Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,821 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:46 AM

Quick Question On Roof Space Utility - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Quick Question On Roof Space Utility (7327 Views)

Roofing Tile Tiles Roof @ NIGERIA Stone Coated Roofing Sheet ROOF Tiles TILE ... / Roof Doctors Australia Provide Service For Repair Leak On Roof / See The Amount My Dad Used To Roof His Building (25yrs Ago) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by jabolo(m): 12:59pm On Apr 19, 2017
Is there particular reason why our local architects don't specify the space between the roof rafters for additional rooms / storage or utilities? In other foreign climes, this is usually one cheap way of increasing the building acreage.

Happy to be educated.

See this example, lots of potential space ...
https://www.nairaland.com/3121761/step-step-construction-5-bedroom#45917596

1 Like

Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by KolaShangOne(m): 6:19pm On Apr 19, 2017
Our Architects do. That's why it's important to have a sit down with your Architect and tell him what you want and what you don't.

The major reason why Nigerians don't put living spaces in the roof is because of the WEATHER. Nigeria is very HOT.

We are talking between 27 to 35 degrees everyday. You won't even be able to breathe in the roof and you'll be sweating like the "Christmas goat"

As with home designs and living spaces, adaptability is the key word. we can't copy Europe bumper to bumper.

I hope this reply helps.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by jabolo(m): 12:32am On Apr 20, 2017
KolaShangOne:
Our Architects do. That's why it's important to have a sit down with your Architect and tell him what you want and what you don't.

The major reason why Nigerians don't put living spaces in the roof is because of the WEATHER. Nigeria is very HOT.

We are talking between 27 to 35 degrees everyday. You won't even be able to breathe in the roof and you'll be sweating like the "Christmas goat"

As with home designs and living spaces, adaptability is the key word. we can't copy Europe bumper to bumper.

I hope this reply helps.

It sure does. Thanks for taking the time.

I'd welcome examples in Nigeria, I just have not seen any.

I was not actually thinking in terms of 'copying Europe bumper to bumper' but more of efficient use of space.

Arizona (US) is hotter than many places in Nigeria but you do find lofts (or, Attics) gainfully employed in buildings. I'm sure ventilation can be carefully planned and the roofing material chosen to reduce the heat effect.

In my case, the original designs have been passed, and construction is in earnest as costed according to the original BoFQ. I'm thinking the conversion could be retrofitted later so, like you say, I'll talk to my Architect about what measures to put in place now.

2 Likes

Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by Nobody: 5:27am On Apr 20, 2017
jabolo:

I was not actually thinking in terms of 'copying Europe bumper to bumper' but more of efficient use of space.

Arizona (US) is hotter than many places in Nigeria but you do find lofts (or, Attics) gainfully employed in buildings. I'm sure ventilation can be carefully planned and the roofing material chosen to reduce the heat effect.

In my case, the original designs have been passed, and construction is in earnest as costed according to the original BoFQ. I'm thinking the conversion could be retrofitted later so, like you say, I'll talk to my Architect about what measures to put in place now.

I'm glad someone else brought it up because frankly, I was getting tired of folks thinking that Nigeria has a unique weather system.

Interestingly enough though, this high roof is not what we need in Nigeria. We need adobe type roofs in Arizona/Nevada/Spain and then we litter the tops with solar panels.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by sustainable: 7:23am On Apr 20, 2017
bre
Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by Castle88: 7:25am On Apr 20, 2017
K
Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by saydfact(m): 7:26am On Apr 20, 2017
The architect works on the client's brief... The level of client exposure is a major factor in what he requests and what u eventually design.

However, we're not a people who naturally think in that direction...

3 Likes

Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by money121(m): 7:28am On Apr 20, 2017
Nice thread

1 Like

Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by omogidi234(m): 7:28am On Apr 20, 2017
MOD. Tiri Gbosas for you oh! Not yet a significant discussion, yet on FP.
Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by Scatterscatter(m): 7:29am On Apr 20, 2017
I've seen houses in Nigeria that adopt such. For instance, my work place has such design. With a good air conditioning unit, you won't have any heat issues.

The issue is, most people aren't aware of such concept so they don't factor it in their requirements.

