Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,912 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:05 PM

8 Things To Avoid At An Interview - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 8 Things To Avoid At An Interview (23321 Views)

8 Things You Can Do To Get A Job Despite Graduating With A 2.2 / 8 Things You Can Do To Get A Job Despite Graduating With A 2.2 / RECRUITMENT: Police Fixes Date For Screening Nationwide; Here Are 8 Things You M (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

8 Things To Avoid At An Interview by Iyke1998(m): 12:56pm On Jul 14, 2015
Interview sessions are supposed to be occasions for prospective employees to showcase their skills and why they deserve to be employed, however, for most job seekers this opportunity is usually flunked because many candidates inadvertently shoot themselves in the leg by doing what they are not supposed to do or otherwise.

So, what are some things you must avoid at an interview? We will look at 8 of such things to avoid in order for you to ace your next interview session.

1. Dressing wrongly

Experts say that 65% decisions are made about you based on how you dress and appear. Interviews are formal occasions and you must dress formally and look like someone who means business. Though ‘formality’ does not necessarily mean wearing shirt, tie and suit; but it does mean looking smart and fit for the job or position you are applying for. So the next time you attend an interview, make sure you look like you mean business.

2. Not well groomed

True, your dressing is part of grooming, but it is much more than dressing. It encompasses your total outward look. As a male, your hair needs to be well cut and trimmed. As a lady, you shouldn’t wear a multi-colour hair for interviews. Also watch out on your colour combinations, there mustn’t be any riot. As much as possible, keep your colour combinations within 2 colours, but not more than 3 at the maximum. A simple Google search for ideas on colour combinations can help.

3. Arriving late for interview

This will definitely score you low. If you arrive late for interview, it will be assumed that you don’t have regard for time and that is how you will be coming late for work should you be employed. Make sure you take time to know where your interview will take place before the day. Arrange everything you will need at least a day prior to the interview day. If need be, set alarm so you can wake up early and finish on time to leave the house. You don’t want to take chances if you leave in a place like Lagos where traffic hitch is the order of the day.

4. Lying

It is common practice for some people to lie about quite a number of things during interview so they could secure the job. But it is better to remain on the side of honour and integrity and miss the job than to lie and get it, because sooner or later the wind may blow and your lies would be found out. And then you would be sacked for lying and deceiving your employer. If you do not meet the age or qualification requirement, then don’t apply and if you do, just tell them the truth about what you truly possess, that may even be the reason they will employ you.

5. Slanting your current boss or employer

No matter where you work, you will always come across people who step on your toes. People can do things that are even unethical and sometimes, they can really get on your nerves. But mal-aligning those during an interview will be your ‘Achilles hills’. Unwittingly, you are sending a signal to this prospective employer that you will do the same to them should you want to leave their company. Watch it!

6. Not knowing some basic information about the company

How can you claim to want to work for an organisation and you know nothing about them? It is almost certain that one of the questions you would be asked during an interview is, “What do you know about this company?” And if you say you don’t know anything about the company, then you are not qualified to work there. Visit their website if they have one. Read about them, when it was established, what landmark achievements they have, and their current staff strength. Get to know their vision/mission statements and core values. These are things that show you really have interest in the company.

7. Being too nervous or too confident

The two are alike working in opposite directions. Being too nervous shows lack of confidence and being too confident shows a sign of arrogance. You need to create a balance by being cool headed. Answer questions simply without over embellishing. And also being too confident may seem you are not a team player; someone who might be bossing everyone around without listening to others’ opinions.

8. Being rude

It is likely that in some instances there will be people in the interview panel you are older than or more qualified than. However, that is not a reason to be rude to them. At this point, your age and qualification don’t matter. What matters is to be humble and respectfully respond to questions posed to you. If you find yourself being rude, apologise politely and move on. Also do not get too close with members of the panel. Just be polite and friendly.

http://www.nigerianbulletin.com/threads/8-things-you-must-avoid-at-an-interview.114173/

I hope this Helps....

12 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 8 Things To Avoid At An Interview by Georgekyrian(m): 1:18pm On Jul 14, 2015
On my way to Aso rock, ready for the ministe s interview.. LIKE JEZZ, I made FTC woowww!!!!, I dedicate this page to my lovely MUM, and all the departed Nigeria brave soldiers including my Late DAD, (the labour of our hero past, shall never be in vain..)

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Things To Avoid At An Interview by Benbisco(f): 1:18pm On Jul 14, 2015
Ok. Thanks. Will always remember.
Re: 8 Things To Avoid At An Interview by Jibola10(m): 1:18pm On Jul 14, 2015
Ok
Re: 8 Things To Avoid At An Interview by bastien: 1:19pm On Jul 14, 2015
Looking inside her cloth to see if the boobi is big or small

2 Likes

Re: 8 Things To Avoid At An Interview by Chukwutobi: 1:20pm On Jul 14, 2015
True.
Re: 8 Things To Avoid At An Interview by Nicepoker(m): 1:20pm On Jul 14, 2015
+can I use native wears for an interview ?

