Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,286 members, 7,954,140 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 12:57 PM

Gunmen Kill Catholic Priest In Imo - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Gunmen Kill Catholic Priest In Imo (1050 Views)

Fulani Herdsmen Kill Catholic Church Catechist, 2 Others In Benue / Assassins Disguised As Parishioners Shoot Priest In Lagos / Herdsmen Kidnap Catholic Priest In Enugu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gunmen Kill Catholic Priest In Imo by Meister(m): 5:14pm On Aug 17, 2015
Gunmen, suspected to be cultists, on Saturday morning killed a Catholic priest and lecturer in the Imo State Polytechnic, Umuagwo, Rev. Fr. Desmond Osuagwu in Owerri, the Imo State capital.
The priest, who is a member of the congregation of the Claretian Missionaries, Eastern Province, Nigeria, was said to be heading for the St. Mark’s Catholic Chaplaincy, Obinze Barracks, where he served as a Chaplain to conduct the day’s Eucharistic mass for the men of the Nigerian Armed Forces.
It was gathered that the assailants waylaid him on the road at a pathway before Avu junction, along the Port Harcourt Road, Owerri, dragged him out of his SUV before he was killed by stabbing him in his neck and his stomach.
A reliable source told our correspondent that the suspected cultists dragged him into a nearby bush, tied him on a tree and killed him.
According to the source, the assailants did not take any money from the priest’s car.
Osuagwu, who hails from Obowo Local Government Area of the state, was until his untimely death, the Director of Students Industrial Works Experience Scheme at the Imo State Polytechnic, Umuagwo.
The cleric, who celebrated his 25 years anniversary as a priest last year, was reported to be among the top contenders for the position of Superior-General of the Claretian priests, slated to hold sometime in 2016.
The Imo State Police Public Relations Officer, Andrew Enwerem, confirmed the incident.
He said, “We heard the information that morning and immediately moved our men to the scene of the incident. The state police command is intensifying all efforts to see that the perpetrators of the dastard action are brought to book. We must surely get them.”
Re: Gunmen Kill Catholic Priest In Imo by ladyF(f): 5:16pm On Aug 17, 2015
Dem no dey fear God
Re: Gunmen Kill Catholic Priest In Imo by buygala(m): 5:17pm On Aug 17, 2015
RIP to the cleric sad

Only God sabi why dem kill am .... So I have nothing else to say on this matter sad
Re: Gunmen Kill Catholic Priest In Imo by Nobody: 5:18pm On Aug 17, 2015
criminal activities tripled since Buhari became president. i don't know what is happening in nigeria.

RIP to the dead.
Re: Gunmen Kill Catholic Priest In Imo by buygala(m): 5:19pm On Aug 17, 2015
DDeliverer:
criminal activities tripled since Buhari became president. i don't know what is happening in nigeria.

RIP to the dead.

The maggots in your brain have tripled since Buhari became President undecided

RIP in advance, Sir sad

1 Like

Re: Gunmen Kill Catholic Priest In Imo by kongaJUMIA: 5:20pm On Aug 17, 2015
hian
Re: Gunmen Kill Catholic Priest In Imo by Nobody: 5:22pm On Aug 17, 2015
buygala:

The maggots in your brain have tripled since Buhari became President undecided

RIP in advance, Sir sad

who is this one?

Am i the cause of your problems?

1 Like

Re: Gunmen Kill Catholic Priest In Imo by MizMyColi(f): 5:28pm On Aug 17, 2015
I can confirm this news.
Smh.

I was at everyday supermarket in Owerri when a guy who is apparently close to the man showed us a picture of the slain victim, his shirt all stained, his body - lifeless *sigh*

The killing, from what I gathered, is edu-politically motivated.

The attendant mentioned two other schools in Imo State where either the lecturer or his relations suffered similar fate, either due to a promotion or as a result of their position in the department/faculty.

Tbb, I'm not impressed with Imo Youths, I'm not.

I believe that they can be better than this.

1 Like

Re: Gunmen Kill Catholic Priest In Imo by missKiffy(f): 5:35pm On Aug 17, 2015
Re: Gunmen Kill Catholic Priest In Imo by MizMyColi(f): 5:35pm On Aug 17, 2015
buygala:
Source?

or I don't give a damn undecided

It's true.
I was too petrified to take the pictures.

1 Like

Re: Gunmen Kill Catholic Priest In Imo by buygala(m): 5:39pm On Aug 17, 2015
MizMyColi:

It's true. I was too petrified to take the pictures.
awryt dear smiley

*1st comment modified because of u cool

1 Like

Re: Gunmen Kill Catholic Priest In Imo by sandrahnaub(f): 5:41pm On Aug 17, 2015
Omg.!!! Rip fr desmond... just like father adegbite of lagos RIP

Peep at. My signature
Re: Gunmen Kill Catholic Priest In Imo by Meister(m): 5:45pm On Aug 17, 2015
missKiffy:

I spot you ma
Re: Gunmen Kill Catholic Priest In Imo by missKiffy(f): 5:47pm On Aug 17, 2015
Meister:

I spot you ma
Yes o cool
Re: Gunmen Kill Catholic Priest In Imo by megawax8: 6:05pm On Aug 17, 2015
Wow.....Imo state is turning into something else.

Visited my alma mater FUTO days back and was amazed at how much the robberies witnessed in off campus lodges had quadrupled.....

Something has to be done

Who do we blame? The youths or the government?
Re: Gunmen Kill Catholic Priest In Imo by Meister(m): 6:08pm On Aug 17, 2015
megawax8:
Wow.....Imo state is turning into something else.

Visited my alma mater FUTO days back and was amazed at how much the robberies witnessed in off campus lodges had quadrupled.....

Something has to be done

Who do we blame? The youths or the government?

The blame is on both the youths and the government
Re: Gunmen Kill Catholic Priest In Imo by Meister(m): 6:10pm On Aug 17, 2015
buygala:

awryt dear smiley

*1st comment modified because of u cool

Woman lapaaa
Re: Gunmen Kill Catholic Priest In Imo by buygala(m): 6:13pm On Aug 17, 2015
Meister:

Woman lapaaa
Is that your mummy's name?
Re: Gunmen Kill Catholic Priest In Imo by megawax8: 6:55pm On Aug 17, 2015
Meister:

The blame is on both the youths and the government

Hmmmmm
Re: Gunmen Kill Catholic Priest In Imo by MartineeVIP(f): 8:04pm On Aug 18, 2015
So disheartening to lose a priest in this manner, may God expose those behind this evil deed Rip Padre

(1) (Reply)

Sugabellyrapestory: Mustapha Audu's Wife Speaks! / Man Cuts Off Wifes Clitt And Breast As Punishment For Sleeping With Son / Be Aware Of Dis New Scam Trick...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.