Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,224 members, 7,818,765 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:20 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2783) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4397870 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2780) (2781) (2782) (2783) (2784) (2785) (2786) ... (3668) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by finest0007(m): 4:53pm On Feb 16, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

For living room this are examples of what I've been searching for. However Nigerian Carpenters have gone lazy and prefer to make all these easy to manufacture Babalawo huge sofas instead.

This Instagram page may have what you need

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXMJsXCh1En/?utm_medium=copy_link

Or this guy

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZzdQbuM0tz/?utm_medium=copy_link

Or this

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTrFIBUjaWn/?utm_medium=copy_link

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by capetownboyz(m): 5:11pm On Feb 16, 2022
Abudu2000:
is kind of sad that we ourselves who should come together to criticize the govt we are making the govt plan of dividing us to work for them. This is exactly what the govt want, to put suffering into the youths then make them blame each other. In my area for 2weeks now no light, since a week now fuel scarcity. My younger bro was showing me something about making money on TikTok very brilliant idea but how can that happen if no electricity to even power your phone, and yet one is saying the youths can't work. Prior to buhari rigime things wasn't this bad. I know some youths then who swon never to do fraud but this buhari rigime pushed them into something worse than fraud.
Now we have 15-17 yo killing girls for rituals, see what hardship has pushed the youths into. The other day one was caught and he said he sold human head for 7k , only 7k! Killing someone for 7k and doing a 30k job which is easier? You know this prop section is filled with some men kind men who never go under the sun for anything. Talking about proverty here even come as shock to some here because they were from a rich background.

The hardest yoke to break is proverty. If u hear someone say his family is poor and he broke the chain by himself it's pure lie. Proverty takes generations to break from.

May we not find ourselves in situations where we feel we have no other choice than crime.
Amen ..well said
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Godisgreatest1: 5:15pm On Feb 16, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

For living room this are examples of what I've been searching for. However Nigerian Carpenters have gone lazy and prefer to make all these easy to manufacture Babalawo huge sofas instead.

I am 98% sure you won't find this in Nigeria. The first reason is because carpenters in Nigeria believe in 'the larger the better'..the second is that they 'love' to copy each other despite the obvious fact that the designs are boring.

I saw a 1 seater sofa that can occupy my entire living room!. Such furniture's are a waste of space and will eventually become habitats for rodents and pests.

I don't know if my choices are weird, because I have been searching for a perfect dinning table set since early 2021?. All I see is marble and more marbles.

Just ask any Nigerian carpenter to show you his samples then you will clearly see their deficiencies, both in terms of imagination and creativity.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 5:29pm On Feb 16, 2022
Godisgreatest1:

I am 98% sure you won't find this in Nigeria. The first reason is because carpenters in Nigeria believe in 'the larger the better'..the second is that they 'love' to copy each other despite the obvious fact that the designs are boring.

I saw a 1 seater sofa that can occupy my entire living room!. Such furniture's are a waste of space and will eventually become habitats for rodents and pests.

I don't know if my choices are weird, because I have been searching for a perfect dinning table set since early 2021?. All I see is marble and more marbles.

Just ask any Nigerian carpenter to show you his samples then you will clearly see their deficiencies, both in terms of imagination and creativity.
how many people want minimalistic designs in Nigeria. You folks in this thread are somewhat living outside of reality seriously.

You guys have been berating Nigeria artisans for a few days now. If you think what we're doing is easy, kindly do it. The reason designs are repeated is because that's what our society wants. We want it big or nothing.

Being an artisan in Nigeria is very very difficult. You want to do something different whereas you don't know how the market will accept it and it's not like you have the funds to test new waters. Getting tools is very very expensive and even when you manage to get it, they will still compare your prices with what others are charging thereby demoralizing you.

What is the purchasing power of Nigerians. How many people can afford treated hardwood. The few who could simply would import it from Dubai.

Biko, if you don't want the artisans are currently making, take your own design and give them to make for you or you can simply import same.

8 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 5:50pm On Feb 16, 2022

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by inze(m): 5:59pm On Feb 16, 2022
michlins:
how many people want minimalistic designs in Nigeria. You folks in this thread are somewhat living outside of reality seriously.

You guys have been berating Nigeria artisans for a few days now. If you think what we're doing is easy, kindly do it. The reason designs are repeated is because that's what our society wants. We want it big or nothing.

Being an artisan in Nigeria is very very difficult. You want to do something different whereas you don't know how the market will accept it and it's not like you have the funds to test new waters. Getting tools is very very expensive and even when you manage to get it, they will still compare your prices with what others are charging thereby demoralizing you.

What is the purchasing power of Nigerians. How many people can afford treated hardwood. The few who could simply would import it from Dubai.

