Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,295 members, 7,839,446 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:22 PM

God's Chosen People. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / God's Chosen People. (1055 Views)

Will God's Chosen People Do This ? ( Graphic ) / Which Is God's Chosen Religion? / How Do You Know When You Found The Right Man/Woman, That God has Chosen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

God's Chosen People. by mazaje(m): 3:14am On Mar 25, 2009
does anyone else have a problem with a god having a "chosen people"?  i think most people would claim that it would be immoral for a parent to show favoritism toward one of his children over the others.but that is exactly what the biblegod does  and not only does he order his preferred children to kick his other children out of their lands for no reason at all he also orders them to exterminate many of their brothers and sisters in the process.

If god decided to show favoritism to his "chosen people" and give them all the land(he sometime fail in delivering on his promise), why did he have to kill others to achieve his purpose?  he could have magically relocated the hebrew population to another portion of the earth and ensured that the geography would make it a land flowing with milk and honey by performing any act of divine intervention he chose or he could have magically transported the people of the nations that he drove from their lands to another location on the planet.  with no bloodshed required at all, why all the bloodshed all because of land that the biblegod decided to give out to his "chosen people".
Re: God's Chosen People. by papagiddy(m): 5:56am On Mar 26, 2009
@ mazaje. seems like you just hate GOD. how can a man be fightin his creator like this. most of all ur post here is anti God. my brother, u cant win o!
Re: God's Chosen People. by jagunlabi(m): 6:18pm On Mar 26, 2009
I had problem with this "chosen people" thingy since childhood,and i never got to grips with it.One minute this god loves us all equally,the next,he has a chosen people for whom he murders others.One of the many reasons why i quickly became aware of the falsehoods of this christian religion and saw it for what it really is.
Ofcourse this biblical "god" has a chosen people because those people(the jews) created this god for themselves.Quite logical when u think about it.If yoruba folks were to create a god for themselves,they would be the "chosen folks" of that god,ain't it?Makes good sense.Nobody creates a god that chooses others as his chosen ones,never.
Re: God's Chosen People. by Thor(m): 6:21pm On Mar 26, 2009
The jews are supposed to be God's ( the pretend persons) chosen people. That is why he (who does not exist) allowed more than 6,000,000 of them to be exterminated in WW2 by Hitler ,  LMAO  grin grin grin grin

God only exists in the minds of the weak and easily led  lipsrsealed
Re: God's Chosen People. by JeSoul(f): 7:39pm On Mar 26, 2009
mazaje:

does anyone else have a problem with a god having a "chosen people"?  i think most people would claim that it would be immoral for a parent to show favoritism toward one of his children over the others. but that is exactly what the biblegod does  and not only does he order his preferred children to kick his other children out of their lands for no reason at all he also orders them to exterminate many of their brothers and sisters in the process.
  Mazaje in what basic definition and context does God refer to the Isrealites as His "chosen people"? Have you read the entire bible and how the story plays out?

God chose the Israelites not to show favoritism to them and them only, He chose them to use to bring about His purpose and plan for the whole world. God chose Israel as the means with which He would bring about salvation for the whole world. Please read the entire bible not just portions that butress your beef.

and if you read the NT you'll see who this "Israel" and "chosen people" really are:
Romans 9
It is not as though God's word had failed. For not all who are descended from Israel are Israel.
Nor because they are his descendants are they all Abraham's children. On the contrary, "It is through Isaac
that your offspring will be reckoned." In other words, it is[u] not the natural children who are God's children[/u],
but it is the children of the promise who are regarded as Abraham's offspring

and who are these children of the promise? those who believe in Jesus and accept salvation.

As he says in Hosea:
   "I will call them 'my people' who are not my people;
      and I will call her 'my loved one' who is not my loved one,"[i] 26and,
   "It will happen that in the very place where it was said to them,
      'You are not my people,'
   they will be called 'sons of the living God.'

If god decided to show favoritism to his "chosen people" and give them all the land(he sometime fail in delivering on his promise), why did he have to kill others to achieve his purpose? 

