Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,062 members, 7,956,961 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 12:23 AM

Two Sisters To Be Raped As Punishment – Demand Justice Now - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Two Sisters To Be Raped As Punishment – Demand Justice Now (928 Views)

"Women Who Wear Ripped Jeans Deserve To Be Raped” - Egyptian Lawyer / ''All Lesbians Should Be Raped, Because Dick Is Life'' - Linda Uju (Video) / Lady Dragged Into A Lagos Swamp To Be Raped, Rescued - Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Two Sisters To Be Raped As Punishment – Demand Justice Now by sydraay: 11:39am On Aug 28, 2015
Your eyes do not deceive you. An unelected all-male village council in India has ordered that 23-year-old Meenakshi Kumari and her 15-year-old sister are raped.

The ‘sentence’ was handed down as punishment after their brother eloped with a married woman. They also ordered for the sisters to be paraded naked with blackened faces. Nothing could justify this abhorrent punishment. It’s not fair. It’s not right. And it’s against the law. Demand that the local authorities intervene immediately.

•Fearing for their lives

The sisters are from a village in Baghpat district in India. There, on 30 July, an unelected all-male village council (khap panchayat) ordered that they be raped and paraded naked, their faces blackened, as punishment for the actions of their brother. 

The sisters and their family had already fled the village in May for fear of reprisals for their brother’s actions – he eloped with a married woman from a dominant caste (Jat). Shortly after they left their house was ransacked. 

•'The police said anyone can be murdered now'

Sumit Kumar, another brother of Meenakshi says that members of the Jat caste are powerful members of the village council, ‘the Jat decision is final’.

•His family fears for their lives if they return.

Meenakshi has filed a petition with the Supreme Court asking for protection, and her father has lodged a complaint with two national bodies saying that both his family has been harassed not just by the family of the eloped woman (who are of the dominant caste and therefore influential), but also by the police.

They are also worried about the safety of the Jat woman, who is now thought to be pregnant with Meenakshi’s brother’s child.

•Illegal courts

Unelected village councils such as this are widespread in parts of India. More often than not they are made up of older men from dominant castes, who prescribe rules for social behaviour and interaction in villages.

The supreme court of India has described them as ‘kangaroo courts’ and branded their decrees illegal, yet in some states they continue to operate – and their punishments are carried out.  

Act now to demand that this disgusting ruling is not allowed to happen. 

TAKE ACTION
SIGN THE PETITION
HERE : http://www.edondo.com/2015/08/two-sisters-to-be-raped-as-punishment-demand-justice-now
Re: Two Sisters To Be Raped As Punishment – Demand Justice Now by Nobody: 11:43am On Aug 28, 2015
Crazy! Why is rape so paramount in India? Can't their government do something about this barbaric act?! I keep wondering and pondering about it!!
Re: Two Sisters To Be Raped As Punishment – Demand Justice Now by ammyluv2002(f): 11:44am On Aug 28, 2015
Dis India people sef! Wetin person no go see for that Country angry undecided
Re: Two Sisters To Be Raped As Punishment – Demand Justice Now by Nobody: 3:04pm On Aug 28, 2015
sydraay: as punishment for the actions of their brother.
Stopped reading after I saw this.

The law in places differ from others and're usually set up by people familiar with conditions there. It may look and sound barbaric to outsiders but most of these laws're unwritten and recognized by the masses whether young or old present in the land.

The whiteman showing disgust at this story have what they call 'guilt by association' wherein they arrest the closest friend or family member of an absconded fugitive. Nigerians showing disgust at this also have jungle justice which a lot of citizens wholeheartedly support.

I believe truly that the masses present there support this punishment and also believe the brother knew the consequences of his selfish actions. I hope they overturn this judgement but if they can't I surely wouldn't lose sleep over it.
Re: Two Sisters To Be Raped As Punishment – Demand Justice Now by sydraay: 3:38pm On Aug 28, 2015
charix:

Stopped reading after I saw this.

The law in places differ from others and're usually set up by people familiar with conditions there. It may look and sound barbaric to outsiders but most of these laws're unwritten and recognized by the masses whether young or old present in the land.

The whiteman showing disgust at this story have what they call 'guilt by association' wherein they arrest the closest friend or family member of an absconded fugitive. Nigerians showing disgust at this also have jungle justice which a lot of citizens wholeheartedly support.

I believe truly that the masses present there support this punishment and also believe the brother knew the consequences of his selfish actions. I hope they overturn this judgement but if they can't I surely wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Well spoken brother. "Nigerians showing disgust at this also have jungle justice which a lot of citizens wholeheartedly support" u are very correct.

Me I don't support jungle justice at all. D other day I was watching a video where members of a community in nigeria were beating up 2 women and a man because they were involved and caught in fraudulent activities and scams. Yes nobody supports what they did. But d community people wear beating dem up, stripped dem all naked, and forced d man to climb on one of d women and have sex with her. That isn't justice at all. They wia only entertaining demselves. Simply hand dem ova to d police. I weep! Cuz no mata how enlightened and exposed we think we are in this country, many of us are barbaric at hearts. And even though some will not publicly involve in such act, deep down in dia hearts 'its a go ahead' they support it.

I have a new online platform, dat aims at restructuring d minds of d new generation thru d support and contributions of d older and more enlightened ones like urself. Its www.edondo.com E don do (enuf is a enuf). Kindly check it out

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Serial Fraud By Alex Tochukwu Ogbu / Who Can Solve This Case Like A Detective / IFESINACHI Abducted Christian Girl Returned To Enugu.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.