Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,312 members, 7,819,059 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:45 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2702) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4399463 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2699) (2700) (2701) (2702) (2703) (2704) (2705) ... (3669) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by oduncojamaica(m): 10:20pm On Jan 08, 2022
dapotemi:
Good evening All, pls am considering using those red brick and not the usual block in my next project...I usually fancy it anytime I set my eyes on A red brick house....pls my land is a little water logged, is there any disadvantage using red brick? Any info or advice will be much appreciated..
From what have seen in my area, they used block for the foundation and continue with the red block after German floor (DPC).
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Ggee(m): 10:44pm On Jan 08, 2022
Agreed sir. That is why I have 1 person from this group working on my project and another pencilled down at the appropriate time.

mountmoriah:

Yoruba bo, won ni, ti a ba di ki ni buruku fi ko ja, a oni mo ni gba ti eni ere ma ko ja.

In English

It means

If we close our eyes for bad people to just pass us by, we would never know when the angels are passing

It is an adage
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by inze(m): 10:57pm On Jan 08, 2022
michlins:
two(2) 1000 gallons at the top and one (1) 500 gallons at the middle. Making a total of two thousand five (2,500) gallons. It's customizable to fit your specific water needs.

The materials are:

6 by 3 H beam channel(stands and load beams)

4 by 2 H channel (for the poline)

6 by 3 plates for the guzzets

2" angle iron for the diagonals

12 by 12 by 10mm for the base plates

. . . this is some serious business going on here. shocked
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Ggee(m): 11:55pm On Jan 08, 2022
To the professionals in the house. Please what is your take on windows: Frame casement or Frameless?
Thanks in anticipation of your input and the advantage or otherwise of the choice.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mountmoriah(m): 12:14am On Jan 09, 2022
Ggee:
To the professionals in the house. Please what is your take on windows: Frame casement or Frameless?
Thanks in anticipation of your input and the advantage or otherwise of the choice.

The best for you is casement windows

Look at different designs you can pick from

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mountmoriah(m): 12:17am On Jan 09, 2022
When we apply this to your buildings

Looking on

I won't derail this thread, with pictures, many people are on this space, this should be enough.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Adedward(m): 12:32am On Jan 09, 2022
Gud dey sir,both of the frames are good it just depends on (choice) and ( money)becouse frameless are high in prices Dan casement sir, and the frameless need extra careful Dan casement windows, because it has tinny frames sizes Dan casement, it required good professional for the installation, it's need to install carefully, it's the one of the best windows in town,

Ggee:

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mountmoriah(m): 1:02am On Jan 09, 2022
Buying or considering replacing your traditional windows with casement windows, these guides may be advantageous to you as a nairalander or a non nairalander.

We are all here to learn and reading this article now will give you an insight to some important things about Casement window which is one of the best most popular modern type of windows in World, other types of windows includes basement, bay, awning and louvers windows.

So let get started, let us share our ideals and experience as well.

Awning windows and Basement windows also look like casement windows but they are partially different in terms of installation but louvers windows are entirely different from all.

Casement windows are one the most made of aluminum windows in the world.

In Nigeria we have different companies importing these products for making of these windows by the process called fabricating.

Nigalex is the one of the most expensive follow by the tower aluminum, then there are imported ones many windows fabricators call tower standard but not tower just the standard of what tower produce locally, majority are from china but they have standard of tower quality, you know what I mean, Nigeria are not mining iron ore at ajaokuta talk more of mining aluminum, all this materials are imported, apart from woods for roofing, blocks for building, Coleman wire produce in Nigeria, there are few others building materials Nigeria produces.

The standard glass thickness for residential building is 5mm, you can choose to have a transparent glass, black, white or cream but all of this is a choice, but for security purpose the best one is the type that you can see people outside when you are inside in the afternoon or morning, but they can’t see you, they will only be looking at themselves as if it was a mirror they are seeing and in the night they can hardly see what is inside even when the light is on in the night expect the person is as close to the window as skin is closer to the bones in our body.

Casement windows are usually hung vertically with an opening window hinged from the left or right side of the frame. The opener can be inward or outward, but is more commonly installed with the opening element moving in an outward motion. Windows which open inwardly are usually seen in residential apartments or buildings where security and safety are an issue of concern or paramount.

Due to the simple construction and stout, ruggedness, staunch and sturdy frame, casement windows are known to stand the test of time, compare to all major types of windows, without repairs or replacement.

The Crank is the controller locker of the opening and closing of the window unit, if the crank is not well fix or attach, or the material use is not standard, then the crank is likely to fail at a very short time.

The biggest market for these casement windows products is at Aluminum Village, Dopemu close to Egbeda in Lagos, Nigeria.

