Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,292 members, 7,829,668 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:18 AM

Is't Good For A Church Or Pastor To Run Or Own A Hotel? Pls Air Your Views Wit Cogent Reasons Thanks - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is't Good For A Church Or Pastor To Run Or Own A Hotel? Pls Air Your Views Wit Cogent Reasons Thanks (1352 Views)

My Terrible Experience In A Church Today / What Are Your Views On Supernatural Occurrences? / Who Is In The Best Position To Bless You; Your Parents Or Pastor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is't Good For A Church Or Pastor To Run Or Own A Hotel? Pls Air Your Views Wit Cogent Reasons Thanks by Matimo: 4:36pm On Mar 20, 2009
is't good 4 pastor or a church to run hotel service
Re: Is't Good For A Church Or Pastor To Run Or Own A Hotel? Pls Air Your Views Wit Cogent Reasons Thanks by banom(m): 5:07pm On Mar 20, 2009
Matimo:

is't good 4 pastor or a church to run hotel service

You asked this question like someone who stoped going to church in 30s, ain't you seeing that almost all the hotels in the city  is been used today by churches as worship center, some churches even use Bars, i have seeing a church that uses a hotel where prostitutes live as church,  So all na the same.
Re: Is't Good For A Church Or Pastor To Run Or Own A Hotel? Pls Air Your Views Wit Cogent Reasons Thanks by KunleOshob(m): 5:18pm On Mar 20, 2009
@post
well it depends on your definition of hotel. An hotel is not neccessarily a brothel or a sinful place
Re: Is't Good For A Church Or Pastor To Run Or Own A Hotel? Pls Air Your Views Wit Cogent Reasons Thanks by biina: 9:16pm On Mar 31, 2009
I dont think pastors or the church should be involved in any form of business.
Re: Is't Good For A Church Or Pastor To Run Or Own A Hotel? Pls Air Your Views Wit Cogent Reasons Thanks by KunleOshob(m): 11:23am On Apr 01, 2009
biina:

I dont think pastors or the church should be involved in any form of business.
On the contrary the bible suggests that preachers and pastors should work so that they don't become a burden to their members like most of our pastors today are. Below are excerpts from paul's second letter to the church at thessalonians:

2 Thessalonians 3:6-10:
6 And now, dear brothers and sisters, we give you this command in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ: Stay away from all believers who live idle lives and don’t follow the tradition they received from us. 7 For you know that you ought to imitate us. We were not idle when we were with you. 8 We never accepted food from anyone without paying for it. We worked hard day and night so we would not be a burden to any of you. 9 We certainly had the right to ask you to feed us, but we wanted to give you an example to follow. 10 Even while we were with you, we gave you this command: “Those unwilling to work will not get to eat.”
Re: Is't Good For A Church Or Pastor To Run Or Own A Hotel? Pls Air Your Views Wit Cogent Reasons Thanks by biina: 12:01pm On Apr 01, 2009
KunleOshob:

On the contrary the bible suggests that preachers and pastors should work so that they don't become a burden to their members like most of our pastors today are. Below are excerpts from paul's second letter to the church at thessalonians:

2 Thessalonians 3:6-10:
6 And now, dear brothers and sisters, we give you this command in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ: Stay away from all believers who live idle lives and don’t follow the tradition they received from us. 7 For you know that you ought to imitate us. We were not idle when we were with you. 8 We never accepted food from anyone without paying for it. We worked hard day and night so we would not be a burden to any of you. 9 We certainly had the right to ask you to feed us, but we wanted to give you an example to follow. 10 Even while we were with you, we gave you this command: “Those unwilling to work will not get to eat.”
I didn't say all Christians or church workers should not work. Paul was setting an example to a young flock.

Questions you should ponder are
- why the levites didn't get a share of the inheritance and only homes to live in
- why priests and prophets in the bible weren't mentioned to have jobs.
- why Jesus asked the disciples to abandon their jobs.
- why john the baptist didn't have a job
- why paul often gave thanks to people that ministered to his needs
- Jesus who shunned violence at other times, threw out people that were trading in the temple
Re: Is't Good For A Church Or Pastor To Run Or Own A Hotel? Pls Air Your Views Wit Cogent Reasons Thanks by KunleOshob(m): 12:19pm On Apr 01, 2009
biina:

I didn't say all Christians or church workers should not work. Paul was setting an example to a young flock.

