Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,632 members, 7,809,367 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:21 AM

5 Lies You Need To STOP Telling Yourself As A Site Owner - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / 5 Lies You Need To STOP Telling Yourself As A Site Owner (21461 Views)

Any Whatsapp Or Facebook Group For New Site Owner And How To Get Traffic / If You Are A Blogger/webmaster Or Site Owner This's For You / Am A Site Owner , Please Can I Boost My Website Traffick On Google (pls Hlp) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Lies You Need To STOP Telling Yourself As A Site Owner by BlogOxygen: 5:55pm On Aug 28, 2015
Hello everyone, TGIF. How's your weekend plans going? Quickly, just because not every blog/site that went on break on Friday will live to see the next Monday morning, here are BlogOxygen's 5 things you need to STOP telling yourself as a blogger/site owner.

1. Sophistication is equal to monetization: This is totally false. Your site can have a very simple design, yet garner enough traffic and sales to drown some more sophisticated sites. It doesn't actually follow. Do you know Nairaland is one of the simplest looking sites and one of the richest in Nigeria?

2. I don't need to invest: Then go ahead and make the money. There's no biz that doesn't require investments. Time and Energy expecially, over money. You'll write articles (probably pay writers), you'll pay for SEO, proofread your posts, etc. Investments are inevitable if you're a serious blogger/site owner.

3. I'll remain on free hosting: Don't let Linda Ikeji hear you say this one. Cyber Squatters are Real! Don't let the #2,500 or #3,000 you'll pay to get your domain name registered, put you in a situation like our dear Linda in future, where you are stuck with your .whatever.com or pay cyber squatters a hefty chunk to redeem your domain name.

4. I'll write all my posts myself: Without trying to "cheap-advertise" here, pls try to be realistic. You would have to pay writers at one point or the other, if you're a serious "looking-to-make-money" blogger. Else, the "after-publishing" tasks of sharing the link on social media, IM publicity, newsletter (for those who send), etc. would definitely wear you out and drain your passion. Except you're a weekly or monthly(period) blogger. Top bloggers know this and so should you.

5. It's been three months. I should've started making the money: Come take a hug. You must have probably read one of those "Make $1,000 in three weeks" ebook and started blogging - sorry about that. You see, there's more to blogging than the Info Marketer explained. But he needs to make his own money too. Doesn't he?... You can even spend six months without making a dime but don't let those months go to waste. Use it to build trust between you and your prospects. Use it to network your blog with other top ones in your niche. It's a matter of once the money starts coming in, it'll be worth the wait. Alright?

God bless every blogger/site owner reading this.

Cheers to your blogging success, be safe and have a great weekend.

Yours,
BlogOxygen.

32 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 5 Lies You Need To STOP Telling Yourself As A Site Owner by Nobody: 6:03pm On Aug 28, 2015
This is interesting
Re: 5 Lies You Need To STOP Telling Yourself As A Site Owner by Julius2214(m): 6:14pm On Aug 28, 2015
Thanks for the wonderful piece
Re: 5 Lies You Need To STOP Telling Yourself As A Site Owner by Ben1975(m): 6:33pm On Aug 28, 2015
Great post

Most wannabe online business people seem to feel that working daily to grow your business is the same as catching a contagious disease.
Re: 5 Lies You Need To STOP Telling Yourself As A Site Owner by jideprof: 6:58pm On Aug 28, 2015
Great Post Bro!

Another Big Lie Is The Fact That Many Newbie Bloggers, After Hitting The Publish Button, The Money Starts Gushing In! grin Hilarious!

2 Likes

Re: 5 Lies You Need To STOP Telling Yourself As A Site Owner by Nobody: 9:13pm On Aug 28, 2015
Nice info. Without passion. U won't succeed in blogging no matter how hard u try. That's the bitter truth.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Lies You Need To STOP Telling Yourself As A Site Owner by y4code(m): 9:48pm On Aug 28, 2015
how do you start blogging and how do you register your domain how much im hoping ton open one for my business any info i will be greatful
Re: 5 Lies You Need To STOP Telling Yourself As A Site Owner by BlogOxygen: 7:11am On Aug 29, 2015
y4code:
how do you start blogging and how do you register your domain how much im hoping ton open one for my business any info i will be greatful

Starting to blog is a simple feat, really. Maintaining the blog is the hard part since most ppl are not adequately informed about the investment aspect of blogging. You can start a blog on either WordPress or Blogger Platform.
Registering your domain name doesn't cost an arm and a tooth. Once you have a genuine person to guide you through.
If you want to start a blog for your "business", then great! The problem of niche selection is solved. Send us a mail and let's see how we can help you get started.
Thanks.
Re: 5 Lies You Need To STOP Telling Yourself As A Site Owner by philemonokukwe: 8:21am On Aug 29, 2015
what are the lies

1 Like

Re: 5 Lies You Need To STOP Telling Yourself As A Site Owner by Nobody: 10:58am On Aug 29, 2015
I like your writing style, sounds like a responsible adult.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Lies You Need To STOP Telling Yourself As A Site Owner by Ben1975(m): 12:24pm On Aug 29, 2015
If you start blogging for the purpose of making money you may never find it. But if you go into blogging to delight, engage your readers money will find you.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Lies You Need To STOP Telling Yourself As A Site Owner by BlogOxygen: 3:10pm On Aug 29, 2015
philemonokukwe:
what are the lies
They are plainly spelt out above.
Re: 5 Lies You Need To STOP Telling Yourself As A Site Owner by BlogOxygen: 3:11pm On Aug 29, 2015
Ben1975:
If you start blogging for the purpose of making money you may never find it. But if you go into blogging to delight, engage your readers money will find you.
It's quite a technical thing. There are people who started blogging with the aim of making money and they're indeed making it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Lies You Need To STOP Telling Yourself As A Site Owner by henryobinna(m): 5:06pm On Aug 29, 2015
Ben1975:
If you start blogging for the purpose of making money you may never find it . But if you go into blogging to delight, engage your readers money will find you.
trust me,
This is not really true,
Wether you go into blogging cos of money or not does not determine wether you'll find or make the money.

