Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,160 members, 7,815,053 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:04 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4384038 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (3666) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by customised87: 10:16am On Aug 29, 2015
Hello...pls house is it a MUST to do german floor when building a bungalow on a dry land?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segcymoor(m): 10:35am On Aug 29, 2015
customised87:
Hello...pls house is it a MUST to do german floor when building a bungalow on a dry land?
MUST? No!

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by smiley001(m): 11:22am On Aug 29, 2015
segcymoor:

MUST? No!

Sir can u pls further explain d 'NO' becos most houses we supply granite to at abeokuta, ibadan, oshogbo, ife, akure, ado etc don't rilly do german floor and I used to think it's d norm but a bit surprised wit wot I'm seeing in lagos, as almost all d sites we v supplied granites to in lagos do german floor... Though we r new to lagos market and avnt rilly worked much here and can't rilly say for d whole of lagos but so sure of all other cities I mentioned above kos av worked there and still work there.

In other words sir, what are d conditions for a 'GERMAN FLOOR' in a building?

Any other Expert in d house can answer d question.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 11:26am On Aug 29, 2015
I tend to agree with @EgunMogaji on this issue of client-owner blending. We don't quite agree much though grin

When it comes to the issue of where a client wants to live, he should be greatly incloved. For me, things like POP design, door design, roof structure, type of tiles and how it's placed, type of plumbing fittings, architectural design, how my madam wants her kitchen (she's an Engineer too and very troublesome though she calls it "opinionated"wink. All these things can put me off in a building. In fact, I can't live in a house where I hate the POP desig

So, the owner has to be actively involved in the decision-making process. He can even change things while project is ongoing so far as he pays what is in the bill of variations.

But when it comes to structural work, the professionals should take the decisions while carrying the client along.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 11:32am On Aug 29, 2015
customised87:

Of course, not a must. Depends on what you call a dry land though.. Even Ibadan here that's landlocked, with water table running into hundreds of metres, we still have water rising through the block holes.

If you are lucky to have soil on your site that isn't clay, water doesn't rise in silty soil.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 11:47am On Aug 29, 2015
customised87:

Dry land? No!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 12:20pm On Aug 29, 2015
brabus:
Talking bricks and blocks, I wish I can be importing my blocks from Abeokuta. I can take a bet the blocks I used there can survive a 3m fall and the cost is simply amazing. N100 for 6" and N110 for 9"

Even their burnt bricks are super. Is there anyone who can attest to this? Or maybe I'm just lucky with the supplier?

it should be cheap there cos sharp and granite dust plenty and cheap.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 12:31pm On Aug 29, 2015
gabbytabby:

it should be cheap there cos sharp and granite dust plenty and cheap.

Hmm! I'm doing some serious business calculations.

Cheap land + Cheap materials + Cheap labour + Nearness to a very large target market = Big Profit!

Angel investors wanted. grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:37pm On Aug 29, 2015
Own a property today - invest wisely

Properties for Sale in Kaduna state
1.4bedroom flat + Gate + well fenced
price 8.5million

2.self contain + 4shops
price:5.5million

Lands for Sale

3.plots of land
lcation:layi
price: 75,000naira

4.plots of land
location layi: N150,000
nearness to newly constructed railway line
over head bridge

5.plots of land
price :N150,000

The following below are situated along Kaduna- Abuja express way.

6.obasanjo farm area - N550,000

7.Tsabon gaya area- N200,000

8.Gonigora area-N150,000

9.Buwaya area- N1.5milion

10.Buwaya area- N950,000

All lands are legitimate and will be duly signed by appropriate authorities
call/whatsapp:08186219002
Powered by BCWORLD
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:14pm On Aug 29, 2015
KolaShangOne:
I tend to agree with @EgunMogaji on this issue of client-owner blending. We don't quite agree much though grin

When it comes to the issue of where a client wants to live, he should be greatly incloved. For me, things like POP design, door design, roof structure, type of tiles and how it's placed, type of plumbing fittings, architectural design, how my madam wants her kitchen (she's an Engineer too and very troublesome though she calls it "opinionated"wink. All these things can put me off in a building. In fact, I can't live in a house where I hate the POP desig

So, the owner has to be actively involved in the decision-making process. He can even change things while project is ongoing so far as he pays what is in the bill of variations.