Book, chapter and verses please?

he could have magically relocated the hebrew population to another portion of the earth and ensured that the geography would make it a land flowing with milk and honey by performing any act of divine intervention he chose or[b] he could have[/b] magically transported the people of the nations that he drove from their lands to another location on the planet.  with no bloodshed required at all, why all the bloodshed all because of land that the biblegod decided to give out to his "chosen people". 

How dare God not choose to work out the magic the way Mazaje wants?

Rm9: One of you will say to me: "Then why does God still blame us? For who resists his will?" But who are you, O man, to talk back to God? "Shall what is formed say to him who formed it, 'Why did you make me like this?' "Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for noble purposes and some for common use?
Re: God's Chosen People. by mazaje(m): 10:55pm On Mar 26, 2009
papa giddy:

@ mazaje. seems like you just hate GOD. how can a man be fightin his creator like this. [/b]most of all ur post here is anti God. my brother, u cant win o!

The biblegod is not my creator. . .

JeSoul:

Mazaje in what basic definition and context does God refer to the Isrealites as His "chosen people"? Have you read the entire bible and how the story plays out?

I have read the entire hebrew bible (old testament) and the writers of the hebrew bible clearly think that the god they created was enough to carry out their evil attrocities.

[b] God chose the Israelites not to show favoritism to them and them only, He chose them to use to bring about His purpose and plan for the whole world. God chose Israel as the means with which He would bring about salvation for the whole world. Please read the entire bible not just portions that butress your beef.

are you sure of what you are saying? the hebrew god of the old testament is a very tribal and ethnic god that seems very unhappy when the normadic jews whom he refers to as his chosen people mix with other people. he highly discourages them from marrying other non hebrew tribes. he urged them to enslave and brand other people. read the book of joshua, is there anything in joshua with its wars, its murders and massacres, its swords dripping with the blood of mothers and babies, its tortures, maimings and mutilations, its fraud and fury, its hatred and revenge calculated to improve the world? all it shows is how wicked and evil the mind of the god which the jews created in their own image is. The book of joshua is as merciless as famine, as ferocious as the heart of a wild beast. It is a history a justification a sanctification of nearly every crime.

The book of judges is about the same, nothing but war and bloodshed; the horrible story of jael and sisera; of Gideon and his trumpets and pitchers; of jephtha and his daughter, whom he murdered to please jehovah. The hebrew bible(old testament ) is filled with stories about god commanding his choen people to kill others even with out provocation for land or women.

and if you read the NT you'll see who this "Israel" and "chosen people" really are:
Romans 9
It is not as though God's word had failed. For not all who are descended from Israel are Israel.
Nor because they are his descendants are they all Abraham's children. On the contrary, "It is through Isaac
that your offspring will be reckoned." In other words, it is[u] not the natural children who are God's children[/u],
but it is the children of the promise who are regarded as Abraham's offspring

and who are these children of the promise? those who believe in Jesus and accept salvation.

As he says in Hosea:
"I will call them 'my people' who are not my people;
and I will call her 'my loved one' who is not my loved one,"[i] 26and,
"It will happen that in the very place where it was said to them,
'You are not my people,'
they will be called 'sons of the living God.'

Any body can qoute a verse in the bible to support his position, i will love to read the passage u pasted in context. if you read the bible properly before the christian founders came and high jacked the jewish religion and created a god out of the old jewish god you will know that the jewish god emains a tribal god forever. by the way the god the jews worship is not the same god that christians worship because the jews do not believe in jesus and their god has no son. Judaism is still alive you can go and ask the jews if you dont believe me, as far as they know they dont worship the same god with the christians. the christian god was formed out of the jewish god.

Book, chapter and verses please?

How dare God not choose to work out the magic the way Mazaje wants?

Rm9: One of you will say to me: "Then why does God still blame us? For who resists his will?" But who are you, O man, to talk back to God? "Shall what is formed say to him who formed it, 'Why did you make me like this?' "Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for noble purposes and some for common use?

The writers of the bible know for sure that people will some day question their very foolish assertions, and to keep people in line they came up this line.
Re: God's Chosen People. by Nobody: 10:58pm On Mar 26, 2009
mazaje:

[size=16pt]I have read the entire hebrew bible [/size] (old testament) and the writers of the hebrew bible clearly think that the god they created was enough to carry out their evil attrocities.