Casement windows can be embedded with net, and burglary so there is no need of doing a separate burglary proof or net, when you are considering casement windows for your project, though there are some people that love to have their casement windows and net embedded together while they do a separate burglary that will be install separately but at the end you will end up spending more money than you need to spend on a single window that will have a casement, burglary and net embedded together.

If you are considering the casement, burglary and net embedded in the iron rod that will be use inside the burglary pipe is 16mm.

Important things to consider are Reasonable Price, Efficiency, Zero Noise Cancellation, Available in Different Designs and Color, Ventilation.

Reasonable Price
Casement windows are one of the best priced windows types, I can categorically tell you that a casement windows measuring 4ft x 4ft or 1.2m x 1.2m with burglary and net embedded together is around N45k to N50k without burglary is N35k to N40k plus, designs applies

Efficiency
Casement windows are one of the most energy efficient windows, the sash which is the framework in which panes of glass are set in the window, when closed form a seal around the entire windows frame, reducing or zero cancelling the amount of Air Leakage which can pass between the inside and the outside space, so your air conditioners can attach uppermost coolest of the inside house.

Zero Noise Cancellation
Zero Noise penetration or cancellation from the outside space is another added value for you when you install a casement windows, so whatever you are saying inside your room will not leak outside and whatever noise outside can’t come inside especially when you leave beside a church or a mosque, please remember I’m an Atheist, lol.

Available in Different Designs and Color
Casement windows is available in various variety of finishes and colors designs with range of accessories such as chrome, vinyl or brass crank handles, you can also add a range of optional extra such as surface grills and lead grills this makes the casement windows more attractive to the eye and less plain looking like sliding windows.

Ventilation
Casement windows provide good ventilation and usually allow two way ventilation methods, one which allows you to open the windows full.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mountmoriah(m): 2:31am On Jan 09, 2022
I will recommend casement windows for residential buildings any day anytime, as a professional, it's economy and durable.

If u think otherwise let us have your opinion, we are here to learn after all.

I wrap it with nylon, while i was also plastering the house inside the Estate at the time we are fixing the windows so the plastering paste will not dirty the windows.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:01am On Jan 09, 2022
Dijita:

Hello Rotech. Thank you for what you have done so far. You may yet be able to bring this to a conclusion that is satisfying to the house. We appreciate what you have done.
Next, I am going to admit that I didn't know the whole story. I review previous comments to get an idea of the dispute. I saw comments from our friends here telling you that you need to do the needful. You are among the few I have spoken to on this forum and you have assisted me in the past.
To be frank with you, It's a let down to your client and some of us rooting for you to succeed and overcome the checkered past that some are always waiting to throw in your face. The fact that you get fired from the project is enough for you to have settled this with your client so that it is not a topic of discussion on this forum. There are many things you could have done if the client is not been reasonable such as bringing in people you have help to resolved their own dispute.
The fact that you are dragging this out is costing you more than #2 million. Unless I am mistaking, you should be making more than #2million profit on a project. How many people reading this back and forth and that you told the mediator you will let him know when you will pay #1 million after your head cool down will consider you reasonable and will want to give you work?
As you talk the talk try and work(walk) the work. Make it a matter of urgency to liaise with the mediator and settle with your client ASAP. This is the advice I will give to my own child. A word they said is enough for the wise that is surely wise.

Greetings sir and thanks for your understanding.

I didn’t say I won’t pay. I only said I don’t have the N1m now because I do not have it with me. I’m still going to recover some funds from suppliers.

For those who knew me, I get all my materials ahead of any project. This particular project is not an exception

I’m paying back to my client the amount paid to me on most items that I’ve bought since May 2021 and not refunding funds that were diverted for selfish reasons.

>> Atrium Toughened Glass
>> Roofing Tarp
>> Roofing Sheets & Installation
>> Roof installation accessories
>> Formwork for Fins

https://www.nairaland.com/6450270/construction-journal-xl6-trillion-atrium/3#101421810

The truth is which is easier to do “To build a foundation, walls, slab, staircase, roofing framework and a fence in 2 months (Mar 15 - May 17) or to install roofing sheet in 7 months.”

If we didn’t buy materials with the funds given to us, I don’t know how else we would have achieved what we did on the project in 2 months and take more time to do a less than 48 hours roofing installation job.

________

I really wish I made N2m on the project... we won’t be here dragging issues. I’m very sure I didn’t charge up to N1m for supervision and contractors profit out of which 2.5% of the total sum wasn’t paid.

_________

I was clear on the issue of refund with the mediator that I’ll do something but I need some time to cool off because I’m working on 3 new projects that belongs to people here and I wont want to be seen as diverting their funds to pay “Gbese”

I was also clear on why I’m not doing more than the N1m and why I need to cool my head on other stuffs. Maybe the reasons weren’t clearly communicated.