4 Likes

Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by money121(m): 7:34am On Apr 20, 2017
Contractor: *Ayyub*

Client: Nairalander

Material: *Aluminum (0.55mm thick)*

Style: *Metcoppo*

Colour:Traffic Black

*Roof:* 378sqm @ N2330/sqm = *N880,740*

*Flashing:* 47.5m @ N2150 = *N102,125*

*Accessories:* = *N30,000*
*Workmanship* =*N50,000*

Bending =#4,500
Transportation =#20,000

*Total* = *N1,087,365*

Call/WhatsApp 08085310359 for your next Roofing project

1 Like

Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by Nobody: 7:35am On Apr 20, 2017
VERIFIED AND AFFORDABLE LANDS FOR SALE AROUND AJAH

Oakwood Gardens: Lakowe, Ajah.
Description: 675sqm = #13.5M // 900sqm = #18M
Title: Governor's Consent

Oakwood Gardens phase 2
Description: 600sqm = #5.4M
Title: C of O

Destiny Gardens phase 1: Ibeju Lekki
Description: 600sqm = #5M
Title: Government's Excision

Destiny Gardens phase 2: Ibeju Lekki
Description: 600sqm = #4M
Title: Government's Excission

Legacy Gardens phase 1: Eleranigbe
Description: 600sqm = #3M

Legacy Gardens phase 2: Eleranigbe
Description: 600sqm = #3M

Oakwood Gardens phase 3: Ibeju Lekki
Description: 600sqm = #5M

Paradise Gardens: FTZ Ibeju Lekki
Description: 600sqm = #3.5M

Open Heavens phase 2: Eleranigbe
Description: 600sqm = #1.7M

Diamond Estate phase 1: Off Monastery road, Sangotedo, Ajah
Description: 600sqm = #7.7M

Trinity Gardens phase 2: Eleranigbe
Description: 600sqm = #1.4M

Atlantic Bay Estate: Behind May Fair Gardens, Awoyaya.
Description: 600sqm = #4.5M

Call/WhatsApp: +2348138718647; +2348023480776
info@naijapropertiesonline.com

www.naijapropertiesonline.com
Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by Truefederalism(m): 7:35am On Apr 20, 2017
Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by money121(m): 7:43am On Apr 20, 2017
Cool cool
Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by Truefederalism(m): 7:43am On Apr 20, 2017
vickzie:
As an architect, I have always wondered why my colleagues in the profession don't incorporate these kind of ideas in designs, the roof is a whole lot of space that can be utilized.
EgunMogaji:

I'm glad someone else brought it up because frankly, I was getting tired of folks thinking that Nigeria has a unique weather system.

Interestingly enough though, this high roof is not what we need in Nigeria. We need adobe type roofs in Arizona/Nevada/Spain and then we litter the tops with solar panels.

This your example will work perfectly in the North. In the South however, you will only be causing yourself heartache if you insist on this roof type. Flat roofs are not very sustainable in the South.
There are everyday cases of people in the south changing from their flat roofs to pitched. You should look at their reasons for that.

http://www.archfiler.com/design-errors-factors-to-avoid/

Scatterscatter:
I've seen houses in Nigeria that adopt such. For instance, my work place has such design. With a good air conditioning unit, you won't have any heat issues.

The issue is, most people aren't aware of such concept so they don't factor it in their requirements.

It will be wrong for any architect to design based on trend or on strict public expectation. Even when the clients demands something that we believe cannot work, it is our duty to advise him on why we should not include it.

When we design we factor a lot of things into our projects. This is why we get pissed when people say Architects just draw lines. There is psychology, culture, art, structure, cost, maintenance, material, religion, politics, etc to be considered in all designs.

You cannot plan a space in Nigeria without considering the long term effect of such spaces on its user. What if he does not have the capacity to run air conditioners? what if something happens and say, in the next 10 years he runs out of cash? This is not a place where you have or are guaranteed steady power supply.
The high roofs you see are both to protect the building and its occupants from both rain and sun, and heat. (even though I'm not a fan of the "send down the rain" pattern)

For the idea of utilizing roof space (incorporating attics), people do it here. I have done it also. You see it mostly in buildings; bungalow or otherwise that have some sort of pent floor, and where the roof is continuous and covers both pent floor and the other.

one problem we have down here is that most people, architects and clients inclusive, have become deeply engrossed in western and European designs. We forget that no two buildings are the same, and no two locations are the same also.
That it worked in Abuja is not a guarantee that it will work elsewhere, even in Lokoja.

If anything, what we should advocate is a minimalist approach to Pitches and not its total eradication.

7 Likes

Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by obinna2nv(m): 7:47am On Apr 20, 2017
Can someone give me the rough estimate cost of Reroofing a 6 bedroom bungalow with a sit out. Thanks.
Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by vickzie(m): 7:55am On Apr 20, 2017
As an architect, I have always wondered why my colleagues in the profession don't incorporate these kind of ideas in designs, the roof is a whole lot of space that can be utilized.