Reading alone is not a substitute to understanding. Anyone can read an entire biology textbook and come out with no better knowledge of how the cell works.
Re: God's Chosen People. by toneyb: 12:17am On Mar 27, 2009
davidylan:

Reading alone is not a substitute to understanding. Anyone can read an entire biology textbook and come out with no better knowledge of how the cell works.

What makes you think you understand what is in the hebrew bible better than me or any other christian or atheist out there? you have to claim that everyone around that question what is written inside doesn't understand what the bible is saying when you meet things inside that do not make sense. i was once a christian and i know all the apologetics and excuses. did the hebrew god of the old testament choose the jews as his people? did he command them to fight others and pillage their lands, did he command his chosen people to ensalve them and rape their women? so what the heck are you talking about me not understanding what is in the hebrew bible? one thing with religious books like the bible and the koran is that you have to  have the SELF DECEPTION REQUIRED in order to presume it true beforehand so when you read them and see things that don't fit or make any sense you overlook them or try to explain them even through dishonest ways.
Re: God's Chosen People. by mazaje(m): 12:25am On Mar 27, 2009
toneyb:

What makes you think you understand what is in the hebrew bible better than me or any other christian or athesit out there? you have to claim that everyone around that question what is written inside doesn't understand what the bible is saying when you meet things inside that do not make sense. i was once a christian and i know all the apologetics and excuses. did the hebrew god of the old testament choose the jews as his people? did he command them to fight others and pillage their lands, did he command his chosen people to ensalve them and rape their women? so what the heck are you talking about me not understanding what is in the hebrew bible? one thing with religious books like the bible and the koran is that you have to  have the SELF DECEPTION REQUIRED in order to presume it true beforehand so when you read them and see things that don't fit or make any sense you overlook them or try to explain them even through dishonest ways.

very very good point you have said it better than i would have said it myself.
Re: God's Chosen People. by Nobody: 1:44am On Mar 27, 2009
toneyb:

What makes you think you understand what is in the hebrew bible better than me or any other christian or atheist out there? you have to claim that everyone around that question what is written inside doesn't understand what the bible is saying when you meet things inside that do not make sense. i was once a christian and i know all the apologetics and excuses. did the hebrew god of the old testament choose the jews as his people? did he command them to fight others and pillage their lands, did he command his chosen people to ensalve them and rape their women? so what the heck are you talking about me not understanding what is in the hebrew bible? one thing with religious books like the bible and the koran is that you have to have the SELF DECEPTION REQUIRED in order to presume it true beforehand so when you read them and see things that don't fit or make any sense you overlook them or try to explain them even through dishonest ways.

I made no such claim in my post you quoted. So the rest of what you had to say made no sense to me.
Re: God's Chosen People. by tpia: 4:49am On Mar 27, 2009
Re: God's Chosen People. by Horus(m): 9:53am On Mar 27, 2009
The so-called Jews never refer to themselves as Hebrews; it's Israeli or Jewish. These words, Jewish or Israeli are not in the scriptures. These terms are used because they know that they are not the original Israelites. That's why they never say that they live in the land Israel. They use the term, the state of Israel,(State created in 1948). The word "Jew" itself was a nickname for one of the tribes of Judah (Genesis 29:31-35); and other people (Go-Ee, Gentiles), who were not Hebrews, but managed to adopt the way of life of the tribe of Judah.
Re: God's Chosen People. by toneyb: 12:42pm On Mar 27, 2009
davidylan:

I made no such claim in my post you quoted. So the rest of what you had to say made no sense to me.

