Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,495 members, 7,823,158 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:56 AM

Earthen Pond Construction. (fish Pond) Pics. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Earthen Pond Construction. (fish Pond) Pics. (29082 Views)

My Fish Pond Construction Project In Benin City / How I Started My Earthen Pond Fish Farming In Abuja / Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Earthen Pond Construction. (fish Pond) Pics. by Calyb(m): 10:14pm On Aug 12, 2015
My country men, the present government are preaching diversification of our economy from oil to agriculture, so I decided to kick start mine before the FG starts it in full. I am about to construct an earthen pond that will contain at most 5000 catfish from fingerling stage to adult stage. What will be the most appropriate size of the pond in feets will be best I am suggesting 40ftx30ftx4ft to be adequate. Please, nairalanders, help me out in this project. I am only good in concrete pond construction. Thanks in anticipation.
Caly-b Fish Consult
Calybreserve@gmail.com
Abuja. Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Earthen Pond Construction. (fish Pond) Pics. by nzeobi(m): 10:22pm On Aug 12, 2015
Earthern pond is good bt they may be issues with flooding and subsidence
Re: Earthen Pond Construction. (fish Pond) Pics. by wellmax(m): 10:25pm On Aug 12, 2015
Well done. Please I need this info. Keep posting.
Re: Earthen Pond Construction. (fish Pond) Pics. by Calyb(m): 10:27pm On Aug 12, 2015
Forget about the problems and let's face the prospects for now. Thanks though.

2 Likes

Re: Earthen Pond Construction. (fish Pond) Pics. by reaky(m): 4:08am On Aug 13, 2015
Why dint you continue on the other tread ?
Re: Earthen Pond Construction. (fish Pond) Pics. by BELEXYFARMS(m): 6:42am On Aug 13, 2015
40ft *40ft *4ft earthen pond will be appropriate.
#but it also depends on the type of earthen pond. Is it a 24hrs flow-through earthen pond or a stagnant pond? That will ultimately help you know the appropriate stocking density.
Re: Earthen Pond Construction. (fish Pond) Pics. by Calyb(m): 2:25pm On Aug 13, 2015
Pegging ongoing now. I will like the room to share ideas so as to live on.

1 Like

Re: Earthen Pond Construction. (fish Pond) Pics. by Nicogen4us(f): 6:11am On Aug 14, 2015
The best size for that quantity is 250by150 with 1.5metre depth in earthen pond of swampy area i.e 2 1/4 plot of land of either 100by50 or 120by60
Re: Earthen Pond Construction. (fish Pond) Pics. by Whynotthetruth(m): 2:52pm On Aug 14, 2015
Kudos bros...Here to learn wink

But can earthen pond be constructed or superimposed on a sandy environment... Plz how and processes involved... thanks my teachers...
Re: Earthen Pond Construction. (fish Pond) Pics. by Calyb(m): 8:07am On Nov 03, 2015
Yeah, its been a while. I went for a function so was so busy althrough.
Re: Earthen Pond Construction. (fish Pond) Pics. by Calyb(m): 8:10am On Nov 03, 2015
Digging and bagging for each pond cos 160,000 naira

Re: Earthen Pond Construction. (fish Pond) Pics. by noblefarm: 8:18am On Nov 03, 2015
Calyb:

Excuse me, digging n bagging 160k for each of the pond or for all the pond?
Re: Earthen Pond Construction. (fish Pond) Pics. by fm7070: 2:37pm On Nov 05, 2015
the 3 ponds cannot cost 160k.
let the OP come and clarify

1 Like

Re: Earthen Pond Construction. (fish Pond) Pics. by Whynotthetruth(m): 3:35pm On Nov 06, 2015
Whynotthetruth:
Kudos bros...Here to learn wink
But can earthen pond be constructed or superimposed on a sandy environment... Plz how and processes involved... thanks my teachers...

