Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,976 members, 7,952,935 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 07:43 AM

History As Nigeria Records First All-female Crew Flight - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / History As Nigeria Records First All-female Crew Flight (7884 Views)

Ethiopian Airlines First-ever All Female Operated Flight. / Kenya Airways All Female Crew. / Few Nigerians Work As Cabin-Crew On International Airlines? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

History As Nigeria Records First All-female Crew Flight by tamme: 7:16pm On Apr 02, 2009
smiley cheesy cool
[img]http://www.thisdayonline.com/img.php?id=3984[/img]

IT could be the airline's 50 years anniversary gift to Nigeria's robust air travel business. At exactly 2.28 p.m. yesterday, Nigerian women made a significant entry into the aviation industry when a flight of all-female crew of the pilot, co-pilot and cabin crew (all women) arrived in Lagos from Osubi Airport, Delta State. They flew a DASH 8 turbo prop aircraft. 

The plane owned by Nigeria's oldest carrier, Aero Contractors, had as crew members Capt. Bolaji Agbelusi, Captain Yop Wash, Jennifer Shodeinde and Catherine Ekanem (cabin crew).

The passengers, who later discovered that it was all-women crew screamed. Some of them wanted photographs with the crew for keeps but there was no room for that. One of the pilots simply described the historic trip as "all fun."

The crew members, who first flew from Lagos to Osubi at 11.55 a.m., returned at 2.28 p.m. (1428hrs) to a grand reception.

Their feat was also adjudged to be rare in Africa.

Speaking to journalists at the Murtala Muhammed Airport 2, Lagos, where they were received by the airline's top chiefs and other workers, Agbelusi described it as a normal flight, noting that the applause from the passengers was very encouraging.

"Everyone was excited about it. The passengers had no idea of what they were getting into, but they were happy to be part of history and on ground in Warri, they all wanted the photograph with the crew, but we could not afford that because we had to man the aircraft first, but a lot of them were very proud to be a part of this."

On how she is able to combine her career and matrimony, Cap. Agbelusi gave credit to "a supportive staff and a very supporting husband."

The flight captain said: "I thank God for making this day a reality, and I want to sincerely appreciate Aero for the kind support and training they have given me to achieve this feat. In our kind of environment this is certainly a difficult thing to achieve for a woman.

"This is an exciting and memorable day for me and my family - my husband and children - who also share in my joy."

Her husband Rev. Yemi Agbelusi, whom she described as "the chief instrument behind all this" and who was also in the plane, said: "We are partners in progress for the good of each other. I am not scared whenever she flies; it's just like everybody who goes to work. People die on Okada (commercial motorcycle) everyday, others die from armed robbers' bullets, there is actually nothing special about it. She is like everybody who goes to work.

"I was very happy when she told me that she will be the commander of the all-female crew. This only happens in a few countries in Africa, and also in America. So, it's another great achievement for Nigeria that our women are being liberated, our women are taking the front role and are being given the opportunity to be what they want to be. It's a plus for the women and all the non-governmental organisations (NGOs) that are struggling to give women a place in the society, I think it's a very good thing for them," he added.

The Director-General of the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA), Dr. Harold Demuren, who flew in from Abuja to witness "history being made," described it as encouraging, adding that it portends a great future for the country's burgeoning aviation industry.

"This is a great day for Nigeria. We have this aircraft coming from Osubi near Warri to Lagos airport, flown by an entire female crew. The captain, the first officer and the two-cabin crew are all women and I am happy about this. This is good for Nigeria."

Demuren, however, stated that plans were on to appeal to the Federal Government to set aside about 10 per cent of the $46 million Bilateral Air Services Agreement (BASA) fund for manpower development, particularly on training and retraining.

The BASA fund, which is money that accrued to the government on royalties from foreign airlines and other agreements through the defunct Nigeria Airways is in the coffers of NCAA.