Of course how will it make sense to you when you are full of deception.
Re: God's Chosen People. by mazaje(m): 2:20pm On Mar 27, 2009
davidylan:

ho will what he has written ever make sense to you when you clearly do not have any sense when it come to the bible? you throw away your sense and and use emotions when dealing with the bible. you call allah a babaric god when your god is equally babaric. i dont believe in the bible but here is what your stupid imaginary blood thirsty god did on behalf of his "chosen people". (even the satan that you guys love to hate would not have done worse than your "merciful" yahweh)

Joshua 11:20 For it was Yahweh himself who hardened their hearts to wage war against Israel, so that he might destroy them totally, exterminating them without mercy, as Yahweh had commanded Moses.

this passage is clear enough that it needs no extended explication. the verse claims that yahweh himself had hardened the hearts of the canaanite kings so that he could destroy them totally and without mercy. If the Bible is to be believed, Yahweh hardened the hearts of the canaanite kings so that he could exterminate them without mercy. what kind of god is this? and yet you guys keep bandying the same old lies thatyou worship a merciful god? do you guys know what mercy means? and you davidylan have the right to open your mouth and insult allah when you god is no different? grin grin grin delusion at its finest. go ahead and spin it and say that we do not understand what the bible is saying.
Re: God's Chosen People. by JeSoul(f): 2:33pm On Mar 27, 2009
mazaje:

are you sure of what you are saying? the hebrew god of the old testament is a very tribal and ethnic god that seems very unhappy when the normadic jews whom he refers to as his chosen people mix with other people. he highly discourages them from marrying other non hebrew tribes. he urged them to enslave and brand other people. read the book of joshua, is there anything in joshua with its wars, its murders and massacres, its swords dripping with the blood of mothers and babies, its tortures, maimings and mutilations, its fraud and fury, its hatred and revenge calculated to improve the world? all it shows is how wicked and evil the mind of the god which the jews created in their own image is. The book of joshua is as merciless as famine, as ferocious as the heart of a wild beast. It is a history a justification a sanctification of nearly every crime.

The book of judges is about the same, nothing but war and bloodshed; the horrible story of jael and sisera; of Gideon and his trumpets and pitchers; of jephtha and his daughter, whom he murdered to please jehovah. The hebrew bible(old testament ) is filled with stories about god commanding his choen people to kill others even with out provocation for land or women.

Your opinion on the matter my dear.
  I happen to think the God of the OT is a no-nonsense entity - the same God of the NT. I have said this several times and will repeat it again:

A lotta people have a hard time reconciling a loving, caring, righteous God with some of the events recorded in the OT . . . what we forget is that God is as much loving as He is fearful, as much caring as He is consuming fire, as much as God is to be worshipped, He is to be equally feared, We only get the fairy-tale description of God in most churches & in the world, they fail to teach that God disperses immense love but God also unleashes intense wrath. And we see this love and wrath all through the OT.

So maybe the problem is with our preconceived definition of who God is and His characteristics? instead of starting at ground zero and building our understanding of God from there, the problem is we've made up in our minds a 'moral, loving' box and then tried and failed to fit God into it. God is far beyond the grasp of our human intellect, which is why we need His spirit to indwell us and reveal to our spirit who God is & why certain things He permitted seem so crazy & immoral to us.

Any body can qoute a verse in the bible to support his position, i will love to read the passage u pasted in context.
 So go 'head and read up on it. Romans chp 9 and see if the conext doesn't fit perfectly.

if you read the bible properly before the christian founders came and high jacked the jewish religion and created a god out of the old jewish god you will know that the jewish god emains a tribal god forever. by the way the god the jews worship is not the same god that christians worship because the jews do not believe in jesus and their god has no son. Judaism is still alive you can go and ask the jews if you dont believe me, as far as they know they dont worship the same god with the christians. the christian god was formed out of the jewish god.
 Again your opinion Maz.

I have read the bible "properly" for years, and see no problem. The OT is bursting with prophecies that came to pass in the NT . . . what is your explanation of that if the NT is the fairy-tale you claim it is? No one is debating judaism here, of course it still exists. I thot we were talking about God and His chosen people?
Re: God's Chosen People. by mazaje(m): 2:43pm On Mar 27, 2009
Here is yahweh stealing other people's land and giving it to his chosen people( he commanded them to kill off all the inhabitants of the land in the process of stealing their lands).

