Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,831 members, 7,817,431 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:12 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (429) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4390712 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (426) (427) (428) (429) (430) (431) (432) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ottersberger(m): 9:23pm On Jul 24, 2016
KolaShangOne:

I agree. My context is from borehole to tank. His complain is the pressure inside the house.

But then, I have seem where a pressure pump is used in the same context I said earlier. If you go to the housing quarters for P & G staff in Agbara, each house has a pressure pump that is triggered by a sensor anytime an open valve is detected (a tap is opened). Their power is supplied from the factory so they have 24/7 electricity.

Too expensive for a house tho.

He may add to the height of this tank. Should solve the problem.

The highlighted above is not representative of the true situation. I have a pressure pump in my house used primarily to water the trees and shrubs in the compound.

In my situation (Borehole), the pump is programed to maintain a constant 3 Bar pressure or 43.5 PSI. Once that pressure point is attained, it ceases operation until its air tank pressure falls to below 1,5 Bar presure or 21.7 PSI. At that point, it automatically restarts and resumes pumping thus maintaing a constant pressure at the faucets.

The picture below is my setup.

I agree that raising the water tank height will provide some relief in this case though. .

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 9:28pm On Jul 24, 2016
EgunMogaji:

6m = ~20feet
Shower head and fire sprinklers is highest point.
So 20 feet above shower head or 20 feet from ground level?
Thanks Sir.

20 feet from ground level

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:37pm On Jul 24, 2016
abdulwastecx:

You just made remembered pipe network analysis.
Water demand is not a factor that reduce pressure head. Water demand will affect your storage capacity

Water demand in busy morning and evening will always affect water pressure.

One easiest way to find this out is to try and run the bath and kitchen tap and the garden hose simultaneously.

Turning off the kitchen and bath tap; try to fill up a 5 litre gallon from the garden house. It should take 30 seconds to fill up the gallon.

Now, open the kitchen and all bathroom taps and the garden house tap and try to fill up the same 5 litre gallon, you'll observe that it'll take a longer time.

Running multiple taps at the same time is synonymous to having a leak in your pipe network. The leak will reduce the flow rate just as the opened taps.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:54pm On Jul 24, 2016
"A Viega parallel system provides the lowest pressure and temperature fluctuations in a plumbing system. Since each tubing line is dedicated to an individual fixture, interference between fixtures is eliminated. Additionally, specific fixtures can be supplied by smaller diameter tubing depending on the actual amount of water needed.

For this type of installation, Viega offers the revolutionary MANABLOC parallel water distribution system, incorporating ViegaPEX tubing and Viega PureFlow PEX Press or PEX Crimp fittings. The Viega MANABLOC system provides a central location to control all plumbing lines and helps homeowners save energy costs and reduce water waste."

http://www.viega.us/4741.htm
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 9:59pm On Jul 24, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Yes similar. We call it PEX over here.

Henco pipe don't really need elbow and we normally use bending spring to the pipe. There are a lot of pex accessories in nigeria now. We have pex flexible connector, pex angle valve etc
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ice4u999(m): 11:14pm On Jul 24, 2016
allCopacetic:

Such very poor perspective and misguided misconception is something that literally bleeds my heart. I neva see country like Naija .
When i look at many high budget buildings here and see the type of pipes and piping accessories utilized in the conduiting especially lighting and knockout boxes, I just shake my head and sigh .
The problem with us as a people is that..as long as the effects of a choice or an action are not immediately or short-term visible, then it can sail.
And we wonder why standards are falling everyday

Truth be told no man building a house (something i for one consider a huge investment) would want to go with choices that he or she knows will fail. All lot of people in Nigeria have no clue what standards are (to be honest). The only reason i know is because of my current position and location. When most people in Nigeria talk about piping it is like "abeg plumber by me 1" rubber pipe."

For those overseas you can tell that for every stage of a house a city inspector will always come by to inspect your built and materials before progressing to the next stage.

