Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,063 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:25 AM

Recommend A Book For Me! - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Recommend A Book For Me! (2780 Views)

I Self-Published A Book! Thank You Nairaland / Let's Write A Book! / booked (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Recommend A Book For Me! by SeanT21(f): 4:48am On Mar 31, 2009
I am reading "BO:Dreams from my father" and I am almost done.I am now thinking about what novel to order next.
This is where I need your help. Please recommend me a book.Any book that you love that changed your life and your view on things in a possitive way.

I will be greatly appreciated. wink
Re: Recommend A Book For Me! by Suzanne84(f): 11:33am On Mar 31, 2009
I don't know the kind of books that interest you. But try The Color Purple by Alice Walker and A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini.
If you like memoirs, Soyinka's You Must Set Forth at Dawn and Maya Angelou's I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings are pretty good too.
Re: Recommend A Book For Me! by Nobody: 4:46pm On Mar 31, 2009
try 'memoirs of a boy soldier' by ishmael beah its really informative.
Re: Recommend A Book For Me! by SeanT21(f): 8:20pm On Apr 01, 2009
Thanks very much

but~~

Suzanne84:

I don't know the kind of books that interest you. But try The Color Purple by Alice Walker and A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini.
If you like memoirs, Soyinka's You Must Set Forth at Dawn and Maya Angelou's I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings are pretty good too.

Is that not a poetry??
Re: Recommend A Book For Me! by Epi: 11:43pm On Apr 01, 2009
Memoirs of a Geisha is a good book too. The movie is good too
Re: Recommend A Book For Me! by Nobody: 12:15am On Apr 02, 2009
My Antonia

Pride and Prejudice

We all fall down

The murder of Roger Ackroyd  (mystery)

Kaffir Boy (Very good, about a boy who went through segregation/Apartheid  in SA)
Re: Recommend A Book For Me! by SeanT21(f): 1:27am On Apr 02, 2009
epi:

Memoirs of a Geisha is a good book too. The movie is good too

I already saw the movie and loved it!!
Re: Recommend A Book For Me! by SeanT21(f): 1:28am On Apr 02, 2009
Ebony-Silk:

My Antonia

Pride and Prejudice

We all fall down

The murder of Roger Ackroyd (mystery)

Kaffir Boy (Very good, about a boy who went through segregation/Apartheid in SA)

Sounds interesting!!

I already saw the movie for Pride and Prejudice.
Re: Recommend A Book For Me! by Remii(m): 3:54am On Apr 02, 2009
Get a copy of "Who moved my cheese?" I enjoyed reading it got some life changing facts there also. Good luck.
Re: Recommend A Book For Me! by SeanT21(f): 4:03am On Apr 02, 2009
Remii:

Get a copy of "Who moved my cheese?" I enjoyed reading it got some life changing facts there also. Good luck.

That is a funny titile.Give me the 411 about it??
Re: Recommend A Book For Me! by suprted(m): 4:32am On Apr 02, 2009
who moved my cheese- self help bullshyt that doesn't tell you anything you don't already know.
Re: Recommend A Book For Me! by Sammy107d(m): 5:14am On Apr 02, 2009
Yeah I hate all em self-help "you can make it" "dreams of my father" crap! reiterating things you've heard a dozen times. I've also shunned fiction as it's incredibly time wasting. You read the same twisted stories in movies for 3wks! The vocabulary is not as useful cos it's mostly slang

Read something that'll teach you about history, life, world politics n geography (something that could help you on a "who wants to b a millionaire" final question). . . I just read Mugabe by Andrew Norman- Eye opening.
Re: Recommend A Book For Me! by aob: 5:16am On Apr 02, 2009
Try the "The five love languages" by Gary Chapman. It is a must read for couples & everyone that intends to travel the marriage path. Apart from that, it will help you to see how a man thinks & women too.
Who move my cheese is good too. I read a piece where someone said it only talked about what we already know. My guy, it is not about knowing alone, but bringing yourself down to application
Re: Recommend A Book For Me! by nedureg01(m): 6:06am On Apr 02, 2009
I guess I'll have to write a book on my life and who knows it may be a bestseller?
Re: Recommend A Book For Me! by FBS: 7:07am On Apr 02, 2009
depend on what you like but I'd recommend John Grisham-any and all of his books are bestsellers.
Re: Recommend A Book For Me! by Em2va: 7:08am On Apr 02, 2009
Tommorow Never Comes, by Sydney Sheldon.
Re: Recommend A Book For Me! by jidobaba(m): 7:35am On Apr 02, 2009
Am at d point where i despise fiction. I'd rather read a normal autobio- not all dis Obama, Clinton politically correct stuff- its mostly fiction of course. I enjoyed 'Angela's ashes'. Got it from a flea market at Palmgrove bstop!
Re: Recommend A Book For Me! by Mashkov: 8:23am On Apr 02, 2009
Go get,