But when it comes to structural work, the professionals should take the decisions while carrying the client along.

That last sentence wouldn't apply in my case.

I think the issue with most Nigerian "professionals" that I've ran across so far is the air of superiority they attempt to pass off. Maybe it's because I'm Americana/Londoner and they assume we are dunces over here but what there is nothing structural about a building plan that "I" cannot decipher. This is not my first rodeo.

We shouldn't treat ALL clients the same. Some clients like me are intuned while some are not. We should not carry along any client that doesn't want to be carried along. Any contractor that wants to carry me along should recognize my heft grin

I want to work hand in hand with my chosen artisans (as partners, it's my site - not as an owner but as THE General Contractor), not to be carried along.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by wanaj0: 5:47pm On Aug 29, 2015
It is obvious people do many things they are not professionally competent to do in Nigeria.

While client gives a brief, the correctness of the design lies with the professional that puts his seal on the design. Part of the problem in Nigeria is that peopke just regurgitate designs that they dont understand. Once asked for the structural calculations for a building and there was none. Calculations for sizings of ACs not provided. Calculations supporting the height of the water tank not available. So you ask, what is the basis of the decision? Foundation design done without a soil test! What calculations were done for the plumbing works? Was there any electrical load calculation?

Designs in Nigeria is copy and paste. No attention to detail. A colleague from UK did the mechanical design (just a sketch) for a building and peopke were amazed!

We need to be professional or else quacks with presentation skills will take over the industry!

Someone talked about the strength of a block and use throwing it from a 4m height as an example. That already shows that the person does not know the concept of STRENGTH. Do we even do random tests of the blocks? Do we test the concrete we use?

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:31pm On Aug 29, 2015
wanaj0:
It is obvious people do many things they are not professionally competent to do in Nigeria.

While client gives a brief, the correctness of the design lies with the professional that puts his seal on the design. Part of the problem in Nigeria is that peopke just regurgitate designs that they dont understand. Once asked for the structural calculations for a building and there was none. Calculations for sizings of ACs not provided. Calculations supporting the height of the water tank not available. So you ask, what is the basis of the decision? Foundation design done without a soil test! What calculations were done for the plumbing works? Was there any electrical load calculation?

Designs in Nigeria is copy and paste. No attention to detail. A colleague from UK did the mechanical design (just a sketch) for a building and peopke were amazed!

We need to be professional or else quacks with presentation skills will take over the industry!

Someone talked about the strength of a block and use throwing it from a 4m height as an example. That already shows that the person does not know the concept of STRENGTH. Do we even do random tests of the blocks? Do we test the concrete we use?

So this is why I'm using a plan that I purchased from a renowned North American Architect (Mexico and USA) and specifically a bungalow (simple construction with very little loads) and just had my changes penned in by a Nigerian Architect in order to pass the Nigerian codes. Final Nigeria changed plan also reviewed by an American Architect.

I many not do a soil test (still debating) but I will bear the inherent cost of building based on the assumption that I have bad soil. I hope that makes sense.

I will also pass my self designed electrical and water plans through a USA certified builder. Not saying that their are no Nigerians qualified to do this but this is where my comfort/confidence lies in.

Again, I'm not saying that Nigerians are not qualified to do all of this, this is just where my confidence lies in. At the end of the day it/s me and my family that will be living in there.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 8:02pm On Aug 29, 2015
EgunMogaji:

That last sentence wouldn't apply in my case.

I think the issue with most Nigerian "professionals" that I've ran across so far is the air of superiority they attempt to pass off. Maybe it's because I'm Americana/Londoner and they assume we are dunces over here but what there is nothing structural about a building plan that "I" cannot decipher. This is not my first rodeo.

We shouldn't treat ALL clients the same. Some clients like me are intuned while some are not. We should not carry along any client that doesn't want to be carried along. Any contractor that wants to carry me along should recognize my heft grin

I want to work hand in hand with my chosen artisans (as partners, it's my site - not as an owner but as THE General Contractor), not to be carried along.

I think @wanajO has stated part of my mind. But the latter part if his msg is lipsrsealed

@EgunMogaji No matter your experience, there are still osne things you cannot do. There are still some things I cannot do. Building is a process and a lot of professionals should bei nvloved.

