Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,918 members, 7,838,273 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 06:22 PM

Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent (4592 Views)

What A Lady Did After A Man Tried Giving Her A Lift While It Was Raining / How To Identify A Fraudulent Online Store / The Representation Of Justice As A Female Goddess Carrying Balanced Scales (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by LordReed(m): 1:30pm On Aug 14, 2015
pickabeau1:

It is not irrelevant

The local content bill was made to address a wrong situation where indigenes (both male and female) were deprived in their own country to the benefit of foreigners.. from another country

why expose your own citizens to unemployment because u want to please foriegners

I don't have any problem with the local content policy, it is a wise step especially because of the perception that "only foreigners can make it work". If we can use quota to fight this kind of perception why does someone have a problem with using it to fight the "woman can't work like man" perception?

1 Like

Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by LordReed(m): 1:36pm On Aug 14, 2015
Timbuktou:

Your spiderman skills are enviable. Stop comparing apples and oranges.

What is under-representation? Who sets the benchmark for under-representation? Is it supposed to be a 50-50 thing, or could it be 60-40? I'm truly confused here. Where's the quota in this whole world for men who are "under-represented" in professions like say Nursing?

If you do not understand that Local Content bill is supposed to secure what rightly belongs to Nigerians to its rightful owners, then I'm afraid we're at an impasse. If you don't understand the analogy of LCB to a household, then I've been wasting my time.

Your inability to think is frightening.

Your ability to obfuscate is nauseating. Is LCB not a quota system? Did you not explicitly say that quotas are bad? Now quotas are good. Hypocrite.

1 Like

Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by pickabeau1: 1:39pm On Aug 14, 2015
LordReed:

I don't have any problem with the local content policy, it is a wise step especially because of the perception that "only foreigners can make it work". If we can use quota to fight this kind of perception why does someone have a problem with using it to fight the "woman can't work like man" perception?

I am confused as to what the issue is..except you are equating a country to a gender
Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by Nobody: 1:43pm On Aug 14, 2015
Let me help your comprehension LordReed:

Merit System:

Seun PLC wants to fill 10 positions in its company. There are 20 male and 15 female aspirants for these positions. The usual tests and interviews are conducted after which 10 of the initial 35 with the highest scores overall are offered employment. The ratio male to female is 8:2. The olodos go home and that's that.

Quota System:

In Seun PLC above, they have a quota system for women where 50% of women applicants are to be employed; this is in a bid to ensure "equal representation" in the workforce and also to eliminate "discrimination" against women.

Therefore, in line with company policy, they decide to whittle off 3 of the 8 males who performed best and pick 3 females who performed poorly to make up for quota slots.

LordReed, if after this simple illustration you do not see the disingenuity and the apparent double standards of female quotas where merit should be the requirement, I'm sorry for wasting your time.

2 Likes

Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by LordReed(m): 1:48pm On Aug 14, 2015
pickabeau1:

I am confused as to what the issue is..except you are equating a country to a gender

I have stated that quotas are at best stop gap measures to combat certain ills. If this local content bill is a welcome development it goes to show that indeed quotas are beneficial and if properly managed can be made to deliver. Local content policy does not promote mediocrity as any company bidding for any contract must still demonstrate competence. Carry this over to any quota system to increase female participation, is that such a bad thing? There is no attempt to equate country to gender, I am simply pointing out parallels.
Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by pickabeau1: 1:57pm On Aug 14, 2015
LordReed:

I have stated that quotas are at best stop gap measures to combat certain ills. If this local content bill is a welcome development it goes to show that indeed quotas are beneficial and if properly managed can be made to deliver. Local content policy does not promote mediocrity as any company bidding for any contract must still demonstrate competence. Carry this over to any quota system to increase female participation, is that such a bad thing? There is no attempt to equate country to gender, I am simply pointing out parallels.

ok
Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by Nobody: 2:00pm On Aug 14, 2015
LordReed:

Your ability to obfuscate is nauseating. Is LCB not a quota system? Did you not explicitly say that quotas are bad? Now quotas are good. Hypocrite.

You bloody liar. Show a quote where I have said so in this thread, which by the way you have attempted to derail. If you have no contribution to make you are at liberty to tuck tail and flee. You're not the only invitee, some have declined commenting. Not you, you have chosen to comment rubbish.

Again, show the quote in this thread where I have "explicitly said" quotas are bad.

1 Like

Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by LordReed(m): 2:04pm On Aug 14, 2015
Timbuktou:
Let me help your comprehension LordReed:

Merit System:

Seun PLC wants to fill 10 positions in its company. There are 20 male and 15 female aspirants for these positions. The usual tests and interviews are conducted after which 10 of the initial 35 with the highest scores overall are offered employment. The ratio male to female is 8:2. The olodos go home and that's that.

