Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,201 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:20 PM

A Friend Uploaded Gerara Here Video On Instagram — Francis Odega - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / A Friend Uploaded Gerara Here Video On Instagram — Francis Odega (2002 Views)

Francis Odega Supports Nnamdi Kanu And Biafra / Cossy Orjiakor With Mercy Aigbe & Francis Odega On A Movie Set / Chinedu "Aki" With Francis Odega At Armstaderm Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Friend Uploaded Gerara Here Video On Instagram — Francis Odega by cccxxiii: 5:24pm On Aug 30, 2015
Known for his wittiness, Nollywood actor, Francis Odega, is currently enjoying a brand-new fame. He speaks about his career and industry

Your Gerara Here comedy skit on Instagram has caught on like wild fire on social media.

I am pleasantly surprised that just one scene from a movie, which I starred in three years ago, has suddenly brought me so much attention and fame. The three-part movie was titled Welcome to South, Back from South and Agony of South. It was shot in South Africa and Nigeria. I acted alongside Imeh Bishop and Dede One Day.

Why is the movie suddenly trending three years after its release?

I don’t really know why it has taken the movie three years to garner this sort of recognition. I joined Instagram two months ago, after some social media-savvy friends of mine played the Gerara Here video, which was posted on Instagram for me. The number of comments that trailed the post blew me away and I decided to join the platform almost immediately. Within a month, I had 3000 followers and currently have 18,600 fans.

How did you feel when 50 Cents posted the skit on his Instagram page?

It was an indescribable feeling and I also felt honoured when he began following me on Instagram. Snoop Dogg also followed suit shortly after. Both artistes are obviously huge fans of mine. Don Jazzy, PSquare, Patoranking, M.I, Sound Sultan and many other Nigerian music stars also follow me on social media.

Has this fame translated into more money or jobs for you?

It sure has as telecoms company, Etisalat, recently made me its ambassador because of the attention I have been receiving. I recently had a photoshoot for the billboards and will shoot the television commercial for the brand very soon. The concept of the billboard adverts revolves around the ‘Gerara Here’ concept.

Can you tell us more about the movie, which has brought you so much fame?

I played the role of a Nigerian, who travelled to South Africa for the first time and returned to the country with an accent. I thoroughly enjoyed playing the role because I had the freedom to express myself just the way I loved to. Gerara Here was not originally included in the script; it was my coinage. I didn’t know it would go viral years after I created it.

Tell us about your foray into acting?

I have been an actor for over two decades. While I was in secondary school, my family and I lived very close to the premises of the Enugu State Broadcasting Service. I loved going to the station to observe the staff at work and found myself being drawn to the arts.

What did you study in school?

I studied Economics despite my passion for acting and I have never worked in any industry aside from Nollywood. I have no regrets about being an actor because movies pay my bills. I have featured in over 300 movies since 1996 when I earned my debut role. I started out as an extra in a movie titled Apama and it made me famous. I played Apama, a prince who attended the university with a bodyguard.

Which is your most challenging movie role yet?

It has to be a 2013 Ghanaian comedy flick titled House of Gold. I learnt to speak and act like a Ghanaian and it was quite challenging and exciting at the same time.

How much do you charge to feature in movies?

I can’t disclose what my fees are; it is dependent on the nature of the script and demands of the character in a movie. The script serves as a guide and I also improvise and embellish the character as long as it doesn’t deviate from the original thrust of the script. I have been lucky to have the directors that allow me the creative freedom to explore my talent.

Are you selective of roles because of your current status?

I am now a star, so I am selective of the roles I am asked to play in movies. If I am unsatisfied with a movie script, I won’t partake in it irrespective of the amount of money I am offered. I have gone international; I recently shot a movie in the United States of America entitled John Bosco in US. I describe myself as a Hollywood and Nollywood actor

As a comic actor, are you taken seriously?

People are never able to tell when I am serious whenever I approach them. Thankfully, I cannot be bothered because comedy allows me provide for my family and live a comfortable life.

Is your wife supportive of your career?

Yes, she is and I met her at a show I compeered. She confessed to me that she was a huge fan of mine and we exchanged phone numbers. That was how we became friends. Though she tried to be a bit difficult, after some persistence on my part, she agreed and we started going out. We have been married for 11 years. I don’t quarrel with my wife for real because I genuinely love her.

Have you ever felt challenged by a script?

I am a natural actor so the script always almost determines my performance. I possess the ability to turn a bad script into a good one by infusing a few lines. I have absolutely no challenges when faced with a comedy script because it’s my forte.

What are your thoughts on Nollywood?

Our industry has become an all comers affair and this has taken a huge toll on the sector and watered down the level of professionalism. This is one of the reasons why the Nigerian audience still does not take us seriously. On the flip side, the likes of Okey Bakasi, Richard Mofe-Damijo, Bob- Manuel Udokwu and Kanayo O Kanayo have been invited to work with top public office holders and this is good for Nollywood.

Why is it that some of your colleagues still live in penury?

They make money but they have so many responsibilities and I don’t believe that an actor must depend on acting alone. You must plan for the rainy day and have something you can fall back on just in case acting doesn’t pay. Social media has been has been very good for our acting careers and has brought us fame and money. I get to interact more with my fans on social media and any actor, who feels Instagram invades his or her privacy, can leave the platform.

What was growing up like?

I had a difficult childhood; some were born with silver, golden or a wooden spoon but I was born with none of these.

What inspires you?

God, Nkem Owoh and the late Sam Loco Efe inspire me. The latter brought me up in the industry and I met him while on a location. I wasn’t an actor when I met him for the first time but I almost served as his personal assistant because I carried his bag along with him wherever he went.He soon began mentoring me and encouraged me to become an actor. I recall the day he died vividly. I was on a movie set in Lagos when I received a text message which read, “Sam Loco died an hour ago in Owerri.” I stopped acting and cried profusely like a baby and I was unable to complete the shoot that day.

http://www.punchng.com/spice/local-entertainment/a-friend-uploaded-gerara-here-video-on-instagram-francis-odega/

Re: A Friend Uploaded Gerara Here Video On Instagram — Francis Odega by victor2fresh(m): 5:25pm On Aug 30, 2015
Re: A Friend Uploaded Gerara Here Video On Instagram — Francis Odega by Chirolechick: 7:32pm On Aug 30, 2015
Gerara here grin

(1) (Reply)

Shocking!!! See A Girl Born Without A Forehead / Sexy Throwback Model Pictures Of Millionaire Blogger Linda Ikeji / Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu's Son's Wedding Today At The Palace Of Oba Of Lagos.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.