Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,292 members, 7,818,988 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:34 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (269) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4399334 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (266) (267) (268) (269) (270) (271) (272) ... (3669) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 4:53pm On May 25, 2016
EgunMogaji:

The roofing.

I don't subscribe to using aluminum for the fascia, it doesn't fit the profile I'm going for.

I want my houses to have a feel of bungalows in Bodija of 50s and 60s.

I be village boy hence VillageHeadMaster.Com
grin
You wont stop amusing me in this thread. You are the man here. Taking my time going through posts here. You sabi talk gan ni with sense of humour.

Abeg, i hope you not talking bout ile oni panu - old version of "aluminum roof" grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 4:53pm On May 25, 2016
3strikes:

No one should quote me o. Did erico say this project is in Niger delta? Abi Baba don discover oil for his site?
Yes oh so U nor kno say na we we dem dey opress for the SS side? grin
That house is built in the main swamp in my village where we own the rites to the swamp so the land was free to me.But it's xtreemly challenging.I'm waiting for erosion sand to fill in 4 those of you who know this level grin grin
It's been standing like this for 4 years now .make we dey watch the tapography as E dey change
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:55pm On May 25, 2016
agarawu23:
i know sir; i am talking about myself. to me, its like i am spending foolishly even if i am using the best engineer in the world cos i know i can get a better land elsewhere and i wont be spending millions to do raft foundation and my mind wont be up during raining season. we all gat reasons for our actions cool so we cant be the same especially when your hope is on your *osu su* monthly contribution cheesy

The opportunity cost of my foundation height and laterite filing is exactly another plot = I could have bought one more plot with the money I spent on it.

I absolutely agree with you and more so now. The land is absolutely important.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 4:57pm On May 25, 2016
agarawu23:
its really challenging, only millionaires like u people u can try it cool
Guy you don start? grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:59pm On May 25, 2016
Empiree:
You wont stop amusing me in this thread. You are the man here. Taking my time going through posts here. You sabi talk gan ni with sense of humour.

Abeg, i hope you not talking bout ile oni panu - old version of "aluminum roof" grin

grin

Actually, now that you mention it, I'll be using "panu" to roof a future gazeebo I'll build. I have to pay homage somehow to the "awon asiwaju" cheesy

It's either panu or mariwo ope, but I have a phobia about mariwo.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kino47: 4:59pm On May 25, 2016
yes nah because what is left to say

Abeg baba no mind that kino47, na only shirt hin see for all we dey discuss since.

Anyway, the build happened within 40 days and that shirt was my newest pick that time. I just dey rock am[/quote]
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Justbusiness: 5:02pm On May 25, 2016
erico2k2:

Guy you don start? grin

grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 5:05pm On May 25, 2016
AZUH:
@egunmojagi i was busy today , thanks for asking . i was busy with the president i want further devaluation of naira .
Why? shocked
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 5:13pm On May 25, 2016
EgunMogaji:

The opportunity cost of my foundation height and laterite filing is exactly another plot = I could have bought one more plot with the money I spent on it.

I absolutely agree with you and more so now. The land is absolutely important.
i really do want to ask why your foundation was so high like that. land is very important to me. months ago, i saw an advert here on a land in lagos thats close to my location, i asked if it was a dry land, the op said yes. when i gave my mum the contact to help me check the land, it was a swampy land but developed with a friendly price tag but i just cant buy such land even if i will be reselling it in future. i have experienced so many bad cases about such lands.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:14pm On May 25, 2016
kino47:
yes nah because what is left to say about you or haven't you noticed that you have finished yourself. all lies and mistrust no integrity KOBO.na ur kids i pitty for after you destroy that name you will leave it for them to contend with.

BIG UPS to all the sincere engineers in the house SHOUT OUT to spyder,segcymor,segzy14,skimanski and lafolabi and co.

QC1 God will see you through and by his GRACE it will be resolved. the computer scientist will meet his match very soon you just hold on OK the only engineer have seen using 6inch block for foundation of a building going up, WHAT AN IDIOT.

I'll continue to remind you in my prayers because of the Brabus sickness.

Go and search again if more people haven't build with the same 6in block here on Nairaland.

