Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,208 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:20 AM

7 Must Read Books By African Authors - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 7 Must Read Books By African Authors (26199 Views)

Hills And Wills Nwokedi, Twin Authors Of Dominik's Diaries / Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read / Must Read: Top 10 Most Read Books In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by successismine(f): 7:09am On May 10, 2016
mine are 1.the joy of motherhood 2.naira power 3.the beautiful ones are not yet born 4.things fall apart 5.African child 6.no longer at ease soooo mny great great stories by africa writers
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by sholay2011(m): 7:09am On May 10, 2016
HCF:
I have read all and they remain some of the best novels ever written by Africans.

Other books by African authors i like are The Bride Price-Buchi Emecheta, Violence-Festus Iyayi and Somolu Blues-(I cant remember d author),

'The Interpreters' by Wole Soyinka would have made my list but it was too hard for me to comprehend; I read the novel upto five times,before i could understand it grin
What of 'Joys of Motherhood' by Buchi Emecheta?

2 Likes

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 7:09am On May 10, 2016
Igbos are such good writers and novelists
Achebe
Cyprian Ekwensi
Elechi Amadi
Chimamanda
Buchi Emecheta
Chukwuemeka Ike
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by swaggzo(m): 7:13am On May 10, 2016
undecided
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by ogbevireo(m): 7:14am On May 10, 2016
These are also nice reads:

1. MINE BOY - PETER ABRAHAM

2. TELL FREEDOM - PETER ABRAHAM

3. ZAMBIA SHALL BE FREE - KENNETH KAUNDA

4. THE CHILDREN OF ANANSE

5. AKE- THE YEARS OF CHILDHOOD - WOLE SOYINKA

6. A TASTE OF COLLEGE LIFE - ERE EMA

7. SPLENDID

8. SUNSET AT DAWN - CHUKWUEMEKA IKE

9. The NAKED GODS - CHUKWUEMEKA IKE

8. THE ROAD TO FREEDOM - I can't remember the author of this one. its a story of returned slaves and their lives in Sierra Leone.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by Nobody: 7:19am On May 10, 2016
Aspireahead:
I have read most of the books there. The Beautiful ones are not yet born will dissapoint anyone who chooses to read it because of the title. and why is most, if not all of Cyprien Ekwensi's work based on Northern Nigeria and Hausa?
also read
The slave boy can't remember the name of the author.

An African night Entertainment by Cyprian Ekwesi.

the old man and the Medal by Ferdinand Oyono
The man Died by Sole Soyinka
The Devil and the cross Ngugi Wanthiongo
The trial of Sedan Kimathi Ngugi and Micere

The old man and the medal. A masterpiece.
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by HCF(m): 7:22am On May 10, 2016
sholay2011:

What of 'Joys of Motherhood' by Buchi Emecheta?
Yes, that's another masterpiece from Buchi Emecheta!

3 Likes

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by Nobody: 7:24am On May 10, 2016
Read
Violence by Festus Iyayi....I read it primary school and is one of my best novel
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by Nobody: 7:25am On May 10, 2016
Echoes of Hard times, Mothers choice, Our husband has gone mad again

4 Likes

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by sholay2011(m): 7:27am On May 10, 2016
HCF:

Yes, that's another masterpiece from Buchi Emecheta!
I read that book in SSS 1. I still remember the characters: Ona & Nnu Ego vividly (and not just their names) till date...even though I am not Ibo. Great book.

A pity the OP failed to mention some groundbreaking Yoruba novels like 'Ogboju Ode nine Igbo Irumole', and my favorites- 'Agbako Nile Tete' and 'Koseegbe'.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by uzolexis(f): 7:29am On May 10, 2016
Our husband has gone mad again by Ola Rotimi
A man of the people by Chinua Achebe
The gods are not to blame by Ola Rotimi

Awesome books.

1 Like

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by Nobody: 7:30am On May 10, 2016
Believe it or not, I've read ALL of them
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by dare2differ: 7:39am On May 10, 2016
I miss my African books. Time to start reading again

[size=18pt]

Lanicky for miss Nairaland 2016
[/size]

1 Like

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by nwadiuko1(m): 7:39am On May 10, 2016
AnthonyAk:

Story telling is such a beautiful art. More than any other people, Africans have mastered this art the best. Just take a look at the hieroglyphics from Egypt and how they tell tales of the times of the Pharaohs, tales that would have been otherwise lost.

Contemporary African authors have taken the African stories to paper and ink, a medium that will ensure the African story is never forgotten. There are many great books by African authors, some of whom I have not been privileged to read. Yet. Here however are my 10 must read books by African Authors for all lovers of literature and story telling.