4 Likes

Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by vickzie(m): 7:56am On Apr 20, 2017
more

2 Likes

Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by vickzie(m): 7:57am On Apr 20, 2017
and more

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by DisGuy: 8:00am On Apr 20, 2017
Maybe because the houses are usually already over built and bigger than necessary...

some roofs are bigger than the main structure

4 Likes

Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by Mrjo(m): 8:00am On Apr 20, 2017
jabolo:

is a matter of choice our team hav done so many of that

1 Like

Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by texazzpete(m): 8:06am On Apr 20, 2017
KolaShangOne:

This is because we design our houses like prisons. Concrete edifices with tiny little windows. When the concrete-window ratio is like 99:1, why won't houses heat up, especially with limited cross-ventilation?

4 Likes

Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by Truefederalism(m): 8:09am On Apr 20, 2017
texazzpete:

This is because we design our houses like prisons. Concrete edifices with tiny little windows. When the concrete-window ratio is like 99:1, why won't houses heat up, especially with limited cross-ventilation?

lol. This is not entirely the fault of architects.
have you taken a look at the architecture of the houses our forefathers lived in. You should try comparing the structure to what we have today.
I think there was cultural adaptation along the line, and there are reasons why it was; security, privacy, ostentatious living, and a lot of other factors.
These things are changing though. Don't worry. When you are ready to build I believe your architect will not reject your proposal for an organic architecture.

1 Like

Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by Immorttal: 8:14am On Apr 20, 2017
Interesting and eye opening shocked

2 Likes

Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by DisGuy: 8:22am On Apr 20, 2017
It will be wrong for any architect to design based on trend or on strict public expectation

passed through an area in abuja, about 80% of the houses look the same! One would think they all use the same architect or perhaps they all used the same textbooks in university cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by joeleerules(m): 9:17am On Apr 20, 2017
jabolo:
Is there particular reason why our local architects don't specify the space between the roof rafters for additional rooms / storage or utilities? In other foreign climes, this is usually one cheap way of increasing the building acreage.

Happy to be educated.

See this example, lots of potential space ...
https://www.nairaland.com/3121761/step-step-construction-5-bedroom#45917596

Last year, in one of the buildings we erected the client asked for something like this but was used partly as the control room for the cctv, dstv and the luggage room, it was beautiful. I loved the idea but not at first though.

5 Likes

Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by Squillionaire: 9:23am On Apr 20, 2017
It's a good thing we are asking these questions now, they are too many buildings with kingpost as high as 6metres scatterd all over the place. This does nothing but increase the cost of roofing, materials and even diminish the character of the building, especially when taken in proportion to the overall height of the building.

5 Likes

Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by Nobody: 9:31am On Apr 20, 2017
Truefederalism:

This your example will work perfectly in the North. In the South however, you will only be causing yourself heartache if you insist on this roof type. Flat roofs are not very sustainable in the South.
There are everyday cases of people in the south changing from their flat roofs to pitched. You should look at their reasons for that.

http://www.archfiler.com/design-errors-factors-to-avoid/

It will be wrong for any architect to design based on trend or on strict public expectation. Even when the clients demands something that we believe cannot work, it is our duty to advise him on why we should not include it.

When we design we factors a lot of things into our projects. This is why we get pissed when people say Architects just draw lines. There is psychology, culture, art, structure, cost, maintenance, material, religion, politics, etc to be considered in all designs.

You cannot plan a space in Nigeria without considering the long term effect of such spaces on its user. What if he does not have the capacity to run air conditioners? what if something happens and say, in the next 10 years he runs out of cash? This is not a place where you have or are guaranteed steady power supply.
The high roofs you see are both to protect the building and its occupants from both rain and sun, and heat. (even though I'm not a fan of the "send down the rain" pattern)
For the idea of utilizing roof space (incorporating attics), people do it here. I have done it also. You see it mostly in buildings, bungalow or otherwise that have some sort of pent floor, and where the roof is continuous and covers both pent floor and the other.

If anything, what we should advocate is a minimalist approach to Pitches and not its total eradication.

This is what I'm talking about.

Shey e no dey rain in Arizona/Nevada/New Mexico ni?

1 Like

Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by jabolo(m): 9:33am On Apr 20, 2017
Mrjo:
is a matter of choice our team hav done so many of that
joeleerules:

Last year, in one of the buildings we erected the client asked for something like this but was used partly as the control room for the cctv, dstv and the luggage room, it was beautiful. I loved the idea but not at first though.

Thanks Guys, and good to know there are examples out there in Nigeria.

To the extent you could share details/designs/photos etc, it would be appreciated by this forum.

2 Likes

Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by Truefederalism(m): 9:39am On Apr 20, 2017
EgunMogaji:

This is what I'm talking about.

Shey e no dey rain in Arizona/Nevada/New Mexico ni?

what is the frequency and velocity of their rain?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Very important Estate Management Topics we should know / Classic 3bedroom Bungalow/flat Architectural Design For Half Plot Of Land / The Issues Of Building-Collapse In Nigeria: Recommended Solutions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.