Exodus 3:6 Then he [Yahweh] said, "I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob." At this, Moses hid his face, because he was afraid to look at God. 7 Yahweh said, "I have indeed seen the misery of my people in Egypt. I have heard them crying out because of their slave drivers, and I am concerned about their suffering. 8 So I have come down to rescue them from the hand of the Egyptians and to bring them up out of that land into a good and spacious land, a land flowing with milk and honey--the home of the Canaanites, Hittites, Amorites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites. 9 And now the cry of the Israelites has reached me, and I have seen the way the Egyptians are oppressing them. 10 So now, go. I am sending you to Pharaoh to bring my people the Israelites out of Egypt."

this clearly shows that yahweh is a theif and a land grabber, he ordered his chosen people to steal the land of other people just because they needed to reside in a spacious land flowing with milk and honey, since he was incapable of providing such kind of land to hischosen people he had to command them to go kill, rape and steal the other people's land and what was the other people's crime? nothing.  in some cases their crime was that they worshipped other gods despite yahweh giving them the free will to worship the other gods(thats if we are to go by what the bible says), instead of yahweh to tell is people to preach to them (unbelievers) and convert them he preffered to have them killed and their women raped.
Re: God's Chosen People. by mazaje(m): 3:27pm On Mar 27, 2009
JeSoul:

Your opinion on the matter my dear.
I happen to think the God of the OT is a no-nonsense entity - the same God of the NT. I have said this several times and will repeat it again:

Pls i will like to know what no nonsense mean here? it is very true that the hebrew god of the old testament has no sense at all if he does he wouldn't have been depicted the way he was in the old testament. what sense if there in telling men to stone to death another person for picking sticks on a sabbath? what sense is there in hardening people's heart and punishing them for hardening their hearts? i agree with you that the hebrew god of the old testament clearly has no sense.

A lotta people have a hard time reconciling a loving, caring, righteous God with some of the events recorded in the OT . . . what we forget is that[b] God is as much loving as He is fearful[/b], as much caring as He is consuming fire, as much as God is to be worshipped, He is to be equally feared, We only get the fairy-tale description of God in most churches & in the world, they fail to teach that God disperses immense love but God also unleashes intense wrath. And we see this love and wrath all through the OT.

The problem he is that there is no choherent defination of god even amonts the christians? there are so many definations and all of them seem to cancel each other out. the god that the catholics worship is very different than the god pat robinson worships but that is another different matter entirely. how can you reconcile a caring god that loves humans with the same god that kills babies because their parents worship other gods? what did the babies do wrong? what kind of wrath is that? you said that god needs to be feared? it strikes me as still incomprehensible that a god could somehow or other gain anything by torturing his creatures for the mere satisfaction of compelling them to believe in him.

So maybe the problem is with our preconceived definition of who God is and His characteristics? instead of starting at ground zero and building our understanding of God from there, the problem is we've made up in our minds a 'moral, loving' box and then tried and failed to fit God into it. God is far beyond the grasp of our human intellect, which is why we need His spirit to indwell us and reveal to our spirit who God is & why certain things He permitted seem so crazy & immoral to us.

Who defined god and his characters? the writters of the bible did, no god has ever told any body what his characters are and you judge any god based on what the people that created him wrote about him. the hebrew writters wrote everything that we know about their god and we will use the chracters they attributed to such a god to judge him. what zero ground are you talking about if i may ask? god is far beyond our human intellect is always the lame excuse, god lives out side time and space so he can not be understood. this is the same excuse apologist provide but it falls falt because Our good god is in some way or other, right, showing people a certain amount of "soul-building" evil or wicked wrath on his side, so that people may come to know Him. that seems, quite frankly, ridiculous. it makes god into some kind of a sadist, which i believe he is judging by the way he is being portrayed in the hebrew bible, who will whip his creatures just so they know how good they have it. this strikes me as very, very strange. why can people just accept that the people that wrote the old testament wrote it based on their level of morality at that time. our level of morality today has by FAR out grown theirs.

Again your opinion Maz.
I have read the bible "properly" for years, and see no problem. The OT is bursting with prophecies that came to pass in the NT . . . what is your explanation of that if the NT is the fairy-tale you claim it is? No one is debating judaism here, of course it still exists. I thot we were talking about God and His chosen people?

