Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,968 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:54 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2262) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4383632 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2259) (2260) (2261) (2262) (2263) (2264) (2265) ... (3666) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KelvinCoaster(m): 7:50am On Jun 14, 2021
[quote author=rotecch77 post=102700651]

As I said earlier and more info about the said building.
The Total money paid me for all my work on that site is N100,000 as supervisions payment.

I suggest you make a refund of N100,000 back to BiigTee being payment made for supervision!

From all analysis,your supervision was abysmal(Extremely bad).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dijita: 7:51am On Jun 14, 2021
rotecch77:

Thanks you brother
We are into this game for some times now.

As I said earlier and more info about the said building, looking at the building all last course.
of the building are leveled you won’t notice diff of 5” slight bent of this building In sittingroom side area. ( pics attached above )

But the client said 9” which is not true
This is what happened the new man he called take another floor level from side B with( well leveled area ) with thickness of 3” now coming gradually to slightly slope area with now end at 8-9” which simple means the slope is just 4-5” as I said earlier.at sittingroom area ( the 3” increases the level thickness to 8-9” as he quoted)

I even told him that when its time to lay tiles this level can be corrected.

But where I’m I going as I said I’m not a fan of too much talk.
The Total money paid me for all my work on that site is N100,000 as supervisions payment ( other Payment N500,000 is for Labour ( Carpenter, plumbing, electrical, casting etc)
With all the wahala with OMONILE treating us with us charm and gun. ( if see how they are performing that day you will pity us)

But just to END all this
I want to know how much he spent on the slope level ONLY

Edit
I have work on many building finishing with diff level slab and we corrected them mostly while laying tiles.

Look at this building we handled for a client here at ajah area few years back.

The initial person who did the ground floor and some other part of the building before we are called did a diff slab level and we corrected it while laying tiles (diff level of about 3-6” in diff area.

Good morning Rotech. I am one of your client. so far i don't have complaint about you. I want to urge you to resolved this offline with your client.
Your experience or the number of project mistakes you have corrected in the past is not relevant to this client because the mistake of your workers you are responsible to supervise cost the client what he said to be over #1m. That is not a chicken change.
I know you have apologize to the client but you still need to offer him something. You said you were paid #100,000 for supervision. The reason for the #100,000 is for the client to derive the maximum benefit from the #500,000 spent on the artisans and materials.
Part of the reason we hire people on this forum is so that we can hold you guys accountable if you mess up. In this case you did drop the ball.

@bigitie,
I know how you feel because I had similar experience with my roofing woodwork that I had to tear it down and do it all over due to the stupidity and corruptness of the engineer. All I could do was to fire his ass. There is no way for me to recover my money from him. Even if I reported him to COHEN or whatever professional body he claim to belong they will not pay me back my money. I just let it go. That's why when some people claim to be COHEN engineer, I just laugh. Certificate does not teach morality. We have people from the best universities in the world and member of prestigious professional bodies robbing us of our national treasure daily.

Please and please @bigitie, a proverb say to err is human and to forgive is divine. Please consider his gesture and be considerate. God almighty will recompense you.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 7:57am On Jun 14, 2021
n3xt:

I knew what’s at play here and there’s no way I’d try to explain this without sounding insensitive to the issue at hand.

Few weeks back, someone asked a question on my thread and I shared this post below.

Some people/contractor are so hungry that the only thing they’d be looking for on a project is the fault of other contractors and they’d make the issue look like heaven is going to crash if something is not done urgently.

Also clients need to take my advice above serious when working with busy contractors to avoid being ripped off by unsuspecting and hungry contractors.

_________

That aside, please kindly work with the client offline to find an amicable resolution and always ensure that critical stage of work are personally supervised by you (especially the concrete pour).

I’m sure if you did you’d have spotted the issue during the concrete pour and put the clients mind at rest.

The most important of this profession is supervision which must be done right. Delegation doesn’t offload accountability.

Good morning and Happy New Week.

I agree completely.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 8:01am On Jun 14, 2021
Dijita:

Good morning Rotech. I am one of your client. so far i don't have complaint about you. I want to urge you to resolved this offline with your client.
Your experience or the number of project mistakes you have corrected in the past is not relevant to this client because the mistake of your workers you are responsible to supervise cost the client what he said to be over #1m. That is not a chicken change.
I know you have apologize to the client but you still need to offer him something. You said you were paid #100,000 for supervision. The reason for the #100,000 is for the client to derive the maximum benefit from the #500,000 spent on the artisans and materials.
Part of the reason we hire people on this forum is so that we can hold you guys accountable if you mess up. In this case you did drop the ball.

