Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,879 members, 7,817,591 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:07 PM

Question On Driveway Gate - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Question On Driveway Gate (2457 Views)

Get This Unique Patio/driveway At Pocket Friendly Rates. / Quick Question On Roof Space Utility / Shocking Warnings On A Gate In FCT (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Question On Driveway Gate by Nobody: 12:43pm On Sep 02, 2015
This issue would be totally solved by using a sliding gate but I abhor them.

So the question, can a one piece 12 feet wide gate be supported/hinged only on one side off of one pillar? And I guess can one pillar hold the weight of a one piece 12 feet wide gate?
Re: Question On Driveway Gate by mufutau55(m): 2:01pm On Sep 02, 2015
EgunMogaji:
So the question, can a one piece 12 feet wide gate be supported/hinged only on one side off of one pillar?
And I guess can one pillar hold the weight of a one piece 12 feet wide gate?

I guess it will depend on the weight of the gate not just the width. Also depends on if the gate is bars or solid closed gate.
I have seen where on pillar held an one gate like that before but not sure about the weight.

Note: Also think about the clearance of opening a 12 feet gate wide...

Hajji M.
Re: Question On Driveway Gate by FastShipping: 2:31pm On Sep 02, 2015
EgunMogaji:

So the question, can a one piece 12 feet wide gate be supported/hinged only on one side off of one pillar? And I guess can one pillar hold the weight of a one piece 12 feet wide gate?

I haven't seen anyone against using a sliding gate before. Get a well designed sliding gate. You will love it.
Re: Question On Driveway Gate by brabus(m): 3:00pm On Sep 02, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Talk to Nevosys Automatic Gate 07033992255. He's on nairaland. What you need is automatic swing gate operator.

1 Like

Re: Question On Driveway Gate by Nobody: 4:29pm On Sep 02, 2015
FastShipping:

I haven't seen anyone against using a sliding gate before. Get a well designed sliding gate. You will love it.

Now you've seen one grin

Had one on another house but it doesn't fit the look that I'm going for on this one.
Re: Question On Driveway Gate by FastShipping: 4:33pm On Sep 02, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Now you've seen one grin

Had one on another house but it doesn't feet the look that I'm going for on this one.

grin grin grin

I like non-motorized sliding gates. The ones with motors are not dependable. There is going to be a day you won't be able to get in with a motorized gate at 2am in the morning.

1 Like

Re: Question On Driveway Gate by Nobody: 4:40pm On Sep 02, 2015
brabus:

Talk to Nevosys Automatic Gate 07033992255. He's on nairaland. What you need is automatic swing gate operator.

I'll be installing a solar powered gate opener but will bring it over from the U.S. The gate's going to be a fair distance from the house.

1 Like

Re: Question On Driveway Gate by Nobody: 4:42pm On Sep 02, 2015
FastShipping:

grin grin grin

I like non-motorized sliding gates. The ones with motors are not dependable. There is going to be a day you won't be able to get in with a motorized gate at 2am in the morning.

Sir, in Nigeria at 2am I'll be staying at the nearest hotel not trailing home invaders home grin

2 Likes

Re: Question On Driveway Gate by Nobody: 4:43pm On Sep 02, 2015
mufutau55:

I guess it will depend on the weight of the gate not just the width. Also depends on if the gate is bars or solid closed gate.
I have seen where on pillar held an one gate like that before but not sure about the weight.

Note: Also think about the clearance of opening a 12 feet gate wide...

Hajji M.

Yeah I'll have to find a way to make it less portly. I have loads of clearance for the swing.
Re: Question On Driveway Gate by brabus(m): 5:13pm On Sep 02, 2015
FastShipping:

grin grin grin

Motorized gate is the way to go. I just can't imagine my life without one especially when you activate all the features. My setup is solar powered with 200amp battery backup.

Also, the operator can be switched into manual mode within 30 seconds should there be need to operate manual.
Re: Question On Driveway Gate by FastShipping: 5:58pm On Sep 02, 2015
brabus:

Motorized gate is the way to go. I just can't imagine my life without one especially when you activate all the features. My setup is solar powered with 200amp battery backup.

