Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,791 members, 7,820,779 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:27 PM

Birthday Gift: Car gurus/Luxury car enthusiasts, GET IN HERE PLEASE! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Birthday Gift: Car gurus/Luxury car enthusiasts, GET IN HERE PLEASE! (2819 Views)

Mercedes Benz E-class Wins Best Luxury Car On Earth / 2015 Polaris Slingshot SL LE : A Review Of Dino Melaye's Luxury Car / Mercedes Overtakes BMW As Biggest Luxury Car Brand. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Birthday Gift: Car gurus/Luxury car enthusiasts, GET IN HERE PLEASE! by HerPapaPikin88(f): 11:29am On Aug 20, 2015
Hi guys.
I just joined the awesome NL even though I've been an avid lurker for years. I'm in desperate need of some advice.
My dad turns 52 soon and I want to get him an epic automobile as a birthday present. To say he is a huge fan of Lexus is an understatement. He drives a 2000 Lexus LX470 and has vehemently refused to change it ever since. He is not necessarily a miser but he is rather set in the ideology 'If it ain't broke, why fix it?'.
His 50th came at a bad time so we didn't celebrate; neither did we celebrate the 51st so I want this one to be memorable.
Anyway, back to the topic.
I have two (Lexus's? Lexuses? Lexi?) and a Mercedes in mind and I can't decide which to settle on. I've tried to read reviews but they're inconclusive.
I'm thinking either the 2015 Lexus NX200t which is more like a CUV (full pics here: http://www.BLOCKED/show/1057/lexus-nx-200t-2015), a 2015 Lexus GX460 (black or grey full pics here: http://www.BLOCKED/show/979/lexus-gx-460-2014), or...[color=#000099][/color]

Re: Birthday Gift: Car gurus/Luxury car enthusiasts, GET IN HERE PLEASE! by HerPapaPikin88(f): 11:47am On Aug 20, 2015
...or do I completely wean him off Lexus by getting him this Mercedes GLK250 (2015)?
Please help me make an informed decision. As someone who doesn't know too much about cars, all I can judge with are my eyes and I know looks aren't everything.

PS: Don't worry, I'm not buying shit from Inspired; I'm just using them for their detailed pics that are all on one page.)

Re: Birthday Gift: Car gurus/Luxury car enthusiasts, GET IN HERE PLEASE! by mayor2013: 11:57am On Aug 20, 2015
Both rides stand perfectly well for what you wish to use it for. But considering the Almighty German with its extravaganza in maintenance. I would settle for the lexus. Not that the GLK aint a good ride. But sourcing for parts might just be hard. Not to forget it uses a bosch parts which are highly expensive. Both rides are good though cry
Re: Birthday Gift: Car gurus/Luxury car enthusiasts, GET IN HERE PLEASE! by lonelydora: 12:09pm On Aug 20, 2015
If it's not Mercedes it can't be like Mercedes.

Lol @
HerPapaPikin88:

(Lexus's? Lexuses? Lexi?)
Re: Birthday Gift: Car gurus/Luxury car enthusiasts, GET IN HERE PLEASE! by HerPapaPikin88(f): 12:11pm On Aug 20, 2015
lonelydora:
If it's not Mercedes it can't be like Mercedes.

Lol @

Hehe!
Re: Birthday Gift: Car gurus/Luxury car enthusiasts, GET IN HERE PLEASE! by HerPapaPikin88(f): 12:13pm On Aug 20, 2015
mayor2013:
Both rides stand perfectly well for what you wish to use it for. But considering the Almighty German with its extravaganza in maintenance. I would settle for the lexus. Not that the GLK aint a good ride. But sourcing for parts might just be hard. Not to forget it uses a bosch parts which are highly expensive. Both rides are good though cry

Are they just expensive or also difficult to find? I'd rather not buy something that'll become a headache.
If Lexus, though, which of the two?
Re: Birthday Gift: Car gurus/Luxury car enthusiasts, GET IN HERE PLEASE! by mayor2013: 12:36pm On Aug 20, 2015
HerPapaPikin88:

Are they just expensive or also difficult to find? I'd rather not buy something that'll become a headache.
If Lexus, though, which of the two?

