Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,294 members, 7,836,283 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:39 AM

HELP!!! 1997 Mitsubishi Space Wagon, Overheat Leading To Oil Leak - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / HELP!!! 1997 Mitsubishi Space Wagon, Overheat Leading To Oil Leak (1852 Views)

Why Does A Car Overheat? / BMW Is Already Recalling New M760li Over Oil Leak – Quite Fast! / 5 Things That Can Cause Your Car To Overheat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

HELP!!! 1997 Mitsubishi Space Wagon, Overheat Leading To Oil Leak by swaggerkid(m): 7:48pm On Aug 16, 2015
Please help , I drove a 1997 Mitsubishi space wagon, manual transmission, today , I noticed the temperature guage going , over 75% , car tried to go off but moved it for like 30secs to the nearest filling station and popped the hood
I noticed oil leaks from middle part of engine dropping over the transmission to the ground ,
Little drops , smoke was coming from the hood because of d oil drop on the hot parts of the engine

Car had water in radiator , but I don't know if fan was running ,
Please what can cause this , is the engine damaged or just a blown gasket or what
Re: HELP!!! 1997 Mitsubishi Space Wagon, Overheat Leading To Oil Leak by mayor2013: 8:31pm On Aug 16, 2015
swaggerkid:
Please help , I drove a 1997 Mitsubishi space wagon, manual transmission, today , I noticed the temperature guage going , over 75% , car tried to go off but moved it for like 30secs to the nearest filling station and popped the hood
I noticed oil leaks from middle part of engine dropping over the transmission to the ground ,
Little drops , smoke was coming from the hood because of d oil drop on the hot parts of the engine

Please what can cause this , is the engine damaged or just a blown gasket or what

Am afraid you have a blown head gasket now. Was your fan running when you driving? how lonh did you drive for before this happened?
Re: HELP!!! 1997 Mitsubishi Space Wagon, Overheat Leading To Oil Leak by swaggerkid(m): 8:34pm On Aug 16, 2015
mayor2013:

Am afraid you have a blown head gasket now. Was your fan running when you driving? how lonh did you drive for before this happened?
Blown head gasket, how much does It cost to fix ..
Car was driven for 15Mins from Rest
Re: HELP!!! 1997 Mitsubishi Space Wagon, Overheat Leading To Oil Leak by mayor2013: 8:36pm On Aug 16, 2015
swaggerkid:

Blown head gasket, how much does It cost to fix ..
Car was driven for 15Mins from Rest

Did water get to mix with your engine oil?
Re: HELP!!! 1997 Mitsubishi Space Wagon, Overheat Leading To Oil Leak by swaggerkid(m): 8:37pm On Aug 16, 2015
mayor2013:

Did water get to mix with your engine oil?
I checked dip stick , it was normal oil
Re: HELP!!! 1997 Mitsubishi Space Wagon, Overheat Leading To Oil Leak by mayor2013: 8:57pm On Aug 16, 2015
swaggerkid:

I checked dip stick , it was normal oil

First check your cooling system if its fine ranging from your fans, radiator I still wouldn't rule out a blown head gasket
Re: HELP!!! 1997 Mitsubishi Space Wagon, Overheat Leading To Oil Leak by swaggerkid(m): 9:06pm On Aug 16, 2015
mayor2013:

First check your cooling system if its fine ranging from your fans, radiator I still wouldn't rule out a blown head gasket
I'll check emm in the morning ...
Thanks a lot for ur help
I appreciate
Re: HELP!!! 1997 Mitsubishi Space Wagon, Overheat Leading To Oil Leak by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:12pm On Aug 16, 2015
swaggerkid:

75 is not overheating, i assume your car has no thermostat hence your temp is always reading low
Re: HELP!!! 1997 Mitsubishi Space Wagon, Overheat Leading To Oil Leak by swaggerkid(m): 9:47pm On Aug 16, 2015
ZIMDRILL:

75 is not overheating, i assume your car has no thermostat hence your temp is always reading low
Am not talking about the temp
I used the 75% as a measure , 75% of 100%
Re: HELP!!! 1997 Mitsubishi Space Wagon, Overheat Leading To Oil Leak by swaggerkid(m): 10:25am On Aug 17, 2015
I checked the car this morning ,
I checked the radiator , it was empty ,I added over 2.5liters of water before it got filled , I tried starting the car , it came up and idled for 10secs and it stalled , its not even starting again , I noticed the water in the radiator trying to gush out during the 10secs idle,

There is no sign of water in the oil and no sign of oil in the Radiator
What could be wrong here

Please help me , Oga Gazzuzz, Siena ikenna351 piyke mayor2013 e.t.c
Re: HELP!!! 1997 Mitsubishi Space Wagon, Overheat Leading To Oil Leak by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:03pm On Aug 17, 2015
swaggerkid:
I checked the radiator , it was empty ,I added over 2.5liters of water before it got filled , I tried starting the car , it came up and idled for 10secs and it stalled , its not even starting again , I noticed the water in the radiator trying to gush out during the 10secs idle,

What could be wrong here

Stop trying to start the car (possible hydrolock could occur) remove all sparkplugs, check for contamination with coolant. If you find any coolant (or water)replace headgasket.

If you have excessive water coming out the exhaust pipe, replace head gasket.
Re: HELP!!! 1997 Mitsubishi Space Wagon, Overheat Leading To Oil Leak by Piyke: 5:37pm On Aug 17, 2015
Sounds like an overheat situation
swaggerkid:
What could be wrong here

Can you throw more light on this? Do you mean the radiator cap was open and water was gushing out through there? Have you looked for external leaks from the cooling system?
As you carry out what Gazzuzz has said, note that water in the crankcase may present as a milky substance akin to curdled milk. Just in case you see this it means the gasket is kaput. I reckon your car has an OBDII port since its 1997. You can scan, just to see if your coolant temp sensor is okay.
Lastly, when all this is over, do switch to coolant. The beginning of this post tells you why http://www.diyautoworksng.com/diy-procedures/coolant-drain-flush-replacement-on-2003-2007-accord/
Re: HELP!!! 1997 Mitsubishi Space Wagon, Overheat Leading To Oil Leak by chaikie(m): 10:49pm On Aug 17, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Stop trying to start the car (possible hydrolock could occur) remove all sparkplugs, check for contamination with coolant. If you find any coolant (or water)replace headgasket.

If you have excessive water coming out the exhaust pipe, replace head gasket.
Epic!

Re: HELP!!! 1997 Mitsubishi Space Wagon, Overheat Leading To Oil Leak by swaggerkid(m): 8:00pm On Sep 09, 2015
angry

(1) (Reply)

VIO Not Permitted To Check Drivers Licence, Vehicle Particulars—frsc / Bose's Amazing 'jumping' Car Suspension System Still Blows Minds. / Can Mobil1 Annual Protection Motor Oil Truly Give 20,000Miles/1Yr Of Protection?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.