@bigitie,
I know how you feel because I had similar experience with my roofing woodwork that I had to tear it down and do it all over due to the stupidity and corruptness of the engineer. All I could do was to fire his ass. There is no way for me to recover my money from him. Even if I reported him to COHEN or whatever professional body he claim to belong they will not pay me back my money. I just let it go. That's why when some people claim to be COHEN engineer, I just laugh. Certificate does not teach morality. We have people from the best universities in the world and member of prestigious professional bodies robbing us of our national treasure daily.

Please and please @bigitie, a proverb say to err is human and to forgive is divine. Please consider his gesture and be considerate. God almighty will recompense you.

Thanks you and I also give thanks to others concern member here whose there aims is to solve any issue here, as I also use to do before which I will continue with.
I and him are on talk for the past view hours now and we area almost finished the talk.
I and him will revert back here once we finished.
Thanks you all

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by RockOfAgesAlumi(m): 8:05am On Jun 14, 2021
GOOD MORNING ALL
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BiigTee: 8:06am On Jun 14, 2021
Rotech might have been paid 100k for supervision but his company was paid well over n730,000 to bring their Carpenter, casting cost, iron bender, plumber and electrician while the decking was being prepared for casting.. I appreciate ur input sir.. However rotech would do part of the compensation while God does the rest! Negligence is an expensive issue especially in areas like decking..

Dijita:

@bigitie,

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aforxzy(f): 8:10am On Jun 14, 2021
I agree. This solution I'm not okay with it. The new engineer has only increased the dead load on the structure in a bid to solve a problem . He ended up adding more load on the foundation and stressing the beams and columns.

I always advice that levels should be taken before lintel and floor (decking) formwork is done to correct any uneveness in the structure.

Sorry about this.
Good that the issue is being resolved.

n3xt:

Who recommended this solution?

I think 10 inches thick concrete is just too much load on the structure regardless of the justification the engineer might have given.

Sorry for this error.

________

A simple fix for such issue is just to section the slab after confirming that the as-built design of the slab conform with structural design requirement.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KelvinCoaster(m): 8:11am On Jun 14, 2021
[quote author=BiigTee post=102690796][/quote]

He can start making restitution...first,by refunding the N100,000 you paid him for 'supervision'.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nosa111(m): 8:12am On Jun 14, 2021
??
Nosa111:
I intend to start working on my site tomorrow in Benin. Please how much is a bag of cement now in your location ??
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BiigTee: 8:20am On Jun 14, 2021
I would have shared in ur opinion if I didn't go there personally and see depth of the problem first hand.. I went to he site.. Stood on the decking at point A. The engineer walked and took a little jump on point B and the whole decking bounced! I was even scared for myself! If not that the engineer was well grounded in the field he would have ended his contract there and then! As that wasn't initially what he was paid to do! He was paid to supervise block work, lintel and parapet works..

After the cost of corrections done over there.. I can't even afford to do parapet again.. As funds budgeted have been largely depleted on corrections!.

The engineer in question didn't charge a penny extra on his professional fees for the corrections he did as he knew that the issue was unforseen and already costing alot! I bought all the materials myself! So he the engineer didn't gain anything from pointing out an obvious issue!

n3xt:

I knew what’s at play here and there’s no way I’d try to explain this without sounding insensitive to the issue at hand.

Few weeks back, someone asked a question on my thread and I shared this post below.

Some people/contractor are so hungry that the only thing they’d be looking for on a project is the fault of other contractors and they’d make the issue look like heaven is going to crash if something is not done urgently.

Also clients need to take my advice above serious when working with busy contractors to avoid being ripped off by unsuspecting and hungry contractors.

_________

That aside, please kindly work with the client offline to find an amicable resolution and always ensure that critical stage of work are personally supervised by you (especially the concrete pour).

I’m sure if you did you’d have spotted the issue during the concrete pour and put the clients mind at rest.

The most important of this profession is supervision which must be done right. Delegation doesn’t offload accountability.

