Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,045 members, 7,859,749 topics. Date: Thursday, 13 June 2024 at 06:01 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (944) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4497272 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (941) (942) (943) (944) (945) (946) (947) ... (3693) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 2:58pm On Apr 15, 2018
KolaShangOne:

Well.. They are kind of different.

Salt content in these sands differ. The whitish ones tend to have more salt which can attack the concrete and iron rods in your foundation.
Thanks sir...Didn't really know much about the salt content.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 3:38pm On Apr 15, 2018
Barryton:

So it isn't advisable to use white sharp sand for concrete works?
Because i do see big construction companies using it on bridges & i have always preferred it to the red like type because of its fine finish.

Don't get me wrong o.. Not all white sand have high salt content. All those construction companies have a particular mining site and must have analysed properties of their materials including sand and applied possible treatment before using it.

If you prefer the white one, find white one with the properties you need and use it. Aesthetics is also a good reason for preference.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 3:54pm On Apr 15, 2018
anyone in here who does handrail perfectly well? a client need one.. contact me
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by amanikondo: 5:07pm On Apr 15, 2018
3strikes:

Me ke?.....i just missed seeing those pictures of "De Chateau" and other packaging.

Btw...When it comes to packaging, I give it to Brabus.

M

I thought you had retired.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:14pm On Apr 15, 2018
KolaShangOne:

Don't get me wrong o.. Not all white sand have high salt content. All those construction companies have a particular mining site and must have analysed properties of their materials including sand and applied possible treatment before using it.

If you prefer the white one, find white one with the properties you need and use it. Aesthetics is also a good reason for preference.

That’s one of the first things they do.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 5:56pm On Apr 15, 2018
The lekki, ajah one has high salt content.

The odo Ogun is sold around agege,Alimosho, Otta. Abeokuta area,

megacontrol:
So which locations in Lagos dredge the more desirable "Odo Ogun" sharp sand?

Which one is being dredged in Lagos Island around the Ajah, Jakande, Lekki axis?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 5:59pm On Apr 15, 2018
amanikondo:

I thought you had retired.

3strikes keh? Old soldier, no dey die o. smiley

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by scaujumic(m): 7:14pm On Apr 15, 2018
complete your home with good furniture design attached are pictures prices are affordable

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by akinolaolujide(m): 8:15pm On Apr 15, 2018
twinskenny:
anyone in here who does handrail perfectly well? a client need one.. contact me
Stainless stell or wrought iron

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 8:32pm On Apr 15, 2018
akinolaolujide:

Stainless stell or wrought iron
Message me via twinskenny@gmail.com
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 8:51pm On Apr 15, 2018
I think the issue of sand is said many times here, the only way out of sand is knowing the purpose.

for concrete avoid Lagos sharp sand... use odo ogun or Stone dust, Lagos dredging sharp sand or soft sand is best use for setting of block, moulding of blocks,
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:54pm On Apr 15, 2018
What is Metrocope roofing and what is Loss Palun roofing? Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by akinolaolujide(m): 8:59pm On Apr 15, 2018
EgunMogaji:
My oga sir e be like say nah ur carpenter spell am ist Actually Metcoppo and Long span.
Both of dem are patterns of aluminium currugation.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:07pm On Apr 15, 2018
akinolaolujide:

My oga sir e be like say nah ur carpenter spell am ist Actually Metcoppo and Long span.
Both of dem are patterns of aluminium currugation.

grin

Wow, okay I got it. Thanks Sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Frankgoz(m): 9:38pm On Apr 15, 2018
megacontrol:
Thank you.

A soil test was done though, the result indicates that the immediate underlying soil is made of LOOSE GREYISH FINE GRAINED SANDS followed by SOFT DARK BROWNISH PEAT.

Is compaction really all that necessary with a pile foundation? i am just wondering, given that the superstructure will be supported by piles which are connected directly to the hard rock deep down. this is why i think the filing medium will not make that much difference. there will not be significant settlement (if any) to the structure whether you use sharp sand or not. i stand to be corrected.
for a two plots of land waterlogged seriously in excess of 1m, then you could easily be talking about over a million naira difference between this two choices of filling sand.

if it were a raft foundation, then the type of filling sand takes a greater significance.

