Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,227 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:59 AM

Seven-day Curfew Begins After Ooni’s Burial Today - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Seven-day Curfew Begins After Ooni’s Burial Today (1455 Views)

Oro: Curfew To Hold Tomorrow In Ikorodu,lagos... Women To Stay Indoor / Seven-day Curfew Begins After Ooni’s Burial Today / OONI-- Seven Day Curfew Begins In Ife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Seven-day Curfew Begins After Ooni’s Burial Today by Sanchez01: 1:15am On Aug 14, 2015
A seven-day curfew will begin after the remains of the late Ooni of Ife, Oba Okunade Sijuwade, Olubuse II, must have been buried on Friday, the town’s chiefs have said.

The spokesperson for the chiefs, Chief Dejo Adejobi, told our correspondent on the telephone on Thursday that the restriction of movement for the rites would start from 4pm today and would past for the next seven days.

But asked what the chiefs would do to ensure that the curfew would not affect visitors who would attend the burial, Adejobi said, “I understand you. Yes, we cannot invite people for the burial service and still restrict their movement. But you should understand that the service will start by 10am and the restriction of movement will start from 4:pm.”

Meanwhile, the burial rites which would herald the interment of the late monarch continued on Thursday as town criers from the palace moved round the town to enforce the chiefs’ order.

A resident, who witnessed the scene, Wunmi Adeoye, told our correspondent that the town criers beat their gongs as they moved round, warning residents not to come out tomorrow because movement would be restricted to enable the chiefs to carry out the remaining rites.

The town criers, according to him, warned violators of the order to be ready to face the consequences of their action.

He said, “Around 9.30am some persons from the palace came to Oja Titun and started beating traders and driving away traders. They said the people knew the burial rites still continued but came out to dare them.

“They have shut down the market and they said the rites would continue for seven days.”

Speaking with our correspondent, a resident who said she had visited Itakogun Market to buy some things, said some palace messengers went round ordering traders to immediately close their shops and vacate the markets in compliance with the order.

At Sabo Market, which is mostly populated by non-indigenes, traders hurriedly closed their shops as the news of the closure order of markets reached the place.

Some residents frown on the way the palace messengers flogged traders and those who crossed their path, saying they palace chiefs ought to have gone to the radio station to inform everybody that markets would be closed for seven days.

The announcement of movement restriction may confusion among those who were invited for the interdenominational service which would be held for the monarch before his remains would be interred at the palace.

The interment, which would take place inside the palace, it was gathered, would only be witnessed by some traditional chiefs.

The gates of the Ooni’s place were ajar when our correspondent visited the place on Thursday. This, the chiefs said, was one of the signs that the Ooni had left the world.

Preparations were also in top gear for the burial as workers were seen clearing the bush from Ife Junction to the main gate of the Obafemi Awolowo University on Thursday.
Source: http://www.punchng.com/news/seven-day-curfew-begins-after-oonis-burial-today/
Re: Seven-day Curfew Begins After Ooni’s Burial Today by tolugar: 1:17am On Aug 14, 2015
Ritual things on there mind.

Soon people will be declared missing

Kids, Virgins shld be In hiding.

2 Likes

Re: Seven-day Curfew Begins After Ooni’s Burial Today by Sanchez01: 1:18am On Aug 14, 2015
While the curfew is as a result of the passage rites of late Obas, some Great Ife, particularly the ladies, will be affected by the seven-day curfew. The 'new market' is known to be the haven for students.

Meanwhile... A particular chief is still AWOLgringringrin
Re: Seven-day Curfew Begins After Ooni’s Burial Today by pedel: 1:19am On Aug 14, 2015
Backward culture and tradition. Why shutting down the economy of the town because the king died and he needed to be buried?
Re: Seven-day Curfew Begins After Ooni’s Burial Today by OCHOGZ(m): 1:24am On Aug 14, 2015
Even NA soldiers have not successfully enforced a curvew tokless of palace thugs. angry

1 Like

Re: Seven-day Curfew Begins After Ooni’s Burial Today by akpanikpe(m): 1:26am On Aug 14, 2015
Sanchez01:
While the curfew is as a result of the passage rites of late Obas, some Great Ife, particularly the ladies, will be affected by the seven-day curfew. The 'new market' is known to be the haven for students.

