Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,693 members, 7,816,834 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:18 PM

An Engineer Needs An Advice - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / An Engineer Needs An Advice (3761 Views)

An IWCF Certified Engineer Needs A Job So Badly / What Certification Can I Do As An Engineer? / An Aspiring Marine Engineer Needs Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Engineer Needs An Advice by Dudecaf007: 10:49am On Aug 08, 2015
I graduated as an engineer, precisely civil Engr.,i graduated almost 4 years ago and has been in to personal business to keep body and soul together due to Job in availability in the country..

I just discovered I had this passion to practice and work as an engineer inspite of my current business engagement..I have only ISPON certification which i acquire during my Nysc days.

I really want to go back to engineering carrier because I see the passion of engineering not letting me sleep and sometime feel unfulfilled despite my current business..

Pls I want a professional advice on the possible additional certificate courses I can do in tune with civil engineering that can help me practically, especially in practice and job wise,as I have not practice since my graduation due to the Nigeria economic factor of unemployment.

Please I need mature advice from professionals and practising engineers in the house..what possible courses or training do I need to help me in practice and to stand a chance in getting a job in civil lane and also be of refreshal training since I have graduated for a couple of years now..

Remember dream is not what you see when you sleep but that that doesn't make you sleep...

Please I await your various benevolent advice..

Thanks
Re: An Engineer Needs An Advice by Nobody: 11:02am On Aug 08, 2015
You just called your self a Civil Engineer but the question is, are you truly a Civil Engineer or are you one of those half baked Civil Engineers that Nigerian universities now produce.

If you dont have design skills in Civil Engineering, if you can't do design calculations manually for beams, columns, slab, etc. Detailing etc etc then you are just a foreman. Then I suggest u attach ur self to some bodies site and gain foreman experience .

But if u learnt how to do design calculations then you are a true Civil Engineer and God bless you for that. If I even see you I will dash you money. Then get laptop and get design software's and get yourself ready for the industry. Link yourself with any experienced civil engineer and be his errand boy in the profession and before long you will learn the ropes and be like him. I dont believe civil engineers should be on salary. My friend were already building houses for people before we graduated self.

Sorry if I offended u sha!
Re: An Engineer Needs An Advice by akaahs(m): 1:22pm On Aug 08, 2015
Wow, i'm also experiencin dsame feelin as u do but i work with a government parastatal though HND holder i feel i can only give my best practicin my profession, so what i decided to do is attatched myself with a construction site as im typin now i'm in d site workin. So if ur very good in design and detailin u can start on ur own but if ur not too good as myself go get a consultancy firm or site Engineer to brush u up. One thing i hv for is to follow ur as it 'll bring out d best in u.
Re: An Engineer Needs An Advice by Dudecaf007: 2:28pm On Aug 08, 2015
Thanks so much for your contribution...your contribution is indeed worthwhile.
Re: An Engineer Needs An Advice by baba11(m): 7:58pm On Aug 08, 2015
The commenters above me gave you the best of advices..in an engineering ,much of paper qualifications are not needed except Bsc.....Start from somewhere and get going bros..

I,as a person,when I started practising as an engineer nearly two years ago,my salary was not too encouraging but nowadays,I decide which coy I'm to work for.

Generally, there's no money in the country but with your intended field experience, you can still be managing till economy get better..

All is well!!!!!
Re: An Engineer Needs An Advice by ojmaroni247(m): 10:56pm On Aug 08, 2015
My friend,u don't hav to design or knw hw to use design software to be called an Engineer,I studied Mech engineering,and I went to a technical schl afterwards and acquired a proffessional certificate in PIPELINE FITTING a.k.a am a pipe fitter,we are nt designers of the pipeline system but we are builders,we construct the piping system,we bring paper work to reality. What am saying in essense is dat Engineering is divided into various sides,design,construction,manufacturing etc. @ OP it depends on we're u wana specialize,u can as well do paper work,softwares or go Hands-on ,dats field work...luk for trainings dat can give u both practical and theoritical feel.
underlinee:
You just called your self a Civil Engineer but the question is, are you truly a Civil Engineer or are you one of those half baked Civil Engineers that Nigerian universities now produce.

If you dont have design skills in Civil Engineering, if you can't do design calculations manually for beams, columns, slab, etc. Detailing etc etc then you are just a foreman. Then I suggest u attach ur self to some bodies site and gain foreman experience .

But if u learnt how to do design calculations then you are a true Civil Engineer and God bless you for that. If I even see you I will dash you money. Then get laptop and get design software's and get yourself ready for the industry. Link yourself with any experienced civil engineer and be his errand boy in the profession and before long you will learn the ropes and be like him. I dont believe civil engineers should be on salary. My friend were already building houses for people before we graduated self.

