Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,952 members, 7,835,176 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:38 AM

13 Words You Shoud Avoid To Sound Smarter - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 13 Words You Shoud Avoid To Sound Smarter (874 Views)

13 Words That Do Not Exist In Our Nigerian Parents’ Vocabulary" / 23 Genius Quotes From Albert Einstein That Will Make You Sound Smarter / The First 3 Words You See Will Define How 2016 Will Be. (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

13 Words You Shoud Avoid To Sound Smarter by busterr(m): 2:00pm On Aug 29, 2015
THAT When you add "that" to describe something it is an unnecessary word, you can move the description before the term and make it sound much better almost in every case. In many other cases, "that" can simply be replaced with a more descriptive term.
WENT There are so many verbs in English language! Why, why would you use "went" every time? Ran, driven, flew and so many others you can use. Be specific, for God's sake!
HONESTLY When you add "honestly" in one of the sentences you want to make sure the reader believes you. But they think that one sentence is honest and others - not. Not so good, right?
ABSOLUTELY "Last week was an absolutely awful week" - nope, this sentence is awful, not the week. Can you see it? The word "absolutely" is so unnecessary here - it's hurts me physically. Now cut it out: "Last week was an awful week" - week didn't started to be less awful, but the sentence did.
REALLY Remember: a REALLY great swimmer is the same as a great swimmer. If you need to emphasize something, such as the "greatness" of a swimmer, use a single word that means what you are trying to say. Excellent for example. This word doesn't help readers to develop a better sense of what you describing. Erase it.
VERY Did you know the word "very" has been called one of the most useless words in the English language? Writers use it to magnify another word. In conversation, people use the word frequently, but in written content it’s unnecessary. Think about the difference between saying a rock is “hard” and “very hard,” for example.
AMAZING Avoid overstating how special a person, thing, or event is. There are so many synonyms of this word you can use. And the word "amazing" is so overused. When everything is amazing - nothing is. Ditch this diluted word.
ALWAYS / NEVER Absolutes either lock a writer into a position or give the appearance of conceit. Use these words when the absolute is a command or instruction. Or replace it.
LITERALLY People often confuse literally with figuratively. Usually, though, if you say it's "literally a jungle out there," you probably mean figuratively, but you're probably better off without either word
JUST The word "just" doesn't add any real value to these sentences. Leaving them out results in the same meanings and makes the sentences much tighter and more direct. The word “just” is a filler word that weakens your writing.
Re: 13 Words You Shoud Avoid To Sound Smarter by Nobody: 3:20pm On Aug 29, 2015
HONESTLY, This Article is JUST very stupid. It seems the writer has LITERALLY lost his mind.

2 Likes

Re: 13 Words You Shoud Avoid To Sound Smarter by Logicalsoul(m): 6:31pm On Aug 29, 2015
honestly i think the op just want us to communicate in our local dialect...hehehehehehehehhee
Re: 13 Words You Shoud Avoid To Sound Smarter by charijee(f): 9:39pm On Aug 29, 2015
Honestly, this makes no sense....op is high on alomo bitters grin
Re: 13 Words You Shoud Avoid To Sound Smarter by phayvoursky(m): 10:07pm On Aug 29, 2015
I HONESTLY THINK YOU AIN'T SMART OP.

NO SMARTASS COMES UP WITH THIS POO

(1) (Reply)

See What I Used For Stew And Pepper Soup This Xmas "Change " / - / Add Me On BBM I Post Picture's That Strengths The Soul

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.