1 Like

Re: 8 Things To Avoid At An Interview by deywarley(m): 1:21pm On Jul 14, 2015
That number 6 is very important, I learnt the hard way sad

1 Like

Re: 8 Things To Avoid At An Interview by asumo12: 1:21pm On Jul 14, 2015
Re: 8 Things To Avoid At An Interview by seanpizzy(m): 1:21pm On Jul 14, 2015
Re: 8 Things To Avoid At An Interview by Venice789: 1:22pm On Jul 14, 2015
aiit
Re: 8 Things To Avoid At An Interview by Nobody: 1:23pm On Jul 14, 2015
ok
Re: 8 Things To Avoid At An Interview by rEinCarNaTeD1(m): 1:23pm On Jul 14, 2015
9. never smoke weed before an interview cool

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Things To Avoid At An Interview by horllami07(f): 1:23pm On Jul 14, 2015
ok
Re: 8 Things To Avoid At An Interview by Afrocatalyst: 1:23pm On Jul 14, 2015
Alryt
Re: 8 Things To Avoid At An Interview by phemheritage: 1:23pm On Jul 14, 2015
Av seen this b4
Re: 8 Things To Avoid At An Interview by Harkynkunle(m): 1:24pm On Jul 14, 2015
hi nairalanders..... these idiots are silly scammers (with mobile
num 09037101896 and 09050947168, also with nairaland
username : Choba .... they claim they sell data bundle but all they
do is to scam innocent N.Landers ..... they persuade d buyer to
send an amount of call card to them for an amount of data
bundle..e.g 1k for 1gb... which seems to be a normal way ppl buy
data bundle lately..... once u send d call card to them in
expectance of d data bundle , they either stop picking ur calls or
they switch off their phones... Beware they are scammers...
below is what they look like

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 8 Things To Avoid At An Interview by pretydiva(f): 1:25pm On Jul 14, 2015
Fnks 4 d info op
Re: 8 Things To Avoid At An Interview by iphanyiuma(m): 1:26pm On Jul 14, 2015
4 lying....i disagree...lie if necessary if you're an exconvict tell them you're a pastor gringrin
Re: 8 Things To Avoid At An Interview by gabpaul: 1:28pm On Jul 14, 2015
Best interview tips

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Things To Avoid At An Interview by Nobody: 1:28pm On Jul 14, 2015
Nicepoker:
+can I use native wears for an interview ?

Yes you can, but it must be complete, I mean with cap.

Though it's not advisable. Native attires are only suitable for conferences and board meetings.

4 Likes

Re: 8 Things To Avoid At An Interview by Georgekyrian(m): 1:30pm On Jul 14, 2015
rEinCarNaTeD1:
9. never smoke weed before an interview cool
I was extremely high on the day of the interview of my present job..GODWIN
Re: 8 Things To Avoid At An Interview by gabpaul: 1:30pm On Jul 14, 2015
Harkynkunle:
hi nairalanders..... these idiots are silly scammers (with mobile
num 09037101896 and 09050947168, also with nairaland
username : Choba .... they claim they sell data bundle but all they
do is to scam innocent N.Landers ..... they persuade d buyer to
send an amount of call card to them for an amount of data
bundle..e.g 1k for 1gb... which seems to be a normal way ppl buy
data bundle lately..... once u send d call card to them in
expectance of d data bundle , they either stop picking ur calls or
they switch off their phones... Beware they are scammers...
below is what they look like
Copy That....

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Things To Avoid At An Interview by eph12(m): 1:32pm On Jul 14, 2015
Putting on a jacket or suit is very important.
Re: 8 Things To Avoid At An Interview by promisechild(m): 1:34pm On Jul 14, 2015
Are you in need of a home tutor for your child this
summer? and you stay in Abuja. Path way home
tutor , Abuja is the best bet for that.

contact 08139018012
Re: 8 Things To Avoid At An Interview by otabuko(m): 1:35pm On Jul 14, 2015
Noted!
Re: 8 Things To Avoid At An Interview by tutaboi(m): 1:40pm On Jul 14, 2015
bastien:
Looking inside her cloth to see if the boobi is big or small
bad guy
Re: 8 Things To Avoid At An Interview by bastien: 1:46pm On Jul 14, 2015
tutaboi:
bad guy
Lol Yeah na
Re: 8 Things To Avoid At An Interview by Spikkylee: 1:47pm On Jul 14, 2015
G
Re: 8 Things To Avoid At An Interview by Sheenor: 1:50pm On Jul 14, 2015
Nice tips.......
Re: 8 Things To Avoid At An Interview by professore(m): 1:51pm On Jul 14, 2015
this is very cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

Job Offer When I Did Not Attend Any Interview,who Else Got This??? / Vacancy For Marketers In Gtbank / Possible Answers To Some Interview Questions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.