Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,669 members, 7,823,894 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:36 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (276) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4414498 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (273) (274) (275) (276) (277) (278) (279) ... (3671) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 5:50pm On May 27, 2016
Egunmogaji baba,

If your roofing wasn't a slopy roofing, what would have been the sqm ?

I am buying the idea of this flat roofing and I have been eying podosci and Abdul design

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 6:23pm On May 27, 2016
selade:
@Hajj, Lastpage, syder880
If you don't mind, can you pm me your phone number. I still need lots of guidance on roofing & subsequent stages on my project.
My immediate questions is around the following:
- Roofing design: I hear of gable, dorman , flat. Need a bit more clarity on the different types and how it impacts the cost for woodwork and roofing.
- What's the best place to source wood for the wood work.
- I expect the roofing dimensions to be about 500sqm. I need to get a rough estimate for labour charges for both wood work and actual roof installation, to use as benchmark.
- Appears Tower & 1st Aluminium will turn out to be very expensive, so need to discuss further on the alternatives.
etc etc etc
Really appreciate your assistance.

Many people just go for the design they like... you can't be thinking about wood only..
But I think it all depends on the type of aluminum you intend to use too.. wood carcass varies for Longspan, Steptiles and Metcoppo,
but Steptiles and Metcoppo are more similar in wood usage. Also Flat roof tend to consume less woof and aluminium but not many
houses you can use this style. Next is HIP styles that may also consume less wood. The height of your Kinpost will also affect the wood quantity.
I am staying at about 16ft or 5m for any of my project's King Post. The photo I posted earlier was 16ft King Post.

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:25pm On May 27, 2016
agarawu23:
Egunmogaji baba,

If your roofing wasn't a slopy roofing, what would have been the sqm ?

I am buying the idea of this flat roofing and I have been eying podosci and Abdul design

In my opinion,

1) sloppy is not the only thing that saves money, it's the height of the kingpost. For example my king post was actually drawn to be 2.5 blocks high, but my carpenter took it on his own to do 5 blocks high.

The lower the kingpost the less overall material that you use hence lower cost.

I never considered any other roof type for the accessory building so I never compared the cost.

2) for the main house, it will be cross hipped roof and my carpenter has done me in now because the slope between both structures must be uniform. So I'll be having a 5 block kingpost.

My recommendation is as follows.

Unless you're building a rental, on your residence please be true to the style that you want.

Go on Houzz.Com and look at various designs and choose one that'll make your chest swell with pride as you come up the driveway.

I understand kowope but at the same time ninon lowo wafun nile aye yi grin

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:10pm On May 27, 2016
Hmmmm....tasty

Though not sure why it's not staggered.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 7:23pm On May 27, 2016
EgunMogaji:
Hmmmm....tasty

double wall?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:30pm On May 27, 2016
twinskenny:
double wall?

The shell of the safe room.

The very "war room" of the compound.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by johnson232: 7:31pm On May 27, 2016
EgunMogaji:
Hmmmm....tasty

of what essence is the double wall on the german floor?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:54pm On May 27, 2016
What I hope this space will look like as it matures.

How expensive are those stones at home?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 10:10pm On May 27, 2016
EgunMogaji:

In my opinion,

1) sloppy is not the only thing that saves money, it's the height of the kingpost. For example my king post was actually drawn to be 2.5 blocks high, but my carpenter took it on his own to do 5 blocks high.

The lower the kingpost the less overall material that you use hence lower cost.

I never considered any other roof type for the accessory building so I never compared the cost.

2) for the main house, it will be cross hipped roof and my carpenter has done me in now because the slope between both structures must be uniform. So I'll be having a 5 block kingpost.

My recommendation is as follows.

Unless you're building a rental, on your residence please be true to the style that you want.

Go on Houzz.Com and look at various designs and choose one that'll make your chest swell with pride as you come up the driveway.

I understand kowope but at the same time ninon lowo wafun nile aye yi grin
well said baba cool

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 11:02am On May 28, 2016
mufutau55:

Many people just go for the design they like... you can't be thinking about wood only..
But I think it all depends on the type of aluminum you intend to use too.. wood carcass varies for Longspan, Steptiles and Metcoppo,
but Steptiles and Metcoppo are more similar in wood usage. Also Flat roof tend to consume less woof and aluminium but not many
houses you can use this style. Next is HIP styles that may also consume less wood. The height of your Kinpost will also affect the wood quantity.
I am staying at about 16ft or 5m for any of my project's King Post. The photo I posted earlier was 16ft King Post.