The African Child – Camara Laye
I read this as a 11 year old and loved every word. In it, Laye describes life, growing up as an African child in Guinea, West Africa. Deeply nostalgic, the book is an autobiography portraying a vision of Islamic and ancient African community in the pre colonial era, a time when tradition engendered mutual understanding and respect for all.

The Beautyful Ones Are Not Yet Born – Ayi Kwei Armah
This is another childhood favorite although I didn’t understand much of it then until I read it a second time as an adult. It is a satirical attack on the Ghanaian society during Kwame Nkrumah’s regime and the period immediately after independence in the 1960. The book is regarded by many as a close second to Chinua Achebe’s Things Fall Apart as one of the finest books to come out of Africa.

The Narrow Path – Francis Selormey
One word to describe this one? Nostalgic. Effortless. Okay that is two words but what a perfect book. Selormey takes us a journey of childhood in rural Ghana. Growing up as the first child has its pains and joys for our little hero and you can’t help but root for Kofi, not even when he is beinga little rascal. Like an African Child, this book is descriptive and filled with imagery that will stay with you for a long time.

Weep Not Child – Ngũgĩ wa Thiong’o
Ngugi does a great job with this story, weaving fiction and non-fiction seamlessly into a wonderful tale. It is a moving story about the effects of the Mau Mau war on the lives of ordinary men and women in Kenya.

Things Fall Apart – Chinua Achebe
Take a deep bow people. This is one of the finest books ever written- by anyone, from wherever. It is probably the best known African novel and has become one of the world’s most influential literary masterpieces. Since publication, nearly 12 million copies have been sold(did i hear someone say ‘bestseller’), with translations into more than 50 languages. The book has been made into TV series- I clearly remember Pete Edochie’s apt interpretation of the book’s hero Okonkwo.

The Passport of Mallam Ilia – Cyprian Ekwensi
Ekwensi is one of an unsung hero of African story telling. From Jagua Nana to Toads for Supper, this wordsmith captures our minds with beautiful tales from all over Nigeria. The Passport of Mallam Ilia is an adventure set in Northern Nigeria and has everything a thriller should possess-adventure, love, betrayal and suspense. It is a beautiful story that will stay with you, long after the last page

Cry The Beloved Country – Alan Paton
Your heart cannot help but fill with love and hope after reading this masterpiece. I saw the movie first but no matter, it didn’t spoil the book for me. This is probably the most famous and important novel in South Africa’s history and it became an immediate worldwide bestseller in 1948. It is the deeply moving story of the Zulu pastor Stephen Kumalo and his son, Absalom, set against the background of a land and a people riven by racial injustice.

There are so many good contemporary authors today as well; the Adichies, Wainainas etc. Which are your favorite African authors and books? Tell us in the comments.
Source
have read all
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by kumakunta: 7:47am On May 10, 2016
Op what about
Trial of jimmy Johnson,
Sisi getue
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by MurphyG1(m): 7:47am On May 10, 2016
Mine is "The Palmwine Tapster" by Amos Tutuola.

Very interesting grin . Has anyone here read it?

2 Likes

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by Imoletide(m): 7:52am On May 10, 2016
Nice compilation Op. You guys should read 'The Wages of Sin' i can't remember the Author's name.
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by Onegai(f): 7:53am On May 10, 2016
I've read all. "Passport of Mallam Ilia" and "Cry the Beloved Country" still stay in my head. Especially then end, when the pastor at sunrise began to pray because it was the day of Absalom's execution.

I'll definitely introduce them to my kids. Also, do they still have the Pacesetter series in print? Which company owns the rights to them, can we revive them?
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by Ohibenemma(m): 7:56am On May 10, 2016
Growing up under an aunt who "owned" books, I read most of the books on that list before I was ten. The few ones whose stories I can still remember, were those I was opportuned to read again in JSS classes. Even those memories have turned blurry now, due to the quantity of stories (hard COVER, online, e-format, etc) one has been exposed to ever since.
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by theconcealed: 8:00am On May 10, 2016
Please who can help me with a soft copy of the book Ogboju Ode Ninu Igbo Irumole? Thanks
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by mondob2k(m): 8:04am On May 10, 2016
I av read 5 of them except for Cry The Beloved Country and Narrow Path... that was long ago. 90s Primary and Sec Sch days.

I can still remember some part of the poem frm which Weep not Child got its name

Weep not Child
Weep Not my darling
With these kisses of mine let me remove your tears

1 Like

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by lecturerdabo(m): 8:05am On May 10, 2016
Imoletide:
Nice compilation Op. You guys should read 'The Wages of Sin' i can't remember the Author's name.

Good book with great morals!

