Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,112 members, 7,814,900 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:40 PM

Novel Readers! Can U Remember Ur First? - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Novel Readers! Can U Remember Ur First? (5196 Views)

Novel Readers(nora Robert,dan Brown,daniel Steele,sydney Sheldon) / Igbo Readers, Can You Recall This Novel / The Brand Of Cain (A Complete Novel) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Novel Readers! Can U Remember Ur First? by tubabie(f): 8:58pm On Apr 02, 2009
Hmm, its quite confusing which one was the first but its certainly one of the Enid Blyton series,
i think its the 'Magic faraway Tree' or The Famous five. undecided

To think that i wanted so much to find a magic tree in the back yard with elves and fairies all around. cheesy cheesy
Re: Novel Readers! Can U Remember Ur First? by kokoye(m): 9:15pm On Apr 02, 2009
tubabie:

Hmm, its quite confusing which one was the first but its certainly one of the Enid Blyton series,
i think its the 'Magic faraway Tree' or The Famous five. undecided

To think that i wanted so much to find a magic tree in the back yard with elves and fairies all around. cheesy cheesy

Wow, I remember that book. Nice one. not as good as igbo irumole though tongue

Having to put 'ami' on all those words to make meanings will give some a hard-on. grin
Re: Novel Readers! Can U Remember Ur First? by tubabie(f): 9:26pm On Apr 02, 2009
kokoye:

Wow, I remember that book. Nice one. not as good as igbo irumole though tongue

Having to put 'ami' on all those words to make meanings will give some a hard-on. grin

igbo irumole ? undecided was it that interesting? if there's a book like that. then you must av read 'Ogun omode' real funny piece smiley
Re: Novel Readers! Can U Remember Ur First? by ikamefa(f): 9:26pm On Apr 02, 2009
pacesetters i think?  undecided not sure of the title undecided

Re: Novel Readers! Can U Remember Ur First? by Nobody: 9:31pm On Apr 02, 2009
I read "Wages of Sin" in Jss 1 . . . 1993 i think.
Re: Novel Readers! Can U Remember Ur First? by tubabie(f): 9:39pm On Apr 02, 2009
'Blood Bath at Lobster close' was my first in the pacesetter series in pry. 5
Re: Novel Readers! Can U Remember Ur First? by Nobody: 9:41pm On Apr 02, 2009
@Topic.
I cat remember!
Re: Novel Readers! Can U Remember Ur First? by Pepeye(f): 10:05pm On Apr 02, 2009
The Famous Five- Enid Blyton series

Lady birds
Re: Novel Readers! Can U Remember Ur First? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Apr 02, 2009
Secret Garden, i've forgotten who wrote it though- Loved it!
Re: Novel Readers! Can U Remember Ur First? by texazzpete(m): 10:12pm On Apr 02, 2009
The first book i ever read was 'Tarzan and the Ape Man' by Edgar Rice Burroughs
read it loooooooooong ago, when i was in Primary 2  grin

I can barely remember the novel, but i do know how the bad guy died, it was so shockingly lurid (to my young mind then) that it stuck in my mind forever.
Re: Novel Readers! Can U Remember Ur First? by Dividends(m): 11:31pm On Apr 02, 2009
For me it was CHIKE AND THE RIVER by Africa's finest storyteller, Chinua Achebe. Invisible, I hail thee!
@Remii: ", This is assuming Yoruba novels like Igbo Olodumare, Ogboju Ode et at are not counted." Why would you not count them?
@Babadee "The Freethinker": Eiyaaa! Aren't we supposed to make better choices as we age?
Re: Novel Readers! Can U Remember Ur First? by kadman(m): 12:12am On Apr 03, 2009
ROOTS - Alex Haley,I was 8 and it took me weeks to finish
Re: Novel Readers! Can U Remember Ur First? by UNLEASHED(m): 12:42am On Apr 03, 2009
Can't really remember . . . should be one of Hardley Chase novels
Re: Novel Readers! Can U Remember Ur First? by buttercop(m): 12:43am On Apr 03, 2009
i seriously can't remember my first. though most pple mentioned story books and not novels. if it were even storybooks we were talking about i wouldn't even remember my first. i've read a lot of books in my life time that i started taking track of all the ones i've read this year. i totally forgot about past ones which are quite a lot and so far i've read 43 books, yeah it's almost scary but i don't really do anything. some of my recent ones are short sories though got them from a primary schl student cos there are no real novels to read. i read passport of mallam ilia- lovely book i must say coming from a nigerian. treasure island, and the mystery of the moon castle by Enid Blyton read the last two about two days ago. my most recent real novel was Ashes to Ashes by Tami Hoag, she's so good at what she does. really lovely serial killing books she writes. read many of her books, a thin dark line. cry wolf, and then u die, kill the messenger, guilty as sin, dark paradise and counting i read a thin dark line first and got hooked.

i think my first real novel was one my mum gave me when i was about 8, a James Hardley Chase book she had just finished reading. i read it in like 3 weeks. all i remember about the book is some guy aspiring to be maybe senator or something and some lady called leslie that lost out on everything at the end. wish i could read the book again to understand better
Re: Novel Readers! Can U Remember Ur First? by protocol(m): 8:11am On Apr 03, 2009
mine was: one week one trouble, one man, one matchet and one man ,one wife ; cant remember the authors. it was in standerd 2 in 1972 grin grin
Re: Novel Readers! Can U Remember Ur First? by Nobody: 9:29am On Apr 03, 2009
first real novel was prolly one of the books in the house. i really can't remeber. . .