I think the picture is clearer now. You are right about insignificant settlement with your adopted foundation (pile). settlement in deep foundations like yours is very infinitesimal. You can go with your choice of filling sand, but be mindful to compact fully in three layers and damp proof properly to eliminate permeability.......preferabely 'double layer' since according to you the site is water logged. Of course you and I kno this measure wil save the occupants the stress of running away during rainy season like most landlords and tenants in Lekki/Ajah

Sorry for the delayed response though and good luck in your project!!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 9:41pm On Apr 15, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Se nah Chinese gave you those?
Probably Metcoppo or Long Span.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Barryton: 9:51pm On Apr 15, 2018
KolaShangOne:

@emboldened Who get that time, i no be julius berger oo. lol
Maybe because lagos is a riverine area, reason for the salty sand. We don't experience it in my area in Edo state. Maybe because of presence of less river, both the white & red like sand are used for concrete works.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nokia46: 9:51pm On Apr 15, 2018
snakebeat:

Which areas of your house are u having these termites?

though the building is ongoing but within 1 week of break, termites had built very huge castle in kitchen & one of the rooms.

also to all uncompleted building around my site.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Barryton: 9:52pm On Apr 15, 2018
Chekitaut:
I think the issue of sand is said many times here, the only way out of sand is knowing the purpose.

for concrete avoid Lagos sharp sand... use odo ogun or Stone dust, Lagos dredging sharp sand or soft sand is best use for setting of block, moulding of blocks,
I agree with u. Lagos is extremely wet, i believe it has affected its sand.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by earthrealm(m): 10:04pm On Apr 15, 2018
Cindino20:

thank u...it is nothing but breach of contract..and i can bet my balls on it that if the price had dropped the firm wont ve reimbursed him the difference...

Increase in prices cannot be applied retroactively so they cant ask him to pay the new price since he paid under the old price regime. Increase in prices ought to ve an effective date and regular customers ought to be informed..Under normal circumstances he will simply approach the consumer protection agency and the company will be called to order..it wont even happen in the first place..

The way and manner we do biz in Nigeria is sickening to say the least...we wont move an inch forward like this

i wont be suprised if some crroks issue him a fake receipt with the new price regime implement, while they now go ahead and prepare another receipt with the old price, wch they will present to auditors/managment, so they end up pocketing the price difference cool cool cool fantastically corrupt

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by johnson232: 10:25pm On Apr 15, 2018
KolaShangOne:

Well.. They are kind of different.

Salt content in these sands differ. The whitish ones tend to have more salt which can attack the concrete and iron rods in your foundation.
This is not true.
Sharp sand is sharp sand.
What u just described is soft sand recommended for block work & not sharp sand. u are mixing it up, sharp sand for concrete works & it is different from soft sand. There is a distinct difference between sharp sand & soft sand. What u have mostly in lagos is soft sand & not sharp sand. Pls do your research.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by johnson232: 10:29pm On Apr 15, 2018
Barryton:

@emboldened Who get that time, i no be julius berger oo. lol
Maybe because lagos is a riverine area, reason for the salty sand. We don't experience it in my area in Edo state. Maybe because of presence of less river, both the white & red like sand are used for concrete works.
What they have in lagos is best classified as soft sand & not sharp sand.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Walins: 12:32am On Apr 16, 2018
bixton:

For your foundation blinding you can use

Cement: Sand:Granite
1:2:3
Or
1:2:4.

if am to mode a block hw much will it cost and hw will I calculate it
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 3:05am On Apr 16, 2018
EgunMogaji:

That should be laterite.

The issue with laterite is that it expands and contracts with moisture.

Rubbiish:

Lol...It's laterite.
It expands when subjected to water, reason why it is bad for waterlogged areas.

By my knowledge, it is sharp sand that is more susceptible to expand or contract with or without moisture. This is because of its large particle size. The bigger the particle size the more water each particle can absorb. This is the main reason rocks undergo weathering which eventually gives sharp sand and much later soil.

In laterite, plasticity index increases and decreases that causes the soil to flow or reach its liquid limit. This happens because water takes up the space between individual particles of the soil. This is the main reason clay soils crack when dry.

