffs. Many, and I repeat many jobseekers make this mistake.
They're waiting for the interview to start or their turn to reach, and before you know it the place turns to a market place. Everybody forgets why they're there and start making noise. This works against you in two ways: You forget why you're there and all the preparations you've done, and even the company might percieve you as an unserious person. You won't realize this until you're called in for your turn and you realize you just ended up chatting away your potential job.

I'm not saying you shouldn't exchange greeting with fellow jobseekers, I'm saying you should do it quickly and go to one side and think about your answers to questions or any further info you might need to ruminate over that will make you soar above others. After the interview you can socialize.

2) Disclosing your answers to questions: On no account should you disclose to fellow interviewees your answers to questions asked, especially on salary and allowances. Why
Because that your "new friend" you told your expected salary can give a lesser figure during the second stage interview and he will be hired ahead of you. Many have lost jobs through this means (including myself) just because I was trying to make friends! If you're asked, tell the person its private matter or give him a figure way above what you demanded!

3) Becoming too casual immediately after the interview: I've seen some remove their tie immediately they come out of the interview room, some remove their suits and become too casual. Avoid these urges cos you never know if the company is still watching and assessing your level of focus and seriousness. Remain formal and organized until you climb that Okada, Keke or taxi.

4) Over-thinking about your performance: Once you're through with your interview, assure yourself that you did your best and leave the rest for God and the employer. There's no need to beat yourself, it will distract you. When you get home, analyse the interview, try to anlyse your mistakes and correct them in the next interview. Move on with your life!

Cheers!!!

Lalasticlala, davide470, uboma

66 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by Nobody: 9:50pm On Aug 03, 2015
gone are the days when good jobs are already waiting for you from your final year in the university. Now no jobs sef talk less of "good".
The educational system is wack and to make matters worse, the Nigerian educational system is dilapidated. Fresh graduates are required to have at least ten years experience angry . You need long legs for virtually everything, from gaining admission to getting employed.
God save our Nation

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by hisprinceship: 9:55pm On Aug 03, 2015
Been playing moly on nairaland. Back to the topic VEry little mistakes damage Lotta preparation.

But when I get the job

Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by LaurelP(m): 10:37pm On Aug 03, 2015
danyel09:
gone are the days when good jobs are already waiting for you from your final year in the university. Now no jobs sef talk less of "good".
The educational system is wack and to make matters worse, the Nigerian educational system is dilapidated. Fresh graduates are required to have at least ten years experience angry . You need long legs for virtually everything, from gaining admission to getting employed.
God save our Nation
You're right. And its getting worse by the day.
Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by PRISTINEMUSCLES: 11:01pm On Aug 03, 2015
Nice and very informative. That number 3 has cost me quite a lot of disappointment during my job search. I could remember quite vividly an interview i went for. Deep down in my mind i knew i aced it but i made one deadly mistake by loosing my tie-knot and removing my suit as soon as i left the interview room and i guess one of the members of the interview panel must have seen me. Na regret mail reach my hand as i reach house. Damn.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by UnknownT: 11:21pm On Aug 03, 2015
I'm guilty of no. 3 not only in interviews. The last interview and proposal I attended, imeediately I was done, I just folded my jacket into my back pack, removed the tie, folded my long sleeves and finally "un-tucked" my shirt. Suit and tie no be for me oh. Also after dressing at home, I don't get to wear the jacket till I get to the venue.
Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by LaurelP(m): 7:49am On Aug 04, 2015
UnknownT:
I'm guilty of no. 3 not only after interviews. The last interview and proposal I attended, imeediately I was done, I just folded my jacket into my back pack, removed the tie, folded my long sleeves and finally "un-tucked" my shirt. Suit and tie no be for me oh. After dressing at home, I don't get to wear the jacket till I get to the venue.

