Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,329 members, 7,811,967 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:58 AM

How Can I Deal With An Ungrateful Brother ??? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Can I Deal With An Ungrateful Brother ??? (3794 Views)

Is She Wicked Or Ungrateful ? / My Mother-In-law Visits Too Often, How Do I Deal With That? Please Help / My Husband Is Killing Me Emotionaly, How Do I Deal With Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Deal With An Ungrateful Brother ??? by agarawu23(m): 9:56am On Aug 16, 2015
Good morning all.

This issue has been bordering me for a long time but I think is time to seek opinions from ppl.

Yoruba's will say " eni ti a ba so re fun ti o ba dupe, bi olosha ko ni leru lo ni" (if you do someone a favour and he/she doesn't appreciate, is like a thief stole your properties) not that good in interpretation cheesy

there is this my younger brother that doesn't appreciate anything I do for him, not that I want to eat the 'thank you' but at least he should appreciate so as to get another. He is in 400level and I begin to wonder what he has been learning in school then. My other brother's will come privately to thank me but this particular guy don't count it as anything.

I am thinking of turning down any request from him or calling him to correct him. But how will I correct him without him feeling someone ? NB: He is my step brother.

matured advice needed pls cool
Re: How Can I Deal With An Ungrateful Brother ??? by iliyande(m): 10:00am On Aug 16, 2015
cheesy play along with him again if he table a request and correct him immediately. Ungrateful brothers everywhere, especially those who believe that you collect million as a salary but failed to do something tangible for them.

8 Likes

Re: How Can I Deal With An Ungrateful Brother ??? by bigiyaro(m): 10:04am On Aug 16, 2015
study him first, maybe he's arrogant, maybe he's not or he sees sayin 'tank u' as no big deal. In anycase u have to draw his attension to it, tell him ' not sayin tank u' blocks his chances of gettin tins or favours not only from u bt also from God n oda ppl. Tell him d story of d ten lepers in d bible.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Deal With An Ungrateful Brother ??? by Cutehector(m): 10:09am On Aug 16, 2015
Brothers are in existence to help each oda.... Wether he thanks u or not, he is still ur brother.. Thr r sometimes my brother does worse things dat annoy me far frm ingratitude, buh wen i feel I'm in d position to help, I give...
Re: How Can I Deal With An Ungrateful Brother ??? by ahnie: 10:11am On Aug 16, 2015
'Ndi b'e anyi biko Ne ajuju

1 Like

Re: How Can I Deal With An Ungrateful Brother ??? by Dolypson04(m): 10:12am On Aug 16, 2015
I was not used to saying thank you before especially to my family. I just learned it some years ago. You don't need to take any actions. Even if he never thank you till eternity, just keep playing ur parts. Even God never commanded us to thank our fellow humans. All thanks should be to God alone.
Re: How Can I Deal With An Ungrateful Brother ??? by abat4real37(f): 10:17am On Aug 16, 2015
I'm not used to thank you as well, but I'm trying now. If he doesn't thank you that doesn't mean he does not appreciate you.
Re: How Can I Deal With An Ungrateful Brother ??? by agarawu23(m): 10:23am On Aug 16, 2015
ahnie:
Re: How Can I Deal With An Ungrateful Brother ??? by Nobody: 10:24am On Aug 16, 2015
ahnie:
How 'Ojuju' take enter this matter?
Re: How Can I Deal With An Ungrateful Brother ??? by Aminat508(f): 10:25am On Aug 16, 2015
Hmmmmmm

1 Like

Re: How Can I Deal With An Ungrateful Brother ??? by austine4real(m): 10:40am On Aug 16, 2015
Call and let him knw is nt ideal. Koret as ur broda
Re: How Can I Deal With An Ungrateful Brother ??? by xynerise: 10:42am On Aug 16, 2015
I will say this in both the religious and Psychological point of view. You can choose one

As Christians, we believe whatever good we do to our neighbours, we have our rewards from God whether the person appreciates it or not. If God asked us to love our enemies and pray for them, what more can you do for your arrogant brother? Keep showing love

