Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,464 members, 7,954,819 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:07 AM

Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? (18458 Views)

Why Did You Become A Teacher / When Is The Right Time To Leave Your Job? / What Are The Five Reasons That Will Make You Leave/quit Your Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Nnaeb(m): 1:31pm On Aug 16, 2015
The intriguing thing about a job interview is that even questions that have a perfectly reasonable answer can throw you off balance. When a recruiter or a hiring manager asks you “Why are you job-hunting?” you may feel your throat tighten, just for an instant.

Just take a look at these examples of job-seekers who decided to share the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth:

Why are you job-hunting?

Here’s Ronke’s answer:

The investors are getting ready to pull out of that company and I have overheard so many shouting arguments between the CEO and the principal investors to still hang around.

Here’s what Mariam has to say:

My boss was a creeper who started sexually harassing me and then retaliated when I didn’t respond to his advances the way he wanted me to.

He trashed my reputation at that company by falsely accusing me of stealing someone else’s work. I was devastated but the Director of HR in that company is useless and told me to my face that she wouldn’t go against my boss. I had no choice but to look for another job.

Finally, here is Emma’s response:

I was overlooked for two promotions and I know why. One of the women who got promoted told me that there’s no way I would advance in that company because I had already let them know that I plan to go to an Acting School in a few years. “That sounds like disloyalty to them,” she told me.

The other woman who got promoted told me that the HR made her swear she wouldn’t have kids in the next five years. That’s sick, not to mention illegal! I didn’t want to job-hunt but here I am.

honest and realistic, isn't it? But, we are trained not to say anything bad, even if it’s true, about our past employment because recruiters and hiring managers can freak out very easily. It's even worse to say you were fired.

They can be skittish, and start to think that anyone who has anything negative to say about a past job must be a problem employee. That is not true, but you can’t help it. The mindset persists in large and small organizations everywhere.

Basically, by making it socially unacceptable for you to tell the truth about the reason you’re leaving your current job or the reason you left your last job, they’re forcing you to tell a white lie.

That’s okay! Here are two perfect lies to the question “Why are you looking for a new job?” that will make sense to prospective employers without forcing you to spill your guts on the interview table.

Why did you live your last job?

I had a great time at ABC LIMITED and I learned a lot, but then the learning slowed down and eventually stopped. It was obviously time to move on in order to keep learning and growing!

XYZ GROUP is a terrific company and I have great friends there, but they’re going in a direction that won’t make the most of my passion for [eCommerce, e.g.] and I owe it to myself and my new employer to work in the area where I can bring my best!
I believe the two answers will do for now. Good luck

source : http://jobtrends.com.ng/why-did-you-leave-your-last-job-lying-is-allowed/

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by ladyF(f): 1:35pm On Aug 16, 2015
Hmmmm interesting responses

It's [size=20pt]LadyF [/size] again grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Ojestas(m): 3:36pm On Aug 16, 2015
undecided I left my last job cos it was a contract job with FGN (NYSC). . tongue

That kind feeling, when you r in between two ladies. . . The previous poster and the next. . grin

BTW, Has Introvert Changed her moniker to LadyF or she's one of her trainees or what??

Happy Sunday, Nairalanders!!

11 Likes

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Shortyy(f): 3:36pm On Aug 16, 2015
Wetin concern me undecided
Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by missKiffy(f): 3:36pm On Aug 16, 2015
I don't have a job yet
Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by hamaworld(m): 3:36pm On Aug 16, 2015
Because.. .. ... .

Wait first.. .... .. ..

Make I think,.. .... .

Walahi sowie.

I forget wetyn I wan talk. grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by SaiBuharii: 3:37pm On Aug 16, 2015
Was paid about 500k, was too small compared to my work rate. Went for a better pay.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by condralbede(m): 3:37pm On Aug 16, 2015
Nver
Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by phayvoursky(m): 3:37pm On Aug 16, 2015
MY BOSS (A MARRIED WOMAN) WAS MAKING PASSES AT ME.