Not until we have government agency that are ready to work and enforce these standards and possibly educate more people, we will continue to see these and local manufacturing companies cutting corners to make profit.

Thanks

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 11:18pm On Jul 24, 2016
abdulwastecx:

You just made remembered pipe network analysis.
Water demand is not a factor that reduce pressure head. Water demand will affect your storage capacity

Max water demand is the single greatest factor considered in pipe design (as well as in almost every other application sizing, the max demand is given the greatest consideration) .
Check Darcy–Weisbach equation.
Infact Serghide Explicit Equation or the Swamee-Jan equations is used in determining optimal (cost/benefit) pipe diameter for max flowrate to prevent excessive pd.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:25pm On Jul 24, 2016
topsy23:

Henco pipe don't really need elbow and we normally use bending spring to the pipe. There are a lot of pex accessories in nigeria now. We have pex flexible connector, pex angle valve etc

Excellent. I'm only bringing the pipes (N5 / foot), manifold (not sure if available in Nigeria but prefer US quality versus UK quality) and outlets (want uniqueness that is uncommon) from here. The other small stuff will come from Nigeria as well as the plumber that will bang it all together under my direction.

Edit:

I only saw 180 degree bending spring, does this mean that you can bend it to any angle that you want?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ice4u999(m): 11:57pm On Jul 24, 2016
House,

please what is the standard rate bricklayers charge per blocks erected in Lagos (Ibeju-lekki, epe and lekki area)?

also i have a carpenter coming to setup wooden frame for pillars casting for fence, i just want to know how much carpenters would normally charge per one wooden frame or box for pillars?

Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 3strikes: 2:15am On Jul 25, 2016
Am glad to see that Sanity is restored on this thread...And it seems to be serving is purpose now.Great!

I will be quiet for now until I smell fraud again......lets continue to learn...all these good info are coming in handy.

3strikes!!!

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:36am On Jul 25, 2016
ice4u999:

Truth be told no man building a house (something i for one consider a huge investment) would want to go with choices that he or she knows will fail. All lot of people in Nigeria have no clue what standards are (to be honest). The only reason i know is because of my current position and location. When most people in Nigeria talk about piping it is like "abeg plumber by me 1" rubber pipe."

For those overseas you can tell that for every stage of a house a city inspector will always come by to inspect your built and materials before progressing to the next stage.

Not until we have government agency that are ready to work and enforce these standards and possibly educate more people, we will continue to see these and local manufacturing companies cutting corners to make profit.

Thanks

It's easier for a camel to pass through a needle hole than for the bolded part above to happen in Nigeria.

The little things that matters are always the hardest thing to do here.

In developed countries where things work, houses are built to design codes but in Naija, our houses are built to "what-me-think-is-fair?"
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by battleaxe: 4:26am On Jul 25, 2016
When you resource and pay supposed professionals on your job, the expectation is that they know what they're doing.... I always do a triple, quadruple check on their calculations and drawings but sometimes you have to just trust their judgement.

I would love to be able to report some professionals after their supposed designs fail after handing over the house, but alas!

I for one am just hearing about the inherent lapses in using PVC pipes. I would have thought if used properly, for small pressure applications as may be seen in residential houses, that it shouldn't be an issue.

Pls lets keep up this discussion. It will certainly help me and others either now or for future builds.

Thanks all.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 5:17am On Jul 25, 2016
EgunMogaji:

6m = ~20feet

Shower head and fire sprinklers is highest point.

So 20 feet above shower head or 20 feet from ground level?

Thanks Sir.

20ft above ground

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 7:31am On Jul 25, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Excellent. I'm only bringing the pipes (N5 / foot), manifold (not sure if available in Nigeria but prefer US quality versus UK quality) and outlets (want uniqueness that is uncommon) from here. The other small stuff will come from Nigeria as well as the plumber that will bang it all together under my direction.

Edit:

I only saw 180 degree bending spring, does this mean that you can bend it to any angle that you want?