Modified

Talking about waterlogged areas, i know the practice in most places is using sharp sand. It is a very bad practice for several reasons. 3 of the most prominent reasons are
1. Porosity
2. Low shear strength
3. Low density

All these problems with sharp sand are eliminated with proper COMPACTION of laterite at its OPTIMUM WATER CONTENT making laterite the most suitable filling material. Note the words in bold, they are very important to achieving the maximum density which directly means high load bearing. At the long run, a proper filling with laterite will cost an arm and a leg. Most people plan would temporarily solve the problem but not permanently, hence sharp sand.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:14am On Apr 16, 2018
adanny01:

By my knowledge, it is sharp sand that is more susceptible to expand or contract with or without moisture. This is because of its large particle size. The bigger the particle size the more water each particle can absorb. This is the main reason rocks undergo weathering which eventually gives sharp sand and much later soil.

In laterite, plasticity index increases and decreases that causes the soil to flow or reach its liquid limit. This happens because water takes up the space between individual particles of the soil. This is the main reason clay soils crack when dry.

Based on my learnings on my project, I will have to respectfully disagree with you, Sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 3:39am On Apr 16, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Based on my learnings on my project, I will have to respectfully disagree with you, Sir.

I did my undergraduate project on soil and its engineering properties. I read a lot of engineering literature on the subject apart from the laboratory research i did.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:46am On Apr 16, 2018
adanny01:

I did my undergraduate project on soil and its engineering properties. I read a lot of engineering literature on the subject apart from the laboratory research i did.

Remember, that I am not saying that you're wrong. We just have a difference of opinion.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 4:02am On Apr 16, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Remember, that I am not saying that you're wrong.

I know you disagree, these things are not always what they seem. It is like getting an online diagnosis for certain symptoms but nothing beats physical examination by an experienced Doctor.

Porosity is the reason sharp sand looks like it doesnt expand but infact it is most affected by water than laterite. I did permeability tests on laterite that made me sleep in the lab during my UG project. Like i said with the modification, you need to do proper compaction on the laterite and it beats sand any day any time.

Have you ever seen sand on road construction? In fact, if you meet a sand deposit on road construction you have to remove it same way you would with clay.

Think of it this way, sand allows water level to rise within it but properly compacted laterite stops water level.Water is the enemy here.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 5:17am On Apr 16, 2018
Thanks man.

Frankgoz:

I think the picture is clearer now. You are right about insignificant settlement with your adopted foundation (pile). settlement in deep foundations like yours is very infinitesimal. You can go with your choice of filling sand, but be mindful to compact fully in three layers and damp proof properly to eliminate permeability.......preferabely 'double layer' since according to you the site is water logged. Of course you and I kno this measure wil save the occupants the stress of running away during rainy season like most landlords and tenants in Lekki/Ajah

Sorry for the delayed response though and good luck in your project!!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 5:35am On Apr 16, 2018
Hmmm, this is an example of the concern i raised earlier about myth or individual practices being adopted over time as industry standard process/best practice without technical justification, or like in this case scientific research.

Although this is argument is difficult to accept as it completely turns everything on its head, but who are we to belittle your body of work. I actually would love to read excerpts of the report if you don't mind sharing with me privately.

I understand geology in general so i get your point on porosity and permeability.

Just to be sure,which sand do you refer to as sharp and laterite in this case?

adanny01:

I know you disagree, these things are not always what they seem. It is like getting an online diagnosis for certain symptoms but nothing beats physical examination by an experienced Doctor.

Porosity is the reason sharp sand looks like it doesnt expand but infact it is most affected by water than laterite. I did permeability tests on laterite that made me sleep in the lab during my UG project. Like i said with the modification, you need to do proper compaction on the laterite and it beats sand any day any time.

Have you ever seen sand on road construction? In fact, if you meet a sand deposit on road construction you have to remove it same way you would with clay.

Think of it this way, sand allows water level to rise within it but properly compacted laterite stops water level.Water is the enemy here.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 7:07am On Apr 16, 2018
Walins:
if am to mode a block hw much will it cost and hw will I calculate it

You will have to find out the price in your area but in my area its a bag at #700.
Types of aggregate material determines the mix and preferred number.

On a general note (foundation stage/ sub-structure))
6" blocks(solid/hollow)------------30/35 blocks
9" blocks (solid/hollow)----------20/25 blocks

You can increase the number by +5 afterwards for after foundation stage.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (941) (942) (943) (944) (945) (946) (947) ... (3693) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: gbadexy(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.