Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,119 members, 7,818,349 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:18 PM

Programming Jargons Other Programmers Don't Know - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Programming Jargons Other Programmers Don't Know (1325 Views)

I Love Programming But Don't Know Where To Start From. / Reasons Why Many Programmers Don't Get Jobs. / Join Other Programmers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Programming Jargons Other Programmers Don't Know by Stconvict(m): 8:26pm On Aug 26, 2015
Do you get that occasional feeling that you know some programming jargons, concepts or terms other programmers on NL don't know about?
Well, If you think you have some terms in mind, then kindly share some of them and provide short descriptions of what they are.
Let these other gurus know they are not the only smart dudes around on Nairaland. smiley

I have a few terms under my belt:
Magic Number (binary) - the part of a binary file header that is used to determine endianess of the file.
Endianess (binary) - this describes the byte order in which a processor reads or stores data. It may be little-endian or big-endian.
Mantissa (data type) - is the significant digits of a floating point data type.
Bounding volume hierarchy (game programming) - this is a parent-child hierarchy of shapes. It is commonly used for collision detection in game engines.
Voxels (computer graphics) - are basically 3d pixels. They are used to create volumetric models.
Hardware Abstraction Layer (android development) - is a layer that allows the Android OS to access hardware modules (e.g camera, bluetooth) in a consistent way accross devices.

These are the few I remember for now.
I'm sure you've never heard about some of them.
Let's see how well you know your field (web dev, app dev, game dev, database management, systems, ...). Share what you have. wink

NB: Please don't include terms that relate to programming practices.
Re: Programming Jargons Other Programmers Don't Know by Nobody: 8:54pm On Aug 26, 2015
Arrant! nonsense!!
Re: Programming Jargons Other Programmers Don't Know by jacob05(m): 8:57pm On Aug 26, 2015
MuhammaduBuhari:
Arrant! nonsense!!
Re: Programming Jargons Other Programmers Don't Know by Stconvict(m): 9:52pm On Aug 26, 2015
MuhammaduBuhari:
[size=4pt]Arrant! nonsense!![/size]
If you don't have anything to contribute, you can just stay quiet.
Re: Programming Jargons Other Programmers Don't Know by Nobody: 4:19am On Aug 27, 2015
Stconvict:

If you don't have anything to contribute, you can just stay quiet.
I am the only person with a reasonable response on this thread. . .your first customer and customers are always right!
Re: Programming Jargons Other Programmers Don't Know by Stconvict(m): 7:26am On Aug 27, 2015
MuhammaduBuhari:

I am the only person with a reasonable response on this thread. . .your first customer and customers are always right!
lipsrsealed
Re: Programming Jargons Other Programmers Don't Know by Nobody: 8:39am On Aug 27, 2015
Stconvict:

lipsrsealed
Oya say it now or face the consequencies!
Re: Programming Jargons Other Programmers Don't Know by Stconvict(m): 9:36pm On Aug 27, 2015
MuhammaduBuhari:

Oya say it now or face the consequencies!
*Consequences

1 Like

Re: Programming Jargons Other Programmers Don't Know by Nobody: 9:47pm On Aug 27, 2015
Stconvict:

*Consequences
Wetin consign you? I be Naija boy, i no be british/amerikan!
Re: Programming Jargons Other Programmers Don't Know by MadNuke(m): 10:01pm On Aug 27, 2015
I'm new on Nairaland, can someone guide me to the psychiatric section. grin
Re: Programming Jargons Other Programmers Don't Know by Stconvict(m): 10:35pm On Aug 27, 2015
MadNuke:
I'm new on Nairaland, can someone guide me to the psychciatric section. grin
Are you for real!
Re: Programming Jargons Other Programmers Don't Know by Nobody: 6:44am On Aug 28, 2015
MadNuke:
I'm new on Nairaland, can someone guide me to the psychiatric section. grin
You don dey madt abi? Well, there are plenty madt people on nairaland so you are not alone - just carry on.

(1) (Reply)

C++ Tutorial Question Gurus In The House Should Save From Carry Over / C/C++ Internship / Tech Guys/girls IOS Vs Andriod Which Do You Use And Why

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.