Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,095 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:18 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (593) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4389739 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (590) (591) (592) (593) (594) (595) (596) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ice4u999(m): 12:34am On Jan 25, 2017
3strikes:
All I want to do this year is to just read and learn..............................I will not be making too many colorful comments with big fonts. grin grin grin

Sorry Fash and thanks for calling the idiot out. Everybody be warned!

Hallelujah

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 3strikes: 1:57am On Jan 25, 2017
Wanted and delinquent ke?

Chekitaut:
Most TRUSTED, TESTED, SKILLFUL, HONEST, WANTED, DELINQUENT... words can not express the GIFT in you. Tuale Avoid Risk(Aventure)
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by fash78(m): 5:02am On Jan 25, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Sorry that this is happening but I want to salute you for being a real man by naming the offender. Some don't.
Thanks EgunMogaji. All I want to do is to make sure this does not happen to anyone again.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by fash78(m): 5:11am On Jan 25, 2017
44chux:

Oga Hajji, this is not your fault. I don't like it when people make those who help them with recommendations feel bad when biz goes sour. One can not mention your name and not expect you to atleast come out with a disclaimer. But i didn't expect to see you do it with this tone!!!

About 45% of genuine artisans who collect lumpsum contracts are in this mess.
Normally they collect your advance and use it for immediate pressing needs. Later they raise funds from other means to complete the project.
The problem this time is that the economy has so contracted, that it takes them forever to raise the funds, by which time the raw materials cost has doubled due to inflation.
The ones with confidence and people management skills come back to you for contract variation while the others run and hide out of confusion.

The more threats of punishment, the further they run.
Just pretend you don't care about harming them but just want to discuss about extra help you can provide to facilitate the execution coz ur time constrained, and they show up miraculously.

Note this is for the artisans that come recommended due to previous completed projects
Mr Man if you don't have anything to say please don't add salt upon injury. Who is telling you I am making Hajji Muftau to feel bad. Hajji is my bros.way back so I am not blaming hin at all. He has introduced at least 2 other people to me (Gbadesky who is handling my paints supplies and painting and Rotech who completed my plumbing piping work) and I had no issues with them. The only reason I mentioned Hajji name is to let people know that this Sove guy is not somebody I randomly gave a job. I gave him the job based on trust Hajji have in him which he has betrayed big time.

Please if you don't know what to say don't comment bro.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by fash78(m): 5:32am On Jan 25, 2017
Chekitaut:
Egbon Fash, If you no call me for house warming we go fight. We have always be together from foundation with no eye contact. Fash Baba i feel u

Egbon Fash who dare you, will feel the power of KOBOKO. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Chekitaut by God's grace we will celebrate together my brother.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 8:02am On Jan 25, 2017
3strikes:
Wanted and delinquent ke?

Oga 3strikes, no bring comotion ooo, am of positive & progressive part... Aventure is the best... Delinquent is an error, ELOQUENT i means, Wanted as MOST PREFERRED.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 8:19am On Jan 25, 2017
lastpage:

Just go for an "unlimited Broadband package" that costs about 10K ($25) per Month.

Chose the "Internet Provider" wisely because some wll give you a service that has a lot of "lagging" in it.
That is not good for video transmission

Lastpage!

The problem with anything wireless is that they are highly vulnerable to spyware hacking. Cellphones and PCs etc have counter-measures, but not home gadgets.
So like everything else, ur trading this for that.
One rule of thumb is, the more affluent u get, the less wireless you should go.

By the way, pls take note that DSS censor high end monitoring devices (like CCTV) entering Nigeria.
It is also an offence if you have CCTV , electric fence, guard dogs, etc without a visible warning sign.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 8:27am On Jan 25, 2017
Kasimeme:
On this issue of artisans misbehaving and being dishonest; I find, as someone who has built twice and is on the third build now - and whose main "ambassadors" when is comes to dealing with workmen is his aged mum and little brother- that building is not near as complicated as we make it on this page. The basics have not changed from what it is from time immemorial, what has changed is the aesthetics. I find that contrary to people's perception that workmen are not adaptable, they can indeed adapt, at least as long as their intellect permits- which I find in most cases is good enough, as long as you do not have the desire to make them do what Skimanski does.

I find also that, it is better if you can find someone local to the workmen to liaise with them as per the costing, if you are in diaspora. Just ensure their are pictorial instructions as to exactly what you want, and ensure your folks have pictures sent to you at each and every step of the build. I am sometimes at home and just listen in when artisans talk to my folks- not knowing I am the person they are actually building for. I instruct on what I want as if I am just chipping in advice. If they knew they are building for someone "in abroad" then the charges skyrocket.