Hajji M.

@Selade

With those diagrams/pictures, l think Hajj M has nailed it completely.
A Picture, they say, is more than a thousand words.

The only thing you need to do is take "pen and paper" and do some "mathematics" (if you dont mind),
using Pythagoras theorem (C^2 = A^2 + B^2)
where C is the rafter side of any chosen triangle within the roof, A and B are the other two sides

or you can also use that acronym we use in Secondary school days: SOH-CAH-TOA.

where S= Sine of Angle x°, C = Cosine and T = Tangent.

With these two equations, you can calculate all you need concerning wood and Aluminium cover.

My Take:

*Roof can beautify a house in unquantifiable ways!

*Choice of roof-shape is also determined by the Shape of your building

*The higher the King Pole, the costlier your roof will get.... but High Roof wont rust/leak easily as they dont retain water or debris, easily.

Lastpage!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 1:30pm On May 28, 2016
I still need to ask why people spend foolishly all in the name of class. 45million on a bed that won't assure u if you will wake up tomorrow. When they die, their prodigal son will sell it to abokii cheap just to get money to enjoy his life. It's not my money but it's crazy spending 45m on a bed angry

Kowope grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AZUH: 2:26pm On May 28, 2016
@agarawu you know the difference between this bed and that your mouka foam you are using ? (1) winch or wizard will not come and press you when you are sleeping " (2) when you sleep on this bed . Nothing like bad dream . You will see someone pursuing you in your dream . How ? Not on this type of bed . (3) if you touch your wife on this bed she is will give birth to models 'not people like obasanjo and oshomole . Now you know . Villiage boy

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 2:36pm On May 28, 2016
AZUH:
@agarawu you know the difference between this bed and that your mouka foam you are using ? (1) winch or wizard will not come and press you when you are sleeping " (2) when you sleep on this bed . Nothing like bad dream . You will see someone pursuing you in your dream . How ? Not on this type of bed . (3) if you touch your wife on this bed she is will give birth to models 'not people like obasanjo and oshomole . Now you know . Villiage boy

AZUH...Now I have come to appreciate your jokes.
After all the wahala people gave you on this thread, you still have sense of humour. I like you. Keep it up.

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 2:41pm On May 28, 2016
AZUH:

This man you can lie... .. Are you some how related to Lai Mohammed, the kind lie wey you dey talk here na God o

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 3:26pm On May 28, 2016
AZUH:
lmao

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Onuokwu: 3:41pm On May 28, 2016
mufutau55:

AZUH...Now I have come to appreciate your jokes.
After all the wahala people gave you on this thread, you still have sense of humour. I like you. Keep it up.

Hajji M.

Hajji M...Na Azuh day give people wahala o. No be we day give am. grin grin grin. Just to keep the records straight.

Now i am waiting for the riposte from agarawu....dat is if him neva give up on Azuh.

Who take my popcorn and pepsi?!

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 5:18pm On May 28, 2016
AZUH:
grin grin grin
You this man eh!
I just dey laugh.
No be only model na moderm.

Check histories, kids that were born on the mat/floor are great today. Na The sleep wey him go sleep for the 45m bed i go sleep for my 20k mouka foam. Na make God wake both of us.

How far on your site? You arent updating us anymore.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 5:19pm On May 28, 2016
Onuokwu:

Hajji M...Na Azuh day give people wahala o. No be we day give am. grin grin grin. Just to keep the records straight.

Now i am waiting for the riposte from agarawu....dat is if him neva give up on Azuh.

I can't give up on him, he is my role model grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 7:53pm On May 28, 2016
I have only 2 pages left on my book grin grin
In other news, how many of us are watching the Europa finals tonight? grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 8:41pm On May 28, 2016
erico2k2:
I have only 2 pages left on my book grin grin
In other news, how many of us are watching the Europa finals tonight? grin grin

Two boring Spanish teams... I am better off with my so fifa 16

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 9:08pm On May 28, 2016
abdulwastecx:

ahaha
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 9:58pm On May 28, 2016
Onuokwu:

LOL! I can't make the guy feel bad any more than he already felt. smiley
At least he eventually get adjusted... some have not even adjusted since their inception here... I no go list names o!