I HAD TO TAKE THE EMERGENCY EXIT ROUTE. NOT CONSIDERING IF THERE WAS A MUSTER POINT.

2 Likes

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Nobody: 3:38pm On Aug 16, 2015
No reason
Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Nobody: 3:38pm On Aug 16, 2015
.nothing
Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by deniyor: 3:38pm On Aug 16, 2015
Found a better career prospect. For less pay though.
Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by helphelp: 3:39pm On Aug 16, 2015
Left it to become an entrepreneur that I am today

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by WIZGUY69(m): 3:40pm On Aug 16, 2015
because the pay was fucking high cool
Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by flyca: 3:41pm On Aug 16, 2015
Went for Masters
Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Nobody: 3:42pm On Aug 16, 2015
This is interesting.
Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Icon4s(m): 3:42pm On Aug 16, 2015
1. The pay was short of my expectations in life
2. It was a job i loved doing bt it became boring bc of its monotonous nature.
3. It was a one man business & d owner qas nearing 70yrs of age. It was widely nlieved dat if he dropped dead the company dies.
4. It was an Oil servicing firm and such companies are like slave drivers
5. I saw better career prospect in d new company.
6. The pay and allowances of the New company was like over 5 times more.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by donholy28(m): 3:43pm On Aug 16, 2015
Still waiting for buhari to provide jobs

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by nenergy(m): 3:43pm On Aug 16, 2015
I didn't leave o! I ran!!!!!
They wan finish my life-gigabyte, but God win! smiley

7 Likes

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by dedons: 3:44pm On Aug 16, 2015
Make una give me job first,then I go know how I go take leave am.

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by NnamdiN: 3:45pm On Aug 16, 2015
"If you get a better job and pay, would you leave"

How do you answer this one?
Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Nobody: 3:46pm On Aug 16, 2015
Seun please reply my mail
Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by distinguished1(m): 3:48pm On Aug 16, 2015
Ask Google. Because enough is enough.
Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by missKiffy(f): 3:50pm On Aug 16, 2015
K
Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by UnknownT: 3:51pm On Aug 16, 2015
My Oga then na one badt guy. 2 weeks to pay day he would be remembering me after giving me the money to pay laborers and other workers.

My Oga: Unknown, how many weeks to your pay day?
Me: 2 weeks sir
My Oga: ok

Fast forward two weeks, he wouldn't talk about it again. When he finally pays (always within 2-3 weeks after the 'pay day' week) , I would have borrowed enough for transport and feeding.
I just stopped coming to his site and till now he hasn't called me, I left my May salary with him.

3 Likes

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Laitesmart(m): 3:52pm On Aug 16, 2015
Better answer...

I left by mutual consent between myself and my boss when he discovered that I was too good to keep receiving how much he was paying me. He gave me his blessings though.

3 Likes

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by BTT(m): 3:55pm On Aug 16, 2015
Moral of the Storyh

Don't change your job.

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by fako1(m): 3:58pm On Aug 16, 2015
The OP is right. A job isnt abt answering everything right. You might answer it awkardly in a sincere manner bt if dey will pick u. Its YOU!!! Coz if not, all the ones most of u(s) have answered right still havent gotten d job. Most of us dont even know der are sum questions recruiters ask dat u shud let him/her know d question is beyond der limit or answer dem wit sumtin lyk "dats my private, lets not talk about it".
But cuz we are desperate. We tend to forget our right all in d name of job-hunting.

Sum will even be asking wch church you attends............sum sef na "wch state/tribe u from". Like sey na job measurement. Mtseeeew!!!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by oghalebros(m): 3:59pm On Aug 16, 2015
The woman i work with always think of how her business will move forward without taking into consideration on how to increase our salary. She will want us to work day in and day out.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Economic Hardship: Workers Swoop On Their Pension Contributions / Nutritionist/dietitians / Civil Servant Fights For Job After Exposing Racketeering In Works Ministry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.