Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,442 members, 7,830,211 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:53 PM

I Substituted Okwaraji After He Slumped Against Angola- Sadi - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / I Substituted Okwaraji After He Slumped Against Angola- Sadi (864 Views)

Meet The Mother Of Sam Okwaraji: "FG Has Abandoned" (Photos) / Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) / Corpse And Burial Photos Of Saka Abdulazeez Who Slumped & Died During Training (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Substituted Okwaraji After He Slumped Against Angola- Sadi by mans114: 12:51pm On Aug 13, 2015
I substituted Okwaraji after he slumped against Angola- Sadi

By Mansur Abubakar @mansur_112

Former Super Eagles midfielder Dahiru Sadi revealed to Daily Trust that he was the player that substituted teammate Samuel Okwaraji after he collapsed in the ill-fated match against Angola in the 1989 African Cup of Nations qualifier at the national stadium in Lagos.

Wednesday was the 26th anniversary of Okwaraji’s death with many sports personalities across the country calling on the government to immortalize the former Stuttgart player who against the wishes of his club travelled to Nigeria to serve his fatherland.

In the chat with Sadi, the Saudi 1989 star also added to that call, saying heroes like Okwaraji deserve all the recognition they could get adding that it’s a shame that his family was allowed to suffer after his death.

“I vividly recalled events of that day in 1989, prior to that, we flew together from Germany to honour that game against Angola and I was tipped to start the game ahead of him but turn of events meant he started before me until the incident occurred (Okwaraji’s collapse) and I was asked to substitute him while he was rushed for treatment” Sadi told Daily Trust.
Meanwhile, on the eve of the anniversary, Nigeria Football Federation President, Amaju Pinnick put a call through to Lady Jane Okwaraji, Samuel’s mother who lives in Owerri, Imo State.

“Mama, there is nothing I can say other than to tell you to continue to take solace in the fact that Sochukwuma was a star for Nigeria, a name that no one has been able to forget no matter how much they tried. He was the quintessential professional and patriot per excellence.

“Please be rest assured that Sochukwuma will continue to be in our hearts and consciousness. He was a rare gem. I assure you that the NFF will continue to keep in touch with you.”

Pinnick recalled that as a young boy, he was at the National Stadium to watch the big match only to go home with a heavy heart after news broke of Okwaraji’s tragic departure.

“It was a horrible day, for someone like me and several other Nigerians who were right inside the National Stadium, Lagos that day. By all accounts, Sam Okwaraji was a consummate professional and was a shining example of patriotic fervor.”

NFF General Secretary, Dr. Mohammed Sanusi was also one of the scores of thousands of fans at the National Stadium, Lagos that fateful day.

Sanusi said: “That was a day better forgotten. We lost one of the most dedicated and committed players to have featured for any of the National Teams.”

A doctorate degree student of law, Okwaraji slumped under his own weight 13 minutes to the end of the match and was confirmed dead on arrival at the hospital.

Patrick Okwaraji, Samuel’s brother, said after the phone call by the NFF President. “We are grateful to the NFF President for his phone call. At least, Mama is feeling better now.”

Yesterday, the portrait of the late midfielder was displayed round the eight venues of the Federation Cup quarter –finals in remembrance of him.

(1) (Reply)

Mikel Shuns Captain Arm Band During Match / Malaga CF Vs NPFL All Stars. 12 August 2016 By 8:30pm / Pes Vs Fifa Which Is Better

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.