Questions you should ponder are
- why the levites didn't get a share of the inheritance and only homes to live in
- why priests and prophets in the bible weren't mentioned to have jobs.
- why Jesus asked the disciples to abandon their jobs.
- why john the baptist didn't have a job
- why paul often gave thanks to people that ministered to his needs
- Jesus who shunned violence at other times, threw out people that were trading in the temple

Well our pastors today hardly follow paul's example even though it is ok for them to depend on the church for support it is NOT compulsary and if it is done it should be basic support to cover food and shelter, the the lavacious lifestyle our pentecostal preachers are living today. That apart the examples of levites, priests and prophets of the old testament you gave does not suffice, they were under the old convenant(practising a different religion) whilst we are under the new seperate rules apply to us. Also Abraham was a prophet in the old testament and he was also avery wealthy trader hence he had a business. The examples we ought to follow are the examples left to us by the apostles and their teachings and practises. On the issue of Jesus and his disciples, you cannot compare the ministry of Jesus to that of any pastor leaing or dead. It is biblical for the congregation to support the preachers but it is not neccessarily compulsary. Nothing stops preachers from working to support themselves like Paul did.
Re: Is't Good For A Church Or Pastor To Run Or Own A Hotel? Pls Air Your Views Wit Cogent Reasons Thanks by biina: 6:01pm On Apr 01, 2009
KunleOshob:

Well our pastors today hardly follow paul's example even though it is ok for them to depend on the church for support it is NOT compulsary and if it is done it should be basic support to cover food and shelter, the the lavacious lifestyle our pentecostal preachers are living today. That apart the examples of levites, priests and prophets of the old testament you gave does not suffice, they were under the old convenant (practising a different religion) whilst we are under the new seperate rules apply to us. Also Abraham was a prophet in the old testament and he was also avery wealthy trader hence he had a business. The examples we ought to follow are the examples left to us by the apostles and their teachings and practises. On the issue of Jesus and his disciples, you cannot compare the ministry of Jesus to that of any pastor leaing or dead. It is biblical for the congregation to support the preachers but it is not neccessarily compulsary. Nothing stops preachers from working to support themselves like Paul did.
My statement was that 'I dont think pastors or the church should be involved in any form of business'.

Remembering that Jesus did not come to change the laws, I am not for discarding the teaching of the OT under the guise of a new covenant, but rather seeking the underlying notion for the law, which is always in harmony in both the OT and NT. Guidance in all parts of the bible are all aimed at the primary goal of drawing us closer to God. If one keeps this in mind, then a lot of things that seem to be in discord between and/or within the OT and NT, would be seen to be in harmony.

For me, a pastor should be in full-time service of the lord, I say so because full dedication by a pastor,without the desires and distractions, of the world, gives a more conducive environment for the spiritual development needed, and shepherding of the flock. The support of the church and his wife's income should be sufficient for him to lead a moderate life (as I don't support a pastor  living in lavishness, but that is a different issue which likely deserves its own thread). The whole issue comes back to the unavoidable conflict of interests, for every second you spend in pursuit of your livelihood, takes away from your time of fellowship with the Lord. This needed dedication to the Lord is why the priests and apostles did not pursue other interests.

In my initial sweeping reference of 'priest and prophets' I was actually referring to those that were in the service of the Lord, and wasn't including everyone that God spoke through or used. Thus Abraham wasn't on my initial list. Even then, let us consider the conflict between Abraham and Lot over the land. With full glory to the Lord is the amicable solution that was found (though one cannot ascertain how bad the conflict had gotten) but it could also have easily gone south, if for instance Lot was not is kinsmen. I prefer to avoid situations where a pastor, being human, due to his failure in the work place, causes another to sin by speaking against God or his anointed.

The foundation of a business is profitability - anything else and its not a business. Money making interests are often not aligned with the spiritual growth of the church, and thus it is a dicey situation to  let the church get caught up in the middle. Members of the church can run a business, and donate as much of the proceeds as they deem fit, but the church as en entity shouldn't stoop so low and get itself caught up in the mire of the world.

I do appreciate that the demands that certain pastors put on the church is often unjustifiable, and some congregations do not consider the welfare of a full-time pastor (or even misbehave further on the grounds that the pastor lives of their earnings), still I would rather correct those ills than set off down a path that would likely be worse off for the church.
Re: Is't Good For A Church Or Pastor To Run Or Own A Hotel? Pls Air Your Views Wit Cogent Reasons Thanks by KunleOshob(m): 12:38pm On Apr 02, 2009
@Biina
point noted wink

(1) (Reply)

Churches Have Turned To Beer Parlours & Their Pastors Preach Heresy / Attributes Of Pride / How Can A Person Know Which Religion Is Right?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.