Quota System:

In Seun PLC above, they have a quota system for women where 50% of women applicants are to be employed; this is in a bid to ensure "equal representation" in the workforce and also to eliminate "discrimination" against women.

Therefore, in line with company policy, they decide to whittle off 3 of the 8 males who performed best and pick 3 females who performed poorly to make up for quota slots.

LordReed, if after this simple illustration you do not see the disingenuity and the apparent double standards of female quotas where merit should be the requirement, I'm sorry for wasting your time.

Let me help your comprehension:

Local Content Policy says Company X is coming into Nigeria to do business and is required to have a minimum of 20%(assumed figure I don't have the exact minimum required) of it's workforce to be indigenous. Simple definition of quota.

To increase female participation in STEM companies, employ at minimum 20% women. Simple definition of quota.

But for you one is good but the other is bad. Double standard or what?

1 Like

Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by LordReed(m): 2:12pm On Aug 14, 2015
Timbuktou:

You bloody liar. Show a quote where I have said so in this thread, which by the way you have attempted to derail. If you have no contribution to make you are at liberty to tuck tail and flee. You're not the only invitee, some have declined commenting. Not you, you have chosen to comment rubbish.

Again, show the quote in this thread where I have "explicitly said" quotas are bad.

I did not say it was on this thread you said it. Here is your response on the thread by 5minsmadness

https://www.nairaland.com/2501341/why-women-weaker-sex-what/6#36635370

Timbuktou:

1. Every system is easy to misappropriate. However, the very essence of a quota system is anti-equality, end of. Feminists/feminism cannot claim to fight for equality and in the same breath clamour for and accept special treatment in the form of quotas. It is discriminatory.

2. The idea of a quota has already ruled out merit. There is already an "ism" in it; it's womanism. There must be a certain number of women in the system not because they're competent but because they are women.

3. Quotas are discriminatory and the thought should only be considered in passing and rightly shelved. They should not be desperately clamoured for by people who paradoxically are screeching for equality.

4. I would request that you prove this unfair competition. Taking Fortune 500 companies as a case study; what exactly is the proportion of founders between both sexes. Are men stopping women from starting and owning their own companies? Aren't there women who have founded successful companies?

Was this not you writing this or was it a doppelganger?

EDIT: Yes I know I exposed your hypocrisy and you want me out of the thread but like your profile says the truth hurts, here take a band-aid.

Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by pickabeau1: 2:18pm On Aug 14, 2015
LordReed:

Let me help your comprehension:

Local Content Policy says Company X is coming into Nigeria to do business and is required to have a minimum of 20%(assumed figure I don't have the exact minimum required) of it's workforce to be indigenous. Simple definition of quota.

To increase female participation in STEM companies, employ at minimum 20% women. Simple definition of quota.

But for you one is good but the other is bad. Double standard or what?

That is not local content.. you did not understand... that's why uve been arguing since

Local Content says a Nigerian organization is to give a contract
It should be given to a Nigerian except it is shown Nigerians cannot do it

I am sure you know you need work permit to work abroad if u are not a citizen
IS that also a quota system..lol

It is because of the laxness of the expatriate work quota system that we need regulation to ensure Nigerians are given jobs
Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by LordReed(m): 2:26pm On Aug 14, 2015
pickabeau1:

That is not local content.. you did not understand... that's why uve been arguing since

Local Content says a Nigerian organization is to give a contract
It should be given to a Nigerian except it is shown Nigerians cannot do it

I think you need to read the local content policy again. It clearly denotes that there must be minimum number of Nigerians in the employ of a company making a bid.
Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by LordReed(m): 2:28pm On Aug 14, 2015
pickabeau1:

Yes it is considered a quota system also limiting the number of imports is a quota system.
Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by pickabeau1: 2:29pm On Aug 14, 2015
LordReed:

I think you need to read the local content policy again. It clearly denotes that there must be minimum number of Nigerians in the employ of a company making a bid.

Nope.. the intent of the local content policy is that you have Nigerians working..not a minimum number
you have to show why that job cannot be done by a Nigerian and then prepare a Technology Transfer Plan to show how you intend to nigerianise the job

Dude,... don't be arguing if u don't know ish

2 Likes

Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by LordReed(m): 2:43pm On Aug 14, 2015
pickabeau1:

Nope.. the intent of the local content policy is that you have Nigerians working..not a minimum number
you have to show why that job cannot be done by a Nigerian and then prepare a Technology Transfer Plan to show how you intend to nigerianise the job

From the act. If this does not tell you there is a minimum number for employment then you need help.

Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by LordReed(m): 2:48pm On Aug 14, 2015
More from the act

Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by LordReed(m): 3:05pm On Aug 14, 2015
Still more

Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by LordReed(m): 3:06pm On Aug 14, 2015
pickabeau1:

Don't argue when you know jack $hit.

1 Like

Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by Nobody: 3:54pm On Aug 14, 2015
LordReed:

I did not say it was on this thread you said it.

