Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,403 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:36 PM

Is It Adviceable Using Smartphones Bible In The Church? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Adviceable Using Smartphones Bible In The Church? (878 Views)

Why Did The Vatican Remove 14 Books From The Bible In 1684? / Lady Poses Nude With The Holy Bible In Viral Photoshoot: Media React / The Name "Muhammad" Is Written In The Bible In The Original Hebrew Language. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Adviceable Using Smartphones Bible In The Church? by mabeni(m): 2:54pm On Aug 11, 2015
Brothers and Sisters,
Is it common for your congregation to
read the Word during services with a
smartphone or tablet or some other
device with a screen? For me, I have a
tablet that has the Bible on it but have
never felt right to bring it to Church.
As technology grows, will our children
have the discipline to dive into God's
Word with a smartphone or tablet? Or will
it be too much of a distraction?

In other words, what's anybody using smartphones Bible in the church regarded as?
Re: Is It Adviceable Using Smartphones Bible In The Church? by INTROVERT(f): 2:55pm On Aug 11, 2015
not advisable.. distraction
Re: Is It Adviceable Using Smartphones Bible In The Church? by mabeni(m): 2:56pm On Aug 11, 2015
INTROVERT:
why?
Re: Is It Adviceable Using Smartphones Bible In The Church? by Melahou(m): 3:20pm On Aug 11, 2015
use what ever suites you...
the words are the same...
Re: Is It Adviceable Using Smartphones Bible In The Church? by ayoku777(m): 3:26pm On Aug 11, 2015
mabeni:
Brothers and Sisters,
Is it common for your congregation to
read the Word during services with a
smartphone or tablet or some other
device with a screen? For me, I have a
tablet that has the Bible on it but have
never felt right to bring it to Church.
As technology grows, will our children
have the discipline to dive into God's
Word with a smartphone or tablet? Or will
it be too much of a distraction?

In other words, what's anybody using smartphones Bible in the church regarded as?

As for me I can't even remember the last time I carried a paper-back or leaflet bible to church. My smartphone bible is what I've been using for a long time. Even before smartphone, I've been using my nokia phone java bible.

My smartphone bible is what I use for my study at home and take to church too. Apart from the fact that its so easy to open to books and navigate to verses, I can also open many versions and translations simultaneously; not to talk of switching between concordance and chain references and strong's hebrew and greek transliteration all at once. Its also super fast and convenient for word search or verses look-up.

To me, its not the paper-back or leaflet that makes the bible the word of God; it is the content or message in it. So whether it comes in manuscript (hand-written) format or printed format or e-format; its still the Word of God if the message is the same.

So no format should be discouraged, its all about the one you're more conversant with; which to me has always been the smartphone or e-format.

I think the reason some churches are against smartphone bibles is because some youths will be browsing in church during message while pretending to be opening verses and following the preaching. So to prevent this, some churches discourage smartphone bibles.

But the problem in that case is indiscipline, not the smartphone bible per se.

For me, nothing wrong with app-based bibles; its the way I've studied bibles and gone to church for the past three years or even longer. Even before smartphones -since java days.

I believe, if you're really serious about studying the word, the format it comes in will not be an issue or a distraction. Infact the app-based ones can help you study better because you can do a lot of things simultaenously on it compared to the printed format. My opinion.

Shalom!

5 Likes

Re: Is It Adviceable Using Smartphones Bible In The Church? by Sanchez01: 7:51pm On Aug 11, 2015
INTROVERT:
Not true. Anything can bring about distraction, even the typical Bible we carry to church can.

Mabeni, it's no crime as long as it serves its purpose while in church. Not necessarily smartphones alone. I remember I used to have a Franklin electronic Bible (more like an e-organizer) several years back. It served its purpose perfectly well and never hindered my study sessions.

The essence of the Bible/Scripture is not in holding or carrying to church every Sunday. It's being in the heart. This is why the Bible instructs that "This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth..." (Josh 1:cool, "Study to show yourselves approved unto God...", and "Let the word of God dwell richly in you" among many other verses are provided.
Re: Is It Adviceable Using Smartphones Bible In The Church? by mabeni(m): 10:19pm On Aug 11, 2015
Sanchez01:

Not true. Anything can bring about distraction, even the typical Bible we carry to church can.

Mabeni, it's no crime as long as it serves its purpose while in church. Not necessarily smartphones alone. I remember I used to have a Franklin electronic Bible (more like an e-organizer) several years back. It served its purpose perfectly well and never hindered my study sessions.

The essence of the Bible/Scripture is not in holding or carrying to church every Sunday. It's being in the heart. This is why the Bible instructs that "This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth..." (Josh 1:cool, "Study to show yourselves approved unto God...", and "Let the word of God dwell richly in you" among many other verses are provided.
nice response. Thanks.
Re: Is It Adviceable Using Smartphones Bible In The Church? by finofaya: 10:27pm On Aug 11, 2015
It's not advisable if church bores you.
Re: Is It Adviceable Using Smartphones Bible In The Church? by mabeni(m): 12:41pm On Aug 16, 2015
finofaya:
It's not advisable if church bores you.
could you please expantiate ur comment.?
Re: Is It Adviceable Using Smartphones Bible In The Church? by finofaya: 4:53pm On Aug 16, 2015
mabeni:
could you please expatriate ur comment.?

I think you use a phone for non church activities if you're less interested in what's going on in church.

(1) (Reply)

Prophet Snaps A Picture Of A Child "In The Spirit" With An Ipad [video] / Chris Brown Says He’s Tired Of Worshipping The Devil…and God Spoke To Him / Top 10 Richest Pastors In The World & Their Net Worth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.