Many people are guilty of that. They put on their tie at the venue and remove it immediately after the interview. It shows that you can hardly cope if offered the job.
Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by ITSAWRAPP: 10:37am On Aug 04, 2015
nice info

Let's dress you for your dream job

Fellow Nairalanders, please check out our incredible offer below
Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by LatestTrend: 10:37am On Aug 04, 2015
hmm
Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by SWAGGAVILLAGE(m): 10:38am On Aug 04, 2015
good 1 laurel..all these job posts are very helpful.. now that now that even the first Lady of the federal republic is complaining about the ever dwindling of female law makers in the country http://yesreport..nl/2015/08/decline-in-elected-female-lawmakers.html?m=0 and people are loosing their jobs like child's play.
Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by EduRegard: 10:38am On Aug 04, 2015
Good tips, you might also want to check How To Keep Calm While Getting Ready For A Job Interview
Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by fattbabakay(m): 10:38am On Aug 04, 2015
NICE

1 Like

Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by ignis: 10:38am On Aug 04, 2015
Nice one. ..

1 Like

Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by sucess001(m): 10:39am On Aug 04, 2015
If that job is yours..you ll get it regardless of all these lists...

Lemme share my experience with yall...

I was a lawyer working in a lawfirm...and the position was for legal....in a Bank...

We were about 100 for the Job...98% of the others had banking experience...i didn't...and about 80% were existing staff of the bank.

I wasn't so keen about the job so i was basically chatting, bantering and having fun with the panel of about 15 people...

i remember that at a point we were almost arguing about football... and one of them said arsenal was better than Barca...(He was the Company Secretary of the Bank)

I smiled and told him 'Sir, i agree with you...only for the sake of this interview..but outside this interview room...i will disagree with you totally'...all of them laughed...

To cut the story short sha...i got the job...

My boss later told me i got it because of my research inclinations...i was a columnist in all the top newspapers then and that was what they needed at that point...he also said after my jokes, most of the panel took a liking to me...

And to think i didn't even think they were looking at the research part of my cv...

And guess what?...2 weeks before then i was also bantering with another bank (a smaller bank)'s panel and they were like i was too 'confident' and 'trying to be funny'..after that stage(3rd)...they didn't call me again...

Which brings me back to my initial statement...if its yours...you will be favored for something u didn't even aver your mind to...

All the best!

29 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by directonpc(m): 10:40am On Aug 04, 2015
Just wanna be rich and famous...

1 Like

Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by bqlekan(m): 10:40am On Aug 04, 2015
Nice one

1 Like

Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by eipreel(f): 10:41am On Aug 04, 2015
hehehe...looks like it's no1 that cost me and my fellow group members our successmails as dem no pick any one of us cry beht i have new friends sha grin
Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by pretydiva(f): 10:41am On Aug 04, 2015
Fnks op 4 dis info...
Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by Nobody: 10:41am On Aug 04, 2015
Good one.

1 Like

Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by kennydee05(m): 10:43am On Aug 04, 2015
LaurelP:
Its good to prepare well for your interviews, to practice your answers to popular questions, to research the company and position, study your CV, dress smell good and arrive on time.
However, I've come to realize from experience that many jobseekers adhere to these rules, but still end up performing poorly in interviews.
I've been a victim of these mistakes and it has cost me a lot of interviews that I would have aced. It took me some time to realize my mistake but unfortunately, many jobseekers still fall victim. What am I talking about?

1) Discussing and making noise with fellow interviewees: Interview is a serious business. It is not a social gathering or an avenue to exchange pleasantries, discuss politics and football and gossip about unimportant stuffs. Many, and I repeat many jobseekers make this mistake.
They're waiting for the interview to start or their turn to reach, and before you know it the place turns to a market place. Everybody forgets why they're there and start making noise. This works against you in two ways: You forget why you're there and all the preparations you've done, and even the company might percieve you as an unserious person. You won't realize this until you're called in for your turn and you realize you just ended up chatting away your potential job.

I'm not saying you shouldn't exchange greeting with fellow jobseekers, I'm saying you should do it quickly and go to one side and think about your answers to questions or any further info you might need to ruminate over that will make you soar above others. After the interview you can socialize.

