Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,786 members, 7,810,049 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:22 PM

8 Question To Ask Before Buying That Used Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 8 Question To Ask Before Buying That Used Car (923 Views)

How To Inspect A Used Car Before Buying / Before You Buy That Used Car, Look Before You Leap. / How To Inspect A Used Car Before Buying (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

8 Question To Ask Before Buying That Used Car by femischmadd: 10:11am On Aug 19, 2015
Re: 8 Question To Ask Before Buying That Used Car by ukata16(m): 10:15am On Aug 19, 2015
What is the mileage of the vehicle?
This information can either be asked either via phone conversation with the seller or checked from the dashboard when the ignition is on. This information will help you to know the distance the vehicle has traveled from the manufacturing date. Also it will help to interpret the distance covered in relation with the engine, transmission and body of the vehicle.

Why are you selling the vehicle? 
This information is very vital and as a buyer you have to pay attention to the sellers response as it will help you to know some information about the vehicle. 
Most sellers response will be "I just bought another vehicle", "It's for my parent", "I have an official car", "I need money urgently to sort out....".e.t.c. But I'm sure none of the seller will open up to you whether the transmission is not selecting properly, the vehicle consumes much fuel or oil as their reason for disposing it. Be ready to ask the seller in case that information was not revealed.

What is the condition of the vehicle?
The medium at which you asked this question will determine the sellers response.
If this question is asked via phone conversation, I'm sure the seller will respond by saying "Excellent" and upon inspection if you noticed the condition is far from what the seller told you earlier, it shows that he/she  is not a honest person; walk away because he/she may be trying to get it over you.
If the sellers response is "Good" and upon inspection you discover the condition still fall within what you can categorize as good, you can go for it, but still have to be careful so that you're paying for the value.
If the sellers response is "Fair" and upon inspection the condition is much better than what he/she termed, it shows that the seller is honest and a person who is willing to bargain with you. 

Are you the FIRST/ORIGINAL owner of the Vehicle?
Depending on the condition of the vehicle, I mean the physical appearance of the vehicle always determines sellers response to this question. But as a buyer, this information is very crucial to you, you need to have a knowledge of the used vehicle users even if don't reside within your locality. This will help you to know how many users the vehicle has been transferred before buying it, it will help you decipher if the vehicle is a stolen or problematic one probably that's why the users are reselling it. If the sellers did not reveal this to you, the vehicles documents (i.e. ownership's certificates and original receipt of the vehicle) should reveal it to you.

How often d
Re: 8 Question To Ask Before Buying That Used Car by ukata16(m): 10:16am On Aug 19, 2015
How often do they service the vehicle?
This is another vital information you need to get from the seller as it will help you to know how well maintain the vehicle is and also to determine the maintenance culture to be adopted after buying it.
If the seller respond immediately, it shows that the seller do it by himself and vehicle is well maintained.
If the seller paused and think of what to tell you, this indicates that its probably been well maintained.
However, if the seller response is "I don't know" or gives incorrect answer, make sure your mechanic checks the engine out closely.

How long can I test drive the vehicle?
At this stage, no reputable seller will deny you a test drive but may limit it to a certain kilometer as he/she believes you're close to buying the vehicle. However, some buyer will be reluctant to do so, make sure you don't buy it if you did not test drive it.

When was the last time the 'Particular or Document renewed?
If you don't want spend any extra money renewing or applying for another vehicle papers, ensure the vehicle papers up to date. Even if they are expired, make sure the papers so as to help you renew it yourself. That is;
Proof of ownership
Vehicle Licence
Allocation of Vehicle Plate Number
Road Worthiness Permit
CMR Police Report
Insurance Certificate (At least a third party insurance)
Custom Clearing Papers (This you don't leave inside the vehicle for security purpose)

What is the last price you're willing to sell the vehicle?
Asking this question will lets the seller know you’re not going to pay the asking price. 
Depending on how long the seller has been trying to sell the vehicle, he or she might come back with a pretty good discount. Always make sure the vehicle is not over priced and you're not been forced.
Ensure you have a good bargain and pay for the value of the vehicle
Re: 8 Question To Ask Before Buying That Used Car by stephcruse(m): 3:48pm On Aug 20, 2015
Additional information, try to scan the vehicle before buying the vehicle,or call for inspection 08038042709

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Solara 2001 Engine Price / Muscle Dashboard Repairer On Lagos Mainland / At Last I Scanned My Car, I Got These Codes And I Need Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.