Sorry if I offended u sha!
Re: An Engineer Needs An Advice by Nobody: 11:30pm On Aug 08, 2015
ojmaroni247:
My friend,u don't hav to design or knw hw to use design software to be called an Engineer,I studied Mech engineering,and I went to a technical schl afterwards and acquired a proffessional certificate in PIPELINE FITTING a.k.a am a pipe fitter,we are nt designers of the pipeline system but we are builders,we construct the piping system,we bring paper work to reality. What am saying in essense is dat Engineering is divided into various sides,design,construction,manufacturing etc. @ OP it depends on we're u wana specialize,u can as well do paper work,softwares or go Hands-on ,dats field work...luk for trainings dat can give u both practical and theoritical feel.

Its interesting to know that you are a Mechanical Engineer like myself, I graduated in 2008 from Uniport. I served in 2009 and I worked as a mechanical engineer till 2013. I resigned in June 2013 and started my own Engineering company. I started business practically in 2014 after learning piling and foundation from a friend for 1 year. I am 30yrs old now and I am MD/CEO of MECTEC CONTRACT NIG LTD. And I have contract award letters totaling over 43 million Naira as we speak. I use them to my advantage when engaging prospective clients.

While working with my friend I had to develop bill of quantities from a structural design of a 2 story building because the civil engineer we employed could not do it...just imagine!!!

Now back to the topic, if you look closely you will see that the OP is still confused about which path to take in his profession. But you see, Civil Engineering encourages entreprenurship unlike mechanical engineering that convinces us that our whole body is covered ones we hide our head inside a salary paying job. My aim was to channel the OP's strides towards entreprenurship. I dont want him to be an ordinary site engineer who can not design because that means he will be working under people for the rest of his life just like u if you dont wise up.

By the way, i also design petroleum storage tanks in acordance with API 650 and i design tank farms too, complete with piping and instrumentation. I also design piles, pile caps and jetties (calculations and AutoCAD drawings). So you see, if you want to be boss, you need extraordinary skills until I can afford to out source these services.

My brother I believe you are good at what you do but if we meet on site, you may be taking instructions from me because i had employed a couple of your kind when i was constructing storage tanks at Apapa.

Rethink your path!!!!!
Regards
Re: An Engineer Needs An Advice by ojmaroni247(m): 1:34pm On Aug 09, 2015
Well u have a very gud Point, I also graduated same year wit u from FUTO,but u worked from 2009-2013 and also gained ur piling experience fr 1yr from a friend,so uv got de experience,u even design according to American Petroleum Institute (API) codes and standards and ASME,a normal autocad user or designer might be gud but don't knw all dis,the OP is trying to figure a part,u didn't start ur company wen u finished NYSC. The OP needs de experience,secondly I can start a company with jst de use of pipe fitters nd pipe welders,we might nt do the design but we already knw hw to read,interpret and execute any piping diagram. Cudos to ur company tho,dats a nice move,indegenous companies are wat we really need,enterprenueship is key to been fufilled. Respect SOMEG! No more SOMES
underlinee:

Its interesting to know that you are a Mechanical Engineer like myself, I graduated in 2008 from Uniport. I served in 2009 and I worked as a mechanical engineer till 2013. I resigned in June 2013 and started my own Engineering company. I started business practically in 2014 after learning piling and foundation from a friend for 1 year. I am 30yrs old now and I am MD/CEO of MECTEC CONTRACT NIG LTD. And I have contract award letters totaling over 43 million Naira as we speak. I use them to my advantage when engaging prospective clients.

While working with my friend I had to develop bill of quantities from a structural design of a 2 story building because the civil engineer we employed could not do it...just imagine!!!

Now back to the topic, if you look closely you will see that the OP is still confused about which path to take in his profession. But you see, Civil Engineering encourages entreprenurship unlike mechanical engineering that convinces us that our whole body is covered ones we hide our head inside a salary paying job. My aim was to channel the OP's strides towards entreprenurship. I dont want him to be an ordinary site engineer who can not design because that means he will be working under people for the rest of his life just like u if you dont wise up.

By the way, i also design petroleum storage tanks in acordance with API 650 and i design tank farms too, complete with piping and instrumentation. I also design piles, pile caps and jetties (calculations and AutoCAD drawings). So you see, if you want to be boss, you need extraordinary skills until I can afford to out source these services.

My brother I believe you are good at what you do but if we meet on site, you may be taking instructions from me because i had employed a couple of your kind when i was constructing storage tanks at Apapa.

Rethink your path!!!!!
Regards
Re: An Engineer Needs An Advice by ciscon: 12:09pm On Sep 05, 2015
I am so motivated going through this thread, thanks so much for your immense contribution. I'm a Civil Engineer, knowledgeable in Structural design but not fully practicing currently because I am employed and I presently carry out a role that is non related even though I have the opportunity to switch within the same organization but the remuneration would not be commensurate with the effort. Looking at starting my own firm within the shortest possible time. Still learning a lot in my present role. Meanwhile I have less than four years post graduate experience but have worked as site and project engineer before taking on this new role. Any useful advise would be highly appreciated.

(1) (Reply)

Salaries For Teaching And Non-teaching Staff In Nigeria / Get The British Investment As Low As $21. / Lagos State Ministry Of Youth And Social Development Empowerment Program

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.