Lexus GX460
Re: Birthday Gift: Car gurus/Luxury car enthusiasts, GET IN HERE PLEASE! by nurey(m): 1:18pm On Aug 20, 2015
Since your oldman or young man deserves the best, there is no need for him to drive, get him a 2015 VW PHAETON and let him roll around town in style all those cars you are thinking about are too cheap and common.

Before you guys crucify me, remember am entitled to my opinion. lol.
Lexus GX460 intimidator

merc Glk250 Annihilator

1 Like

Re: Birthday Gift: Car gurus/Luxury car enthusiasts, GET IN HERE PLEASE! by HerPapaPikin88(f): 1:49pm On Aug 20, 2015
nurey:
Since your oldman or young man deserves the best, there is no need for him to drive, get him a 2015 VW PHAETON and let him roll around town in style all those cars you are thinking about are too cheap and common.

Before you guys crucify me, remember am entitled to my opinion. lol.
Lexus GX460 intimidator

merc Glk250 Annihilator

Lol.
1. Above budget
2. Looks too basic. Leaning toward an SUV or CUV. The interior is sick, though!
3. He's not very fond of VW.
Re: Birthday Gift: Car gurus/Luxury car enthusiasts, GET IN HERE PLEASE! by sultaan(m): 1:51pm On Aug 20, 2015
GX460 is closer to his old love

2 Likes

Re: Birthday Gift: Car gurus/Luxury car enthusiasts, GET IN HERE PLEASE! by joseph1013: 1:51pm On Aug 20, 2015
Cmon...get him the LEXUS dammit.

And hey, welcome to NL

1 Like

Re: Birthday Gift: Car gurus/Luxury car enthusiasts, GET IN HERE PLEASE! by nurey(m): 2:02pm On Aug 20, 2015
HerPapaPikin88:

Lol.
1. Above budget
2. Looks too basic. Leaning toward an SUV or CUV. The interior is sick, though!
3. He's not very fond of VW.

the lexus is ok and has what I term basic luxury i.e has luxurious gadgets that will stand the test of time and won't be too expensive, just remember to avoid the one with AIRS or be ready to change to springs, anyone comfortable for you.

As for the benz, I saw 2013 C400 and I was wondering what planet that ride was from. it wasn't too robust neither was it too cramped up, it was simply "WHAT YOU WANT" am sure the GLK would do the same for him. black on black is the only colour that fits benz, so if u going the kings way, ensure its black.
Re: Birthday Gift: Car gurus/Luxury car enthusiasts, GET IN HERE PLEASE! by HerPapaPikin88(f): 2:22pm On Aug 20, 2015
nurey:

the lexus is ok and has what I term basic luxury i.e has luxurious gadgets that will stand the test of time and won't be too expensive, just remember to avoid the one with AIRS or be ready to change to springs, anyone comfortable for you.

As for the benz, I saw 2013 C400 and I was wondering what planet that ride was from. it wasn't too robust neither was it too cramped up, it was simply "WHAT YOU WANT" am sure the GLK would do the same for him. black on black is the only colour that fits benz, so if u going the kings way, ensure its black.

Please what's this AIRS and which ones don't have it?
Re: Birthday Gift: Car gurus/Luxury car enthusiasts, GET IN HERE PLEASE! by kingreign(m): 4:04pm On Aug 20, 2015
HerPapaPikin88:

judging from my romance with Lexus, I'd choose a Lexus any day anytime and anywhere over a Benz.
Why?
simple answer, its got the basic ideology of motoring covered plus its dripping luxuriousness from roof to wheel albeit, in a manner that won't bite or become an eyesore in a few years.

Hope you know those Lexuses are built with the highest degree of precision and in the most automated technologically advanced car manufacturing plant which has the highest and stringent degree of safety and precision standards NO OTHER CAR COMPANY CAN BOAST OF ON EARTH?

