Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,446 members, 7,812,362 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:16 PM

Is It Ethical For Web Designers To Copy Or Bite Existing Websites Verbatim ? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Is It Ethical For Web Designers To Copy Or Bite Existing Websites Verbatim ? (859 Views)

We Need Web Designers Urgently / I Need Help On Php Mysql Anyone Who Can Assit Me With Soft Copy Or Explan Note / Top Ten Nigerian Web Designers <caution> (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Ethical For Web Designers To Copy Or Bite Existing Websites Verbatim ? by nacom(f): 5:11pm On Mar 19, 2009
Now i have noticed a rather sad and un professional trend that still tends to exist among web designers here in Nigeria and its rather sad to think that at this present age and time that web designers can still be copying existing websites done by other fellow Nigerian web designers word for word, design for design.

Please i want to hear from you guys  your own views about web biting.
Re: Is It Ethical For Web Designers To Copy Or Bite Existing Websites Verbatim ? by nitation(m): 5:26pm On Mar 19, 2009
Thats a punishable offense under section X of the Nigerian developers law.

Hahahahaha

- nitation
Re: Is It Ethical For Web Designers To Copy Or Bite Existing Websites Verbatim ? by Nobody: 6:36pm On Mar 19, 2009
It happens. . .
Re: Is It Ethical For Web Designers To Copy Or Bite Existing Websites Verbatim ? by nitation(m): 6:45pm On Mar 19, 2009
It happens is all you could say, anyway, where did you learn programming? Was it from the shrine

- nitation
Re: Is It Ethical For Web Designers To Copy Or Bite Existing Websites Verbatim ? by Nobody: 6:51am On Mar 20, 2009
From the sha-lan-ga dat i learnt programming, i know that any program can be copied or stolen. . .even if it is compiled. . .so it happens. . .o pari!
Re: Is It Ethical For Web Designers To Copy Or Bite Existing Websites Verbatim ? by nitation(m): 7:39am On Mar 20, 2009
@DHTML

check the topic "IS IT ETHICAL" The poster never said "IS IT POSSIBLE". Anyway, by the tone of your response, I guess you do that a lot.

- nitation
Re: Is It Ethical For Web Designers To Copy Or Bite Existing Websites Verbatim ? by quadrillio(m): 10:29am On Mar 20, 2009
for naija web designer PHOTOCOPY O EASY.

what I can suggest is that anytime we see a website that is a photocopy of another, we should expose it in this section

maybe if we disgrace dem small, them go stop. grin
Re: Is It Ethical For Web Designers To Copy Or Bite Existing Websites Verbatim ? by nitation(m): 12:05pm On Mar 20, 2009
Abeg help me yarn them

- nitation
Re: Is It Ethical For Web Designers To Copy Or Bite Existing Websites Verbatim ? by Nobody: 12:49pm On Mar 20, 2009
i dont see anything bad with copying but it gets to an extent, it become unbearable.

will u say Seun copied craigslist? i will say yes and i dont think it is wrong.
how about someone who purchase a template, and the same template sold to 10 more developers with terms and conditions accepted by all parties?

Do you think it is fine to disgrace them because, they are not that good with graphics and decided to pay to get it?
You are referring to what u can see, what of the background codes like lightbox copied word for word?
Re: Is It Ethical For Web Designers To Copy Or Bite Existing Websites Verbatim ? by nitation(m): 1:45pm On Mar 20, 2009
@Webdezzi

You getting an idea from a similar website is different from copying style by style, tag for tag

- nitation
Re: Is It Ethical For Web Designers To Copy Or Bite Existing Websites Verbatim ? by Nobody: 2:49pm On Mar 20, 2009
lol,

u remind me of my secondary school days

efikos would prefer to have average student dub their works/assignment rather than have dullards do it.
cos dumb skulls would do you no good, they will copy ur assignment word for word and run you into trouble

@nitation, remember i said it can become unbearable
Re: Is It Ethical For Web Designers To Copy Or Bite Existing Websites Verbatim ? by yawatide(f): 2:53pm On Mar 20, 2009
Yep, there is a difference b/w rank xeroxing, photocopying, dubbing, diamond copying, scanning and cyclostating. It's all in the quality of the finished product wink
Re: Is It Ethical For Web Designers To Copy Or Bite Existing Websites Verbatim ? by Nobody: 4:26pm On Mar 20, 2009
but all na copying sha? whether cyclo templating or diamond xeroxing
all na still dubbing and it is ok by me.

I am no saint as i take time to study others' work to find out what made it breathtaking. i wont even mind decompiling ur swf (i expect reactions)
Re: Is It Ethical For Web Designers To Copy Or Bite Existing Websites Verbatim ? by yawatide(f): 4:42pm On Mar 20, 2009
I will let sleeping dogs lie here and not say anything else but that there is a difference between the following, assuming the original statement:

original:
I will go to the market today

copy 1:
I'll go to the market today

copy 2:
I will go to the market today after which I will be going home

copy 3:
I Will Go To The Market Today

copy 4:
I want to go to the market to today so I can get some cooking materials

copy 5:
I will go to the market today

copy 6:
I will go to the market today.

Are they all copies? Yep.  Having said that, there is a big difference in some, very little difference in others and in one particular case, no difference at all cool

I am all for copying. Heck, I learned that way too but downright ripping (or biting as mentioned here) is flat out wrong, is subject to plagiarism and if one were a member of a respected organization (SAN and ICANN come to mind), is subject to dismissal from such an organization.  At the very least, give credit to whom credit is due.  That's all I am saying.

Note, the question is, "is it ethical".  If it is by you (and without acknowledging the source), I guess that is what floats your boat.  It doesn't and will never float mine, thatz for sure.
Re: Is It Ethical For Web Designers To Copy Or Bite Existing Websites Verbatim ? by tundewoods(m): 5:38pm On Mar 20, 2009
To be candid and sincere its really hard to understand and comprehend why some people choose to copy outrightly but according to Yawatide's funny example its actually the honest but painful truth. People do the darnest things when it comes to copying verbatim.
Re: Is It Ethical For Web Designers To Copy Or Bite Existing Websites Verbatim ? by smartsoft(m): 5:55pm On Mar 20, 2009
humm this is intresting,
Re: Is It Ethical For Web Designers To Copy Or Bite Existing Websites Verbatim ? by Nobody: 12:07pm On Mar 21, 2009
Hmmmmm. . .
Re: Is It Ethical For Web Designers To Copy Or Bite Existing Websites Verbatim ? by ndgfx(m): 6:18pm On Mar 21, 2009
Hmm, i look at other peoples designs and most of the time i try to find inspiration from them, true i may steal a few kinks here and there but nothing as a whole.

Anyways look at it this way,
If it was copied, that means they thought that your design was that GOOD.

cheers
Re: Is It Ethical For Web Designers To Copy Or Bite Existing Websites Verbatim ? by Afam4eva(m): 7:22pm On Mar 21, 2009
There's really nothing wrong in copying the structure of the website. It gets irritating when the designer copies the content, color etc.

(1) (Reply)

Free Info On How To Get Paid For Testing Websites / Can Any Body Help Me With A Php Lookup Script / Web Development Tutorial Html(video Interactive) Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.