Beside Demuren, the Director of Licensing, NCAA, Telema George, Director Airworthiness, NCAA, Mr. Dayo Ayorinde, Managing Director of MMA2, Mr. Alex van Elk, General Manager, Fixed Wing of Aero, Capt. Roy Ilegbodu and Air Vice Marshal Femi Ayeni of Air Transport Group of the Nigerian Air Force were on hand to receive them.

Agbelusi joined Aero in 1998 as a second officer on the DHC-6., and currently flies Bombardier Dash 8. Her career began with her training at Versatile Aviation Inc, Ardmore , Oklahoma (USA) in 1997.

On returning to Nigeria and joining Aero Contractors, she was trained on the DeHaviland Twin-Otter, prior to upgrading to the Bombardier Dash 8.

On Friday, March 13, she was upgraded to the position of Commander on the Dash 8. During this time, she also attended the University of Lagos (UNILAG) and holds a Bachelors Degree in Business Administration.

Manager Flight Operations of Aero, Capt. Akinlawon George, said: "This is a historic day for Aero for writing our name in gold; the first airline in West Africa to roll out an all-female crew.

"Aero is proud of this achievement. As we mark the anniversary of 50 years of our operations in Nigeria, we want to reiterate our confidence in the Nigerian aviation market, and our determination to continue being the leader in the industry, and our confidence to compete with the best in the world.

"We strongly believe in training our staff, and we have invested a lot of our resources in this area. We are extremely delighted that it is now paying off.

"Aero has always had female flight crew; Capt. Michelle Lawal being the first Aero female captain in the early 1990s. In that space of time, we have had 12 female pilots. Capt. Agbelusi now comes in as the fifth female Nigerian captain. Three young female pilots trained in NCAT joined us last year and we look forward to upgrading them to captains in the near future."
Re: History As Nigeria Records First All-female Crew Flight by tamme: 7:17pm On Apr 02, 2009
Nigerian women the best women in the worlddddddddddddddddddddddd

intelligent, strong, beautiful, independent cheesy
Re: History As Nigeria Records First All-female Crew Flight by AloyEmeka9: 7:18pm On Apr 02, 2009
Why is this news?
Re: History As Nigeria Records First All-female Crew Flight by tamme: 7:20pm On Apr 02, 2009
shut up!
Nigerian female pilots up in this

what have you yahoo yahoo, 419, fraud nonsense Nigerian men done?
Re: History As Nigeria Records First All-female Crew Flight by comfort3: 7:29pm On Apr 02, 2009
So what's the big deal? Women have been flying in Nigeria since when i was a kid. In fact, the Civil Aviation College in Zaria has a female flight instructor . grin

@Go  itsekri,Go Delta state.
Re: History As Nigeria Records First All-female Crew Flight by AloyEmeka9: 7:31pm On Apr 02, 2009

what have you yahoo yahoo, 419, fraud nonsense Nigerian men done?
women don't do yahoo yahoo?. You must be from planet obodo oyibo.
Re: History As Nigeria Records First All-female Crew Flight by tamme: 7:34pm On Apr 02, 2009
women don't do yahoo yahoo?. You must be from planet obodo oyibo

compared to Nigerian men? 5,000,000,000,000:1
Re: History As Nigeria Records First All-female Crew Flight by asha80(m): 7:38pm On Apr 02, 2009
This tamme has a small mind.
Re: History As Nigeria Records First All-female Crew Flight by Horus(m): 7:47pm On Apr 02, 2009
[img]http://www.thisdayonline.com/img.php?id=3984[/img]
Aerocontractors first female pilots,Captain Bridget Bola Agbelusi with her co-pilot,Dr. Yop Wash during the inaugural All-Female Crew Flight by Aerocontractors to Warri,Delta State,  yesterday. (PHOTO: Dan Ukana)
Re: History As Nigeria Records First All-female Crew Flight by Nobody: 7:48pm On Apr 02, 2009
Good news!!!

*comfort:

So what's the big deal? Women have been flying in Nigeria since when i was a kid. In fact, the Civil Aviation College in Zaria has a female flight instructor . grin

@Go  itsekri,Go Delta state.