Oh, not on this thread? And you claim to not have comprehension problems? Mister, you're thick. I made a simple request, produce a quote to that effect from this thread, you've spun another series of webs to another thread. You have deliberately conflated unrelated elements and passed them off as one and you're wailing about someone else's "obfuscation". A clear case of the owner labeled a thief by the thief.

You refuse to own up to your reasoning and comprehension deficiency yet your comments repeatedly affirm they're alive and well. I know you find it hard to leave without looking like a dolt but never mind you won't be judged, your abilities/lack of are apparent and we don't care.

And in the spirit of my profile, here's your band aid. You need it more.

2 Likes

Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by pickabeau1: 4:09pm On Aug 14, 2015
smh
Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by LordReed(m): 4:11pm On Aug 14, 2015
Timbuktou:

Oh, not on this thread? And you claim to not have comprehension problems? Mister, you're thick. I made a simple request, produce a quote to that effect from this thread, you've spun another series of webs to another thread. You have deliberately conflated unrelated elements and passed them off as one and you're wailing about someone else's "obfuscation". A clear case of the owner labeled a thief by the thief.

You refuse to own up to your reasoning and comprehension deficiency yet your comments repeatedly affirm they're alive and well. I know you find it hard to leave without looking like a dolt but never mind you won't be judged, your abilities/lack of are apparent and we don't care.

And in the spirit of my profile, here's your band aid. You need it more.

Dunce, I have exposed your frigging hypocrisy and left your ego bruised. Go home to mama and lick your wounds. No rather take the bruises like the man you project to be.
Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by Nobody: 4:26pm On Aug 14, 2015
LordReed:

Dunce, I have exposed your frigging hypocrisy and left your ego bruised. Go home to mama and lick your wounds. No rather take the bruises like the man you project to be.

Tw@t, you don't have enough brain cells to reveal anything. How about I call your mama to come lick your own wounds? We know you're a pant-sniffer, so again call one of those whose pants you so giddily sniff to come help lift your imbecilic self.

2 Likes

Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by LordReed(m): 5:19pm On Aug 14, 2015
Timbuktou:

Tw@t, you don't have enough brain cells to reveal anything. How about I call your mama to come lick your own wounds? We know you're a pant-sniffer, so again call one of those whose pants you so giddily sniff to come help lift your imbecilic self.

LOL! Chai na so e pain you reach??!!! LOL, I don't need to call anyone except to come and comfort you after you saw the nightmare of your self deluded hypocrisy. I am sure you scare yourself when you look in the mirror sometimes, you are that deluded.

1 Like

Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by Nobody: 6:23pm On Aug 14, 2015
LordReed:

LOL! Chai na so e pain you reach??!!! LOL, I don't need to call anyone except to come and comfort you after you saw the nightmare of your self deluded hypocrisy. I am sure you scare yourself when you look in the mirror sometimes, you are that deluded.

You for talk pass your mouth again na. I'm done talking to your straw-brained self. You're free to mention me though. This is my thread after all.

3 Likes

Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by LordReed(m): 6:29pm On Aug 14, 2015
Timbuktou:

You for talk pass your mouth again na. I'm done talking to your straw-brained self. You're free to mention me though. This is my thread after all.

The processing power in my "straw-brain" out classes that of yours by a factor of a million, you should go and hide what passes for your head in shame.

I am here and ready for encorés hypocrite.
Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by mikolo80: 2:39am On Aug 20, 2016
LordReed:

Question: do you think the local content bill is discriminatory?
yes it is. It breeds complacency, increases cost that is passed on to consumer
Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by mikolo80: 2:43am On Aug 20, 2016
Timbuktou:

Your spiderman skills are enviable. Stop comparing apples and oranges.

What is under-representation? Who sets the benchmark for under-representation? Is it supposed to be a 50-50 thing, or could it be 60-40? I'm truly confused here. Where's the quota in this whole world for men who are "under-represented" in professions like say Nursing?

If you do not understand that Local Content bill is supposed to secure what rightly belongs to Nigerians to its rightful owners, then I'm afraid we're at an impasse. If you don't understand the analogy of LCB to a household, then I've been wasting my time.

Your inability to think is frightening.
if they can't compete now they won't be able to when they get the local content. Level playing ground is what should be encouraged
Re: Giving Women Quotas For "Representation" Is Discriminatory And Fraudulent by LordReed(m): 5:53pm On Aug 20, 2016
mikolo80:
yes it is. It breeds complacency, increases cost that is passed on to consumer

You should take that up with the OP.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Facebook Vs Nairaland Which Do Nigerians Prefare / Where Is Nigeria Going Too: The Sausage Roll(gala) I Bought Today. / Let's See The Pretty Or Ugly Face Behind Your Funny Nick Names(somebody Might Be Interested)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.