Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,779 members, 7,817,218 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:19 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2602) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4390145 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2599) (2600) (2601) (2602) (2603) (2604) (2605) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 3:57pm On Nov 24, 2021
cbmfi:

Good afternoon house. I finally joined nairaland because of this thread. I have been here as a guest for a while and I have learnt so much. Thank you all for the useful contributions and insights. God bless you.

I’m thinking of starting my project by January and see what I can achieve by the end of next year. I have some questions though:

Can 5 million raise a 4 bedroom bungalow from foundation to roofing? Please bear in mind that the land was previously a fish pond but that has been discontinued for over 5 years but the pond area is still open and wasn’t filled.

Also gurus in the house recommend a good hand for house plan. Its a 30x120 half plot, I want a sexy (lol) 4 bedroom plan.

NB: if you’re a drawer, please don’t contact me. I’ll only reach persons referred to me by the people I consider as well versed on the thread. Thank you.

The pond might be an excellent opportunity for a subterranean floor.

I certainly won’t fill it in and will use it as a garage or man cave.

Good luck on your project.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 4:00pm On Nov 24, 2021
Aforxzy:
The effectiveness of a beam is the function of its span and depth. This means that the longer the span, the deeper the depth.

A beam whether rectangular or flanged needs adequate depth against deflection. When you put a beam on a slab of say 150mm thick, the beam does not have enough depth and will deflect. Also the reinforcements required for such beam if design will be much as againt those provided by the iron bender.
So invariably the hidden beam does not prevent deflection of the slab.

The right thing is to reduce the spacing of the reinforcement or increase depth of the slab.

I'm sorry, I still don't understand.

First off; I don't know why it is called "hidden". It is not hidden. It is a beam. As I understand as experienced with my builds, you beam with the beams supported by the blocks and columns and then you pour your slab (decking) with your slab supported on the beams. Are you saying this is a wrong practice? Please educate more. Are we to pour the slab directly on top of the block work? Or do you mean something else?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 4:04pm On Nov 24, 2021
Grandstronics21:

The one priced @335k is THERMOCOOL and the large.
But my brother, if I show you some crazy price differences in this stuff from 2018 till date, you go open mouth.
You'll see something of 100k today, if you go back to order for a new stock next week, you fit see crazy price increase.
Hisense 1hp AC that was not up to 80k in 2019, it is now 133k general price (individual gives different prices though).
And things are increasing, not coming down.
This country is not helping matter at all.
This MAXI below (4 burners + 2 hotplates) - total 6face is over 250k. grin
I just hope this is not the one you talked about, if na this one, this country is gone.
LOL.

It's the wood design type.
Yes, total of 6 plates.

The wooden front is more expensive than this.

Dollar is coming down, yet prices of items going up.

Before they blamed dollar rate, what should be blamed now?

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 4:31pm On Nov 24, 2021
somehow:

It's the wood design type.
Yes, total of 6 plates.

The wooden front is more expensive than this.

Dollar is coming down, yet prices of items still going up.

Before they blamed dollar rate, what should be blamed now?
demurrage and delays at the wharf is a problem. The time it takes to clear goods now is longer due to congestion.

Everything we see now is after effects of lockdown imposed during the height of COVID-19.

Please know that I don't hold brief for anyone oh
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 4:34pm On Nov 24, 2021
michlins:
demurrage and delays at the wharf is a problem. The time it takes to clear goods now is longer due to congestion.

Everything we see now is after effects of lockdown imposed during the height of COVID-19.

Please know that I don't hold brief for anyone oh

Except this is what is going on everywhere in the world.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 4:49pm On Nov 24, 2021
Imas007:

Good day Horlardorjah, Thank you very much for your time. i really appreciate your positive feedback and God Bless.

This is a detailed architectural floor plan on a 50by100fit plot which comprises of a 3bed room flat in the front with an ante room and a laundry, all rooms ensuit and a bed seater attached behind from my Engineer. I would appreciate any constructive criticism, any feedback that would help me out.

Why is there no access from the Living room to the dinning room?