Meanwhile... A particular chief is still AWOLgringringrin
The ABOBAKU cheesy has turn to ABOBASARE KABABA grin

2 Likes

Re: Seven-day Curfew Begins After Ooni’s Burial Today by Sanchez01: 1:32am On Aug 14, 2015
akpanikpe:

The ABOBAKU cheesy has turn to ABOBASARE KABABA grin
gringringrin... Wish the late Oba Sijuawade could just see the action of his most trusted chief.gringrin

On a more serious note, it's not a chieftancy title anyone should be proud of. Nigeria is bad, Jonathan molested Nigeria, still, nobody wants to die.grin

1 Like

Re: Seven-day Curfew Begins After Ooni’s Burial Today by Tolexander: 5:16am On Aug 14, 2015
I think some of these cultural rights and traditions should be done away with or be le think ss intense with.

The world is outgrowing this, why trying to be stuck to the past and not embracing the future?

Ya, we need to observe the culture and tradition, not to the extent of total paralyzing of commercial activities
Re: Seven-day Curfew Begins After Ooni’s Burial Today by akpanikpe(m): 6:36am On Aug 14, 2015
Sanchez01:

gringringrin... Wish the late Oba Sijuawade could just see the action of his most trusted chief.gringrin

On a more serious note, it's not a chieftancy title anyone should be proud of. Nigeria is bad, Jonathan molested Nigeria, still, nobody wants to die.grin
I'm telling you bro.

1 Like

Re: Seven-day Curfew Begins After Ooni’s Burial Today by Sanchez01: 6:37am On Aug 14, 2015
Tolexander:
I think some of these cultural rights and traditions should be done away with or be le think ss intense with.

The world is outgrowing this, why trying to be stuck to the past and not embracing the future?

Ya, we need to observe the culture and tradition, not to the extent of total paralyzing of commercial activities
You know, as much as I don't support the killing of others just because someone passed on, our culture is worth protecting (maybe they modify some aspects).

The world is outgrowing nothing. China, despite boasting a wealthy economy, is highly cultural. We cannot totally take some parts away just because it restricts certain things. Believe me, the burial of the Ooni would witness the presence of tourists who would want to see how events play out during a king's burial.

Final, our maintenance culture as a people is very bad. Majority of the so-called museums around are filled with different types of rocks, rather than pictures of past way of life that depicts how we used to live.

Culture is still important to us, no matter how vain we may think it is.
Re: Seven-day Curfew Begins After Ooni’s Burial Today by handie(m): 6:43am On Aug 14, 2015
Na wa o! I hope they've seen their abobaku who ran and did a change of name to emi olekun... Nigga resigned on technical ground(who no wan see whether Jon Snow go return for game of thrones season 6?)
Re: Seven-day Curfew Begins After Ooni’s Burial Today by Sanchez01: 6:49am On Aug 14, 2015
handie:
Na wa o! I hope they've seen their abobaku who ran and did a change of name to emi olekun... Nigga resigned on technical ground(who no wan see whether Jon Snow go return for game of thrones season 6?)
Lolzgrin

Perhaps the problem could be that the chief is aggrieved. Probably he was not well taken care of by the Oba while he was alive. He may have ran away feeling he was short-changed.grin
Re: Seven-day Curfew Begins After Ooni’s Burial Today by BlueK1(m): 6:57am On Aug 14, 2015
All in the name of culture,
Re: Seven-day Curfew Begins After Ooni’s Burial Today by bonechamberlain(m): 7:06am On Aug 14, 2015
all this mediaval traditions in the 21st century has to stop. so people would be in doors for days because one man wants to be buried. this is why we won't grow in this country, imagine the profits to be lost in seven days. ohh I forgot its in osun.
Re: Seven-day Curfew Begins After Ooni’s Burial Today by Nobody: 7:10am On Aug 14, 2015
Haha, oga ooo, kini gan, on top wetin sef. Humans treating mortal like God, that's our medieval culture for you.
Re: Seven-day Curfew Begins After Ooni’s Burial Today by handie(m): 7:19am On Aug 14, 2015
Sanchez01:

Lolzgrin

Perhaps the problem could be that the chief is aggrieved. Probably he was not well taken care of by the Oba while he was alive. He may have ran away feeling he was short-changed.grin
hehehehe. He wasn't shortchanged @ all. He enjoyed everything oni enjoyed. First class flights, yacht cruises, properties in choice locations, good food and wine, rides in oni's choicest rides, women, and every other thing... Mistake they made was giving him a laptop, a nice TV and DSTV access... With DSTV, he got to watch and fall in love with the EPL. With laptop, he got to watch game of thrones. As I'm speaking with u, he has placed a bet on Chelsea retaining d Epl
Re: Seven-day Curfew Begins After Ooni’s Burial Today by 1love4all: 7:23am On Aug 14, 2015
handie:
hehehehe. He wasn't shortchanged @ all. He enjoyed everything oni enjoyed. First class flights, yacht cruises, properties in choice locations, good food and wine, rides in oni's choicest rides, women, and every other thing... Mistake they made was giving him a laptop, a nice TV and DSTV access... With DSTV, he got to watch and fall in love with the EPL. With laptop, he got to watch game of thrones. As I'm speaking with u, he has placed a bet on Chelsea retaining d Epl