Yes boss. You can bend it to any angle you want.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by earthrealm(m): 9:19am On Jul 25, 2016
the present discussion on water pressure issues on duplexes is an interesting topic, in my residence, the tan k is diecly placed on the roof, water pressures to the shower heads is inadequate, the LL installed 1 of those pressure pumps after much complaint from the residents, and it somewhat remedied the problem...albeit not satisfactorily....presently there is what i suspect to be internal leakage, as water is dripping from 1 of the walls outside.....also the main tap outside, once that one is turned on...water supply ceases totally on the first floor of the duplex

going forward, am about commencing my own build, also a duplex, and am worried about how to prevent such an issue from my build.
i also would prefer having the water tan k on the roof...if i can, the 2nd option am considering is making the security houise a 1 storey build and placing the water tan k there.

some plumber said the present practise of first dropping the supply from the tank to the ground first before sending it up again is wrong, that he prefers running the water supplypipes up in the ceiling/last blocks on the roof...and the dropping them down to the shower heads/water taps...ie the bathrooms....
has anyone tried this....what are the pros and cons?

also mny people recommended using 1 '' pipes to serve as supply from the overhead tank, am thinking 2'' should even work better is creating the differential needed for adequate flow,... am i right in this assumption?
i detest those pressure pumps, and i would want to totally avoid it in my build.

nice thread btw, hv been on ghost mode for a while
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by tevanso(m): 9:20am On Jul 25, 2016
battleaxe:

Just regular PVC pipes.

@Kola, you're right. It's 1 inch.

The height of the tank would not make a difference in this case since the plumber still dropped the feeder pipe to the bottom before distributing.

I still need ideas from people who don't have this issue in their builds- how did you resolve it?
the slope of the pipe or the connection might be thw cause ,call ur plumber to investigate it from the source of supply to the connection joint
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 9:43am On Jul 25, 2016
Great to see that the thread is serving its true purpose.

On the subject of water flow, I want to have a dedicated tank so supply compound taps which are usually plastered into the wall and would typically have a zenos tap, here is my question I do not want to raise the tank higher than necessary, lets assume that the tap is currently at 3 feet above current ground level, at what height should the tank be ? , how many foot/inches should it be higher than the tap to maintain good pressure, the distance is also going to span about 40 metres to the other end of the building.

NB: Bosun/Brabus, check your phone pls. Today is the 25th of July.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 9:54am On Jul 25, 2016
earthrealm:
the present discussion on water pressure issues on duplexes is an interesting topic, in my residence, the tan k is diecly placed on the roof, water pressures to the shower heads is inadequate, the LL installed 1 of those pressure pumps after much complaint from the residents, and it somewhat remedied the problem...albeit not satisfactorily....presently there is what i suspect to be internal leakage, as water is dripping from 1 of the walls outside.....also the main tap outside, once that one is turned on...water supply ceases totally on the first floor of the duplex

going forward, am about commencing my own build, also a duplex, and am worried about how to prevent such an issue from my build.
i also would prefer having the water tan k on the roof...if i can, the 2nd option am considering is making the security houise a 1 storey build and placing the water tan k there.

some plumber said the present practise of first dropping the supply from the tank to the ground first before sending it up again is wrong, that he prefers running the water supplypipes up in the ceiling/last blocks on the roof...and the dropping them down to the shower heads/water taps...ie the bathrooms....

also mny people recommended using 1 '' pipes to serve as supply from the overhead tank, am thinking 2'' should even work better is creating the differential needed for adequate flow,... am i right in this assumption?
i detest those pressure pumps, and i would want to totally avoid it in my build.

Having the water tank on the roof is also a good idea. All the water supply pipes to the first floor toilet will be run inside the ceiling void. The pressure would be far more better than having it on the gate house. If you place your water tank on the gate house....hmmmm......I doubt if first toilet will have water because there is no way your gate house will be be higher than duplex
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 9:59am On Jul 25, 2016
I had a similar dilemma, and instead went for the option of a tank tower at a considerable cost. I thought long and hard about it, and below are the factors.