Where were you then to call them names as usual?

Just like you claimed one of my site was flooded a year ago only to find out you're not right and had to apologize.
https://www.nairaland.com/2486191/ikorodu-mansion-diy-report/4#36552593
Are you the one who removed the flood?

Are you going to apologize for the 6in block accusation because even the best in the trade have used it without brouhaha here? Is it because Brabus name was mentioned that it became an issue.

I know it's Brabus-sickness. God will heal you!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:20pm On May 25, 2016
agarawu23:
i really do want to ask why your foundation was so high like that. land is very important to me. months ago, i saw an advert here on a land in lagos thats close to my location, i asked if it was a dry land, the op said yes. when i gave my mum the contact to help me check the land, it was a swampy land but developed with a friendly price tag but i just cant buy such land even if i will be reselling it in future. i have experienced so many bad cases about such lands.

1) I wanted a sloping land high on a ridge for personal advantage.

2) I had a specific building plan that I felt needs to be on the same level. I have a very open plan with a 500 square foot internal courtyard.

I fought mildly with my builder throughout the foundation stage as it didn't make sense to him the amount of filing that would be needed.

Yesterday after he finished the setting out, he called me to tell me that it makes sense to him now. Success grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 5:20pm On May 25, 2016
erico2k2:

Guy you don start? grin
grin grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 5:20pm On May 25, 2016
EgunMogaji:

grin

Actually, now that you mention it, I'll be using "panu" to roof a future gazeebo I'll build. I have to pay homage somehow to the "awon asiwaju" cheesy

It's either panu or mariwo ope, but I have a phobia about mariwo.
Lol, good vibe. You are truly "egunmogaji". You be real classical man
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 3strikes: 5:22pm On May 25, 2016
Enough of bad news o. I got a good news for you all. https://www.nairaland.com/3126803/lagos-signs-mou-fourth-mainland
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 5:23pm On May 25, 2016
EgunMogaji:

1) I wanted a sloping land high on a ridge for personal advantage.

2) I had a specific building plan that I felt needs to be on the same level. I have a very open plan with a 500 square foot internal courtyard.

I fought mildly with my builder throughout the foundation stage as it didn't make sense to him the amount of filing that would be needed.

Yesterday after he finished the setting out, he called me to tell me that it makes sense to him now. Success grin

carry go baba, na your property, you can do any *ara* with it grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kino47: 5:28pm On May 25, 2016
HE WHO HAS EARS LET HIM HEAR THIS GUY CALLED BRABUS,NEXTHOME,N3XT AND OTHER CODED NAMES HE IS USING TO DEFEND HIMSELF ON THIS THREAD BEWARE, ITS NOT HIS FAULT ITS A PROBLEM HE HAS BEEN CARRYING FOR LONG I PRAY GOD HEAL HIM BECAUSE HE CAN DEFRAUD EVEN HIS OWN CHILD AND DEFEND IT.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 5:30pm On May 25, 2016
agarawu23:
grin grin grin
Like this I port go inside town in PH. Make I leave that swamp
This is where we at with the new build
See this site no single eliment of potopoto grin
My mind reach ground and each £ that goes in creats a height

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:32pm On May 25, 2016
kino47:
HE WHO HAS EARS LET HIM HEAR THIS GUY CALLED BRABUS,NEXTHOME,N3XT AND OTHER CODED NAMES HE IS USING TO DEFEND HIMSELF ON THIS THREAD BEWARE, ITS NOT HIS FAULT ITS A PROBLEM HE HAS BEEN CARRYING FOR LONG I PRAY GOD HEAL HIM BECAUSE HE CAN DEFRAUD EVEN HIS OWN CHILD AND DEFEND IT.

I know when you're back to senses, you'll come back and apologize as you always do.

https://www.nairaland.com/2486191/ikorodu-mansion-diy-report/4#36564038

Good boy!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 5:37pm On May 25, 2016
kino47:
@QC1 @BRABUS please from the picture am seeing there are other buildings that look older that are close to QC1's house what have those ones done right that has totally gone wrong in your project.

