Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,224 members, 7,822,138 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:14 AM

Mn-sen: Coleman Finally Concedes - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Mn-sen: Coleman Finally Concedes (703 Views)

Between Hillary Clinton And Sen. Sanders Who Stands A Better Chance Of Winning / Nicolas Sarkozy Concedes Defeat To Francois Hollande In French Pres. Election / President Abdoulaye Wade Concedes Defeat In Senegalese Poll. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mn-sen: Coleman Finally Concedes by SHENANIGAN(m): 4:41am On Apr 02, 2009
MN-SEN: Coleman finally concedes
by Jed Lewison
Share this on Twitter - MN-SEN: Coleman finally concedes Wed Apr 01, 2009 at 07:20:04 PM PDT
One hundred forty-seven days after Minnesota's Senate election, and 86 days after the certification, it's finally over: Norm Coleman has thrown in the towel and conceded defeat.

Daily Kos has learned that Coleman made his concession in a telephone conversation with Al Franken, who expects to be seated later this week.

Via Politico, here's a roundup of some reaction to the news:

DSCC Chairman Charles Schumer publicly accepted Coleman's concession for Senate Democrats. "I never fucking thought that idiot would concede," Schumer said, "but he did."

RNC Chairman Michael Steele hailed the concession as a victory for the GOP. "This opens up a fresh new Senate seat for us to target in 2014," Steele said.

Mark Halperin at TIME echoed Steele's thoughts. "This gracious act by Norm Coleman clearly means that John McCain won the week -- I don't see how you can argue this turn of events any other way."

David Broder saw the potential for a more a bipartisan triumph. "It would be really smart politics for Franken to join the Republican Party," Broder said. "It would be a grand gesture recognizing that a lot of people voted for the guy who got less votes. As a former Democrat, a Republican Al Franken would be uniquely positioned to achieve the bipartisan status quo that marked the eight years of Bush's presidency."

For his part, Coleman said that by conceding he was finally making good on his election night promise to accept the judgment of voters. "I now accept that when voters chose change, they meant change in the Senate, not that they wanted someone to change their votes."
Re: Mn-sen: Coleman Finally Concedes by SeanT21(f): 4:47am On Apr 02, 2009
Thank GOD!! wink
Re: Mn-sen: Coleman Finally Concedes by preselect(m): 9:54pm On Apr 02, 2009
lol, this is april fool's info right? grin

i hear you cheesy
Re: Mn-sen: Coleman Finally Concedes by Nobody: 1:03am On Apr 03, 2009
i knew it was a lie when i saw the "via politico" stuff.

(1) (Reply)

This Is An Insult To Mr Obama / Video: Nypd Officers Hitting It Hard With West Indiana Parade Dancers / Nato Convoy Attacked In Kabul: 13 Foreign Troops killed.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.