Guy got me cracking.
But come what if its you.
Re: Seven-day Curfew Begins After Ooni’s Burial Today by Tolexander: 7:26am On Aug 14, 2015
Sanchez01:

You know, as much as I don't support the killing of others just because someone passed on, our culture is worth protecting (maybe they modify some aspects).

The world is outgrowing nothing. China, despite boasting a wealthy economy, is highly cultural. We cannot totally take some parts away just because it restricts certain things. Believe me, the burial of the Ooni would witness the presence of tourists who would want to see how events play out during a king's burial.

Final, our maintenance culture as a people is very bad. Majority of the so-called museums around are filled with different types of rocks, rather than pictures of past way of life that depicts how we used to live.

Culture is still important to us, no matter how vain we may think it is.
Culture is worth protecting, I don't and won't dispute that brother,

I believe you understand many cultural practices were drawn base on the time frame and applicable to that time.

China is rich in culture, but not all their previous cultural practices are retained not because of free will, but the retardation they will cause on the growth of the economy.
Historically, China has all it takes to be the world power centuries ago, why are they just joining the force now? China could have dominated the North American continent before the Europeans, only that they weren't interested in the world out theirs.

Some cultural practices retards development, especially the ones stagnating the economy. My post you quoted was actually targeting the part where all marketing activities should be paralysed for 7days.
Re: Seven-day Curfew Begins After Ooni’s Burial Today by Sanchez01: 7:46am On Aug 14, 2015
1love4all:

Guy got me cracking. But come what if its you.
Why would he die with another man. Is he Christgringringrin
Lalasticlala Ishilove
Re: Seven-day Curfew Begins After Ooni’s Burial Today by Sanchez01: 7:56am On Aug 14, 2015
handie:
Hehehehehe!!!gringringringringrin
Re: Seven-day Curfew Begins After Ooni’s Burial Today by xmich(m): 8:03am On Aug 14, 2015
Re: Seven-day Curfew Begins After Ooni’s Burial Today by walemoney007(m): 8:06am On Aug 14, 2015
pedel:
Backward culture and tradition. Why shutting down the economy of the town because the king died and he needed to be buried?
som of you. Pple get wahala,what is ur business with what is happenin in ife?
Re: Seven-day Curfew Begins After Ooni’s Burial Today by Sanchez01: 8:15am On Aug 14, 2015
Re: Seven-day Curfew Begins After Ooni’s Burial Today by handie(m): 8:48am On Aug 14, 2015
1love4all:

Guy got me cracking.
But come what if its you.
I no go run. I'm an honorable man. I'll keep to agreement. Afterall, I don enjoy enough and I don create mini me for everywhere. On a second thought, ma guy death na strong thing sha... All the good things of this life gone? Plus this one na willful death. Choi! I'll call for renegotiation
Re: Seven-day Curfew Begins After Ooni’s Burial Today by xmich(m): 8:50am On Aug 14, 2015
Sanchez01:

It's a kind of processed food undecided

Hope its a delicious kind of meal
Re: Seven-day Curfew Begins After Ooni’s Burial Today by pedel: 8:51am On Aug 14, 2015
walemoney007:
som of you. Pple get wahala,what is ur business with what is happenin in ife?
Some of you people type faster than you think. What makes you think I am not from Ife?
Re: Seven-day Curfew Begins After Ooni’s Burial Today by walemoney007(m): 8:57am On Aug 14, 2015
pedel:

Some of you people type faster than you think. What makes you think I am not from Ife?
den go and challenge dem in ife,instead of alwas whinin on d internet
Re: Seven-day Curfew Begins After Ooni’s Burial Today by redsun(m): 9:19am On Aug 14, 2015
The problem with some of culture is that they seem to be immune to innovations. Given that he died in oyinbo land,in oyinbo hands would have been enough to alter some of the disruptive cultural practices to suit the trend of time. We tend to be more concerned with what the ancestor thought in their time than what we think in our time.

(1) (Reply)

The Unique Culture Of Ekiti Land / Bearing In Mind The Definitions Of Culture, Is English Language A Nig. Culture / Aguleri Is The Ancestral Home Of The Igbos, Not Nri!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.