What determines wether you'll make money from your blog or not depends on how you manage and handle your blog.

As a,matter of fact, one who goes into blogging for the money stands the chance of making money than the other. Why?
Cos he'll see the blog as a business which require investment and a little patience.

While the passion blogger will be there waiting and be patient for the rest of his life believing that his passion is enough to draw the money close.

abeg I done tire to dey type.in a nutshell see your blog as a business(invest in and advertise your budiness) and you're definitely gonna make money.

1 Like

Re: 5 Lies You Need To STOP Telling Yourself As A Site Owner by Julius2214(m): 6:03pm On Aug 29, 2015
I love the comments am seeing here.
Like the poster above said, Your intentions of setting up a blog just to make money does not actually determine whether you'll make the money or not.

But you should understand that, making money is not the next thing after successfully setting up your blog.

I could remember setting up a blog for someone some time ago, and the next thing the person asked was "how will I start placing adverts?". Can you imagine that?

Blogging requires zeal, commitment, passion and determination. Before you start making money, you should have a number of loyal readers of your blog.

Blogging can be simple and complex at the same time.

You can always contact me for your blogging needs

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Lies You Need To STOP Telling Yourself As A Site Owner by BlogOxygen: 2:21pm On Aug 30, 2015
henryobinna:
trust me,
This is not really true,
Wether you go into blogging cos of money or not does not determine wether you'll find or make the money.

What determines wether you'll make money from your blog or not depends on how you manage and handle your blog.

As a,matter of fact, one who goes into blogging for the money stands the chance of making money than the other. Why?
Cos he'll see the blog as a business which require investment and a little patience.

Rightly said there. Money just shouldn't be the core focus as passion might be affected.
Re: 5 Lies You Need To STOP Telling Yourself As A Site Owner by Nobody: 11:14pm On Aug 30, 2015
Pls take a look at my blog, www.starttells.com pls may i know if there is anyway i can monetize from it as tis not self hosted yet.
Also, must one pay on wordpress, unlike blogger to map a custom domain?
Thanks
Re: 5 Lies You Need To STOP Telling Yourself As A Site Owner by resultcase(m): 12:27am On Aug 31, 2015
Nice Write up
Re: 5 Lies You Need To STOP Telling Yourself As A Site Owner by resultcase(m): 12:28am On Aug 31, 2015
Bossforeva:
Pls take a look at my blog, www.starttells.com pls may i know if there is anyway i can monetize from it as tis not self hosted yet.
Also, must one pay on wordpress, unlike blogger to map a custom domain?
Thanks

I'll advice you buy hosting for your wordpress blog. You cant map like in blogger
Re: 5 Lies You Need To STOP Telling Yourself As A Site Owner by BlogOxygen: 9:47am On Aug 31, 2015
Julius2214:

I could remember setting up a blog for someone some time ago, and the next thing the person asked was "how will I start placing adverts?". Can you imagine that?

Blogging requires zeal, commitment, passion and determination. Before you start making money, you should have a number of loyal readers of your blog.

Blogging can be simple and complex at the same time.
Rightly said there. Newbies wants to make the cash but boycott the efforts. Quite funny.
Re: 5 Lies You Need To STOP Telling Yourself As A Site Owner by tessylove2(f): 4:53pm On Aug 31, 2015
Nice one
Re: 5 Lies You Need To STOP Telling Yourself As A Site Owner by ladyF(f): 4:54pm On Aug 31, 2015
Educating...

Let me go and register ladyf.com *brb* grin
Re: 5 Lies You Need To STOP Telling Yourself As A Site Owner by BlogOxygen: 8:34pm On Aug 31, 2015
lalasticlala:

Its not on the blog u posted below. I checked. Anyway. Cool

Much Thanks. Posts on www.blogoxygen.com are of better quality and to avoid BlogOxygen doubling with Nairaland during our monthly site evaluation, we may not be able to put the same posts on both BO and NL.
Re: 5 Lies You Need To STOP Telling Yourself As A Site Owner by BlogOxygen: 8:40pm On Aug 31, 2015
ladyF:
Educating...

Let me go and register ladyf.com *brb* grin
Alright. Good idea.
Re: 5 Lies You Need To STOP Telling Yourself As A Site Owner by Chillinmasoul(m): 7:01pm On Sep 01, 2015
Beautiful.... HnM y'all
Re: 5 Lies You Need To STOP Telling Yourself As A Site Owner by yomalex(m): 8:13pm On Sep 01, 2015
Important

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Google's Most Searched Words In Nigeria / Anyalekwa Of Igbere TV Building A House After DSS Arrest (Pics) / How Do I Insert Hyperlinks In A Nairaland Post?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.