AIRS refers to air Suspension, in Lexus/Toyota, air suspensions don't easily go bad. I mean they don't easily go bad. A currency dealer (Bureau de Change) who motivated me to get my Lexus uses a 2008 GX470 with AIRS, 5 years down the line he confessed he hasn't fixed a but apart from oil change, brake pad and the likes. mind you, he travels regularly to Kano and Maiduguri. That decision prompted me to go the lexus way.... any regrets?
No!

does Lexus AIRS go easily bad? No, do they impede driving when they go bad, no but the vehicle tends to lean towards the bad air suspension...
if you're gonna do a 2015 Lexus, go for the AIRS option and glide over roads as if you're in a world laid with double cheese and cream. wink

1 Like

Re: Birthday Gift: Car gurus/Luxury car enthusiasts, GET IN HERE PLEASE! by nurey(m): 4:39pm On Aug 20, 2015
HerPapaPikin88:

kingreign has explained what AIRS is and also given a review of its reliability but a nairalander had to change his air suspension to spring though it didn't affect his drive only that he can't adjust ride height that's all. Also gurus on this forum have advice against buying lexus with airs.
Re: Birthday Gift: Car gurus/Luxury car enthusiasts, GET IN HERE PLEASE! by kingreign(m): 4:45pm On Aug 20, 2015
nurey:

kingreign has explained what AIRS is and also given a review of its reliability but a nairalander had to change his air suspension to spring though it didn't affect his drive only that he can't adjust ride height that's all. Also gurus on this forum have advice against buying lexus with airs.

hope you know lexus AIRS dont get as nasty as benz airmatic or Range rovers air suspension?

Also do you know lomomike=kingreign?

1 Like

Re: Birthday Gift: Car gurus/Luxury car enthusiasts, GET IN HERE PLEASE! by HerPapaPikin88(f): 4:50pm On Aug 20, 2015
So does that mean the vehicle height cannot be adjusted if there is no AIRS? sad
Re: Birthday Gift: Car gurus/Luxury car enthusiasts, GET IN HERE PLEASE! by nurey(m): 5:36pm On Aug 20, 2015
kingreign:

hope you know lexus AIRS dont get as nasty as benz airmatic or Range rovers air suspension?

Also do you know lomomike=kingreign?

my Oga, no argument for that one, long time welcome back. But the G-wagon air suspension is one of the solid ones fitted to a vehicle. I ain't disputing lexus AIRS reliability but if I can get a vehicle with conventional spring, then that's fine and better.
Re: Birthday Gift: Car gurus/Luxury car enthusiasts, GET IN HERE PLEASE! by nurey(m): 5:51pm On Aug 20, 2015
HerPapaPikin88:
So does that mean the vehicle height cannot be adjusted if there is no AIRS? sad

AIRS as said is air suspension, a ballon like apparatus is fitted instead of a conventional coil spring. This kind of suspension enables adjustment of height of vehicle the major target is to give the vehicle in question an aggressive offroad capability, where u can increase the ground clearance of the body to pass or overcome obstacles like rocks, water, decrease the height so ur toddler can climb onboard easily. AIRS can be cool to have but always have this in mind, why will I buy something I may not probably use at an absurd price. Except you want him to drive the car in toureg, grand canyon etc.

1 Like

Re: Birthday Gift: Car gurus/Luxury car enthusiasts, GET IN HERE PLEASE! by HerPapaPikin88(f): 7:17pm On Aug 20, 2015
nurey:

AIRS as said is air suspension, a ballon like apparatus is fitted instead of a conventional coil spring. This kind of suspension enables adjustment of height of vehicle the major target is to give the vehicle in question an aggressive offroad capability, where u can increase the ground clearance of the body to pass or overcome obstacles like rocks, water, decrease the height so ur toddler can climb onboard easily. AIRS can be cool to have but always have this in mind, why will I buy something I may not probably use at an absurd price. Except you want him to drive the car in toureg, grand canyon etc.

Ok so no AIRS. Got it! Thanks for AIR-ing that out..! grin grin... cry I apologize for that pathetic attempt at a joke.. embarassed

1 Like

Re: Birthday Gift: Car gurus/Luxury car enthusiasts, GET IN HERE PLEASE! by HerPapaPikin88(f): 3:29pm On Aug 21, 2015
joseph1013:
Cmon...get him the LEXUS dammit.