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 11:20pm On May 28, 2016
abdulwastecx:

Absolutely boring, both C. Ronaldo and Bale were almost sleeping on their feet grin grin

If I am am FIFA, I will seize the cup from Real Madrid and reschedule this match till next month grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 11:24pm On May 28, 2016
AZUH:

Plus, there is an ATM machine attached by the side of the bed and the cash no dey finish cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 11:30pm On May 28, 2016
lastpage:

@Selade

With those diagrams/pictures, l think Hajj M has nailed it completely.
A Picture, they say, is more than a thousand words.

The only thing you need to do is take "pen and paper" and do some "mathematics" (if you dont mind),
using Pythagoras theorem (C^2 = A^2 + B^2)
where C is the rafter side of any chosen triangle within the roof, A and B are the other two sides

or you can also use that acronym we use in Secondary school days: SOH-CAH-TOA.

where S= Sine of Angle x°, C = Cosine and T = Tangent.

With these two equations, you can calculate all you need concerning wood and Aluminium cover.

My Take:

*Roof cab beautify a house in unquantifiable ways!

*Choice of roof-shape is also determined by the Shape of your building

*The higher the King Pole, the costlier your roof will get.... but High Roof wont rust/leak easily as they dont retain water or debris, easily.

Lastpage!

Oga lastpage another advantage is that people from the next village can see my roof from three kilometres away (happy weekend everyone)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 12:01am On May 29, 2016
EgunMogaji:

The shell of the safe room.

The very "war room" of the compound.

I thought you would use reinforced concrete to give it's walls strength against impending attacks.. or they should fill the hollows with mass concrete
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:58am On May 29, 2016
KolaShangOne:

I thought you would use reinforced concrete to give it's walls strength against impending attacks.. or they should fill the hollows with mass concrete

Good observations Sir.

It's a mid strength safe room (I no be polithiefcian like Mr. Agarawu would say grin ) I toyed with the idea of the having steel plates in between the blocks but the price of the required steel in Nigeria was eye popping shocked But the roof will still have a steel plate though (more cost effective than concrete pillars and decking by my layman calculations).

So a weak mixture of cement as we climb might be all we'll do, but I'm still doing research yet.

Thanks Sir.

I like what you're doing with Mr. Australias house in Ifo (a complete and beautiful transformation), I wish I can afford you one day. It didn't go unnoticed that you labelled my quote as "chicken coop in elebu" my wife and I had a good laugh and we appreciate your humour Sir.

PS: The other advantage I'm hoping for is concealment of the existence.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:57am On May 29, 2016
EgunMogaji:

I like what you're doing with Mr. Australias house in Ifo (a complete and beautiful transformation).

I am very, very impressed too.

@KolaShangone

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:14am On May 29, 2016
My Legendary Teacher remembered. We all know Mr. Trumpcoat. (The Paint Master)
Wherever you are Mr. Trumpcoat, I surely missed your paint postings.

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:02am On May 29, 2016
Happy Sunday!

Roofing Woods - who's heard of "mighty mighty" wood? Who's heard of "18' and 14' long" wood? Planed and perfectly sized.

So many building materials don't easily get my pass mark even the ones with the best marketing words. I know what I wanted and what it should look like.
I was in Ijebu and Ore over the weekend and had time to visit the timber markets around to get some quality roofing woods.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by back2sender: 7:19am On May 29, 2016
[quote author=n3xt post=46069898]Happy Sunday!

Roofing Woods - who's heard of "mighty mighty" wood? Who's heard of "18' and 14' long" wood? Planed and perfectly sized.

So many building materials don't easily get my pass mark even the ones with the best marketing words. I know what I wanted and what it should look like.
I was in Ijebu and Ore over the weekend and had time to visit the timber markets around to get some quality roofing woods.

Whats the timber market location in ijebu and ore? Is there any major land mark close to this timber market. Thank you
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 8:03am On May 29, 2016
spyder880:

Oga lastpage another advantage is that people from the next village can see my roof from three kilometres away (happy weekend everyone)

Actually, that is the REAL advantage,..... all those ones l listed are just for 'textbook' discussions! grin grin

I hail Sir!

Lastpage!

(1) (2) (3) ... (273) (274) (275) (276) (277) (278) (279) ... (3671) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: mythy70(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.