1 Like

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by chynie: 8:07am On May 10, 2016
handie:
I've read about 5 of these books.... Before my 15th birthday. Things fall apart was before my 9th(tho didn't really get d message) and actually, I've forgotten most of the stories.
Then u didn't read it, I have 5 of them before my 13th birthday but I have not forgotten
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by MosquitoLaps(m): 8:08am On May 10, 2016
Why didn't anyone mention A woman in Her Prime (A Ghanian novel) by Asare Konadu?

Chai! wetin Waec shows us dat year ehn! grin
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by HCF(m): 8:11am On May 10, 2016
sholay2011:

I read that book in SSS 1. I still remember the characters: Ona & Nnu Ego vividly (and not just their names) till date...even though I am not Ibo. Great book.

A pity the OP failed to mention some groundbreaking Yoruba novels like 'Ogboju Ode nine Igbo Irumole', and my favorites- 'Agbako Nile Tete' and 'Koseegbe'.

You're right. I really love the groundbreaking Yoruba novel 'Ògbójú Ode nínú igbó irúnmolè' by D.O Fagunwa , Ìrèké Oníbùdó also comes to mind.
Other favorites of mine are, Kékeré Ekùn, Efúnsetàn Aníwúrà, J'e Ng l'ògbà tèmi, O le Ku, Kúyè, Owó èjè...but, I haven't read 'Agbako Nile Tete' and Koseegbe( I have only seen the movie).

2 Likes

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by tolbis: 8:17am On May 10, 2016
The STILL BORN by Zainab Alkali should be added to the list OP.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by GodswillAJudins(m): 8:21am On May 10, 2016
Pavore9:
Read the Passport of Mallam IIia when l was 12, it led me into reading another northern-themed novel The Boy Slave written by Kola Onadipe. I still shudder whenever l recall the story, how children were kidnapped into slavery! Read his other books, The Return of The Boy Slave and The adventures of Souza

Reading Mine Boy gave me the childhood idea of what is was like living in then Apartheid South Africa.

Reading Efuru and Idu by Flora Nwapa gave me insight into traditional religion and dealing with barrenness.

We need to motivate our young ones to read for pleasure.

pls have also read the boy slave, as a 13yo old boy then, I can relate to every thing shettima went through vividly, can you help me with link to the part two, return of the boy slave.
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by bossun3(m): 8:24am On May 10, 2016
I saw some wonderful books mentioned here and couldnt help but smile recollecting them.

Efuru : I was engrossed in d book to d extent that I fell sick after seeing Efuru's heart brk at d hands of her ist husband; what abt when her only hope (baby girl died). i was literally in d pages. packing the yams, crossing d great river and so on. what about d characters? ajanupa (d bold and loud mouth friend) ,ogea (d househelp) and her parents, (borrow borrow)girribert (Gilbert) d old woman with bad leg etc.

dizzy angel

d gods are not to blame: ola rotimi

slave wife

chike by the river

Eze goes to school (college)

Night of african entertainment

d lion and d jewel: wole soyinka

samakwe in d stranger forest

ifeanyi and obi (dnt knw if that's d title but those are d main characters)

half of a yellow sun: chimamanda Ngozi

americana

purple hibiscus

things fall apart: chinua Achebe

long walk to freedom ("a book to be read bu every man alive"wink: nelson mandela

cant remember others jare dem boku..

@op: nice one bring back memories. my children go read oooo . choi

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by Bontia(m): 8:35am On May 10, 2016
Ngugi Wa Thiongo Petals of Blood
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by Pavore9: 8:39am On May 10, 2016
GodswillAJudins:

pls have also read the boy slave, as a 13yo old boy then, I can relate to every thing shettima went through vividly, can you help me with link to the part two, return of the boy slave.

I am yet to see a free online read for it but the hard copy is sold for N500 on this website.

http://www.sunshinenigeria.com/the-return-of-the-boy-slave-by-kola-onadipe
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by greatwaters: 8:44am On May 10, 2016
ebim:
Read
Violence by Festus Iyayi....I read it primary school and is one of my best novel
That novel i read in JSS 1. Borrowed from a senior. she couldnt understand my interest in such a novel.
I felt really sorry for Idemudia. struggled against poverty to cater for his family. Adisa his wife had good intentions but wasnt understanding. i remember her fighting idemudia cos there wasnt money for food.
Didnt like the ending, wished Adisa had been faithful like her husband, even tho she only slept with Obofun for money to help the family.
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by SirDavico(m): 8:44am On May 10, 2016
Bitterleafsoup:

Hahaha Dizzy Angel is preety good ..

That's right cheesy

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Please Don't Scream (PDS) / SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER / Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.