Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,724 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:58 PM

Why Did My Solar And Or Inverter Installation Fail? - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Why Did My Solar And Or Inverter Installation Fail? (1020 Views)

Can I Connect My Solar Panel To A Hybrid Inverter And Then To My AC Loads? / Photos Of My Solar Inverter System / Choosing Best Deep Cycle Batteries For Your Solar And Inverter System (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did My Solar And Or Inverter Installation Fail? by chris81964(m): 6:30pm On Aug 19, 2015
This is something we hear a lot.

I installed an Inverter or solar and it worked well the first few months and now it barely last 2 hour.

It can't power my AC or my fridge anymore.

I was told I needed new batteries. I installed it less than 1 year ago.

The inverter is running too hot.

The cables are hot.

The Inverter trips.

Has this happened to you or anyone you know?

It has happened to a lot of the customers that we conquered. They had installations that stopped working and they went back to using a generator.

What could have gone wrong? MANY THINGS.

Batteries are energy storage devices. They also have a cycle life. You can only charge and discharge them so many times. If you repeatedly fully discharge the batteries you reduce the life of that battery by more than 50%. Batteries need a proper charge every day. A proper charge is not determined by hours but by a cycle that your charger must perform. Under charging your batteries is as bad as overcharging them. If your batteries are constantly deeply discharged, you either did not purchase enough capacity for your loads or you have a charger that can't do the job.

In a later post I will talk about proper charging of your batteries and how long they should charge for.

The Inverter is hot.
This is not unusual if the inverter is running at full capacity or if it is charging your batteries. They have built in cooling fans. There should be warning labels warning you of this. It is important to install them in an area with more than adequate air flow. There should be a minimum of 30 MM of space between your inverter and the object next to it. Keep them away from heat sources or direct sunlight. If the inverter is burning hot and you can see heat escaping from it. Turn the unit off and call a service person.

The cables are hot.
This is unusual. A hot cable indicates energy loss and is a potential fire hazard. Check the cable size relative to your load or the inverter size. The owners manual usually tells you the minimum cable size for each situation. Check the connections are they tight enough. Check the crimps on the lugs are they properly done? These three items are the source of hot cables in 9 out of 10 situations that we have encountered.

The Inverter Trips.
Refer to hot cable. An overload or a short will force the inverter to trip. Most people will tell you that they have minimal loads and the inverter will trip. If the inverter is not defective, I usually go to the DB turn all the breakers off and then turn them back on 1 at a time till I find the culprit.

What experiences have you had with solar positive or negative. Please share with everyone. (No ads please just the facts)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Did My Solar And Or Inverter Installation Fail? by chris81964(m): 12:56am On Aug 20, 2015
If you wiring looks like this it can fail. Another reason your cable can get hurt when you run some high amperage devices.

Re: Why Did My Solar And Or Inverter Installation Fail? by chris81964(m): 10:44am On Aug 20, 2015
izuagbe:
Make money by selling your dead inverter batteries, dead solar power batteries, dead telecom mast batteries,

What happened to the no ads request?

1 Like

Re: Why Did My Solar And Or Inverter Installation Fail? by chris81964(m): 6:16pm On Aug 20, 2015
A company that does solar boreholes are they the same as someone that does solar powered houses?
Re: Why Did My Solar And Or Inverter Installation Fail? by chris81964(m): 6:33pm On Aug 27, 2016

(1) (Reply)

Joyetech Cuboid 150W TC Box Mod Review / Germany Produced So Much Renewable Energy That It Had To Pay People To Use It / How To Transfer Calendar From Samsung S4 To S7 Edge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.