Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,862 members, 7,848,498 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 02:12 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1815) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4472420 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1812) (1813) (1814) (1815) (1816) (1817) (1818) ... (3688) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by davodyguy: 10:13am On Dec 05, 2020
spyder880:

By a bundle, he might mean 100 kg.

Making money in Nigeria is very easy grin (joking)

In May this year, I was asked to pay N108,000 for 100 kg of POP sponge in Onitsha, I refused because Enugu told me to bring N110,000, considering transportation, I came to Enugu and delayed for a week, I bought the 100 kg for N120,000 a week later, with abeg grin

Now the stuff is selling for about N250,000, don't you think we should be selling building materials instead? If I had money, I would have bought up to 1000kg, and by now I will be selling them for serious appreciation. Same thing land speculators do, same thing currency speculators do.
I was told it's ₦300,000 now in Lagos
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by davodyguy: 10:15am On Dec 05, 2020
twinskenny:

Na so boss mi
Pop cement at the beginning of this year was around 3000 but now 8k to 9k500
Should developers stop and hope prices come down or we just pay more?

I need 100 bags of POP cement ₦1,000,000
100kg of Sponge ₦300,000
Other items ₦200,000
Labour ₦200,000

This makes no sense
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 10:33am On Dec 05, 2020
davodyguy:

100kg of Sponge ₦300,000
Other items ₦200,000
Labour ₦200,000

This makes no sense

I had advocated a waiting game, but developers are sometimes impatient and will need to spend that money before they lose it. But, do we see a future in this country where these prices will reverse significantly? So that we will not have to wait forever. A lot of buildings became abandoned projects just because people waited.

So my next strategy is to stock. I have turned some sections of my properties to stores where I will be packing lots of building materials like iron rods, plastic pipes for plumbing and electrical, wires, keys and locks, nails, binding wires, wooden boards, house finish items and even tiles. Just anything that will not expire in a year.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by omanzo02: 10:35am On Dec 05, 2020
n3xt:

By their fruit you shall know them. I love Aussie’s bungalow designs. I have a great collection of their modern bungalows by Sater Designs
I saw different designs and colours of aluminium longspan, that creates a SIMPLE but outstanding rooftops view, I notice the ceiling are mostly insulated gyproc/plasterboard.
I was hoping insulated aluminium longspan should be available in Nigeria by now, it's more suitable for our weather, we have them on one of our warehouse, they are heat and cold proof ( cool in the summer and warm in the winter)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 10:35am On Dec 05, 2020
davodyguy:

100kg of Sponge ₦300,000
Other items ₦200,000
Labour ₦200,000

This makes no sense

The truth is anything that go up here hardly come down that much lol
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dongc(m): 10:47am On Dec 05, 2020
diordaves:

Maybe Nigerians abroad. Majority of home base artisans and contractors are a different specie. Nothing wey you go tell me.

Not here to tell you anything...I will not linger on this or do front and backs here...but joining foreigners to degrade yourself and agree that Nigerians are known as bad or evil and in your case majority of locals are....hmm
That assertion is wrong and not fair for others doing it well...remember you are Nigerian first...

For everyone else doing it right ✅ and pushing the right way...kudos to you...

May we all have a good Saturday and nice weekend � to y'all...cheers

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 10:51am On Dec 05, 2020
omanzo02:

I saw different designs and colours of aluminium longspan, that creates a SIMPLE but outstanding rooftops view, I notice the ceiling are mostly insulated gyproc/plasterboard.
I was hoping insulated aluminium longspan should be available in Nigeria by now, it's more suitable for our weather, we have them on one of our warehouse, they are heat and cold proof ( cool in the summer and warm in the winter)

Whatever you want is here in Nigeria and reasonably priced.

I was going to use same for NextHome20 (my new office block). I also intend to do exposed joist ceiling cutting off the need for the conventional POP Ceiling.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by omanzo02: 10:54am On Dec 05, 2020
spyder880:

I had advocated a waiting game, but developers are sometimes impatient and will need to spend that money before they lose it. But, do we see a future in this country where these prices will reverse significantly? So that we will not have to wait forever. A lot of buildings became abandoned projects just because people waited.