Good morning and Happy New Week.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hslbroker2(m): 8:23am On Jun 14, 2021
BashyBuilds:
Thanks for ur encouraging may lord be with you sir
Amen and u too
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Elawnugo: 8:23am On Jun 14, 2021
Certified engineers in the group, please I have a question with urgent attention

Is there need for the seal of mechanical and electrical engineer for plan approval in Lagos state?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BiigTee: 8:24am On Jun 14, 2021
The planks were just removed on the 3rd or 4th and work started immediately.. As the work progressed the issue of sloping and decking bouncing started arising.. I contacted rotech who didn't handle such a serious issue with any sense of urgency!

Amastermovic:

This vibration does it come from foot load traffic and have u try to also observe the structure when heavy vehicle pass through your site road as well ..

the new guy approach is quite expensive (assumption) because I dont know how the building is scheme it may be d best

using mesh and addition thickness of 50mm to the slab couple with finishes of tiles chairs table bed etc etc will reduce d vibration .

What I'm just trying to say is while dragging your contractor you may likely need to drag ur designer a little because d reason you paid 4 is rest of mind ..

Contractor as well should have an in house person to quickly help them check the design before they commence with construction ..

check should be carry out for as built structure before you proceed , some as built work can land u in problem big one.

or you should have posted this for long maybe a easy fix will be suggested .

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Henix(m): 8:40am On Jun 14, 2021
rotecch77:

Thanks you and I also give thanks to others concern member here whose there aims is to solve any issue here, as I also use to do before which I will continue with.
I and him are on talk for the past view hours now and we area almost finished the talk.
Thanks you all

That is the right thing to do than dragging it here. All the best
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 8:40am On Jun 14, 2021
Just be calm
Since both of you are already in talks
Let this end well for both of you.

He has apologized and looking like taking up part of the financial loss.

So try to be calm sir.

BiigTee:
The planks were just removed on the 3rd or 4th and work started immediately.. As the work progressed the issue of sloping and decking bouncing started arising.. I contacted rotech who didn't handle such a serious issue with any sense of urgency!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 8:41am On Jun 14, 2021
Great.
It will end well.

rotecch77:

Thanks you all
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by smallsmall: 8:44am On Jun 14, 2021
djsjxjfjdisjdjb:

Lol. People do not know that architects are the head in a construction projects. Every other person on that project is answerable to them. Well, this is the case in saner climes.

You are saying a different thing entirely.
The argument is not about who is THE HEAD of the Building Team.
Ofcourse, that has to be the person who made the drawing, the Architect, so he can coordinate activities of every other Professional involved. That is an administrative solution.

The issues was about the Structural Stability (No Collapsing) of a building, does that responsibility rest with the Architect or the Structural Engineer?

Any Architect, good or bad or Unqualified, can design anything, beautiful, Ugly or just rubbish. It can still be built and will stand without collapsing, if the Structural Calculations are properly done by a Structural Engineer.

But if the Structural Engineer is bad or a Quack, no matter how beautiful or good the Architectural Drawing of the building is, it will Collapse during Construction or be an accident waiting to happen.

Look at the current example between @BigTee and @Rotech77, you can see that there was no problem with the Architectural drawing but @Rotech77 was doubling as the Structural Engineer (at implementation Stage) and Builder, both of which l think he is not qualified to do, not to mention the 'lack of adequate supervision' as a result of putting unqualified subordinates in charge of a Decking job..
I can vouch that @Rotech77 is a good and qualified electrical Technologist/Installer/Contractor and we have all seen his Electrical Contract works on display here, top notch, especially his terminations but is he a qualified Building Engineer (Structural )? if he is, how can he not know to use a simple Level to check at every point of the Decking job?
Anyone who is not a Qualified Builder should not venture into building Storey Buildings or Multi-level Houses, you might get away with your mistakes over time but it only takes one, just one mistake, for calamity to happen. We pray against such thing.
Restrict you trial and error to Bungalows and no one would know.

We have seen the same type of 'error of professional competence' in the early, past works of @Brabus (QC-1 and other's jobs) though he has learned over the years and is likely better now but it is not a Clients building work that should be used to "experiment and learn", that should be done in a School setting and complemented with Work Experience.
A lot of "cross-profession" seems to be ongoing nowadays because everyone wants to take their share of the Building Cake.
Architects, Surveyors, Electricians and even Baba Lati are all parading as builders and building Storey buildings!