I will open up the wall from the living room to dinning room
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 4:55pm On Nov 24, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Certainly won’t be cheaper but I’m specific about what I want. What you’re showing is what I’ve been seeing at stores in Nigeria. I saw what I wanted on a Ghana show.

Thanks.

This link may have what you want, but it might not be brand new https://www.nairaland.com/okemkpi/
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 5:05pm On Nov 24, 2021
somehow:

Except this is what is going on everywhere in the world.
yes it is. While Nigeria own hurts differently is because we have a very low purchasing power. While cost of goods and services are increasing, the minimum wage has remained the same and unemployment rates is still very high.

While all are contributing factors, don't rule out Nigerians are greedy
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by micgray100(m): 5:18pm On Nov 24, 2021
more Commendations on this trend... hoping to get referrals...

DO YOU KNOW YOUR ALREADY REGISTERED COMPANY IS "INACTIVE" ON CAC PORTAL..
TO CHANGE IT TO "ACTIVE"... ANNUAL RETURNS OF THE COMPANY FROM YEAR OF INCOPORATION NEED TO ME FILED YEARLY TILL 2020..
WE HANDLE AT 25K PER YEAR..

Get your company registered today for a token...

I am the cheapest in Nigeria...

REGISTER YOUR LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY WITH JUST A TOKEN... 75k with duration of 4 working days..

Whatsapp or call.... Mr Gbenga....
Zero, Seven, Zero, Three, Two, Seven, Two, Eight, Nine, Four, One.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 5:37pm On Nov 24, 2021
michlins:
May we never risk our project because of paucity of funds
The building self get as E be.
Look at pipes everywhere.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 5:42pm On Nov 24, 2021
cbmfi:

Good afternoon house. I finally joined nairaland because of this thread. I have been here as a guest for a while and I have learnt so much. Thank you all for the useful contributions and insights. God bless you.

I’m thinking of starting my project by January and see what I can achieve by the end of next year. I have some questions though:

Can 5 million raise a 4 bedroom bungalow from foundation to roofing? Please bear in mind that the land was previously a fish pond but that has been discontinued for over 5 years but the pond area is still open and wasn’t filled.

Also gurus in the house recommend a good hand for house plan. Its a 30x120 half plot, I want a sexy (lol) 4 bedroom plan.

NB: if you’re a drawer, please don’t contact me. I’ll only reach persons referred to me by the people I consider as well versed on the thread. Thank you.

Hmm.
The first issue requires a serious tackling method.
You will need to backfill for easy setting out.
Note: the foundation must go beyond the backfilling so as to make the building balance structurally.
I hope the land isn't water logged.

You can consult us for your Architectural plan.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 5:45pm On Nov 24, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Good idea sir.
Na money o.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by cbmfi: 5:53pm On Nov 24, 2021
Its not exactly a dry land. Thanks for your advice.

uncleteeh:

Hmm.
The first issue requires a serious tackling method.
You will need to backfill for easy setting out.
Note: the foundation must go beyond the backfilling so as to make the building balance structurally.
I hope the land isn't water logged.

You can consult us for your Architectural plan.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by cbmfi: 5:56pm On Nov 24, 2021
I’ll google subterranean floor to see if it’s something I’ll like to implement. Shey it’s not expensive sha grin

Thanks.

EgunMogaji2:

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Horlardorjah(m): 5:57pm On Nov 24, 2021
GoodFaith:

Why is there no access from the Living room to the dinning room?

I will open up the wall from the living room to dinning room

There was,I believe it's an error from the designer misrepresenting it during corrections he made
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abuiltech(m): 6:01pm On Nov 24, 2021
We are always available, For your Mechanical, electrical and plumbing design and installation project, call us : 08144291141
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by cbmfi: 6:12pm On Nov 24, 2021
My Oga, I was actually looking forward to your input on how far 5M would go. I’m hoping it will take me to roofing, do you think it will?

EgunMogaji2:

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 6:21pm On Nov 24, 2021
michlins:
yes it is. While Nigeria own hurts differently is because we have a very low purchasing power. While cost of goods and services are increasing, the minimum wage has remained the same and unemployment rates is still very high.
While all are contributing factors, don't rule out Nigerians are greedy
Prices won’t adjust overnight even if dollars is a little lower against the Naira now. It takes between 4-6 months for goods to arrive from warehouse in China to Warehouse in Nigeria.
From experience, I will explain how Nigeria market reacts to exchange rate.