Biko, if you don't want the artisans are currently making, take your own design and give them to make for you or you can simply import same.

. . . Who provoke michlins this lovely evening grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by MulticolourDeco(f): 6:07pm On Feb 16, 2022
TOPIC- Flowers and It's Beautiful pattern Evolution

Today I will be talking more on artificial flowers and its design evolutions. I love flowers and I love beautiful prints of flowers. The are alot of interior items made from beautiful flower prints, craft, embodiments, patterns etc. They come out classy, colourful and beautiful when well used and combined. I love flowers and its design options and It's amazing when it's the rightly combined in Interior Designs. Not all interiors requires flowers in its design, but if your interior requires it then used it gorgeously. Roses, Lillie's, sunflower are some of my favourite flowers because they are so pretty. I got these two toy storage boxes for my daughters room. It's beautiful with white and pink rose print. Just those alone in her room makes the room look so pretty. Continue Reading on www.kemimulticolour..com/2022/02/flower-and-its-beautiful-pattern.html?m=1

www.kemimulticolour. .com

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bolu1986(m): 6:20pm On Feb 16, 2022
michlins:

Ogami,

Well said but there is market for everyone...

Was on a site sometimes last year where the tiler minimum charges was 2300 per SQM labour only!! Anything less he wont do it.. you know he has the tools.. and he pay his labourer premium fees..

You just have to identify your own market and stick by it

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 6:24pm On Feb 16, 2022
bolu1986:

Ogami,

Was on a site sometimes last year where the tiler minimum charges was 2300 per SQM labour only!! Anything less he wont do it.. you know he has the tools.. and he pay his labourer premium fees..

Exactly. And no one is berating anyone. If the hat fits wear it or STFU.

It titillates me that I’m not the only one that demands quality and can pay for it.

The issue is they can’t even copy correctly. Copy o, not even original.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 6:27pm On Feb 16, 2022
Godisgreatest1:

I’ll keep searching though, I don’t have to create everything.

One company that I contacted hasn’t contacted me back in 3 days but I’m hopeful.

I just want what I want regardless of whose unrelated Ox is gored.

Hajji actually setup this thread for this purpose and not the stupid amateur sales thread.

We can talk about these things.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 6:30pm On Feb 16, 2022
Good furniture are not cheap.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 6:34pm On Feb 16, 2022
I wanted to buy some chairs from vava earlier this year, my wife discouraged me due to the cost and said we should build one instead.

We checked various furniture makers, they are mostly displaying their jobs on major highways Lagos-Abeokuta express way etc.

We decided to try out one of those guys displaying good looking chairs.

I gave him specifics, down to using 100% fibre for the covering, do you know that 1 week into delivery (After delaying by 5 days), the arms of at least 2 of the seaters started shaking?

Called him several times to come fix these issues, he kept giving excuses until I stopped calling him.

He even used the wrong color and wanted more money to have the fabrics changed to the color I chose.

There are things I wont be allowing Nigerian artisans handle for me, it's just getting out of hand. Almost all the furniture makers I have patronized for the past 5 years disappointed me one way or the other.

I don't know why this is so, is that that perfection is no longer a yardstick?

Artisans no longer want to stand out or what exactly is happening?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 6:45pm On Feb 16, 2022
bolu1986:

Ogami,

by comparism, how many people wants the minimalistic designs. How many people can afford it.

Answer those questions and you will know why it's difficult to make. Few days ago, people here were talking about how difficult it's to access straight woods. It's not just that it's expensive, you really have to search for it very hard to get. After searching for treated woods for weeks or months and working on a project for months. You charge 2ml for a set of chairs and they will remind you that it's more expensive than imported woods.

Please, it's not easy doing what artisans do in Nigeria but I don't expect you guys to understand it cause it's easier to point out errors from the comfort of the keyboard. And everyone can become creative after browsing through Pinterest

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 6:45pm On Feb 16, 2022
sonnie10:
Good furniture are not cheap. Bought this set of Bellini for $12k in 2005. Still firm and no scratch till date
how many people in Nigeria and this thread can pay such amount for a set of chairs

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 6:49pm On Feb 16, 2022
somehow:
I wanted to buy some chairs from vava earlier this year, my wife discouraged me due to the cost and said we should build one instead.

We checked various furniture makers, they are mostly displaying their jobs on major highways Lagos-Abeokuta express way etc.

I gave him specifics, down to using 100% fibre for the covering, do you know that 1 week into delivery (After delaying by 5 days), the arms of at least 2 of the seaters started shaking?

Called him several times to come fix these issues, he kept giving excuses until I stopped calling him.

He even used the wrong color and wanted more money to have the fabrics changed to the color I chose.