Its just that in Nigeria, you can actually build your 'shack' or house without even an approved plan number and start building. In DEVELOPED countries like where you are, ALL completed drawings must be made and approved before you can even break ground.

These drawings include Architectural , Structural, M &E. Now dont tell me you can make all these calculations on your own even if you can decipher and implement it. That was what I meant by letting the 'Professionals' handle it.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 8:11pm On Aug 29, 2015
@WanajO I test my concrete.. If the client could pay for it..
Its not too expensive but only govt jobs require it.
This is one I did at a materials Lab in Ibadan.. And if @hajjMufutau remembers, I started campaigning for Dangote 42.5R cement.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 8:15pm On Aug 29, 2015
KolaShangOne:

This is one I did at a materials Lab in Ibadan..
And if @hajjMufutau remembers, I started campaigning for Dangote 42.5R cement.

True, I remembered. But then we didn't know what trick Dangotte and his goons are cooking then..

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 9:13pm On Aug 29, 2015
@KolaShangOne, wanaj0

Lagos State Material Testing Laboratory guys are well equipped to carry out those tests in most sites in Lagos these days. Destructive and Semi-destructive tests are carried out on materials, concrete and steel during important phase (every stage is important o) of construction.

Various tests that have been carried out by LSMTL on our project site include (but not limited to):

1. Water suitability test
2. Compressive test
3. Pile integrity test using echo tester
4. Steel test.

And a lot more. You have to pay for it and it's very beneficial to contractors especially those bidding for government projects because it's a requirement. The last one I did is around N80k (can't remember exact figure). Hopefully, individuals will start requesting this before selecting a contractor for their project.

If you're doing any project in Lagos and you didn't come across LSMTL, you're just lucky.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:37pm On Aug 29, 2015
B
KolaShangOne:

I think @wanajO has stated part of my mind. But the latter part if his msg is lipsrsealed

@EgunMogaji No matter your experience, there are still osne things you cannot do. There are still some things I cannot do. Building is a process and a lot of professionals should bei nvloved.

Its just that in Nigeria, you can actually build your 'shack' or house without even an approved plan number and start building. In DEVELOPED countries like where you are, ALL completed drawings must be made and approved before you can even break ground.

These drawings include Architectural , Structural, M &E. Now dont tell me you can make all these calculations on your own even if you can decipher and implement it. That was what I meant by letting the 'Professionals' handle it.

Some of the stuff you said won't and doesn't apply to me. You don't know my background or the professional resources that I have available to me. If I come across as that I'll be a solo cowboy then you need to go back and read my comments.

I just won't be flabbergasted by a local champion builder or professional.

I intend to use professionals in an absolute sense but none is going to be over bearing and take over my site. They'll simply be a contractor coming in to do a specific and set task and leaving.

PS: I not only have a full set of complete building plans, but I've taken my time to study in order to understand what I'm looking at and I've had professionals here look at it too for conformity to sound building ideas. I avail myself to professionals to back up what I already know and have.

Apologies to bring this up but no architect will ever design a foundation based on 6" blocks for me and no builder will ever build me a foundation based on 6" blocks. I mean both the builder and architect are Nigerian professionals right? If the owner has immersed himself in his project and not just trusting professionals then the clusterfuck wouldn't have happened.

My architect who is on this forum can attest to the fact that I've caught some oversight on the plan.

This can only happen when you have a client that studied materials and in involved.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 9:41pm On Aug 29, 2015
Lagos State Material Testing Laboratory http://www.lsmtl.gov.ng

Pic: LSMTL guys at Oko Ado Multi Dwelling Project site.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 10:10pm On Aug 29, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Apologies to bring this up but no architect will ever design a foundation based on 6" blocks for me and no builder will ever build me a foundation based on 6" blocks. I mean both the builder and architect are Nigerian professionals right? If the owner has immersed himself in his project and not just trusting professionals then the clusterfuck wouldn't have happened.
My architect who is on this forum can attest to the fact that I've caught some oversight on the plan.
This can only happen when you have a client that studied materials and in involved.

Interesting! Unfortunately, the architect who drew the plan was the owners man. Likewise, the supervisor of the project wholly in charge of construction (excavation, blinding, reinforcement detailing, setting out, bricklaying, and sandfilling and even approval) till the alarm was blown was appointed by the owner.