Let’s say an importer imports an AC at the cost of #450k each in January when dollar was $1-$450.
Then in July dollar went up up to #550. What big wholesalers do is they buy up all the stock from the importers. ( in fact, importers do not actually keep those stocks, they distribute them to wholesalers)
Now the importer has sold or distributed all his AC stock at #450k. But he needs to somehow come up with #550k to order for new stock that would arrive in 4-6months. Therefore the new stock that would arrive in November would be sold or distributed at #550k.
The wholesalers know this. Remember those stock they got for #450k ? They would never sell them for less than #550k due to obvious reason. The reason is because when they return to the importers in November, they would be a new price.
Comes November, dollar changes to #530. Consumers would assume an importer would adjust his price to sell an item that was imported at #550k for #530 at a #20 loss!
No, expect to buy it for #580k even though dollar is a little less at the moment.

You see that wholesalers that got it for #450k? He too is sold out at maybe #500k, and made #50k profit which he used to take care of himself and family and rent. The importer gave him a grace of 3months to pay up for goods collected. So he is fine with doing some turnovers with money.
Now he needs to restock. He goes to the importer, this time with cash, which is #450k being all he has left from the initial business . To his surprise, the same AC is now #580k.
Where would he get the difference?

Meanwhile, consumers are waiting for him with hope of reduced dollar which would translate to reduced price. He dare not say otherwise, if not he is greedy.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dapotemi: 6:22pm On Nov 24, 2021
After over a year consistently on this thread, i will be patronising a vendor from this thread... I have always been avoiding that due to the numerous, not too palatable issues in the past but i will buy wood and other accessories worth a million naira from hslbroker2....
He has promise to do POD... I have promise to pay him IMMEDIATELY.... My carpenter and Engr will received the truck, count the wood, ensure it's okay and they will signal me to pay... Hslbroker2 has ASSURED me that what he's bringing will be of utmost quality, not MIX, exact specification and i will be happy with it... I will come here to give feedback... If this goes through, then i will consider this thread for my window/door/plumbing etc... It's my little way of saying, Thank you to the thread and the MEN here, i always receive valuable info.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timsilver(m): 6:33pm On Nov 24, 2021
cbmfi:

I have a plan you can consider. I can send it to you for free and; if it meets your taste(sexy). You can consider it. It's the 3D only.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 6:39pm On Nov 24, 2021
sonnie10:

Prices won’t adjust overnight even if dollars is a little lower against the Naira now. It takes between 4-6 months for goods to arrive from warehouse in China to Warehouse in Nigeria.
From experience, I will explain how Nigeria market reacts to exchange rate.

Let’s say an importer imports an AC at the cost of #450k each in January when dollar was $1-$450.
Then in July dollar went up up to #550. What big wholesalers do is they buy up all the stock from the importers. ( in fact, importers do not actually keep those stocks, they distribute them to wholesalers)
Now the importer has sold or distributed all his AC stock at #450k. But he needs to come up with #550k to order for new stock that would arrive in 4-6months. Therefore the new stock that would arrive in November would be sold or distributed at #550k.
The wholesalers know this. Remember those stock they got for #450k ? They would never sell them for less than #550k due to obvious reason. The reason is because when they return to the importers in November, they would be a new price.
Comes November, dollar changes to #530. Consumers would assume an importer would adjust his price to sell an item that was imported at #550k for #530 at a #20 loss!
No, expect to buy it for #580k even though dollar is a little less at the moment.

You see that wholesalers that got it for #450k? He too is sold out at maybe #500k, and made #50k profit which he used to take care of himself and family and rent. They importer gave him a grace of 3months to pay up for goods collected. So he is fine with doing some turnovers with money.
Now he needs to restock. He goes to the importer, this time with cash, which is #450k being all he has left from the initial business . To his surprise, the same AC is now #580k.
Where would he get the difference?