Secondly Brabus can you tell us what you can do to stop this nightmare and also can you please go to the site and fix it for CHRIST SAKE

Its not really about what those "other houses" did right or wrong (None or just one of them did a Pile foundation, from what l have read here)....

Its about the TEXTURE OF SOIL WAY-DOWN UNDERNEATH those houses! (which only a Soil test can expose)
You might throw a dice and get lucky, it does not mean you will get lucky next time.

I have seen the texture of land change from solid red soil, to brackish swamp mud (as in this QC1 compound) within a space of less than 7ft!

At times, we dont know the history of this land, some of them might have been a swampy pond filled with Vegetable matter over some decades ago and now overgrown with top soil vegetation .... and we compare it with another house 30ft away which is standing on a good soil.

The good soil may even be some 5 - 10ft underground ....and the house you are comparing is luckily sitting firm on it or has sank to such firm soil level.

Like l said before, building in/on a Swamp requires a lot of experience, money and professionalism (Soil test, adequate engineering basis, standard material, e.t.c).
If you dont recognize and know what you are dealing with, you wont know and will make an error of Judgement.

If you do it right (cross all t's and ot all i's), you can even build a house on the Lagoon ......
Maximum, a Pile should not cost more than 8m ("average" for a building with the foot print of a say 2 x 3beds per floor) but most Clients (including me) will do everything to avoid "burying" such money underground, if we cant avoid it "successfully..... but its not always successful! undecided

All this back-and-forth, accusations (Between Builder and Client) will not change anything.
Both Builder and Client made mistakes that resulted into what we have on ground now. That is a FACT.

Lastpage!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:40pm On May 25, 2016
Empiree:
Lol, good vibe. You are truly "egunmogaji". You be real classical man

Some modern ways of using panu grin

Last picture, "I no tell you say those oyinbo dey craze small small"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:42pm On May 25, 2016
erico2k2:

See this site no single eliment of potopoto grin
My mind reach ground and each £ that goes in creats a height

Na only you dey waka go site or madam dey carry continue while you toil in Europe?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 5:46pm On May 25, 2016
@Brabus:

This place is not a court of law where you need to "aggressively defend" yourself"!
Its a public forum where "opinions" are offered and exchanged. Opinions are important for customer relationship, though.

But whether you defend yourself aggressively, does not mean you are right .....and not doing so, does not mean you are wrong .
(Mind you, l am not using the term "aggressively", as in physical aggression...... but as in "very robust defence"wink

But the danger in doing so, is that as you try to "aggressively defend your position" (which may be right or wrong), you say "some things" which rub most people on the wrong side and makes you appear arrogant and aloof (which in itself, "l think" is a wrong deduction of your personality!)
It is even worse when you showcase or use your own Chateau to do so, ....when another customer's house which you built is experiencing serious difficulty. Please avoid this in future

I like you very much, that is why l am saying this to you.

You try to apologize, which is good but in the same breath, you appear like someone "showing-off" or rubbing-it-in-the-face of an aggrieved Client! That is a "bad combination".
That is why people keep questioning your beautiful suggestions and asking: Why did you not do this x,y,z, if you knew so much?
Like Erico2000 observed, the ideas are brilliant. But l think your "timing" is usually very wrong.

To be honest, if l were your Client and you keep showcasing (boasting) about how your Chateau "is this, and that" while the house you built for me is sinking ..... l dont want to say what will be crossing my mind at that point! Ai'gbo buburu lenu Oore grin grin
Translate: Elders should never say certain things (literally)

When you defend yourself, dont be pushed into using your own house........especially if you bear some of the responsibility.
If you must use it as an example, find a way to do so such that it shows sympathy and the Client can relate positively with it

I still insists that in 2012/2013 when you build this house, you dont have the experience you have now and you made mistakes you wont make now.
Your mistake is not suggesting AND insisting that the owner go back to his "Structural design Engineers" to recommend a PILE foundation ...or walk away before doing any foundation, if he refuses!
We are humans and we are all prone to mistakes.

Building on a Swamp is a "DEFINITE" SCIENCE....... but what YOU "and" QC1 did was not scientific. Period!
I have used "and" because you both contributed and share responsibility for what is on ground.

what has happened, has happened.......... Let us look forward into reducing the impact of the problem, in whatever way.... while we all learn not to repeat the same mistakes in future.