@Rotech77: please approach your Client @Bigtee and work out how you can cushion his expenses, dont let this matter go beyond here and infact, if you can settle with your Client, beg him to take down his postings on this issue. There is no way you would come out unscathed, if you keep defending the indefensible.

The PRIMARY JOB of a Structural Engineer is to ensure the STABILITY of any Architectural Design, so as to avoid Collapse.
That of the Architect is TO DESIGN the Building, mostly aesthetics and beauty.[/b]

10 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nannymcphee(f): 8:58am On Jun 14, 2021
Please can the house recommend an engineer resident in benin city. I am about to start a 2bedroom/1bedroom bungalow.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BiigTee: 8:59am On Jun 14, 2021
Well said sir
smallsmall:

Ofcourse, that has to be the person who made the drawing, the Architect, so he can coordinate activities of every other Professional involved. That is an administrative solution.

The issues was about the Structural Stability (No Collapsing) of a building, does that responsibility rest with the Architect or the Structural Engineer?

Any Architect, good or bad or Unqualified, can design anything, beautiful, Ugly or just rubbish. It can still be built and will stand without collapsing, if the Structural Calculations are properly done by a Structural Engineer.

But if the Structural Engineer is bad or a Quack, no matter how beautiful or good the Architectural Drawing of the building is, it will Collapse during Construction or be an accident waiting to happen.

Look at the current example between @BigTee and @Rotech77, you can see that there was no problem with the Architectural drawing but @Rotech77 was doubling as the Structural Engineer (at implementation Stage) and Builder, both of which l think he is not qualified to do, not to mention the 'lack of adequate supervision' as a result of putting unqualified subordinates in charge of a Decking job..
I can vouch that @Rotech77 is a good and qualified electrical Technologist/Installer/Contractor and we have all seen his Electrical Contract works on display here, top notch, especially his terminations but is he a qualified Building Engineer (Structural )? if he is, how can he not know to use a simple Level to check at every point of the Decking job?
Anyone who is not a Qualified Builder should not venture into building Storey Buildings or Multi-level Houses, you might get away with your mistakes over time but it only takes one, just one mistake, for calamity to happen. We pray against such thing.

We have seen the same type of 'error of professional competence' in the early, past works of @Brabus (QC-1 and other's jobs) though he has learned over the years and is likely better now but it is not a Clients building work that should be used to "experiment and learn", that should be done in a School setting and complemented with Work Experience.
A lot of "cross-profession" seems to be ongoing nowadays because everyone wants to take their share of the Building Cake.
Architects, Surveyors, Electricians and even Baba Lati are all parading as builders and building Storey buildings!

@Rotech77: please approach your Client @Bigtee and work out how you can cushion his expenses, dont let this matter go beyond here and infact, if you can settle with your Client, beg him to take down his postings on this issue. There is no way you would come out unscathed, if you keep defending the indefensible.

The PRIMARY JOB of a Structural Engineer is to ensure the STABILITY of any Architectural Design, so as to avoid Collapse.
That of the Architect is TO DESIGN the Building, mostly aesthetics and beauty.[/b]

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BiigTee: 9:02am On Jun 14, 2021
It would give me no greater joy than to delete these posts once he has sufficiently reimbursed me for my losses..

The longer he delays.. The more people see it and the more posts I make on other pages too.. It's all a losers game right? Let's see who loses more!

smallsmall:

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:06am On Jun 14, 2021
Aforxzy:
I agree. This solution I'm not okay with. The new engineer has only increased the dead load on the structure in a bid to solve a problem. He ended up adding more load on the foundation and stressing the beams and columns.

I always advice that levels should be taken before lintel and floor (decking) formwork is done to correct any uneveness in the structure.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by smallsmall: 9:25am On Jun 14, 2021
UC92:
To be candid, the variation in level isn't so much an issue, it easily can be corrected.
The vibration of the slab is the major problem which ordinarily could have been tackled by intersecting 2 drop down beams at areas with large spans. Unfortunately it may not have been indicated in the design.
The staircase in question doesn't look good too, I don't think the stair waist is sufficient enough to support it. If possible support with a column at the midpoint.