So my next strategy is to stock. I have turned some sections of my properties to stores where I will be parking lots of building materials iron rods, plastic pipes for plumbing and electrical, wires, keys and locks, nails, binding wires, wooden boards, house finish items and even tiles. Just anything that will not expire in a year.
Seems a better strategy the way things are going, my builder tried to encourage me to stock when cement was ₦3000, I felt we could buy when it's time, when I was ready it was ₦4000 and scarce to find.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by omanzo02: 10:57am On Dec 05, 2020
n3xt:

Whatever you want is here in Nigeria and reasonably priced.

I was going to use same for NextHome20 (my new office block). I also intend to do exposed joist ceiling cutting off the need for the conventional POP Ceiling.
Probably in Lagos, not nationwide.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 11:04am On Dec 05, 2020
omanzo02:

Probably in Lagos, not nationwide.

Yes.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 11:08am On Dec 05, 2020
n3xt:

We overbuild.

_____
But won’t they think we are poor? grin

I know, right? grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by davodyguy: 11:15am On Dec 05, 2020
spyder880:

So my next strategy is to stock. I have turned some sections of my properties to stores where I will be packing lots of building materials like iron rods, plastic pipes for plumbing and electrical, wires, keys and locks, nails, binding wires, wooden boards, house finish items and even tiles. Just anything that will not expire in a year.
Can you sell some items to me at old prices? grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 11:16am On Dec 05, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

I know, right? grin

Baba, you might want to check out (research) Corn Husk Ash as an alternative to Ordinary Portland Cement for non-structural applications.

_____
Won’t they think we are poor? shocked

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by davodyguy: 11:56am On Dec 05, 2020
What's happening with BUA and Ibeto Cement?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Enyinne(f): 12:13pm On Dec 05, 2020
You can try to paint ur image differently , its a known fact about some Nigerian artisans trying to cheat and steal raw materials at site. We hv a bad image already that we can only try to redeem by simple change of attitude in the business world . Note : dont think ur the only Nigerian abroad or well traveled , i hv also traveled well enough to countries and hv my own perspective to this things. The said client of his is a Nigerian resident in Usa , bought 980 sheets of which only 600 was used,the Nigerian was shocked and expressed his displeasure to the roof seller who narrated this story to me and advised me to secure my roofing sheet tightly to avoid being stolen , So calm down , we all know ourselves and typical behaviors.
dongc:
Nigerians are not known for evil worldwide...STOP IT....vague and condescending statement... my colleagues and people around me know Nigerians as exceptional people...we put in the work..

Do no denigrate everyone with your Chinese friend ...always insist there are bad eggs....

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DancingSkeleton(m): 12:51pm On Dec 05, 2020
davodyguy:

100kg of Sponge ₦300,000
Other items ₦200,000
Labour ₦200,000

This makes no sense
how big is your project?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by coldcandy: 1:14pm On Dec 05, 2020
Those pakistani cab drivers!
My first trip to Dubai (the cabdriver was so friendly and talkative enough to understand it was my first time in dubai), the guy call me my bill in dollars, airport to bur dubai. I told him to repeat it 3 times. The 3rd time he said dirhams.

davodyguy:

The act of or tendency to cheat, can be found in anyone, irrespective of race or colour.

I have been cheated by a Cab driver in UAE (Dubai) who comes from Pakistan to hustle in Dubai. He took us from our Hotel (Akas Inn) from Sharaf DG/Al Bashir and cheated with trip counting, making us pay more.

A bus driver who's a female, cheated us also in Auckland New Zealand, cause we had no idea of their currency. In come countries, they still use coins. Hence you may not really understand.

We're talking about Nigerians being cheats because we live here.

It's same way Donald Trump's crying that he has been cheated, because he believes there are crooks in America. After all, Trump himself cheated the American system in 2017 by paying less tax.

Criminals every where.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dbshaywhy(m): 1:18pm On Dec 05, 2020
n3xt:

Issokay bro!

I’ve always avoided using objects with sharp edge and projections in residential projects for safety (especially for kids) and to prevent rust/corrosion from water ponding on the surfaces.

Now I’ve learnt new thing. Thanks for sharing once again.

This is exactly why I have no interest in Aluminum casement windows... Very dreadful
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 1:23pm On Dec 05, 2020
dbshaywhy:

This is exactly why I have no interest in Aluminum casement windows... Very dreadful

When I saw uPVC windows, I marveled. But very expensive!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 2:22pm On Dec 05, 2020
Na soooooo.

My current moan with our people's dishonesty is this uber, bolt people. Someone set up business use money to get the infrastructure together so you all have access to continuous flow of customers. He gets 20% and at every opportunity they want to stiff him of his share.