The man who took the blame was the contractor who was somewhere in Lagos hoping things are going fine. He never had anything to do with the foundation until correction stage.

That's behind the scene sha. More like story for the gods.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abouzaid: 9:34am On Aug 30, 2015
please house do you think a book on building construction for Nigeria would find a large market? it would be a project based approach covering bott bungalows and duplexes/mutistory buildings in two separate volumes, secondly what about a book on architectural modeling with archicad/revit? i really want to do something new and different for the Nigerian building sector.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abouzaid: 9:42am On Aug 30, 2015
EgunMogaji:
B

Some of the stuff you said won't and doesn't apply to me. You don't know my background or the professional resources that I have available to me. If I come across as that I'll be a solo cowboy then you need to go back and read my comments.

I just won't be flabbergasted by a local champion builder or professional.

I intend to use professionals in an absolute sense but none is going to be over bearing and take over my site. They'll simply be a contractor coming in to do a specific and set task and leaving.

PS: I not only have a full set of complete building plans, but I've taken my time to study in order to understand what I'm looking at and I've had professionals here look at it too for conformity to sound building ideas. I avail myself to professionals to back up what I already know and have.

please refer me to this six inches foundation thread you keep referring to, besides most houses in Nigeria are built with six inches foundations, even here on nairaland, bungalows and atleast one duplex(with structural engineer approval) have been built with six inches foundations though all were outside Lagos. your still posting me around on the promised floor plan with a courtyard and two car garrage. it's not good o.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:53am On Aug 30, 2015
abouzaid:
please refer me to this six inches foundation thread you keep referring to, besides most houses in Nigeria are built with six inches foundations, even here on nairaland, bungalows and atleast one duplex(with structural engineer approval) have been built with six inches foundations though all were outside Lagos. your still posting me around on the promised floor plan with a courtyard and two car garrage. it's not good o.

My build is featured @ http://villageheadmaster.com/forums/topic/designing-and-building-my-bungalow/

"I" don't consider it prudent to build a foundation with 6" hollow block. I don't care if it's common practice. You can find the thread on here and it created quite the fiasco. You really need to find and read the thread.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:23am On Aug 30, 2015
How about conversion or repurposing, has anyone done that in Nigeria?

Something like taking an old fire station or church and converting it into a residence.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:26am On Aug 30, 2015
Please anyone know how much this POP center design sells for and where I can get them?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:44am On Aug 30, 2015
abouzaid:
please refer me to this six inches foundation thread you keep referring to , besides most houses in Nigeria are built with six inches foundations, even here on nairaland, bungalows and atleast one duplex(with structural engineer approval) have been built with six inches foundations though all were outside Lagos. your still posting me around on the promised floor plan with a courtyard and two car garrage. it's not good o.

You owe me big time Mister.

https://www.nairaland.com/1269713/lets-build-house

I consider the thread a required reading for all of us. The eminents of this section are all in there, it's a who is who of Property section weighing in.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:40pm On Aug 30, 2015
3strike:
Please anyone know how much this POP center design sells for and where I can get them?

anyone?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:41pm On Aug 30, 2015
3strike:

Anyone pls?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:10pm On Aug 30, 2015
3strike:

Spyder880 used and posted some and the prices sometimes ago... fire him an email and he will respond and I will check my archives if I find it.
Have you inquired in all those Alade markets etc in Lagos. I am sure it's around somewhere there.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segcymoor(m): 1:18pm On Aug 30, 2015
3strike:

anyone?
I think it should be within range of 6k
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 1:28pm On Aug 30, 2015
Properties for Sale in Kaduna state
1.4bedroom flat + Gate + well fenced
price 8.5million

2.self contain + 4shops
price:5.5million

Lands for Sale

3.plots of land
lcation:layi
price: 75,000naira

4.plots of land
location layi: N150,000
nearness to newly constructed railway line
over head bridge

5.plots of land
price :N150,000

The following below are situated along Kaduna- Abuja express way.

6.obasanjo farm area - N550,000

7.Tsabon gaya area- N200,000

8.Gonigora area-N150,000

9.Buwaya area- N1.5milion

10.Buwaya area- N950,000

All lands are legitimate and will be duly signed by appropriate authorities
call/whatsapp:08186219002