Also, the operator can be switched into manual mode within 30 seconds should there be need to operate manual.

What did it cost you?
Re: Question On Driveway Gate by brabus(m): 6:32pm On Sep 02, 2015
FastShipping:

What did it cost you?

Gate operator - 180k (Centurion by Nevosys)
Sunkam Inverter system and Solar panel to power all the light points, sockets, refrigerator, and the gate operator - 350k

Batteries been the most expensive part of the setup.
Re: Question On Driveway Gate by kopell: 6:34pm On Sep 02, 2015
FastShipping:

What did it cost you?
can you show us sample of the once you did, and efficient are they.
Re: Question On Driveway Gate by FastShipping: 6:35pm On Sep 02, 2015
kopell:

I never said I did any.
Re: Question On Driveway Gate by kopell: 6:44pm On Sep 02, 2015
FastShipping:

I never said I did any.
sorry my question is to Brabus. That not cheap for what he just post.
Re: Question On Driveway Gate by brabus(m): 6:54pm On Sep 02, 2015
kopell:

By now, you should have noticed I'm not really keen about doing finishes for people. All I'm telling you are installed in personal projects. I can only suggest it to clients. Although all our projects are wired inverter ready but we all have individual differences. Some people are comfortable with 500kva generator sitting in their generator house as baba Alaye concern.

Efficiency! 100%. People in Ikota shopping complex can attest to the fact that electricity is always on at NextHome|H52 and we don't have any generator. Though it's a small setup but functional.

The secret is I don't overload my system. All my lights, except streetlight/floodlight on the electricity pole, are Phillps energy saving bulbs. No be Alaba make o. I got them from UK.

The whole system in the house is wired inverter ready. No AC even though the setup can support 1 AC but I have air humidifiers and rechargeable fan both in the office and at home.

Unfortunately, I'm not in the Chateau now and I couldn't take picture of the Setup with the nice enclosure they made for it. Bought it on Konga.com

I promise to get the picture on this thread.

Maybe I got lucky sha.
Re: Question On Driveway Gate by brabus(m): 7:08pm On Sep 02, 2015
kopell:
sorry my question is to Brabus. That not cheap for what he just post.

Sir kopell,

The word cheap is relative. I'm happy for to tell you the setup has paid for itself within 6 months of use. Not only was I able to cut of my generators completely, I also notice drastic reduction in electricity bill.

For the automatic gate operator, the comfort and security is enough for me. I don't have to keep a whole man in the house with my family just because he can open gate. Or could it be something is wrong with me?

I just don't get it. The cheapest amount you pay a gateman is 25k. I've had the system running for 2 years now. If I'm paying 20k per month for 2 years. That's over like half a million for something that can be automated.
Even when I'm not around, the system can be remotely controlled.

Is it cheap? I can't really answer that but it's what a poor man like me just needed.

1 Like

Re: Question On Driveway Gate by Nobody: 7:09pm On Sep 02, 2015
brabus:

By now, you should have noticed I'm not really keen about doing finishes for people. All I'm telling you are installed in personal projects. I can only suggest it to clients. Although all our projects are wired inverter ready but we all have individual differences. Some people are comfortable with 500kva generator sitting in their generator house as baba Alaye concern.

Efficiency! 100%. People in Ikota shopping complex can attest to the fact that electricity is always on at NextHome|H52 and we don't have any generator. Though it's a small setup but functional.

The secret is I don't overload my system. All my lights, except streetlight/floodlight on the electricity pole, are Phillps energy saving bulbs. No be Alaba make o. I got them from UK.

The whole system in the house is wired inverter ready. No AC even though the setup can support 1 AC but I have air humidifiers and rechargeable fan both in the office and at home.

Unfortunately, I'm not in the Chateau now and I couldn't take picture of the Setup with the nice enclosure they made for it. Bought it on Konga.com

I promise to get the picture on this thread.

Maybe I got lucky sha.

I like your philosophy and your approach.

I'm building my house from scratch as a solar powered entity. The electrical cables will be specific for low voltage efficiency.

