Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:02 AM

Need Medication And Dosage For Home Nebulizer Kit - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Need Medication And Dosage For Home Nebulizer Kit (1022 Views)

You Don't Need Medication, Just Boil These Leaves And Solve Diabetes Problems / The Dangers Of Self-medication And Treatment [part 1] - Doctorsoffice.ng / How To Use Black Seed/oil (dosage) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Need Medication And Dosage For Home Nebulizer Kit by gists: 1:33pm On Aug 31, 2015
centje and all the docs in the house.
I have an issue I hope you all can help me with.
My child (6+ yrs) has been visiting the hospital an average of once a month for over a year. What usually take him to the hospital is his relatively heavy breathing (in most cases accompanied by cough - especially in the night). And he always has running/stuffy nose. Funny enough, ALL the doctors say they are reluctant to declare him asthmatic. That kids of his age sometimes get over the condition and live like any other person. Even a consultant said its allergy (or is it allergen?)

In all cases (i.e past trips to the hospital), the doctors place him on nebulizer (one or two rounds) after listening to his chest and he will be fine for like another 30 days or thereabout before he begins to experience heavy breathing again.

Now this is where I need help: I have been told (and I have read online) that I can buy home nebulizer kit to treat him during such very odd hours like in the middle of the night when the cough and heavy breathing become uncomfortable.
But my fear is the composition and the dosage of the drugs to put in the nebulizer. I have no idea what medicine to buy and what dosage to use for such home emergency treatment. To make matters worse, there seem to be zero information on this online.
Your help will be highly appreciated.
Re: Need Medication And Dosage For Home Nebulizer Kit by Nobody: 8:16pm On Aug 31, 2015
gists.

The best person to have a conclusive advice and treatment still remains the Doctor who is physically in touch with the child, especially the consultant, whom I believe is a paediatrician.

However, from your description, the child most likely has an Allergic condition, and the trigger factors include cold weather, it occurs mostly in the night because the coldest part of the day is usually the night, other factors would be considered before I could say he has asthma, but treatment with bronchiodilators like salbutamol in nebules, as you described, is an important factor in diagnosis of asthma.

Now, since you never described a life threatening episode since the illness started, there may not be any need for a nebuliser, rather he can be on inhaler with spacer. To be given during the 'attack'. If the severity is considered to be increasing then he can be on steroid.

Secondly, cover him very well and avoid exposing him to cold especially at night. Also discover other trigger factors like mold in the house, remove rug in the living room and their play ground and replace with tile or simply carpet.

Make sure the child get immediate treatment for common illnesses like malaria, common Cold, diarrhoea diseases, also ensure the child is not underweight, overweight or obese, so avoid malnutrition, also don't expose the child to smoke from cooking, cigarette etc.

In conclusion, please, go back to the paediatric consultant and discuss with him, bare your mind. He will advice you well and direct you on the best approach, he is the one physical in contact with the child and has his full clinical features.

If you have any further questions to ask, feel free.

Cheers!

(1) (Reply)

Onitsha Becomes Number One In The World For PM10 Pollution / Nigerian Scientist Discovers Cure For Diabetics, Hepatitis, Others / How I Survived High Pcv(polycytemia)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.