that would make it roots ,h rider haggard(king Solomon's mines, she, Allan quatermain in one book ) or George Orwell( animal farm, Burmese days, a clergyman's daughter, coming up for air, keep the apidtsra flying, 1984 in one book) i must have read those books a dozen times over the years.

it has been said that a great book should be read in youth, in middle age and in old age and thats true. . .i barely understood what animal farm and 1984 were about back then. at least i now understand that in animal farm snowball was lenin, napoleon was stalin, the dogs were the secret police, the sheep were the masses, boxer was the workers who believed and were sold out, benjamin was the cynical old people who had seen it all, moses the raven was the clergy. . .

and there was some patronizing racism in h rider haggards books - (good and foulata - how can the sun mate withe moon or the white with the black?)

been meaning to get the compete works of dickens. . .but no time these days. . .
Re: Novel Readers! Can U Remember Ur First? by Christino(m): 9:40am On Apr 03, 2009
Nkem and Akpo are in the market , (novelette)
Re: Novel Readers! Can U Remember Ur First? by Terryj(f): 10:31am On Apr 03, 2009
My book of bible story.
Re: Novel Readers! Can U Remember Ur First? by Coolturbo(m): 11:39am On Apr 03, 2009
Mine was Fyikogbon
Re: Novel Readers! Can U Remember Ur First? by ichiatu(f): 11:42am On Apr 03, 2009
My first novel was AFRICAN NITES ENTERTAINMENT, Can't remember the author's name
Re: Novel Readers! Can U Remember Ur First? by wolexf(m): 12:26pm On Apr 03, 2009
The Last Don by Mario Puzo
Re: Novel Readers! Can U Remember Ur First? by royalicon(m): 12:40pm On Apr 03, 2009
grin
The first book i think was my Yoruba Text Book by J. F. Odunjo. (Abebi ati Obey) when i was in Pry 1. grin grin grin

Growing up, I can remember reading ('Why you act the way you do' and 'why are we so different') both by Tim LaHaye among other books.
Re: Novel Readers! Can U Remember Ur First? by lawyer(m): 1:20pm On Apr 03, 2009
Mine wasn't a book but a naija Indecency cartoon magazine called "Lolly" or something grin I had these insanely mad brothers who used to buy stacks of these mags and i go curious.

Thank God i am born again now! cheesy. . . lol

But on a more serious note, i think it was "Chike and the River" or "Animal Farm"
Re: Novel Readers! Can U Remember Ur First? by Redman44(m): 4:47pm On Apr 03, 2009
@i.chiatu

AFRICAN NIGHT'S ENTERTAINMENT was written by Cyprian Ekwensi. He also wrote the THE PASSPORT OF MALLAM ILIA. Ekwensi was one of the greatest writers to come out of Nigeria. Cheers.
Re: Novel Readers! Can U Remember Ur First? by skirmish: 5:56pm On Apr 03, 2009
Jane Eyre
Re: Novel Readers! Can U Remember Ur First? by Okijajuju1(m): 8:22pm On Apr 03, 2009
Things fall Apart - Chinua Achebe

I was either 12 or 13. My mama forced me to read it.
Re: Novel Readers! Can U Remember Ur First? by bloodred(f): 8:37am On Apr 04, 2009
mine was a novel titled Hero No.1
it was a nigerian adventure story
I read it in primary 2 so forgive me if i cant remember the author. However it built my interest in reading and i've read novels ever since. thousands of them.
Re: Novel Readers! Can U Remember Ur First? by Nobody: 4:10pm On Apr 04, 2009
@ k4kenny: Enid Blyton is actually a guy. and yes the first book i read was buttercup day and other stories followed by naughty Amelia Jane (both by him).

the first grown up book i read was pace setters' DEATH IS A WOMAN. i cant remember the author's name. for a nine year old, it was really vivid shocked shocked shocked

who has read the sci-fi: DUNE
Re: Novel Readers! Can U Remember Ur First? by dominique(f): 8:23pm On Apr 04, 2009
@careytommy

i beg to differ. Enid's a woman, you can look it up online. i also read tons of her books
Re: Novel Readers! Can U Remember Ur First? by Amigoz(f): 8:43pm On Apr 04, 2009
Gosh!!

My first novel, cant ever 4gt

Was ma sista's literature book

Jane Eyre. . . .

Pronounced it Jane eyire. . . . . grin grin grin grin cant 4gt hw ma sista laughed @ me
Re: Novel Readers! Can U Remember Ur First? by Nobody: 4:40am On Apr 05, 2009
Enid Blyton was a British woman.

lawyer:

Mine wasn't a book but a naija Indecency cartoon magazine called "Lolly" or something grin I had these insanely mad brothers who used to buy stacks of these mags and i go curious.

Thank God i am born again now! cheesy. . . lol

But on a more serious note, i think it was "Chike and the River" or "Animal Farm"

lolly and mr. nackson who used to jack up cars with his . . . tongue I read it in primary 5! Lord!
Re: Novel Readers! Can U Remember Ur First? by Nobody: 5:22am On Apr 05, 2009
Amigoz:

Jane Eyre. . . .
That book was craaaaaaaaaaap!!

The movie was even more crappy.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

When Love Stinks..... A Short Story / 3 Sisters And A Corper / In Our Prime. A Very Short Medical Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.