1. What is wrong with being black - Mathew Ashimolowo
Re: Recommend A Book For Me! by DoubleN(m): 8:39am On Apr 02, 2009
Angels and Demons-Dan Brown
Re: Recommend A Book For Me! by Suzanne84(f): 8:56am On Apr 02, 2009
@ poster. I know why the caged bird sings is an autobiography.
Re: Recommend A Book For Me! by peeep: 9:08am On Apr 02, 2009
John L. Mason Motivational Books like The Impossible is Possible; An Enemy Called Average; Why Ask Why.
Re: Recommend A Book For Me! by papagiddy(m): 9:27am On Apr 02, 2009
just try and read, "tough time never last but tough people do"
Re: Recommend A Book For Me! by agboifo(f): 9:30am On Apr 02, 2009
"For One More Day" by Mitch Albom

You will cry, or you will react, For me, I called my mum immediately after!
Re: Recommend A Book For Me! by NeroPapas(m): 9:50am On Apr 02, 2009
Try The Big picture by Dr. Ben Carson. You'll love it!
Re: Recommend A Book For Me! by Ibime(m): 10:27am On Apr 02, 2009
Get "Lords of the North" by Bernard Cromwell or any of the Viking trilogy by Tim Severin. Fascinating reads.

Considering your backgroud, Ishmael Beah's "A Long Way Gone" should be top of your reading list.

Any of the seven autobiographical books by Maya Angelou, starting with "I know why the caged birds sing"

Or any book by our darling Chimamanda Adichie (Purple Hibiscus & Half of a Yellow Sun)
Re: Recommend A Book For Me! by iice(f): 10:29am On Apr 02, 2009
Ibime:

Get "Lords of the North" by Bernard Cromwell or any of the Viking trilogy by Tim Severin. Fascinating reads.

Yay! I got me a book to go find cheesy
Re: Recommend A Book For Me! by uchey(f): 11:05am On Apr 02, 2009
Try Cover Girls' By Bishop T.D Jakes, It changed my life.
Re: Recommend A Book For Me! by alanrewaju: 11:12am On Apr 02, 2009
Lovely Books But Where in Lagos Can I get these books
Re: Recommend A Book For Me! by Epiphany(m): 11:15am On Apr 02, 2009
Try Nelson Mandela's 'A long walk to freedom' and Alex Haleys 'Roots'. These are books i think EVERYONE should read at one time or the other, esp blacks!
Re: Recommend A Book For Me! by Epiphany(m): 11:22am On Apr 02, 2009
Ibime:

Get "Lords of the North" by Bernard Cromwell.

I am going to try this one. Hope its good. I am a fan of some historical novels too. Like Ken Follets 'Pillars of the Earth' and 'World without End'. There is another guy, Conn Iggulden's books on Ghenghis Khan and the young Julius Ceaser. Good books, good books!
Re: Recommend A Book For Me! by lucabrasi(m): 12:14pm On Apr 02, 2009
Mashkov:

Go get,

1. What is wrong with being black - Mathew Ashimolowo

itotally agree with this,very insightful book also read any paulo cohelo book but most especially the best seller" the alchemist", really life changing and you wont regret,there are numerous books you could read from fiction to non fiction,sci-fi biographies,poems e.t.c depends on where your interests lie before you can then proceed to get the books that tickle your fancy
Re: Recommend A Book For Me! by Udode(f): 12:28pm On Apr 02, 2009
Paulo Cohelo : The Alchemist

No jokes as it has been said b4 - it is the best best best best best best best best best best, did I mention it already the BEST
book ever! If you haven't read it - you can not imagine what this book is all about! and it is rather small and very easy to read, so you can stop your thread here, promise its worth it!!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Weird Journey / The Hit Back Series (order From Chaos) / Where Are These Writers?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.