To be honest, I foresee all these issues/challenges and I pleaded with my client to reconsider the recommendation to terminate the contract without properly tidying up all the lose ends. It’ll only cause more delay and heartache.
I even shared that this same issue is what I’m handling on another project and we did all we can not to fire any of the subcontractors on the project for best reasons.

_______

I’m silent for now because I know responding to every post on this matter won’t fix the issue but make things worse.

________

Thanks once again for your counsel. We’d tidy this one too up and I believe a lot of lessons has been learnt.

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:05am On Jan 09, 2022
For those talking greed blah blah, I’m not the money money type.

Even my iPhone 7 that I’m using to type this post was given to me by a client 2 months ago. I don’t drink, neither do I club but I work and I invest heavily in my business.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bolu1986(m): 4:07am On Jan 09, 2022
n3xt:

Even my iPhone 7 that I’m using to type this post was given to me by a client 2 months ago. I don’t drink, neither do I club but I work and I invest heavily in my business.

Bro you still haven’t said anything sir….
The question is when are you going to tidy up?

11 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by raylands(m): 7:00am On Jan 09, 2022
to kick start any building project we know certain things have to be considered first which will then bring out the total bill that the project will entail.....
1. A Registered survey plan
This shows the dimension of the said project site and also properly registered with the agency in question, this is a valid document needed
from a surveyor in order to facilitate the Architectural designs then the Quantifying comes in....
2. Architectural designs
3. Mechanical Drawings if needed
4. Building Approval
4.Bill of Quantity
5. Registered Builder
6. Other Artisans

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by raylands(m): 7:13am On Jan 09, 2022
we are surveyors

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:22am On Jan 09, 2022
Thanks @Blessedsunny2 for the lovely tiles. Everyone loved it.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DFAMEGUY11S(m): 7:34am On Jan 09, 2022
Door door your new security turkey door

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DUNKA(m): 7:36am On Jan 09, 2022
n3xt:

Any definate timeline for the 1 million refund you agreed with with Rotech and the client?

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Blessedsunny2(m): 7:42am On Jan 09, 2022
n3xt:
Thanks you my boss for patronizing me alot,is God doing.
Thank you all

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Blessedsunny2(m): 7:48am On Jan 09, 2022
Still your blessed sunny global investment home of building materials. Blessed Sam building materials ENTERPRISES

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Focusmind: 8:02am On Jan 09, 2022
n3xt:

What are the cost implications of doing this type of American panel cladding over plastering/screeding and then painting? Is it cheaper? It is very common in US.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Horlardorjah(m): 8:17am On Jan 09, 2022
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Blessedsunny2(m): 8:33am On Jan 09, 2022
Focusmind:

What are the cost implications of doing this type of American panel cladding over plastering/screeding and then painting? Is it cheaper? It is very common in US.
Although it is very costly and it is advisable to use the screaming and painting in your own house.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:39am On Jan 09, 2022
Focusmind:

It’s not cheaper but it’s worth the extra spend. I use facade cladding on my projects as a step away from traditions; to act as second shell and to also shield the wall against elements. Facade cladding are more easier to care for and require little or no maintenance.

On the church project, I decided to use the facade cladding to cover the weather side of the building which is more often affected by rain, wind and weather.

I did same on Ilé Ode 1 to conceal imperfections during construction.

______

Cost: 7,000 - 7,500 per sqm

______

This post is made in good faith without disregard to the allegations leveled against me.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Focusmind: 9:11am On Jan 09, 2022
n3xt:

It’s not cheaper but it’s worth the extra spend. I use facade cladding on my projects as a step away from traditions; to act as second shell and to also shield the wall against elements. Facade cladding are more easier to care for and require little or no maintenance.

On the church project, I decided to use the facade cladding to cover the weather side of the building which is more often affected by rain, wind and weather.

I did same on Ilé Ode 1 to conceal imperfections during construction.

______

Cost: 7,000 - 7,500 per sqm

______

This post is made in good faith without disregard to the allegations leveled against me.

Cost stated is inclusive of materials and labour? Every every

I am not talking about the red south African bricks. I meant the American panel cladding
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:19am On Jan 09, 2022
Focusmind:

Cost stated is inclusive of materials and labour? Every every

I am not talking about the red south African bricks. I meant the American panel cladding

Yes and yes!

For me, everything is about efficiency. I provide the support and all the tools required to deliver the project at reasonable amount.

I can’t say the cost will be the same outside. Talking from experience.

