Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,788 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:31 AM

Nigeria Win First Ever Continental Title In Basketball, Qualify For Rio Olympics - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Win First Ever Continental Title In Basketball, Qualify For Rio Olympics (522 Views)

Nigerian Fan And Iceland Fan Exchange Jerseys After Nigeria's Win / Olga Diyachenko Celebrates Nigeria’s Win Over Cameroon / USA Beat Nigeria 110-66 In Basketball Pre-Olympic Friendly Game (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Win First Ever Continental Title In Basketball, Qualify For Rio Olympics by robosky02(m): 5:04pm On Sep 01, 2015
Nigeria’s national male basketball team, D’Tigers, have finally won a first ever FIBA Afrobasket Championship on Sunday night, in Tunisia, after beat 10-time champions and arch-rivals, Angola 74-65.

D’Tigers lifting their trophy
By this victory, they have also qualified directly for the 2016 Rio Olympics, holding in Brazil.

Chamberlain Oguchi scored 19 points and was voted the Most Valuable Player of the tournament and was also named in the team of the tournament alongside teammate, Al-Farouq Aminu.

Oguchi was curtailed on his three-point shooting as he only made three, compared to the eight he made in the semifinal against Senegal.

The Angolans were very aggressive and made 33 fouls compared to just 14 from D’Tigers with the Nigerians also dominant on the glass with 60 rebounds – 24 offensively and 36 on the defensive end. Alade Aminu led the team in blocks with 12 and he added four points

Captain of the team, Olumide Oyedeji, had said the team was the most talented of the teams that came to Tunisia and that claim was justified even though one of their best players, Ike Diogu, did not play a single minute of the competition because of a twisted ankle.

Afterwards, Oluchi, the MVP, said: “It’s the best moment of my life, to be able to come here after missing the last AfroBasket, to be able to come here and do this with my brothers, it feels amazing.

“I’m happy to be able to share this moment with them and for me personally, it’s just really great.”

It is also a great triumph for the coach of the team, William Voigt, who was named the substantive coach of the team just in July and he has fulfilled the first part of his contract, which was to qualify the team for Rio.

He will now be expected to prepare the team to do better in Brazil.

Recall that Nigeria had on Saturday, beaten their Senegalese opponent 88-79 in overtime to reach their first FIBA finals. This was after they defeated Gabon 88-64, last Thursday, to qualify for the semi-finals.

cc: lalasticlala

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/08/nigeria-wins-first-ever-continental-title-in-basketball-qualifies-for-rio-olympics/

Re: Nigeria Win First Ever Continental Title In Basketball, Qualify For Rio Olympics by robosky02(m): 5:11pm On Sep 01, 2015
this guys need to be celebrated as much as we celebrate the super eagles
Re: Nigeria Win First Ever Continental Title In Basketball, Qualify For Rio Olympics by legendboy(m): 5:15pm On Sep 01, 2015
Hope PMB appoints them frm d north
Re: Nigeria Win First Ever Continental Title In Basketball, Qualify For Rio Olympics by robosky02(m): 5:21pm On Sep 01, 2015
legendboy:
Hope PMB appoints them frm d north

this is lovely basketball not politics

just enjoy

(1) (Reply)

Okagbare Goes For Maximum Points In 100m Final At Zurich Diamond League! / Emmanuel Adebayor: My Pastor Told Me To Stay At Spurs / Withdraw Upto N5000 Tomorrow With Just N1000 Stake Today.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.