# The water tank is extra weight, has this been factored into your structural drawings and provisions made ?
# I hear that when the water overfills, it can sometimes stain the paint work, I like low maintenance and I try as much as possible to factor that into a build.
# You know as good as water is, it can be quite destructive if not well controlled. So you would not want this damaging your building, leaks/overflow etc.
# Even if you put it over your roof, you will need it higher to serve the upstairs showers if you have one, if you have taps in the bathroom you will be Ok, I have both so that if pressure is not good, tap is the backup plan.
# Most of the roof designers back home are funny, they design the outlet for the tanks, but you find that when it rains, water is coming through there as its usually not well sealed, thus damaging your pop/pvc/roof wood, we had this in one of the builds that our favorite NL engineer did for us, what was himself and his architect thinking ?

The tank tower if well constructed gives you a few options, you can have 2/3 tanks at the top level etc. Mine has 2 levels serving different parts of the building.

I also share your concern about running the pipes downwards as well, that is how my current water flow has been done, the supply pipe comes down first, but I wonder if going upwards first and then coming down would have been a better idea (I dont know as i am not a plumber). I also asked if a 50 mm pipe can be used for the supply but I don't think this was done, i suspect its a 32mm but the pressure is good sha. However it has not been tested in anger, which will be the moment of truth (Open a lot of taps at the same time).

As per the pressure machine, I currently have this system in my nija house where I reside, personally I do not like it but for the sake of having the feel of a power shower, thats my only option. I will not also sanction the installation in a tenant house as I just see it breaking down very often, the fact that you also need electricity to run it 24/7 means its just flawed in my opinion, I also detest the fact that if a tenant leaves a tap open or not well closed, the pump is working 24/7, most of those pumps are air cooled which is not the latest and most effective design, the best is water cooled, so they could be working 24/7 and we wonder why the coils end up burning.

earthrealm:

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 10:21am On Jul 25, 2016
earthrealm:

Sometime back on this thread we tried to discourage Agarawu from placing the tank on top of a building for good reason. You can read up on that. But if you must, then the top of the tank has to be on same level with the roof kingpost which would make the tank conspicuous.

Regarding your plumber's recommendations, I think it wouldn't be visually appealing, (same reason people dropdown and tunnel the utility power lines from the last pole via underground to their meter). Also rain will want to follow the piping to ur wall/ceiling. (Assuming the tank is not on top of the building. )

As per piping going down then up again, as long as you have minimum (ie 2, max 3) elbows, the drop will be insignificant

Finally by using 2" supply (feeder) line then reducing it closer to the consumer you create a venturri effect which improves flow

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Naniakay1: 2:16pm On Jul 25, 2016
Hello Lovely Builders, I appreciate your wonderful work and insightful contributions on this thread. Could someone assist with the cost of decking my 4 bedroom duplex please? Below are the ground and first floor designs;
The building area is 245.93sqm. Thanks in advance.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 2:31pm On Jul 25, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Edit:

Baba U are dising our pipes again abi angry
Ok go quench Una fire with una supirior pipes. grin grin
I heard wild fire Don burst again.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:36pm On Jul 25, 2016
erico2k2:

Baba U are dising our pipes again abi angry
Our go quench Una fire with una supirior pipes. grin grin
I heard wild fire Don burst again.

Never can US diss UK, we recognize our old colonial masters grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 4:48pm On Jul 25, 2016
battleaxe:

Just regular PVC pipes.

@Kola, you're right. It's 1 inch.

The height of the tank would not make a difference in this case since the plumber still dropped the feeder pipe to the bottom before distributing.

I still need ideas from people who don't have this issue in their builds- how did you resolve it?

The height will. Hydrostatic pressure.
Now that you know 1" pipe was used for supply, check that ¾ or ½ pipes were used for distribution.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 5:02pm On Jul 25, 2016
44chux:

Sometime back on this thread we tried to discourage Agarawu from placing the tank on top of a building for good reason. You can read up on that. But if you must, then the top of the tank has to be on same level with the roof kingpost which would make the tank conspicuous.