When you look at all the prohecies in context you will see that they were either mis interpreted our an outright fogery or lies, we will leave that for another discussion. as for the hebrew god and his chosen people it begs the question of whether the hebrew deity yahweh was in fact "god," with apparently no consideration at all to the possibility that yahweh was simply another tribal deity who was no more real than gagon, chemosh,b, ishtar, and other regional gods of that time who he loves killing or punishing people because they worship those other gods.
Re: God's Chosen People. by JeSoul(f): 6:47pm On Mar 27, 2009
mazaje:

Pls i will like to know what no nonsense mean here? it is very true that the hebrew god of the old testament has no sense at all if he does he wouldn't have been depicted the way he was in the old testament. what sense if there in telling men to stone to death another person for picking sticks on a sabbath? what sense is there in hardening people's heart and punishing them for hardening their hearts? i agree with you that the hebrew god of the old testament clearly has no sense.

My brotha you don't have to reduce to rediculing another's faith to get your point across.

I said God is a no-nonsense God and what I mean is that His laws and commands are absolute and disobedience comes with consequences.

The problem he is that there is no choherent defination of god even amonts the christians? there are so many definations and all of them seem to cancel each other out. the god that the catholics worship is very different than the god pat robinson worships but that is another different matter entirely. how can you reconcile a caring god that loves humans with the same god that kills babies because their parents worship other gods? what did the babies do wrong? what kind of wrath is that? you said that god needs to be feared? it strikes me as still incomprehensible that a god could somehow or other gain anything by torturing his creatures for the mere satisfaction of compelling them to believe in him.
   And that is your problem. You're looking towards fallible human beings to give you their definition and understanding of God and you're leaving jaded when they give you conflicting accounts. That is no ones fault but your own.

If you want to know God, first be honest with yourself and leave all that hatred and disdain you feel towards religion and God behind. Purge your mind and disabuse yourself of all the preconceived notions you've been harboring . . . and then open the bible and read it again.

Who defined god and his characters? the writters of the bible did, no god has ever told any body what his characters are and you judge any god based on what the people that created him wrote about him. the hebrew writters wrote everything that we know about their god and we will use the chracters they attributed to such a god to judge him. what zero ground are you talking about if i may ask? god is far beyond our human intellect is always the lame excuse, god lives out side time and space so he can not be understood. this is the same excuse apologist provide but it falls falt because Our good god is in some way or other, right, showing people a certain amount of "soul-building" evil or wicked wrath on his side, so that people may come to know Him. that seems, quite frankly, ridiculous. it makes god into some kind of a sadist, which i believe he is judging by the way he is being portrayed in the hebrew bible, who will whip his creatures just so they know how good they have it. this strikes me as very, very strange. why can people just accept that the people that wrote the old testament wrote it based on their level of morality at that time. our level of morality today has by FAR out grown theirs.
   That is NOT what I said. I didn't insinuate knowledge of God is unattainable, I said it is unattainable if you're only using your weak human mind to try to grasp a concept as big as God.

As for the rest of the paragraph . . . you are going in so many different directions its impossible to follow you. Are we still talking about God's chosen people? Have you read Romans 9 yet? and seen that God's chosen people are really those who choose to believe in Him both now and back then?

When you look at all the prohecies in context you will see that they were either mis interpreted our an outright fogery or lies, we will leave that for another discussion. as for the hebrew god and his chosen people it begs the question of whether the hebrew deity yahweh was in fact "god," with apparently no consideration at all to the possibility that yahweh was simply another tribal deity who was no more real than gagon, chemosh,b, ishtar, and other regional gods of that time who he loves killing or punishing people because they worship those other gods.
  Again your own personal opinion.
Even non-christian scholars agree that many OT predictions are seen coming to fruition in the NT.

offtopic: what has happened to you in the past few months, you weren't this bitter and angry about God/religion in my discussions with you in the past.
Re: God's Chosen People. by mazaje(m): 8:58pm On Mar 27, 2009
JeSoul:

My brotha you don't have to reduce to rediculing another's faith to get your point across.

I said God is a no-nonsense God and what I mean is that His laws and commands are absolute and disobedience comes with consequences.