Psychologically, you need to make him taste the sorrow of hustling. He is a man and being a student is never an excuse not to make a living. When I was in school, I discovered a way to earn a living. Quit sending him money consistently and let him know how hard it is to make money. When he didn't get the money for sometime like the usual routine, his brain will reset and he will know someone has been a guardian Angel all these while.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Deal With An Ungrateful Brother ??? by agarawu23(m): 10:53am On Aug 16, 2015
Cutehector:
Brothers are in existence to help each oda.... Wether he thanks u or not, he is still ur brother.. Thr r sometimes my brother does worse things dat annoy me far frm ingratitude, buh wen i feel I'm in d position to help, I give...

xynerise:

Psychologically, you need to make him taste the sorrow of hustling. He is a man and being a student is never an excuse not to make a living. When I was in school, I discovered a way to earn a living. Quit sending him money consistently and let him know how hard it is to make money. When he didn't get the money for sometime like the usual routine, his brain will reset and he will know someone has been a guardian Angel all these while.
Re: How Can I Deal With An Ungrateful Brother ??? by loomer: 11:01am On Aug 16, 2015
The truth is, you just have to keep helping and someday somehow he will come around.

He will say thank u.
Re: How Can I Deal With An Ungrateful Brother ??? by Haywhymido(m): 12:07pm On Aug 16, 2015
Correct him. Dat's a bad manner
Re: How Can I Deal With An Ungrateful Brother ??? by Richy4(m): 12:35pm On Aug 16, 2015
I don't really understand you sir.

How does he table his request to you?

He just show up to your door step and demand for money and you gave it to him and he turn around and walk away without a thank you? Are you kidding me?

I suggest you tell me OP how he does it because I don't think anyone can act up the scenario that I created.

Or is it that you feel he doesn't thank you enough?
Re: How Can I Deal With An Ungrateful Brother ??? by agarawu23(m): 12:57pm On Aug 16, 2015
Richy4:
I don't really understand you sir.

How does he table his request to you?

He just show up to your door step and demand for money and you gave it to him and he turn around and walk away without a thank you? Are you kidding me?

I suggest you tell me OP how he does it because I don't think anyone can act up the scenario that I created.

Or is it that you feel he doesn't thank you enough?
OK
the issue is different here since we don't live same place.

for example he calls you for money and you send him, he will message you he has received the money. that's all.

if you send him things, he won't bother to thank you.

even on appearance, I gave him some shoes and other stuffs I bought for him and his other brothers, his other brothers came to my room later to thank me but he didn't. though I don't count it as anything before but now I am taking the issue serious. the habit is now part of him
Re: How Can I Deal With An Ungrateful Brother ??? by Richy4(m): 1:25pm On Aug 16, 2015
agarawu23:
OK

for example he calls you for money and you send him, he will message you he has received the money. that's all.

even on appearance, I gave him some shoes and other stuffs I bought for him and his other brothers, his other brothers came to my room later to thank me but he didn't. though I don't count it as anything before but now I am taking the issue serious. the habit is now part of him

The problem could be that he gets it very easy from you. He has probably never been in pressing need that warrant him to appreciate things.

Give him money for his school programme if he request for it but stop buying him gift. Buy for his siblings to an extent he will hear from it. If he asked for his, tell him why you have put a stop to it.

If you are a Christian, remind him of how Jesus cured the 10 lepros and how only one came to thank him. And he asked for the rest. Which shows that appreciation is good no matter what. ..........

3 Likes

Re: How Can I Deal With An Ungrateful Brother ??? by agarawu23(m): 7:40pm On Aug 16, 2015
Richy4:

The problem could be that he gets it very easy from you. He has probably never been in pressing need that warrant him to appreciate things.

Give him money for his school programme if he request for it but stop buying him gift. Buy for his siblings to an extent he will hear from it. If he asked for his, tell him why you have put a stop to it.

If you are a Christian, remind him of how Jesus cured the 10 lepros and how only one came to thank him. And he asked for the rest. Which shows that appreciation is good no matter what. ..........
nice point bro
Re: How Can I Deal With An Ungrateful Brother ??? by dahmie2013: 9:49pm On Aug 16, 2015
Op, I think its best u do such things without ny xpecting nything in return. Just do it 4 God, if he says thank u, fine, if not ur reward is with God. I understd d need 4 gratitude, cos its encouraging, but I believe such ppl learn d hard way. If u correct him now, he might not take u serious being a broda 2 him, until an ousider does. We always have ppl like dat in our lives.
Re: How Can I Deal With An Ungrateful Brother ??? by iamkingzlee(m): 10:44pm On Aug 16, 2015
he's still your brother. step or not! let him understand that he should learn to appreciate things. Starting with you. So he wouldn't fvckup elsewhere. though distance might also be a barrier. It's imperative you tell him so he'll know cool
Re: How Can I Deal With An Ungrateful Brother ??? by Nobody: 2:47am On Aug 17, 2015
agarawu23:
Good morning all.