And hey, welcome to NL

Lol. Which one though?
Re: Birthday Gift: Car gurus/Luxury car enthusiasts, GET IN HERE PLEASE! by sultaan(m): 7:52pm On Aug 21, 2015
Now if you want your Dad to be the biggest and baddest dog in town get him an Escalade
Re: Birthday Gift: Car gurus/Luxury car enthusiasts, GET IN HERE PLEASE! by Nobody: 9:53am On Aug 23, 2015
LandRover LR4 2015 will be more suitable for a Man in his 50s instead of all this cars with sharp edges that can bleed a man.
My birthday is also coming up Sept 5 and a 06 Avalon Toks wn't be bad sis.. I need female investors.
Regards

1 Like

Re: Birthday Gift: Car gurus/Luxury car enthusiasts, GET IN HERE PLEASE! by nurey(m): 11:04am On Aug 23, 2015
Bossforeva:
LandRover LR4 2015 will be more suitable for a Man in his 50s instead of all this cars with sharp edges that can bleed a man.
My birthday is also coming up Sept 5 and a 06 Avalon Toks wn't be bad sis.. I need female investors.
Regards

cooperate begging at its finest. lol
op me sef no mind 2015 new beetle diesel engine please. thanks in advance
Re: Birthday Gift: Car gurus/Luxury car enthusiasts, GET IN HERE PLEASE! by Nobody: 11:53am On Aug 23, 2015
nurey:

cooperate begging at its finest. lol
op me sef no mind 2015 new beetle diesel engine please. thanks in advance
lol! This ain't a typical camry tinylight thread or you didn't see the whips being quoted here. You are even talking of 2015 Bug. The older the model, the easier to get as a gift.
Re: Birthday Gift: Car gurus/Luxury car enthusiasts, GET IN HERE PLEASE! by mastro: 3:18pm On Aug 23, 2015
That's an easy choice, the GX460 is by far and away the best of those 3 choices for him.
let me explain

If he currently drives a LX470 he would not be impressed by the jumped up c class called the GLK from the plastic interior to its inability to traverse off road seriously.

Obviously he is also quite conservative so you want to buy him a car that he can use for another 15 years, without looking like a person wearing flared jeans and platform shoes in 2015, yes NX200t I'm talking about you, the NX will age horribly IMO whereas the GX will just look as solid and conservative as his 2000 LX does today.

1 Like

Re: Birthday Gift: Car gurus/Luxury car enthusiasts, GET IN HERE PLEASE! by HerPapaPikin88(f): 11:25am On Aug 24, 2015
mastro:
That's an easy choice, the GX460 is by far and away the best of those 3 choices for him.
let me explain

If he currently drives a LX470 he would not be impressed by the jumped up c class called the GLK from the plastic interior to its inability to traverse off road seriously.

Obviously he is also quite conservative so you want to buy him a car that he can use for another 15 years, without looking like a person wearing flared jeans and platform shoes in 2015, yes NX200t I'm talking about you, the NX will age horribly IMO whereas the GX will just look as solid and conservative as his 2000 LX does today.

This did it for me. The scales are definitely tipped in favour of the GX now. I like the seeming agelessness of the Lexus; doesn't seem to ever stop looking hella impressive. Thanks, Mastro.
I have from now til Thursday to decide so I don't mind getting a few more opinions.
Re: Birthday Gift: Car gurus/Luxury car enthusiasts, GET IN HERE PLEASE! by HerPapaPikin88(f): 11:27am On Aug 24, 2015
Bossforeva:
lol! This ain't a typical camry tinylight thread or you didn't see the whips being quoted here. You are even talking of 2015 Bug. The older the model, the easier to get as a gift.

LMAO!
Re: Birthday Gift: Car gurus/Luxury car enthusiasts, GET IN HERE PLEASE! by Nobody: 2:47am On Sep 04, 2015
i will say go for d gx 460...reliable suv,make sure d interior is black ooo

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Difference Between A Sport Car And A Muscle Car ? / Price Of Toyota Camry Tiny Light Power Steering Pump / For Sale 6 Weeks Old Used Range Rover (Sold)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.