It pisses me off when they say are you paying cash can we go offline. Too many of them even turn down a ride because you do not want to go offline. For me it's a no no as a safety issue.

All of them dey church and mosque asking God to bless the work of their hands but at every opportunity are waiting to destroy another's business.

Dijita:

This is what is frustrating to some of us and killing Nigeria as a whole. It seems that a lot of people in Nigeria have killed their conscience. How can you be asking someone more than double what is require for a project. A lot of our people are suffering because of this high level of dishonesty.

Many of us in diaspora really wanted to help people back home but how can you do this with this level of dishonesty. Imagine you take $50k to 100k home equity loan to establish business with this type of person in Nigeria how are you ever going to be able to recover your investment talk less of making profit.

We blame government for everything but this is not government this is an individual.

8 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 2:46pm On Dec 05, 2020
n3xt:

By their fruit you shall know them. I love Aussie’s bungalow designs. I have a great collection of their modern bungalows by Sater Designs

My house in Texas was built off of Sater design cool

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by davodyguy: 3:07pm On Dec 05, 2020
DancingSkeleton:
how big is your project?
Just a family dwelling at the front and block of two flats at the rear.

Cause we did piling, spent almost ₦10m on Foundation alone
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by davodyguy: 3:08pm On Dec 05, 2020
coldcandy:
My first trip to Dubai (the cabdriver was so friendly and talkative enough to understand it was my first time in dubai), the guy call me my bill in dollars, airport to bur dubai. I told him to repeat it 3 times. The 3rd time he said dirhams.

There are many migrants in UAE. Indians and Pakistan citizens are more than other races
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 3:14pm On Dec 05, 2020
coldcandy:

Trump cheated American all his life not only 2017 his still cheating as we speak

It's same way Donald Trump's crying that he has been cheated, because he believes there are crooks in America. After all, Trump himself cheated the American system in 2017 by paying less tax.

Criminals every where.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abolarin91(m): 3:17pm On Dec 05, 2020
Better option(the bolded part). That is why baba Latin bricklayer always have problem with architect on site!...baba Latin will be like "we have been doing it like this for long, e no mean" undecided
omanzo02:

Anyone can cheat, doesn't really matter where he/she comes from,......what I hate about Nigerian artisans is trying to make argument that defies science and conventional procedures to convince you. Hence I prefer to speak with an architect or civil engineer.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by whirlwind7(m): 3:47pm On Dec 05, 2020
spyder880:

By now every adult should have learned something peculiar to Nigeria

1. When prices rise significantly, they hardly ever go back to the initial prices. A slight marginal reduction could occur, but prices will never go back to the original prior to the increment.
2. Building materials such as cement usually see a spike in prices at the onset of the dry season, usually from November. At first I thought that is what was happening, until the price rise became crazy.
What this means is, don't expect any appreciable reduction until at least the beginning of next year's rainy season.

3. You can't rule out greed from dealers. I still can't explain how come there's a wide price disparity of cement across different states. Last time I bought at ₦3,500 per bag at Owerri about 2 weeks ago. Oga Spyder said it was ₦4,000 at Enugu yesterday. Other states gave prices ranging from ₦2,700 to ₦3,800 last week for even same brand of cement!

4. Nigeria will NEVER see any economic improvement at the rate things are degenerating, and with this headless FG in place. It is a dog eat dog situation. My brother was at the cement dealership lamenting how come prices increased twice in the same day, while one crazy dude came and bellowed at the top of his voice that he is ready to add an additional ₦100 per bag just so that the dealer can ensure his trailer load of cement gets delivered to his site promptly cry

Ike gwuru.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abraolas1: 4:06pm On Dec 05, 2020
hollaryincar:
Good day People,

I have a small kobo kobo bungalow project somewhere around Gudugba, Ifo. I need an "Engineer" to handle the project, I don't seem to be satisfied with the quality of work done on the site.

Work is still at foundation level

My Ogas in the house, I need recommendations, you can also send a message or quote me if you can handle the project

Kindly reach out to bayram 07031394732 currently at Ilogbo.

He handled my project from the scratch.