This issue has been bordering me for a long time but I think is time to seek opinions from ppl.

Yoruba's will say " eni ti a ba so re fun ti o ba dupe, bi olosha ko ni leru lo ni" (if you do someone a favour and he/she doesn't appreciate, is like a thief stole your properties) not that good in interpretation cheesy

there is this my younger brother that doesn't appreciate anything I do for him, not that I want to eat the 'thank you' but at least he should appreciate so as to get another. He is in 400level and I begin to wonder what he has been learning in school then. My other brother's will come privately to thank me but this particular guy don't count it as anything.

I am thinking of turning down any request from him or calling him to correct him. But how will I correct him without him feeling someone ? NB: He is my step brother.

matured advice needed pls cool

agarawu23:
OK
even on appearance, I gave him some shoes and other stuffs I bought for him and his other brothers, his other brothers came to my room later to thank me but he didn't.
though I don't count it as anything before but now I am taking the issue serious. the habit is now part of him

Wow @ bolded.

This is not a case of him not knowing any better - he does.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Deal With An Ungrateful Brother ??? by agarawu23(m): 8:01am On Aug 17, 2015
Yieldings:

Wow @ bolded.

This is not a case of him not knowing any better - he does.

exactly, that's why I am taking the issue serious
Re: How Can I Deal With An Ungrateful Brother ??? by Nobody: 8:45am On Aug 17, 2015
Exactly what my younger brother was doing. The annoying part is he won't give you peace until you give him the money.

Open up to him how you feel about his ingratitude
Re: How Can I Deal With An Ungrateful Brother ??? by mutter(f): 9:04am On Aug 17, 2015
Just do what you have to and don`t let it bother you.
Just give him the basics.
That is life, even the more you try to get out of him the more it will backfire.
A person who does not show gratitude or stops showing it along the way was never ever grateful.

Many young people are very thoughtless and egoistic. They change as they grow older.
You might be surprised at what happens in future. Even if he does not show gratitude, he can`t deny what he is getting.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Deal With An Ungrateful Brother ??? by Nobody: 9:50am On Aug 17, 2015
You are human you like to be appreciated and its ok. Next time you give him anything and he doesn't say thank you just tell him you noticed he never says thanks does he not like the stuff you gave him or is he angry with you because........... if you keep giving in anger and malice all the giving is nothing also you can't be giving and counting it if you hold all the anger in you will soon be counting what and what you've been doing, you may become filled with resentment towards him none of this is healthy for either of you so talk to him like the brother you are to him.

Will he be upset? will he feel embarrassed, angry and you know all kinds of feelings yes he may feel all of these lol but you have to talk to him if you don't talk to him then you don't have the right to be angry imo. We are made in different ways some people will give and expect nothing you are not that kind of person and it does not make you less than those who expect nothing just different so talk the talk so you know if he forgets to be thankful or is ungrateful.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Deal With An Ungrateful Brother ??? by Nobody: 2:45pm On Aug 17, 2015
andromida:
some people will give and expect nothing you are not that kind of person and it does not make you less than those who expect nothing just different

Maybe if they give once or twice. No one will continuously give their own hard-earned money to someone, buys them gifts and not wonder why the receiver never thanks them. It's not too much for op to question this or even expect a simple "thank you". God himself loves it when we thank Him! Will he keep blessing someone who cannot open his/her mouth to thank Him? Of course not.
Re: How Can I Deal With An Ungrateful Brother ??? by Nobody: 1:04pm On Aug 18, 2015
Yieldings:

Maybe if they give once or twice. No one will continuously give their own hard-earned money to someone, buys them gifts and not wonder why the receiver never thanks them. It's not too much for op to question this or even expect a simple "thank you". God himself loves it when we thank Him! Will he keep blessing someone who cannot open his/her mouth to thank Him? Of course not.

Yes not too much to expect a simple thank you.

(1) (Reply)

Best Way To Treat Mosquito And Be Free From Malaria / My Fiancee Gave Birth Before Our Wedding / Sister Needs Baby's Social Security Number

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.