Regarding your plumber's recommendations, I think it wouldn't be visually appealing, (same reason people dropdown and tunnel the utility power lines from the last pole via underground to their meter). Also rain will want to follow the piping to ur wall/ceiling. (Assuming the tank is not on top of the building. )

As per piping going down then up again, as long as you have minimum (ie 2, max 3) elbows, the drop will be insignificant

Finally by using 2" supply (feeder) line then reducing it closer to the consumer you create a venturri effect which improves flow

Funny thing is that the Venturi principle tends to indicate that there is a reduced pressure at the intersection accompanied by a higher fluid velocity. So when water gushes out, it's more of a reduced pressure, high velocity than increased pressure, increased velocity. The Venturi principle is what the technique of reducing Cross-sectional area to improve flow is based on.

This will bring the question "are you saying pressure is inversely proportional to velocity?.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:41pm On Jul 25, 2016
KolaShangOne:

Funny thing is that the Venturi principle tends to indicate that there is a reduced pressure at the intersection accompanied by a higher fluid velocity. So when water gushes out, it's more of a reduced pressure, high velocity than increased pressure, increased velocity. The Venturi principle is what the technique of reducing Cross-sectional area to improve flow is based on.

This will bring the question "are you saying pressure is inversely proportional to velocity?.

My eyes glazed right over.

I'm shifting to Car Talk section until Professor Kola calms down and stop throwing physics around grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 6:46pm On Jul 25, 2016
KolaShangOne:

No it's not
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 7:11pm On Jul 25, 2016
ice4u999:

Truth be told no man building a house (something i for one consider a huge investment) would want to go with choices that he or she ... knows ..will fail. A lot of people in Nigeria have no clue what standards are (to be honest).
The functional word being "knows"..... You can do that ignorantly without knowing.

Again,... Knowing for instance, that a fake pvc knockout box can be problematic is one thing.... being able to "rightly " identify or distinguish an original is another. If you're under the unfortunate impression that you have a good quality while infact you don't, your perception of standard is misguided.

With the usual mentality of "e go work".... "na the same thing" .....and our penchant for always leaning towards the cheaper offering without "adequately" doing the needed research and due diligence, why would your average importer or manufacturer bother with making or bringing in good quality?? demand dictates supply.
Even those who have been struggling to keep thier quality up are lowering standards in an attempt to try to reduce the price gap between immitations and originals because they're loosing business.

Look at the attached pics for instance. Two knockout boxes that will appear the same to an average buyer. In the absence of the original the fake might pass any day . But when you compare them side by side in hand you'll notice very clear differences, the diff in price is jst abt N30, but the kind of headache and frustration that the fake can give you under certain circumstances.... you'll just write off pvc boxes as a whole.
Many ignorant electricians will quote with these cheap materials and get the job while a few skilled ones with high standards who obviously quote high quality materials continue to loose thier bids.

Truely some folks (including electricians) are deceived by sellers into buying these fakes , but before you grab that cheaper price or run off and jubilate about an excellent bargain make sure to acertain that the items you're comparing prices of are infact the same quality and quantity.

This is just one of many examples,
the earthrods attached for instance are of three different qualities, with same brand name "furse" etched into all three. none of these will attract a magnet if tested with it (these are different from the normal copper coated iron rods) any of the three could pass as or be sold as"original" so the question becomes how do you know which u're ending up with.

Let's not be quick to make price the first priority. First and foremost establish that the items in question are infact the same quality or give the same value before you proceed to compare.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 7:19pm On Jul 25, 2016
FastShipping:

God bless you, oga. I have seen it all here.
It's sad to say the least my oga.
And the funny thing is that as the trend continues, and standards continually decline, the end user remains at the receiving end.
Installer does job and gets paid, seller sells good and gets paid. End user is stuck with his headache

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 9:20pm On Jul 25, 2016
allCopacetic:

The functional word being "knows"..... You can do that ignorantly without knowing.