2) Disclosing your answers to questions: On no account should you disclose to fellow interviewees your answers to questions asked, especially on salary and allowances. Why
Because that your "new friend" you told your expected salary can give a lesser figure during the second stage interview and he will be hired ahead of you. Many have lost jobs through this means (including myself) just because I was trying to make friends! If you're asked, tell the person its private matter or give him a figure way above what you demanded!

3) Becoming too casual immediately after the interview: I've seen some remove their tie immediately they come out of the interview room, some remove their suits and become too casual. Avoid these urges cos you never know if the company is still watching and assessing your level of focus and seriousness. Remain formal and organized until you climb that Okada, Keke or taxi.

4) Over-thinking about your performance: Once you're through with your interview, assure yourself that you did your best and leave the rest for God and the employer. There's no need to beat yourself, it will distract you. When you get home, analyse the interview, try to anlyse your mistakes and correct them in the next interview. Move on with your life!

Cheers!!!

Lalasticlala, davide470, uboma
I was once guilty of the above mistakes and I learnt from it in hard way.... Never will it repeat itself again.
Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by ahckmedkosy(m): 10:44am On Aug 04, 2015
I wudnt say that there are no good jobs waiting but they are limited and most times some pple lack confidence in themself wen they hav 3rD class n they see a 1st class in the same interview. They tend to cling on the "better" candidate for ideas. I hv been in a total of 3 interviews of which God willing I passed all. My advice is tell ursef u rily need the job more than anyone and go ahead n proove it. U myt not ans all questions but ur charisma n courage will speak wen ur ans to questions keep silent. I hv been to Wia I was asked a question n I Dint knw the ans n I told the man I cant remember it and the man asked me if I remember any joke and asked me to Crack a joke. That was all n I got an appointment though I Dint tk the offer cos anoda came before that.
Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by VickyRotex(f): 10:44am On Aug 04, 2015
eipreel:
hehehe...looks like it's no1 that cost me and my fellow group members our successmails as dem no pick any one of us cry beht i have new friends sha grin

cheesy 50-50.

Eyah, it's well. Guess, you've learnt now.

All the best dear!

1 Like

Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by steffans(m): 10:45am On Aug 04, 2015
Will keep it in mind..
When attending my next interview!!!
Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by Omotayor123(f): 10:45am On Aug 04, 2015
True... Some people can't just put their self in check even during interview... You will see them being Everywhere like they already got the job.

Funny grin
Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by VickyRotex(f): 10:45am On Aug 04, 2015
Nice one Op!!! cool
Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by Lasese: 10:47am On Aug 04, 2015
It's just once upon a time!
Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by Tbillz(m): 10:50am On Aug 04, 2015
Tea or coffee offer?
Bluntly reject the offer, as an interviewee evry of your first impression matters. However in my own opinion i will suggest u leave the offer for when u become an employee.
Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by Sanguine77(m): 10:52am On Aug 04, 2015
The hustle is real. 9ja is getting harder by the day but if God's favour is on you, commit all the blunders, have zero experience, forget your name,you will still get the job.
A person went for an exam and wrote nothing; the lecturer gave him two big question marks but when the young lecturer's daughter was recording the scripts, he gave d fella 77%.
Do u tink its ordinry?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by Donpizzle(m): 10:53am On Aug 04, 2015
Forget all dis tins wey Op write joor. When ur time reach u go get job.
Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by Abdul4success(m): 10:56am On Aug 04, 2015
Good One
Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by labisibrass(m): 10:57am On Aug 04, 2015
Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by ednut1(m): 11:01am On Aug 04, 2015
telling the truth, u went to school and participated in nting except ur books (like me) nd u tell dat to ur interviewer.well i was PRO in my dept and nysc cds ( if i hear).

(1) (2) (Reply)

Five Must Avoid Words To Use During Any Job Interview / What Could Shade Have Done Differently To Avoid Her Current Situation???? / 8 Things To Avoid At An Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.