This is not to disparage the policy of calling up artisans and speaking with then directly as a lot of us here do. This is me just- for all it is worth- chipping in with an alternative, which is what I have done and which (touch wood) has helped. I have studied this page silently for years and learnt a lot and it is ideas from here that helped me along the line.

I submit that if you can help not letting artisans know you or your base, it could actually work in your favour, you will save more as they will not overcharge. The caveat though is that you must have someone on ground who knows your taste and will ensure it is carried out to the letter. Ire!

If only u knew how rare an honest "little brother" was, then you would understand why building from diaspora is complicated.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 8:33am On Jan 25, 2017
fash78:

Mr Man if you don't have anything to say please don't add salt upon injury. Who is telling you I am making Hajji Muftau to feel bad. Hajji is my bros.way back so I am not blaming hin at all. He has introduced at least 2 other people to me (Gbadesky who is handling my paints supplies and painting and Rotech who completed my plumbing piping work) and I had no issues with them. The only reason I mentioned Hajji name is to let people know that this Sove guy is not somebody I randomly gave a job. I gave him the job based on trust Hajji have in him which he has betrayed big time.

Please if you don't know what to say don't comment bro.

Thank you for being so civil.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:25am On Jan 25, 2017
44chux:

If only u knew how rare an honest "little brother" was, then you would understand why building from diaspora is complicated.

I totally agree with you. I see the fantastic mess my friend's brothers and sisters made of his build. I do not know what I would do if that was me: making money is a finite thing, we do not have the power and means to work forever.I would raise hell if I realise I am swindled by my blood.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubyventures: 11:04am On Jan 25, 2017
I think the problem we are having here on this forum is that people don't really give a proper review when it comes to Nairaland Artisans.

They either class them as good or bad. Eg for the fact that someone did the job for you doesn't mean that he is good.

Some artisans will delay your project,

They will not make appointments and be fond of giving one excuse or the other.

Collect your deposit, not deliver on the agreed contract and be bugging you for more money.

They will quote for one thing then give you a different thing etc

The will eventually get the work done but the kind of service you get from them will be a bit frustrating.

I think we need to know about these things, people here need to tell us about their experience not just that they are good or trust worthy.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 11:59am On Jan 25, 2017
44chux:

The problem with anything wireless is that they are highly vulnerable to spyware hacking. Cellphones and PCs etc have counter-measures, but not home gadgets.
So like everything else, ur trading this for that.
One rule of thumb is, the more affluent u get, the less wireless you should go.

By the way, pls take note that DSS censor high end monitoring devices (like CCTV) entering Nigeria.
It is also a punishable offence if you have CCTV , electric fence, guard dogs, etc without a visible warning sign.
Stop if its a joke, in Naija when do they make these law?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 12:06pm On Jan 25, 2017
Kasimeme:

I totally agree with you. I see the fantastic mess my friend's brothers and sisters made of his build. I do not know what I would do if that was me: making money is a finite thing, we do not have the power and means to work forever.I would raise hell if I realise I am swindled by my blood.

Do remember to add that to the list of things to be greatful for grin
Its not funny for some...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 12:38pm On Jan 25, 2017
kopell:
Stop if its a joke, in Naija when do they make these law?
My brother I was just joking oohh. grin grin grin
Just like with a lot of 9ja legislation, you wont find it online.

However I read it among the legal requirements for a particular contract shaa. Got to know a lot of other stuff, like u were not allowed to face the camera on another person's property, thirdparty privacy and court admissability issues, etc.

For the camera, my guy was invited ''to come and clarify'' when his Amazon shipment was intercepted. It wasn't funny at all.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 2:25pm On Jan 25, 2017
Gents,

Please help explain me the main purpose of the second bowl in the left corner of the pic

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubyventures: 2:37pm On Jan 25, 2017
The second one is a bidet

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubyventures: 2:39pm On Jan 25, 2017
it is for washing the private parts , mainly used by the middle easterners

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by alist(m): 2:43pm On Jan 25, 2017
44chux:
Gents,

Please help explain me the main purpose of the second bowl in the left corner of the pic
thats a bidet for women to urinate and wash up after.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 2:51pm On Jan 25, 2017
Rubyventures:
The second one is a bidet
alist:
thats a bidet for women to urinate and wash up after.
Thanks. Was only familiar with bidet shower, the type rotech supplies with toilets.