Again,... Knowing for instance, that a fake pvc knockout box can be problematic is one thing.... being able to "rightly " identify or distinguish an original is another. If you're under the unfortunate impression that you have a good quality while infact you don't, your perception of standard is misguided.

With the usual mentality of "e go work".... "na the same thing" .....and our penchant for always leaning towards the cheaper offering without "adequately" doing the needed research and due diligence, why would your average importer or manufacturer bother with making or bringing in good quality?? demand dictates supply.
Even those who have been struggling to keep thier quality up are lowering standards in an attempt to try to reduce the price gap between immitations and originals because they're loosing business.

Look at the attached pics for instance. Two knockout boxes that will appear the same to an average buyer. In the absence of the original the fake might pass any day . But when you compare them side by side in hand you'll notice very clear differences, the diff in price is jst abt N30, but the kind of headache and frustration that the fake can give you under certain circumstances.... you'll just write off pvc boxes as a whole.
Many ignorant electricians will quote with these cheap materials and get the job while a few skilled ones with high standards who obviously quote high quality materials continue to loose thier bids.

Truely some folks (including electricians) are deceived by sellers into buying these fakes , but before you grab that cheaper price or run off and jubilate about an excellent bargain make sure to acertain that the items you're comparing prices of are infact the same quality and quantity.

This is just one of many examples,
the earthrods attached for instance are of three different qualities, with same brand name "furse" etched into all three. none of these will attract a magnet if tested with it (these are different from the normal copper coated iron rods) any of the three could pass as or be sold as"original" so the question becomes how do you know which u're ending up with.

Let's not be quick to make price the first priority. First and foremost establish that the items in question are infact the same quality or give the same value before you proceed to compare.

Boss thank you for bringing this up. A lot of people don't know. I have given a client list of cables and prices in recent times and he went ahead to buy from a guy simply because his price is cheaper than what I gave him. When he delivered the cable to site I realised that they are all fake cables, iron coated with copper. I rejected the cables and told him to call the supplier. The supplier came and he was trying to bribe me so that I can use the cable. I rejected the money......NEVER Wil I install inferior materials because of money. A lot of fake materials in nigeria market these days.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:58pm On Jul 25, 2016
topsy23:

Boss thank you for bringing this up. A lot of people don't know. I have given a client list of cables and prices in recent times and he went ahead to buy from a guy simply because his price is cheaper than what I gave him. When he delivered the cable to site I realised that they are all fake cables, iron coated with copper. I rejected the cables and told him to call the supplier. The supplier came and he was trying to bribe me so that I can use the cable. I rejected the money......NEVER Wil I install inferior materials because of money. A lot of fake materials in nigeria market these days.

I don't know and frankly I don't want to know because I'm spoilt.

I haven't had to worry about fake or genuine longer than some sellers have been alive. So instead I take my money to where the government and corporate brand assures me of genuine merchandise.

Government is not the problem, it's individual Nigerians that's the problem.

How do we fix it? I let my money speak for me.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 10:14pm On Jul 25, 2016
topsy23:

Its a really sad development , we pay lip service to wanting quality, but turn arnd and put the quality second place when it's time to take decisions.
How exactly did the client ascertain that the supplier was giving him quality materials ?
Imagine if it ws some quack who couldn't tell the difference , the supplier would have succeeded in creating a false impression, making the person who actually gives the price of good materials look like a thief.
I tell people, if electricity is uninterrupted in this country for 6 months straight, half of the houses in Naija will need to be rewired. The effects of many fake electrical materials are not felt yet because we barely have electricity.
Only principle and the good heart of a few importers and sellers still keep our markets afloat. There is little incentive for selling good stuff in Naija.
Keep up the good work

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (426) (427) (428) (429) (430) (431) (432) ... (3667) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: olukaygold(m), Bovijean, topsy23, mythy70(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 146
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.