Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,901 members, 7,817,661 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:40 PM

My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. (42968 Views)

DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers / DIY Construction Of My House In PH. / The DIY Drawing Of My Floor Plan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by semitunde: 9:01pm On Aug 02, 2015
Qc1:
^^^

@semitunde

As you can see from the pictures, this building structure in unique not a bungalow (there are 4 rooms upstairs). The builder didn't do the slab before the raft, he just did the raft directly which is the reason why the house sank this much (and I hope I'm wrong).The area is not a sand filled but my property happened to be at the extreme end of the block and swampy.

Hmmm. I hope you're wrong about not doing the slab initially. When was the slab finally done? After superstructure block wall? To what stage?

Many don't realise, for a raft foundation to be effective, the slab has to be there. In a raft, technically the slab carries the weight of the building. The raft beams only keep the soil under the building within the raft area. It may be a little confusing, but if the slab isn't there the foundation is as good as a strip foundation.

Ive looked at the pix well now. I also modified my comment above. Pls read everything again as I just added comments here abs there.

Good luck bro, and well done so far.

1 Like

Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by Nobody: 9:03pm On Aug 02, 2015
semitunde:

Hmmm. I hope you're wrong about not doing the slab initially. When was the slab finally done? After superstructure block wall? To what stage?

Many don't realise, for a raft foundation to be effective, the slab has to be there. In a raft, technically the slab carries the weight of the building. The raft beams only keep the soil under the building within the raft area. It may be a little confusing, but if the slab using there the is as good as a strip foundation.

Ive looked at the pix well now. I also modified my comment above. Pls read everything again as I just added comments here abs there.

Good luck bro, and well done so far.

Sir, so if I'm reading you correctly, this will also apply to a DPC for a bungalow. Doing the DPC before raising the walls will allow the load to be spread, right?

Thanks.
Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by semitunde: 9:13pm On Aug 02, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Sir, so if I'm reading you correctly, this will also apply to a DPC for a bungalow. Doing the DPC before raising the walls will allow the load to be spread, right?

Thanks.

A dpc is quite different. Cos you can do that for strip and even pad foundation, though oversite concrete is preferable.

On a dpc the flooring spreads load but doesn't "carry" the building like a slab in a raft foundation.

Regardless of the building on top. If you've decided on raft, do the slab.

You have buildings with raft and you'll have bungalows on it, maybe because if the soil type or the client might want to later increase the floors.
Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by enrilove12: 9:15pm On Aug 02, 2015
Qc1:

I forget to tell make clear that I also filled the perimeters with about 20 x 20 tons of red filling sand, which was not a very good idea. I should have used sharp sand. This also make it look like the house was virtually sinking.
From your post 20trips of filling sand around the building is enough to cover the raft foundation, making you feel the house sank whereas it did not sink....dont you think so too?
My house foundation was 5feet tall above ground level for a very long time but after compound filling and levelling for interlocking only abt 1ft left....can post pics for your perusal
Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by Qc1(m): 9:23pm On Aug 02, 2015
enrilove12:

From your post 20trips of filling sand around the building is enough to cover the raft foundation, making you feel the house actually sank....dont you think so too?
My house foundation was 5feet tall above ground level for a very long time but after compound filling and levelling for interlocking only abt 1ft left....

I agree with this consideration. Check out the pic posted by brabus(page 3), I will like to hear your inference base on that pic. Thanks.

Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by enrilove12: 9:26pm On Aug 02, 2015
Qc1:

I agree with this consideration. Check out the pic posted by brabus, I will like to hear your inference base on that pic. Thanks.

I have seen the pics...you said that was 20day after ground breaking
Question. ..when did you discover the house sank..was it before this 20trips or after the 20trips?

1 Like

Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by Qc1(m): 9:34pm On Aug 02, 2015
enrilove12:

I have seen the pics...you said that was 20day after ground breaking
Question. ..when did you discover the house sank..was it before this 20trips or after the 20trips?