Didn't know we needed such in 9ja.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubyventures: 3:01pm On Jan 25, 2017
44chux:

Thanks. Was only familiar with bidet shower, the type rotech supplies with toilets.

Didn't know we needed such in 9ja.

It is used by mostly Muslims correct me if I'm wrong.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 3:07pm On Jan 25, 2017
Rubyventures:

It is used by mostly Muslims correct me if I'm wrong.

Would make sense that way. And the aged maybe.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:19pm On Jan 25, 2017
44chux:

Do remember to add that to the list of things to be greatful for grin
Its not funny for some...

I do indeed, 44chux, and I show my appreciation to him as well.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jan 25, 2017
44chux:

Would make sense that way. And the aged maybe.

I have not seen it in a standard apartment or house in Europe, it tends to be installed by the rich or in guest houses. I suppose this hand- held ones installed close to the WC in Nigeria serves roughly the same purpose.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jan 25, 2017
I feel very proud.

Carpenter wants N2,000 per 1x12 wood. I needed 18.

Went down to "Iso Pako" at New Garage and got it for N1,500.

Saved N9,000 (about 36 bottles of Star).

Of course this is chump change but goes to show new entrants ways you can extend your budget when you buy your materials.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 3strikes: 3:32pm On Jan 25, 2017
Baba pass me 5 bottles out of the 36...............Make i take dey chill.

Nice one baba....DIY or get fully involve is the way to go.

EgunMogaji:
I feel very proud.

Of course this is chump change but goes to show new entrants ways you can extend your budget when you buy your materials.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 3strikes: 3:34pm On Jan 25, 2017
Chekitaut am just messing with you and am sure you know.......Na joke. you na my person.

Chekitaut:
Oga 3strikes, no bring comotion ooo, am of positive & progressive part... Aventure is the best... Delinquent is an error, ELOQUENT i means, Wanted as MOST PREFERRED.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jan 25, 2017
3strikes:

Baba pass me 5 bottles out of the 36...............Make i take dey chill.

Nice one baba....DIY or get fully involve is the way to go.

Wetin you wan take beer do? You Lagos guys are into Asti Spumante champagne and exotic wines I heard grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 4:02pm On Jan 25, 2017
EgunMogaji:
I feel very proud.

The N9000 premium may be considered as reward for the carpenter's time and effort sourcing the materials. If you consider the opportunity cost of your time and the attendant risk involved like carrying cash about, there may not be money enough for that beer.

Yes it should be encouraged sourcing one's materials, but it should also be encouraged not to sweat the small stuff.

8 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ice4u999(m): 4:10pm On Jan 25, 2017
diordaves:

The N9000 premium may be considered as reward for the carpenter's time and effort sourcing the materials. If you consider the opportunity cost of your time and the attendant risk involved like carrying cash about, there may not be money enough for that beer.

Yes it should be encouraged sourcing one's materials, but it should also be encouraged not to sweat the small stuff.

Small stuffs tends to accumulate into big stuffs N9000 can get one or more bags of nails.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jan 25, 2017
diordaves:

Sweating the small stuff is what I like to do.

I enjoyed my time at the sawmill and increased my knowledge.

You do your project your way, I'll do mine my way.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by back2sender: 4:24pm On Jan 25, 2017
EgunMogaji:
I feel very proud.

Egun the don dada. Nice one!
This was how all the wood Seller in my axis in Ibeju Lekki including my nebors that sell woods were asking mr to pay same. I just begin wonder say ijebu ode no too far from Ibeju Lekki. Thats how i woke up one sunday morning for that matter enter ijebu to gather market info, to cut the long story i got a Seller a woman with a good soul who suppliers me hard wood for N 1150 for 1×12 and i bought 500 pieces to my site.
I mean solid wood complete measurement that i can reuse 3 times and still standing , i have Sent 2 referrals to her and same great woods was sold to them.
Alot of the artisans and sellers lack integrity and LOVE TO CHEAT. this is what Nigeria has been turned into

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jan 25, 2017
ice4u999:

Small stuffs tends to accumulate into big stuffs N9000 can get one or more bags of nails.

That's just to frame 2 gate pillars. Can you imagine the saving on the roof for my main house?

(1) (2) (3) ... (590) (591) (592) (593) (594) (595) (596) ... (3667) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: olaitoro(m), dannie007(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.