________
We don’t have many professional wall siding installers around so it might cost more to engage one that come highly recommended.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DFAMEGUY11S(m): 10:01am On Jan 09, 2022
Horlardorjah:

How much is the second door
good morning sir , 250k wholesaler price
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mountmoriah(m): 10:07am On Jan 09, 2022
DFAMEGUY11S:
Door door your new security turkey door
how much is these
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 10:25am On Jan 09, 2022
Ggee:
Why is dishonesty ingrained in some of our people? Reading all these makes me unease in giving out jobs to people on this forum.

This your inference ehn..

If you give out jobs to people that are not on this forum, they wont run away with your money too? I laugh..

As a contractor, do you know how much I've lost to people (not on this forum) running away with money?

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 10:27am On Jan 09, 2022
MrOkenwa:
Somehow, I can understand how it feels to lose one's hard earned money in this manner. I hope you'll be able to get your refund at the end of the day.
I experienced something similar last year. My own saving grace(there was no legal binding) was that the contractor threatened me at some point. I had a chunk of my money refunded because of a very notable personality that he indicted in one of my recordings. I spent almost the equivalent of that money to pursue my case but I was satisfied that I took my money(my sweat) back.
Truth is that majority of folks in this trade are well connected, plus the fact that they're also aware of the many pitfalls in the documents they present to the unsuspecting clients as contracts. It makes it difficult to get your refunds unless it's done willingly.
There's no doubt that you've learnt your lesson. Good luck in your project sir.

Pls sir.. Was your contractor on this forum?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 10:29am On Jan 09, 2022
dapotemi:
Good evening All, pls am considering using those red brick and not the usual block in my next project...I usually fancy it anytime I set my eyes on A red brick house....pls my land is a little water logged, is there any disadvantage using red brick? Any info or advice will be much appreciated..

If your Land is water logged, then you can only use red bricks for your superstructure. It must be away from water.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DFAMEGUY11S(m): 10:35am On Jan 09, 2022
mountmoriah:
how much is these
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 10:47am On Jan 09, 2022
n3xt:

Greetings sir and thanks for your understanding.

I didn’t say I won’t pay. I only said I don’t have the N1m now because I do not have it with me. I’m still going to recover some funds from suppliers.

For those who knew me, I get all my materials ahead of any project. This particular project is not an exception

I’m paying back to my client the amount paid to me on most items that I’ve bought since May 2021 and not refunding funds that were diverted for selfish reasons.

>> Atrium Toughened Glass
>> Roofing Tarp
>> Roofing Sheets & Installation
>> Roof installation accessories
>> Formwork for Fins

https://www.nairaland.com/6450270/construction-journal-xl6-trillion-atrium/3#101421810

The truth is which is easier to do “To build a foundation, walls, slab, staircase, roofing framework and a fence in 2 months (Mar 15 - May 17) or to install roofing sheet in 7 months.”

If we didn’t buy materials with the funds given to us, I don’t know how else we would have achieved what we did on the project in 2 months and take more time to do a less than 48 hours roofing installation job.

________

I really wish I made N2m on the project... we won’t be here dragging issues. I’m very sure I didn’t charge up to N1m for supervision and contractors profit out of which 2.5% of the total sum wasn’t paid.

_________

I was clear on the issue of refund with the mediator that I’ll do something but I need some time to cool off because I’m working on 3 new projects that belongs to people here and I wont want to be seen as diverting their funds to pay “Gbese”

I was also clear on why I’m not doing more than the N1m and why I need to cool my head on other stuffs. Maybe the reasons weren’t clearly communicated.

To be honest, I foresee all these issues/challenges and I pleaded with my client to reconsider the recommendation to terminate the contract without properly tidying up all the lose ends. It’ll only cause more delay and heartache.
I even shared that this same issue is what I’m handling on another project and we did all we can not to fire any of the subcontractors on the project for best reasons.

_______

I’m silent for now because I know responding to every post on this matter won’t fix the issue but make things worse.

________

Thanks once again for your counsel. We’d tidy this one too up and I believe a lot of lessons has been learnt.

Oga Brabus / N3xt.. Truth be told.. this is not tenable..

There's nothing that concerns your client with you recovering money from YOUR own suppliers.. Should he wait and wait till you settle with your own suppliers

Working on 3 new project so you don't want them to think it's their money? All these are just mere excuses.

You personally are worth alot of millions if I'm not mistaken. You have alot of dump trucks, machines and other stuff. If you spend 5million today, why will a client think its his money? You are capable of even obtaining a loan to clear this mess to protect your name. A name is really important.

It's been at least 3 months after termination of contract. Full refund should have been issued for jobs not done.

I've been avoiding commenting on this matter because I don't have all the facts and I honestly can't do the long back and forth read..

Oga Rotech said he spoke to you for over 1 hour on this matter too.

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2699) (2700) (2701) (2702) (2703) (2704) (2705) ... (3669) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: diordaves(m), Valuepaints20(m), jameslojohn(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.