I am not ridiculing your faith i am just saying it as it is. there are chiristians here on nairaland that point to the moslems how stupid and meaningless their beliefs are, the point is that they are not ridiculing islam or mohammed but stating it exactly as it is which is what i am doing here. did the hebrew god of the old testament hardern people's heart and kill them for it? YES he did. i don't believe what the bible says and i do not believe that any of the myths in the bible ever happened but lets assume that i do believe in it. what does that passage sound like? that is outright stupidity and incompetence, why should a deity hardern people's hearts and kill them for hardening their hearts? will mislead a stranger on the street and punish him for misleading him/her? that is the same thing the hebrew god did.

And that is your problem. You're looking towards fallible human beings to give you their definition and understanding of God and you're leaving jaded when they give you conflicting accounts. That is no ones fault but your own.

If you want to know God, first be honest with yourself and leave all that hatred and disdain you feel towards religion and God behind. Purge your mind and disabuse yourself of all the preconceived notions you've been harboring . . . and then open the bible and read it again.

I looked into the bible and all i see is a self contradictory deity that has no defination. is the bible good all knowing? why then does he need lamps to look for people who mock him in the dark? (it is there in the bible in case you dont know). is he all powerful? he cant defeat men because they rode on iron chariots. is he a merciful god? yet he kills people for just looking into an ark? or kills 70,000 men just because david conducted a census when he knows very well that the men he killed had nothing to do with davids decisions. is he a just god? yet he tells his chosen people to kill babies and rape women. this is all i see in the hebrew bible.

That is NOT what I said. I didn't insinuate knowledge of God is unattainable, I said it is unattainable if you're only using your weak human mind to try to grasp a concept as big as God.

what you are telling me is to throw all my senses away and accept things that do not make sense in any way here is what toneyb said. to believe in what the bible says is to first of all
have the SELF DECEPTION REQUIRED in order to presume it true beforehand so when you read them and see things that don't fit or make any sense you overlook them or try to explain them even through dishonest ways.

as i read the hebrew bible and see the attrocities that the tribal hebrew god commanded his people i came to the conclusion as to why would the hebrew god use a nation as questionable as the post-exodus israelites to deliver his "judgment" on the canaanites? (why not just use natural disasters, such as earthquakes, volcanic-type phenomena, or plague ?) since the bible says he is an almighty? why urge his chosen people to steal other people's lands? why not provide another land for his chosen people since he is almighty and can do all things? infact why not tell his people to preach to the unbelievers? why kill babies and tell his people to rape women?
what about all the innocent people killed in this "holy war"families, "good" canaanites, etc.? even if it is 'okay' for the hebrew god to execute judgment on nations within history, why didn't he only kill the evil-doers?
doesn't wholesale slaughter of nations seem a little incompatible with a god of love and mercy?

As for the rest of the paragraph . . . you are going in so many different directions its impossible to follow you. Are we still talking about God's chosen people? Have you read Romans 9 yet? and seen that God's chosen people are really those who choose to believe in Him both now and back then?
Again your own personal opinion.
Even non-christian scholars agree that many OT predictions are seen coming to fruition in the NT.

can you list just one so that we can look at it in context?

offtopic: what has happened to you in the past few months, you weren't this bitter and angry about God/religion in my discussions with you in the past.[/quote

is pastor robinson bitter when he tells muslims that allah is nothing but an arabian invention and a muderous lunatic? are davidylan and babyosis bitter people when they show how ridiculous and inconsistent the actions of allah as potrayed in the koran are? there are uncountable christians out there that insult, ridicule and discard allah, mohammed and sango. are they bitter people? i dont believe in the hebrew god of the old testament and when i see where is is being depicted as a lunatic in the hebrew bible i quickly point it out thats all i do here.
Re: God's Chosen People. by JeSoul(f): 9:10pm On Mar 27, 2009
Mazaje,
You always come back to "God killed all those people in OT" "He is immoral and bloodthirsty" etc . . . it is impossible to 'discuss' with you cos your emotions on the matter have gotten the best of you. Like AIO said to Huxley, your starting point is a bias. So discussing would only be an exercise in futility. I would love to throw scriptures back and forth and rip thru them but you're not really intrested in the truth, just propagating what you've already determined in your mind to be true.