There are things I wont be allowing Nigerian artisans handle for me, it's just getting out of hand. Almost all the furniture makers I have patronized for the past 5 years disappointed me one way or the other.

sir, it's sad what happened to you but like every business dealings including the ones done here,caveats are included.

Recently, the best way to contract a job is through recommendations.

Trust but verify
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 6:54pm On Feb 16, 2022
michlins:
sir, it's sad what happened to you but like every business dealings including the ones done here,caveats are included.

Recently, the best way to contract a job is through recommendations.

Trust but verify

When it comes to items like furniture, recommendation isn't everything due to the difference in taste.

What is even annoying is the fact that what they display is always good looking compared to what they end up building for you. I then wonder who built the displayed ones.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 6:55pm On Feb 16, 2022
michlins:
how many people in Nigeria and this thread can pay such amount for a set of chairs
Because of the argument here, out of curiosity I just googled to check how much the current price of Bellini set of leather furniture is, you won’t believe what I found.
The least one now is about $40k.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Focusmind: 7:00pm On Feb 16, 2022
somehow:

It is the Nigerian ways of doing things. No attention to details. The "Oga, leave am like that"mentality. Na so we dey do am here.

I am shocked that Michlin could see someone's demand for good workmanship as an attack on Nigerian artisans while he had earlier made comments about how the Beninoise had taken over the plastering business from Nigerians because of poor workmanship.

I can't go below my taste. I will pay you money and demand thorough workmanship. There is nothing like "Nigeria is a difficult place". Every body is facing the same difficulty in his or her trade. That should not be a reason to compromise on quality.

Give them sample of what you want, some would still deliver below standards. Sometimes, it's not about having the correct tools. It's about concentration and cheer determination to deliver first class work.

Michlin, please allow people that demands professionalism to be. Once you have established taste for class, you wouldn't want to go below it.

Somehow, sorry I used your quote to digress.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 7:00pm On Feb 16, 2022
somehow:

And imagine that some don’t want us to talk about this?

I join you in asking what is happening.

It’s Vava that wants a stupid deposit from me before stocking a regular sale item. It’s stupendous.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 7:02pm On Feb 16, 2022
[quote author=somehow post=110284889]

When it comes to items like furniture, recommendation isn't everything due to the difference in taste.

What is even annoying is the fact that what they display is always good looking compared to what they end up building for you. I then wonder who built the displayed ones. [/quote

I even offered to pay Vava in dollars o. We’re talking about a measly sofa of N900,00 plus other stuff.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 7:03pm On Feb 16, 2022
sonnie10:

Because of the argument here, out of curiosity I just googled to check how much the current price of Bellini set of leather furniture is, you won’t believe what I found.

It doesn’t have to be Bellini leather. Kano leather is fine and respected worldwide.

For me it’s not cost but keeping an item in stock for a cash and carry deal,

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 7:05pm On Feb 16, 2022
In case some newbies have missed why this thread was setup in the first instance.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 7:06pm On Feb 16, 2022
somehow:

What is even annoying is the fact that what they display is always good looking compared to what they end up building for you. I then wonder who built the displayed ones.
the samples are done by them. What happens is that there are dubious people who wants to eat today forgetting that they will still go hungry tomorrow.

From your complaints, it's obvious that he used inferior materials to do the job and that's why it started falling apart quite early.

See eh, after your numerous experience with artisans and people, I admire your resolve in still trusting people. You're a good person and I will encourage you to keep being good.
sonnie10:

at $40,000, they'll see it on the internet and expect you to replicate with Nigeria price.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 7:13pm On Feb 16, 2022
We remain your plug to wonderful space creation. (Architectural designs)
Oakgroup.
Checkout our threads for excellent jobs delivered.
https://www.nairaland.com/6961696/another-wonderful-architectural-design
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 7:16pm On Feb 16, 2022
Focusmind:

It is the Nigerian ways of doing things. No attention to details. The "Oga, leave am like that"mentality. Na so we dey do am here.

I am shocked that Michlin could see someone's demand for good workmanship as an attack on Nigerian artisans while he had earlier made comments about how the Beninoise had taken over the plastering business from Nigerians because of poor workmanship.

I can't go below my taste. I will pay you money and demand thorough workmanship. There is nothing like "Nigeria is a difficult place". Every body is facing the same difficulty in his or her trade. That should not be a reason to compromise on quality.

Give them sample of what you want, some would still deliver below standards. Sometimes, it's not about having the correct tools. It's about concentration and cheer determination to deliver first class work.

Michlin, please allow people that demands professionalism to be. Once you have established taste for class, you wouldn't want to go below it.

you can demand professionalism and it's your right. Be ready to pay for it too.

If you see a chair that costs $10,000 and want to replicate it in Nigeria, kindly be willing to pay at least $7,000.