Absolutely Trustworthy and with Details
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by omanzo02: 4:10pm On Dec 05, 2020
Abolarin91:
Better option(the bolded part). That is why baba Latin bricklayer always have problem with architect on site!...baba Latin will be like "we have been doing it like this for long, e no mean" undecided
I am also in the engineering sector but not civil engineering so I engage expert in that field to handle what they are good at, discussion with an architect/civil engineer goes easier because we can communicate and make argument logically base on realistic fact and proven cases. I give him my expectations and benchmarks, I prefer he/she works with his bricklayers, iron bender, helpers, mixers etc to achieve the set goals so that if anything goes wrong I know who to hold responsible.
Because a bricklayer says he has been doing something for long doesn't mean he has been doing it right or qualified or doesn't equate him to an architect. I am not against artisanship or on the job skill/craft acquisition, for me safety and detail analysis matters.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DancingSkeleton(m): 4:48pm On Dec 05, 2020
davodyguy:

Just a family dwelling at the front and block of two flats at the rear.

Cause we did piling, spent almost ₦10m on Foundation alone
ah!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dongc(m): 5:07pm On Dec 05, 2020
Enyinne:
You can try to paint ur image differently , its a known fact about some Nigerian artisans trying to cheat and steal raw materials at site. We hv a bad image already that we can only try to redeem by simple change of attitude in the business world . Note : dont think ur the only Nigerian abroad or well traveled , i hv also traveled well enough to countries and hv my own perspective to this things. The said client of his is a Nigerian resident in Usa , bought 980 sheets of which only 600 was used,the Nigerian was shocked and expressed his displeasure to the roof seller who narrated this story to me and advised me to secure my roofing sheet tightly to avoid being stolen , So calm down , we all know ourselves and typical behaviors.

I am not here to claim anything or compete who traveled or not...it is just a simple thing...more especially while dealing with foreigners avoid soiling Nigerians name in the form of generalization ...if your artisans stole from you...it is not in the character of Nigerians but in the character of those that did it.....we can try to redeem our image while and after you have damaged it by labeling everyone.....this is a waste time...let us focus on buildings and builfing techniques instead..
have a good day

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 1stNumeroUno: 6:11pm On Dec 05, 2020
whirlwind7:

By now every adult should have learned something peculiar to Nigeria

1. When prices rise significantly, they hardly ever go back to the initial prices. A slight marginal reduction could occur, but prices will never go back to the original prior to the increment.
2. Building materials such as cement usually see a spike in prices at the onset of the dry season, usually from November. At first I thought that is what was happening, until the price rise became crazy.
What this means is, don't expect any appreciable reduction until at least the beginning of next year's rainy season.

3. You can't rule out greed from dealers. I still can't explain how come there's a wide price disparity of cement across different states. Last time I bought at ₦3,500 per bag at Owerri about 2 weeks ago. Oga Spyder said it was ₦4,000 at Enugu yesterday. Other states gave prices ranging from ₦2,700 to ₦3,800 last week for even same brand of cement!

4. Nigeria will NEVER see any economic improvement at the rate things are degenerating, and with this headless FG in place. It is a dog eat dog situation. My brother was at the cement dealership lamenting how come prices increased twice in the same day, while one crazy dude came and bellowed at the top of his voice that he is ready to add an additional ₦100 per bag just so that the dealer can ensure his trailer load of cement gets delivered to his site promptly cry

Ike gwuru.

My Oga, the disparity in price of Cement indicates that the hike is not from producer(s). A dealer told me this week that the middle men/distributors are the ones driving this particular crazy price. He confirmed that prices is still N2300-N2450 from producer. Someone corroborated it on a forum this week that a friend of his has made over N10m from this 'madness'.
So let's excuse the FG and talk to ourselves. We're bunch of greedy and callous people.

The government has its numerous shortcomings too o and we won't stop talking about them.

9 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Enyinne(f): 6:43pm On Dec 05, 2020
Oga go and seat down , i wont see black and call it white even when the truth is staring in my face . I'm not the cause of Nigerian bad image internationally so stop this your cheap game . I'm just narrating a discussion that went on between 2 strangers that happened to be customers and u want to make a mull hill out of it.Nairaland tourist minister grin
dongc:

I am not here to claim anything or compete who traveled or not...it is just a simple thing...more especially while dealing with foreigners avoid soiling Nigerians name in the form of generalization ...if your artisans stole from you...it is not in the character of Nigerians but in the character of those that did it.....we can try to redeem our image while and after you have damaged it by labeling everyone.....this is a waste time...let us focus on buildings and builfing techniques instead..
have a good day

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1812) (1813) (1814) (1815) (1816) (1817) (1818) ... (3688) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.