I would love to answer this question precisely but I can't because the house carcass (minus roofing) was done in just 7 weeks. It happened so fast that I can't specific. That pic was maybe about 15th day on project.
Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by enrilove12: 9:34pm On Aug 02, 2015
Looking more closely on brabus pic. ..I can deduce that the perimeter filling around the building was ongoing and since you used 20trips of filling..that is more than enough to cover the raft foundation around the house..
So I don't think your house sank
Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by Nobody: 9:37pm On Aug 02, 2015
enrilove12:
Looking more closely on brabus pic. ..I can deduce that the perimeter filling around the building was ongoing and since you used 20trips of filling..that is more than enough to cover the raft foundation around the house..

I tend to want to agree. For that much sinkage won't their be corresponding cracks and other damages on the walls, windows, etc
Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by Qc1(m): 9:38pm On Aug 02, 2015
enrilove12:

But the whole raft have vanished like the "Ibadan witches" !
Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by Qc1(m): 9:45pm On Aug 02, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I tend to want to agree. For that much sinkage won't their be corresponding cracks and other damages on the walls, windows, etc

There were some cracks.
Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by enrilove12: 9:45pm On Aug 02, 2015
Qc1:

But the whole raft have vanished like the "Ibadan witches" !
From your last pics...I could still see abt 1ft foundation height above ground level at the front balcony...I think thats wot is left after the 20trips perimeter filling you did.
If actually the house sank, and a whole 20trips was done around the house then you would av been aving the reverse...I.e the ground would av been higher like 1ft or more than the balcony foundation height in your pics
Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by Qc1(m): 9:51pm On Aug 02, 2015
enrilove12:

From your last pics...I could still see abt 1ft foundation height above ground level at the front balcony...I think thats wot is left after the 20trips perimeter filling you did.
If actually the house sank, and a whole 20trips was done around the house then you would av been aving the reverse...I.e the ground would av been higher like 1ft or more than the balcony foundation height in your pics

From that pic, (again I'm not very sure) we had maybe 8 or 9 trips of fillings and the rest after the pic.
Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by enrilove12: 10:01pm On Aug 02, 2015
Qc1:

From that pic, (again I'm not very sure) we had maybe 8 or 9 trips of fillings and the rest after the pic.
Point one.....for you not to be sure then you can't just conclude that your house sank because you said that pics is less than two weeks meaning the 20trips av been done according to ur earlier post that u av used 20trips
Point two. ...You can only be sure it sank if and only if no single filling was done around it when you discovered it....like the two storey building around my area that sank there was no single filling around the raft after ground breaking.so its easy to use the word Sank
Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by Qc1(m): 10:21pm On Aug 02, 2015
enrilove12:

Point one.....for you not to be sure then you can't just conclude that your house sank because you said that pics is less than two weeks meaning the 20trips av been done according to ur earlier post that u av used 20trips
Point two. ...You can only be sure it sank if and only if no single filling was done around it when you discovered it....like the two storey building around my area that sank there was no single filling around the raft after ground breaking.so its easy to use the word Sank

?
Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by enrilove12: 10:26pm On Aug 02, 2015
Qc1:

?
So the conclusion is that your house didnt sink at all because you did a whole 20trips perimeter filling around it and still having about 1ft foundation height as seen in your last pics...Congrats on your progress so far
Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by kino47: 12:48am On Aug 03, 2015
I will have suggested you use this type of foundation due to the terrain of that area there was no need to escarvate

1 Like

Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by Qc1(m): 12:55am On Aug 03, 2015
^^^

Now that's a professional job well done.

I spent about N5m on the raft alone, had my engineer did it like the pic above, there wont be any reason for sinking.
Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by Jamesqu(m): 4:22am On Aug 03, 2015
I have promised myself that I will not comment on this thread again, but I can't fit.

Sir Qc1, the lord will help you finish this house and you shall move in with your wife and the monkeys shall not disturb you.

Forget your builder, leave him out...don't ever think of him again, because anytime you do, you will always be angry.

I hired one kitchen installer too that nearly sent me to Yaba...I have deleted him from my life.

I remember on one thread of your builder, I told the client I would have fired him a long time ago even if I have paid him upfront...everybody shouted...is it not better than to throw good money after bad.

In the other thread, I suggested this big drain which is what you are doing now....it may be expensive, but will surely solve the problem.