For me, I wont because l am always learning from the mistakes of others.

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 5:49pm On May 25, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Na only you dey waka go site or madam dey carry continue while you toil in Europe?
Ahah nah only me oo.the headache for site madam nor fit wage am.nah only me run come back to Europe wen I hear say pounds nah N480 grin
Madam dey PHC still. Like this I B one man squad baba.
But I will be up to lintel b4 end of nxt month.by God grace.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:00pm On May 25, 2016
@ lastpage, thanks for the kind words. Points well noted.

I'm very conscious of the environment.

Can we continue learning?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:02pm On May 25, 2016
erico2k2:

Ahah nah only me oo.the headache for site madam nor fit wage am.nah only me run come back to Europe wen I hear say pounds nah N480 grin
Madam dey PHC still. Like this I B one man squad baba.
But I will be up to lintel b4 end of nxt month.by God grace.

I'm ordering 2,000 blocks today to try to push towards lintel too.

God is our rock and will see us through because na work we dey do for obodo oyinbo.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 6:20pm On May 25, 2016
erico2k2:

See this site no single eliment of potopoto grin[size=15pt]
My mind reach ground[/size] and each £ that goes in creats a height
baba, "REST OF MIND" very very important. We will see the end soon, more money to your pulse cool
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 6:21pm On May 25, 2016
double post!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 6:22pm On May 25, 2016
n3xt:
@ lastpage, thanks for the kind words. Points well noted.

I'm very conscious of the environment.

Can we continue learning?

Sorry if l was brutal with you, l just want you to do a reality check.

Learning? Yes o! We all learn from each other.... whether we agree or not.

"We die, the day we stop learning". - ?

Bring it on.

Where can one get this Polystrene Foam Parapet, if ever there was one? I think one can use in place of all these Concrete, to reduce the building's weight. Though, it has to be non-load-bearing..... just a decor for the edges.

Lastpage!

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 6:30pm On May 25, 2016
lastpage:

Bring it on.

Where can one get this Polystrene Foam Parapet, if ever there was one? I think one can use in place of all these Concrete, to reduce the building's weight. Though, it has to be non-load-bearing..... just a decor for the edges.

Lastpage!

I am an advocate of polystyrene concrete fascia too o.
You can get it in abuja
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 6:33pm On May 25, 2016
agarawu23:
Even if I dey sleep on top money like Oga mufu as accused by oko afusa, grin I cant buy swampy or any land that's romancing water. when they know swear for me say I must buy land in that particular area.
Brabus, I hail the owner of that project.

Omo area wa... I beg don't listen to Oko Afusa oni kaba o. Everybody here knows say nah me be the "King of the Poor People".
If I get those baba Ijebu money, I for don run for something during Jonathan time.. but then... EFCC nko?

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 6:34pm On May 25, 2016
3strikes:
Enough of bad news o. I got a good news for you all. https://www.nairaland.com/3126803/lagos-signs-mou-fourth-mainland

3Strikes, l hail!

***yawns***

I have been waiting for that Bridge for the last TEN YEARS!
Made some investments around Bayeku/Igbogbo axis some years back, with the hope that this bridge would be build but its taking forever to sign an MOU!

What l want to hear is a "time-line" for delivery of the Bridge.
You know Politicians now, they can sign MOU, like MOU itself! grin grin
If it were a "Military Govt" that signed MOU now, l will be very confident.

But wait o, who will finance this Bridge?
I did not see any Chinese in that signing ceremony?

Europeans generally wont do anything to better the life of Nigerians when it comes to infrastructure.

Go and check the number of MOU they have signed on Power Plant. undecided undecided
Fingers-crossed.
Over-all, its a good thing and a step forward.

Lastpage!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 6:34pm On May 25, 2016
lastpage:

Bring it on.

Lastpage!

Fascia are not load bearing member na. See this one we installed in anambra

You can see our method of installation, it doesn't carry roof load, the head does

(1) (2) (3) ... (266) (267) (268) (269) (270) (271) (272) ... (3669) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: KEVIND, gentlesoul83(m), Olowunl01 and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.