When you start off saying God is stupid and senseless and incompetent, that's not ridiculing? whether or not you think these things, you don't open a conversation like that. Even when you disagree with your opponent, you still respect them. I know other christians make fun of islam and such and I'm not excusing that, but pointing to the fault of others does not excuse yours. And please I'm not trying to assume some moral high ground here cos I fall short myself but I believe in cordiality and mutual respect.

If you want to discuss solely on the topic of "God's chosen people" then lets start from the Romans 9 verses and chapter I quoted to you. If you want to continue mudslinging at a God you believe doesn't exist, then I must kindly make an exit.
Re: God's Chosen People. by mazaje(m): 9:39pm On Mar 27, 2009
JeSoul:

Mazaje,
You always come back to "God killed all those people in OT" "He is immoral and bloodthirsty" etc . . . it is impossible to 'discuss' with you cos your emotions on the matter have gotten the best of you. Like AIO said to Huxley, your starting point is a bias. So discussing would only be an exercise in futility. I would love to throw scriptures back and forth and rip thru them but you're not really intrested in the truth, just propagating what you've already determined in your mind to be true.

When you start off saying God is stupid and senseless and incompetent, that's not ridiculing? whether or not you think these things, you don't open a conversation like that. Even when you disagree with your opponent, you still respect them. I know other christians make fun of islam and such and I'm not excusing that, but pointing to the fault of others does not excuse yours. And please I'm not trying to assume some moral high ground here cos I fall short myself but I believe in cordiality and mutual respect.

If you want to discuss solely on the topic of "God's chosen people" then lets start from the Romans 9 verses and chapter I quoted to you. If you want to continue mudslinging at a God you believe doesn't exist, then I must kindly make an exit.

ok lets discuss romans 9 , but before then i will like to know what the book in romans have to do with the promise that the hebrew god made to abraham in the genesis.
Re: God's Chosen People. by JeSoul(f): 5:41pm On Mar 28, 2009
Aight cool.

Here's the chapter:

Romans 9
God’s Selection of Israel

1 With Christ as my witness, I speak with utter truthfulness. My conscience and the Holy Spirit confirm it. 2 My heart is filled with bitter sorrow and unending grief 3 for my people, my Jewish brothers and sisters. I would be willing to be forever cursed—cut off from Christ!—if that would save them. 4 They are the people of Israel, chosen to be God’s adopted children. God revealed his glory to them. He made covenants with them and gave them his law. He gave them the privilege of worshiping him and receiving his wonderful promises. 5 Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob are their ancestors, and Christ himself was an Israelite as far as his human nature is concerned. And he is God, the one who rules over everything and is worthy of eternal praise! Amen.

6 Well then, has God failed to fulfill his promise to Israel? No, for not all who are born into the nation of Israel are truly members of God’s people! 7 Being descendants of Abraham doesn’t make them truly Abraham’s children. [/b]For the Scriptures say, “Isaac is the son through whom your descendants will be counted,” though Abraham had other children, too. 8 [b]This means that Abraham’s physical descendants are not necessarily children of God. Only the children of the promise are considered to be Abraham’s children.

So my dear Mazaje, does this satisfy as being in the right context?

mazaje:

but before then i will like to know what the book in romans have to do with the promise that the hebrew god made to abraham in the genesis.
    It has everything to do with it! In Acts 3 it says clearly:
And you are heirs of the prophets and of the covenant God made with your fathers. He said to Abraham, 'Through your offspring all peoples on earth will be blessed.'

in Gal 3:14
He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles [/u]through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit. . . . If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

and most importantly . . .

Galatians 3:8
The Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: "All nations will be blessed through you."

Now do you see? that God's intention all along was to not just bless only Abraham and the Israelites, but to extend those blessings to ALL PEOPLE [u]through
them!

(1) (Reply)

Do Islamic Religion Support Killing? / The $8.5 Million Dollar Scam_exposed - The Apostles knew this would happen - / Religion For Atheists.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 165
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.