Meanwhile, consumers are waiting for him with hope of reduced dollar which would translate to reduced price. He dare not say otherwise, if not he is greedy.

succinctly put. You can't explain it better at all
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by cbmfi: 6:47pm On Nov 24, 2021
Okay please I’d love to see it. I’ll inbox you a number to put it via WhatsApp. Thanks a lot.

Timsilver:

I have a plan you can consider. I can send it to you for free and; if it meets your taste(sexy). You can consider it. It's the 3D only.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 6:55pm On Nov 24, 2021
dapotemi:
After over a year consistently on this thread, i will be patronising a vendor from this thread... I have always been avoiding that due to the numerous, not too palatable issues in the past but i will buy wood and other accessories worth a million naira from hslbroker2....
He has promise to do POD... I have promise to pay him IMMEDIATELY.... My carpenter and Engr will received the truck, count the wood, ensure it's okay and they will signal me to pay... Hslbroker2 has ASSURED me that what he's bringing will be of utmost quality, not MIX, exact specification and i will be happy with it... I will come here to give feedback... If this goes through, then i will consider this thread for my window/door/plumbing etc... It's my little way of saying, Thank you to the thread and the MEN here, i always receive valuable info.

We pray it go well o
We are on standby #Electrical and more
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DFAMEGUY11S(m): 7:13pm On Nov 24, 2021
babadots:

I thought as much. Thank you, anyhow.

But do you per chance know the guys who installed the rails?.............like meeting them on site or having their contacts?
no sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 7:18pm On Nov 24, 2021
dapotemi:

God will provide for you sir. To build these days takes the Grace of God
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 7:20pm On Nov 24, 2021
On going Legrand DB final sub circuit termination

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Charisdesigns: 7:29pm On Nov 24, 2021
Aforxzy:
I was on a site yesterday to resolve a structural issue and the iron bender suggested putting a hidden beam on the slab. This I have noticed on alot of sites even some owners do it.

I told him no and he said he knew I won't accept he goes along with it.

The issues of hidden beam on a slab is a bad practice and is fast becoming a norm. It makes no sense and has no technical or structural backing.

Hidden beam on floor slabs are just imaginary strength enhancement concept.
The use of hidden beam are not beneficial to the behavior of slab. The principle that deflection of solid slab obeys still remains constant, “Depth

The longer the slab span, the deeper the beam should be.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Tsuccesssquare: 7:29pm On Nov 24, 2021
Muyi002:

Eventually I spent more than that but not too much sha.

8,700 difference is fair.

I might just as well go for this. Thank you for the info.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Charisdesigns: 7:31pm On Nov 24, 2021
Charisdesigns:

Last month someone approached us for a hotel structural design with columns span of 7.8m at all sides and going to 4 floors.

After our calculations, we arrive at a beam depth of 750mm with y20 reinforcements.

It was after the whole process that the person told us that, they want to use the design for approval but their intent is to use secret beam (not the one we designed with a beam drop of 750mm) for the entire project, and I almost jump out of my skin upon hearing that. He said they have seen so many beamless slabs and they are still standing.

We have to take out time to school them on different types of slabs (solid,flat,ribbed,waffle) and how it has its own design/construction principles and how that flat slab is not a function of secret beams(that’s actually disastrous)

The problem is that most of all this people are truly not in the know (In this case, they were obviously mistaken solid slab for flat slab(beamless slab) and as such they believe it is hidden beam that will hold their 7.8m span slab.

I wrote this recently about secret beam / a span of 7.8m
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rmx: 7:42pm On Nov 24, 2021
n3xt:
Drywall Gypsum Board

I’m looking for good deal on drywall gypsum board. Anyone offering 8,000 - 8,500 per board (3m x 12mm) can please hit me up.

Ready to pickup 100 boards this morning.

Thanks.

Pop board ? 1.2 x 3 m , 12mm thickness ?

I am ready to pickup a 1000 with profiles if price is good . Keep me posted abeg
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by SurveyorGeo: 7:47pm On Nov 24, 2021
dapotemi:

I pray it will go well, and I am waiting for your testimonies grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (2599) (2600) (2601) (2602) (2603) (2604) (2605) ... (3667) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Loftus(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.