Calyb:

noblefarm:

fm7070:
the 3 ponds cannot cost 160k.
let the OP come and clarify

noblefarm:

Kindly answer my question quoted here plz my teachers...
Re: Earthen Pond Construction. (fish Pond) Pics. by Calyb(m): 12:11am On Nov 07, 2015
Like I said, its for a single pond
Re: Earthen Pond Construction. (fish Pond) Pics. by AreaFada2: 1:54am On Nov 07, 2015
ok
Re: Earthen Pond Construction. (fish Pond) Pics. by noblefarm: 9:54am On Nov 07, 2015
[quote author=Calyb post=39760216]Like I said, its for a single pond[/quote

Bros to me that price is too high, I did mine same size @70 per one with sand bagging nd net. Tho that's by the way cos the deal has been done already but try to bargain well next time
Re: Earthen Pond Construction. (fish Pond) Pics. by paulasca4real(m): 10:44am On Nov 07, 2015
Am the director or PSV CONSULT one of the leading fish consultant company in Nigeria. we ve build RAS in many state of the federation with good results coming everyday. feed formulation and equipment installation and building has being our major business.
pls i will advice that you dont start your fingerlings inside the earthen pond , take them to at least juvenile before introducing them to reduce mortality and cannibalism. and dont overstock your pond.

thanks.
for enquiries
Re: Earthen Pond Construction. (fish Pond) Pics. by Calyb(m): 2:06pm On Nov 08, 2015
Mr Paul, advertising here is not wrong, but it will make lots of sense if u open your own page where there wouldn't be criticism that's not Worthwhile. Those earthponds where. Stocked with juvenile, we have concrete ponds that we use to raise the fingerlings to juvenile stage. Thanks though.

2 Likes

Re: Earthen Pond Construction. (fish Pond) Pics. by Calyb(m): 2:10pm On Nov 08, 2015
Mr noblefarm, your earth pond and my earthpond are not in same area, or even not the same size, how do expect the price to be the same. There are many factors that deters pond construction. Although, I will still take your advise on the pricing when constructing the next one. Thanks
Re: Earthen Pond Construction. (fish Pond) Pics. by Calyb(m): 2:32pm On Nov 09, 2015

Re: Earthen Pond Construction. (fish Pond) Pics. by teflondoncuzo(m): 9:32pm On Nov 09, 2015
Nice, success all the way
Re: Earthen Pond Construction. (fish Pond) Pics. by melifew213(m): 11:04am On Nov 10, 2015
Calyb:
pardon my ignorance whats the bagging for, where is ur farm located in abuja. is the 160k per pond or for all.
Re: Earthen Pond Construction. (fish Pond) Pics. by MAAF: 11:53am On Nov 10, 2015
One of the advantages of earthen ponds is they are cheap to construct however the down side is that it is prone to flooding. I know of a fish farmer whose pond flooded and he came the next morning to discover that all his fish; nearly 6000 peices of catfish has been washed off to the nearby bushes and into the nearby river. Villagers came overnight and took all the fishes washed to the nearby location. Not only did that happen all the sand that was dug out of the earthen pond was washed back into the pond again burying the remaining catfish.
It was such a sorry sight. He had to abandon the fish project till dry season.
I still believe concrete ponds remain the best and most secure permanent way of fish production.
Anyway all the best in your project, we will be following.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Earthen Pond Construction. (fish Pond) Pics. by Nobody: 2:27am On Mar 30, 2016
Any update?
Re: Earthen Pond Construction. (fish Pond) Pics. by ultrazone(m): 1:19pm On May 21, 2016
zxc
Re: Earthen Pond Construction. (fish Pond) Pics. by jamace(m): 12:55pm On May 22, 2016
mercylicious:
Any update?
Ubiquitous sitl. grin grin Abeg, carry go. May God bless our hustle o.
Re: Earthen Pond Construction. (fish Pond) Pics. by Ttalk: 1:25pm On Sep 20, 2016
Re: Earthen Pond Construction. (fish Pond) Pics. by ultrazone(m): 5:39am On Jan 31, 2017
Cost of construct
Re: Earthen Pond Construction. (fish Pond) Pics. by engrnis911(m): 12:29pm On Nov 09, 2017
[quote author=noblefarm post=39767477][/quote]
Cost of Labour is a function of location & availability of workforce.
Re: Earthen Pond Construction. (fish Pond) Pics. by 6Milk(m): 1:47pm On Aug 17, 2019
Calyb:
Forget about the problems and let's face the prospects for now. Thanks though.
hi Mr calyb, you left the other thread.
Re: Earthen Pond Construction. (fish Pond) Pics. by jedisco(m): 9:37pm On Apr 12, 2020
Calyb:

@op
Nice work... Any updates on experiences so far? Would be nice to share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Where To Get Cheap Palm Oil / Practical Farmers Pls Share Ur Bitter Experience, Let Learn From Your Mistakes. / Pictures Of Obasanjo Encouraging Young Farmers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.