In a working country, there are vocational training schools where you learn all kinds of skills but it's not working in Nigeria. How do you want them to grow without relearning skills as they come. It's not long when our Nigeria engineers stopped using two pillars at the front of a building. No car lives after five years of being maintained by a Nigerian mechanic. If you ask them, they will tell you that Okoro imported inferior parts.

I have been seeing designs on Pinterest and I don't even know how they made it. If you bring such to me, I will tell you that I can't make it.

If anyone here can bring a functional vocational training center in this world, I will gladly attend and I know many artisans will. The lack of such training is the reason people always say "oga that's how we do it". That's because outside of that,he has no other idea as to how to get it done.

I thank God for this thread, I have learnt so much about my work and how to do better than I learnt under my boss. Due the type of people I meet here, I have improved my job tremendously but I still know that the journey isn't even started yet. Hopefully, I will keep learning
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 7:24pm On Feb 16, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

It doesn’t have to be Bellini leather. Kano leather is fine and respected worldwide.

For me it’s not cost but keeping an item in stock for a cash and carry deal,

This information would be of good value to me. I didn't know they still produce leather in Kano. The other day I was trying to rationalize that the lack of interest in the leather production industry in Nigeria is because of the price of Kpomo (cow skin meat) which could even be more expensive than and profitable than doing leather.

Para venture there is nothing like "kano leather" then the only alternative is imported whole cow leather (A piece which is a whole cow. is about $1000) , A set of furniture would require about 8 whole cow leather which is $8000. This is one of the reasons a good furniture would be far more than #2M

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 7:30pm On Feb 16, 2022
sonnie10:

This information would be of good value to me. I didn't they still produce leather in Kano. The other day I was trying to rationalize that the lack of interest in the leather production industry in Nigeria is because of the price of Kpomo (cow skin meat) which could even be more expensive than and profitable than doing leather.

My brother I’ve had to educate myself in the past few months about this issue.

I cannot stress enough that it’s not about money for me.

Vava has a furniture listed on their website for N949,000 and I’m ready to buy with phone out to do transfer but they want me to take the display item that half of the butts in Ibadan has sat on. They refused to bring in a brand new item unless I place a deposit. That’s silly on a regular stock item. iKea would never ask you to do that.

Not you specifically Sir but I’ve learnt that I. Nigeria people are limited to what they are exposed to. They can’t give what they don’t have,

I’ll share the info that I’ve found of Kano leather.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 7:33pm On Feb 16, 2022
That is it.
If they give you a sample of what they want, charge them based on the amount you think can get the job done perfectly.

If what they offer won't do it, decline and move on but no, they will take the money and build you rubbish, yet expect you not to complain.

I am not picking money on the floor.

This lack of accountability is causing a lot in Nigeria, even in Business, alot of defaults here and there when it's time to pay back invested funds.

Focusmind:

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 7:34pm On Feb 16, 2022
We must talk about it. it's annoying. Anytime I look at the chairs I get angry.
EgunMogaji2:

And imagine that some don’t want us to talk about this?

I join you in asking what is happening.

It’s Vava that wants a stupid deposit from me before stocking a regular sale item. It’s stupendous.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jeff68: 7:37pm On Feb 16, 2022
michlins:
the samples are done by them. What happens is that there are dubious people who wants to eat today forgetting that they will still go hungry tomorrow.

From your complaints, it's obvious that he used inferior materials to do the job and that's why it started falling apart quite early.

See eh, after your numerous experience with artisans and people, I admire your resolve in still trusting people. You're a good person and I will encourage you to keep being good. at $40,000, they'll see it on the internet and expect you to replicate with Nigeria price.

My Brother, I think you are missing the point, you are good at what you do and everyone here knows that. But taking up for every Nigerian Artisan is a tall order! Not everyone is as diligent as you or take pride in what they do. Many will cheat you or cheat themselves by offering a bad product. Because many of us live outside Nigeria, we have a certain standard we are use to, and many are willing to pay for it. But the quality must be top notch. Please do not take it as an attack on you or defend anyone but yourself and your work.

ALWAY PROUD OF YOU!

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 7:37pm On Feb 16, 2022
I plan to buy ready-made furniture going forward, but the issue is "will they last" since I ain't sure of the materials used?

[quote author=EgunMogaji2 post=110285144][/quote]

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 7:39pm On Feb 16, 2022
They should stop it, it's annoying. You can't even give your money to artisans again without the fear of wasting it.

michlins:

See eh, after your numerous experience with artisans and people, I admire your resolve in still trusting people. You're a good person and I will encourage you to keep being good. at $40,000, they'll see it on the internet and expect you to replicate with Nigeria price.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2780) (2781) (2782) (2783) (2784) (2785) (2786) ... (3668) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.