The bulider may have good intentions...but you cannot give what you don't have.

Segun Omotayo (segcymoore), use this project as a learning point...visit the place and profer solutions (for free), hopefully the monkeys won't attack you.

4 Likes

Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by bugmenot: 6:12am On Aug 03, 2015

This builder - brabus - only does good packaging. He has 99% of his clients hanging with problematic projects that I will will advice anyone who wants peace of mind to flee from him. One project, one problem. And after creating the problem, he starts to throw advice from a distance. Haba!

Though I'm yet to work with him, Segcy.moor is obviously a better professional.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by kino47: 9:03am On Aug 03, 2015
This is the second time someone is complaining about this guy called Brabus i guess he has integrity issues Secondly i noticed most of his Job is within lekki Ajah axis those guys that can spend billions on a job that will cost thousands those are the guys that are his prey.

The first dude that complained about him said same thing. i remember one of his projects of a twin duplex around ajah this brabus guy took pics of that project and it was clear that the compound was flooded and a nairalander asked him is that water? he said no that it was the buildings shadow and we all can see clearly that it was flood.

My conclusion Mr Brabus your intergrity is questionable.

5 Likes

Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by BrabusNG: 9:24am On Aug 03, 2015
^^^
Could it be this twin-duplex? This is the only twin-duplex I did in Lekki. The only one I ever blogged in my construction diary.

Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by kino47: 9:35am On Aug 03, 2015
Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by BrabusNG: 9:41am On Aug 03, 2015
kino47:
check this out may be it will refresh your memory https://www.nairaland.com/1089928/paper-brick-journal-construction-activities/6

I don't want to derail this thread. The building in the link posted is right behind the one I posted above. It's right inside Diamond Estate, Monastery road, Sangotedo.

What you saw in the picture is flood effect. The estate is fully built and there's no flooded site to my best knowledge. A visit to the site won't be a bad idea.

It's not a twin-duplex but 2 unit of 4 bedroom detached duplex.

Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by ABEngine(m): 9:42am On Aug 03, 2015
Scrypt:

Lol. This info is for linkedin. Not for a house. grin

OK boss... inmail sharply biko
Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by Nobody: 11:16am On Aug 03, 2015
kino47:
check this out may be it will refresh your memory https://www.nairaland.com/1089928/paper-brick-journal-construction-activities/6

If this is the picture then to my trained eye is photo effect and not flood.

Brabus and other showcasers should do well to only post high res and untouched pictures.

1 Like

Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by BrabusNG: 3:24pm On Aug 03, 2015
kino47:

EgunMogaji:

If this is the picture then to my trained eye is photo effect and not flood.
Brabus and other showcasers should do well to only post high res and untouched pictures.

The original pictures attached here.

4 Likes

Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by kino47: 3:26pm On Aug 03, 2015
on that issue case closed, apology extended

1 Like

Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by BrabusNG: 3:32pm On Aug 03, 2015
kino47:
on that issue case closed, apology extended

Apology accepted. You're a brother!

1 Like

Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by redoakfurniture: 4:23pm On Aug 03, 2015
At Redoak Furniture, we believe that beautiful kitchens should be accessible to all. While most high-end cabinetry breaches upon high-end budgets, we maintain unbeatable prices.We offer products/Services to our clients at an affordable cost without sacrificing quality. Our stunning cabinetry is carefully constructed both inside and out, using only the finest material. Doors and drawers flaunt exclusive features like soft closing, full extension mechanisms, and dovetail joint constructions. Our luxury craftsmanship is unique and stylish. Our Furniture Store is located @ 1st Floor Rectangle Building,Km 16,Building Beside Skye Bank,Osapa London,Lekki Epe Expressway,Lekki Lagos.Please kindly contact us On:
Phone:+2348159478915,WhatsApp:+2348146467931 email:contact.redoak@gmail.com

Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by Nobody: 4:46pm On Aug 03, 2015
Watch out for this page........ my thorough review of Brabus CEO NextHome is coming soon. You don't want to miss this if you are building or ever plan to build.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House / Lagos Building Collapse: 3 Dead, 3 Rescued As Search Continues / Man Builds A House For A Poor Widow In Imo (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.