Nothing will scare a House Owner,like a shaking Decking.
Deckings rest on walls and columns, contain reinforcement and beams, it should never be moving up and down, never!
What if it collapses on people downstairs, when more dead loads are added to it?

For the vibration to be so obvious and responsive to someone jumping up (that is a swing, not even a vibration), shows that the Decking is not balanced, probably Columns are missing at strategic points, likely the reinforcements in the Decking, especially the internal, decking beams are not adequate or even probably the mix ratio of the concrete is weak.

Whatever it is, it does not look good at all and might present danger in the future.
If l were the owner, the approach l will use is to call the Structural Engineer who designed the Project, to have a look and confirm whether it is safe and if not, what should be done to make it safe.

A Swinging Deck should not just be leveled with more concrete load, the reason for such movement should be first clearly established or the Decking removed completely and a proper, new one done, at great cost.
Fear dey cath me sef, from where l am right now. grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 9:35am On Jun 14, 2021
More reason why people should stop buying architectural drawings.

I am suspecting there is no architectural drawing/structural drawing for this build or it was bought (A prepaid drawing). (Just my assumption and I am bad at it cheesy)
smallsmall:

Deckings rest on walls and columns, contain reinforcement and beams, it should never be moving up and down, never!
What if it collapses on people downstairs, when more dead loads are added to it?

For the vibration to be so obvious and responsive to someone jumping up (that is a swing, not even a vibration), shows that the Decking is not balanced, probably Columns are missing at strategic points, likely the reinforcements in the Decking, especially the internal, decking beams are not adequate or even probably the mix ratio of the concrete is weak.

Whatever it is, it does not look good at all and might present danger in the future.
If l were the owner, the approach l will use is to call the Structural Engineer who designed the Project, to have a look and confirm whether it is safe and if not, what should be done to make it safe.

A Swinging Deck should not just be leveled with more concrete load, the reason for such movement should be first clearly established or the Decking removed completely and a proper, new one done, at great cost.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 9:52am On Jun 14, 2021
nannymcphee:
Please can the house recommend an engineer resident in benin city. I am about to start a 2bedroom/1bedroom bungalow.

@Spyder880

@AbdulWastecx
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 9:59am On Jun 14, 2021
Well as said we are in talk he spent about 500k the buildings slope ( not handle by me as you all know ) so from this 500k my intention is to give him 100k but I’m ready to dole out 250k to him and move on.
Life no end there.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Valuepaints20(m): 10:15am On Jun 14, 2021
money121:

Tested ok
I recommend him

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BiigTee: 10:19am On Jun 14, 2021
Rotech, once again u are trying to make me look foolish and I don't like it one bit! Pls don't try to play smart here.. Don't even try it!
I told u to pay N500k out of 900k+ spent correcting the slope and out of the overall apprx 1.2m spent correcting all ur mistakes.. Yet u come here to say I spent 500k? Don't try to play games with me bro!

Once again u have proven to be very crooked and not straight forward.. Attached to this post are screenshot of my conversation with rotech this morning

rotecch77:
Well as said we are in talk he spent about 500k the buildings slope ( not handle by me as you all know ) so from this 500k my intention is to give him 100k but I’m ready to dole out 250k to him and move on.
Life no end there.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BiigTee: 10:28am On Jun 14, 2021
Rotech77.. People on this forum want to trust you! They have high respect for you as u have been a long standing member of this forum.. And 90 percent of ur customers come from here!

The way u are going about this whole thing is going to only worsen things! Lying to make ur customer look stupid is not nice.. U agreed I spent nothing less than 620k(excluding cost of iron rod which u begged me to remove) not u are saying I spent 500k? Why? Why lying? I hope u know that the people on this page are not children who would not see beneath and beyond ur ways!

rotecch77:
Life no end there.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by folmus: 11:04am On Jun 14, 2021
smallsmall:

As I read this post, I kept looking up. One of the reason I left my rented apartment in Lagos. I couldn't sleep with eyes closed despite the owner's corrections on the decking.
If I am this situation, na to remove the decking completely. Fear still dey catch me gan! Eni sango batioju eja kojebawon bu oba koso grin grin

Hope they sort it amicably.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by soonest(f): 11:10am On Jun 14, 2021
Nosa111:
??

The last i bought was in May and it was 4k

(1) (2) (3) ... (2259) (2260) (2261) (2262) (2263) (2264) (2265) ... (3666) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.