The west and east facing sides of my roof will offer a solar array to the sun and charge a bank of solar batteries (that'll be the money pit).

I'll have a small generator to maintain the batteries during low sun periods. Nothing kills these batteries more than that.

I'll have passive roof turbines to excavate any residual hear trapped in the ceilings. There will also be at least one or two (still studying the efficiency) wholehouse fans.

With careful tree planting by windows and the fact that I have a gaping hole of a 500 square foot central courtyard I think I'll be able to keep the house sufficiently cool with just fans.

My plan was chosen specifically because it was originally built for Mexico which has similar weather system like nigeria.

The only issue now is the blocks which is different from the 2x6 wood that that external walls were designed for.

Interestingly enough I've been told that the design of the hollow blocks acts like insulators of sorts.

Good stuff.

1 Like

Re: Question On Driveway Gate by Nobody: 7:11pm On Sep 02, 2015
brabus:

Sir kopell,

The word cheap is relative. I'm happy for to tell you the setup has paid for itself within 6 months of use. Not only was I able to cut of my generators completely, I also notice drastic reduction in electricity bill.

For the automatic gate operator, the comfort and security is enough for me. I don't have to keep a whole man in the house with my family just because he can open gate. Or could it be something is wrong with me?

I just don't get it. The cheapest amount you pay a gateman is 25k. I've had the system running for 2 years now. If I'm paying 20k per month for 2 years. That's over like half a million for something that can be automated.
Even when I'm not around, the system can be remotely controlled.

Is it cheap? I can't really answer that but it's what a poor man like me just needed.

A gateman/gateman house is the most ridiculous thing ever, imho. Except if it's a commercial entity with tenants on the premises.

With solar power and wifi one can practically control the house from anywhere in the world.

1 Like

Re: Question On Driveway Gate by brabus(m): 7:17pm On Sep 02, 2015
My proposed gen house is now been converted to outdoor living space.

2 Likes

Re: Question On Driveway Gate by abunafiu(m): 10:19pm On Sep 02, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I like your philosophy and your approach.

I'm building my house from scratch as a solar powered entity. The electrical cables will be specific for low voltage efficiency.

The west and east facing sides of my roof will offer a solar array to the sun and charge a bank of solar batteries (that'll be the money pit).

I'll have a small I generator to maintain the batteries during low sun periods. Nothing kills these batteries more than that.

I'll have passive roof turbines to excavate any residual hear trapped in the ceilings. There will also be at least one or two (still studying the efficiency) while house fans.

With careful tree planting by windows and the fact that I have a gaping hole of a 500 square foot central courtyard I think I'll be able to keep the house sufficiently cool with just fans.

My plan was chosen specifically because it was originally built for Mexico which has similar weather system like nigeria.

The only issue now is the blocks which is different from the 2x6 wood that that external walls were designed for.

Interestingly enough I've been told that the design of the hollow blocks acts like insulators of sorts.

Good stuff.

I would love to hear and learn more sir.

tx 4 d constant updates on various building threads.
Re: Question On Driveway Gate by Royal30: 1:33am On Sep 03, 2015
brabus:

Gate operator - 180k (Centurion by Nevosys)
Sunkam Inverter system and Solar panel to power all the light points, sockets, refrigerator, and the gate operator - 350k

Batteries been the most expensive part of the setup.
Im planning of doing same installation dis month
The solar system is it the same Nevosys that installed for you?
How many batteries/inverter Kva and does the system last you 24hrs?
Re: Question On Driveway Gate by acelaw: 10:17am On Sep 09, 2015
GET this Sliding Gates with the gate track and supporting beam for ONLY N50K

See PICS Below:

Re: Question On Driveway Gate by Nobody: 11:13am On Sep 09, 2015
acelaw:
GET this Sliding Gates with the gate track and supporting beam for ONLY N50K

See PICS Below:

I already offered you N500 delivered to Elebu, Ibadan.

(1) (Reply)

I smell a Rat, pls help!! Should I Allow Mtn Mast In My Property?? / Buy And Build At Arium Estate 100% dryland @n10m, Abijo Gra Ajah . / Spring Field Island Estate Lakowe Ibeju Lekki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.