Isn't it ironic? You say it's not a big deal, but you go ahead to write "go Itsekiri".
Re: History As Nigeria Records First All-female Crew Flight by Nobody: 7:51pm On Apr 02, 2009
he forgot to say go yoruba . . . the actual flight pilot and commander.
Re: History As Nigeria Records First All-female Crew Flight by AloyEmeka9: 8:04pm On Apr 02, 2009
he forgot to say go yoruba . . . the actual flight pilot and commander.
No I think the title should be:

History as females fly plane alone in Nigeria, Nigeria out, Yoruba in. grin grin grin
Re: History As Nigeria Records First All-female Crew Flight by blacksta(m): 9:25pm On Apr 02, 2009
I raise my glasses . Maybe they should be allowed to run the country. Women generally have a soft and compasionate heart . it will be very hard for them to steal money in the midst of nation's poverty
Re: History As Nigeria Records First All-female Crew Flight by Kobojunkie: 3:17am On Apr 03, 2009
When someone said women have been flying since he was a kid, was he referring to the FLIGHT-BY-NIGHT women also known as “AJE”? roflmao!! grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: History As Nigeria Records First All-female Crew Flight by Nobody: 5:33am On Apr 03, 2009
Kobojunkie:

When someone said women have been flying since he was a kid, was he referring to the FLIGHT-BY-NIGHT women also known as “AJE”? roflmao!! grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy

You no go kill me ooo grin grin grin grin grin grin.

Anyway, our women has always been strong just like the men since. There is a tribe in Nigeria where women go to farms while men go to market. We are not patriarchal in Nigeria one of the things that makes us advanced in some aspects of our culture. CNN should show this one. An all female flight crew in Nigeria (African women running things),
Re: History As Nigeria Records First All-female Crew Flight by abuja4real: 10:14am On Apr 03, 2009
this is what we are talking about

YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
smiley
Re: History As Nigeria Records First All-female Crew Flight by c33b33(m): 12:21pm On Apr 03, 2009
9jaganja:

CNN should show this one. An all female flight crew in Nigeria (African women running things),
No mind them!they will never show it,  if na "NIGERIAN WOMAN KILLS HUSBAND" dem 4 don show am!tsk!
Re: History As Nigeria Records First All-female Crew Flight by fyneguy: 5:30pm On Apr 03, 2009
I hope Aerocontractors havent lost customers to this news sha. Many wont like to be on board of a flight with female pilots.
Re: History As Nigeria Records First All-female Crew Flight by StrStruck(f): 5:36pm On Apr 03, 2009
@topic, I am impressed!

blacksta:

I raise my glasses . Maybe they should be allowed to run the country. Women generally have a soft and compasionate heart . it will be very hard for them to steal money in the midst of nation's poverty

Seconded!!
Re: History As Nigeria Records First All-female Crew Flight by MrCrackles(m): 5:51pm On Apr 03, 2009
Halleluyah! grin
Re: History As Nigeria Records First All-female Crew Flight by Leo75: 6:28pm On Apr 03, 2009
My congratulation to Nigerian women. Knowing the very few numbers of Female Pilots and Engineers in Nigeria. I have never thought this would happen so soon.

AVIATION IN ITSELF IS NOT INHERENTLY DANGEROUS, BUT TO AN EVEN GREATER DEGREE THAN THE SEA, IT IS TERRIBLY UNFORGIVING OF ANY CARELESSNESS, INCAPACITY OR NEGLECT.

Who say there can't be an all women crew. If they can pass the Training and be certified as Pilots. They can do it as good and better as the men would have.

Happy Cheers!
Re: History As Nigeria Records First All-female Crew Flight by Redman44(m): 6:53pm On Apr 03, 2009
Congrats to Nigerian women. Maybe it is time for a Female president in Nigeria.

@ Blacksta

I agree with you 100%

Cheers
Re: History As Nigeria Records First All-female Crew Flight by djcrucifix(m): 7:15pm On Apr 03, 2009
cool. grin no more stigmatization, kudos to the babes and their employers.
Re: History As Nigeria Records First All-female Crew Flight by blackspade(m): 7:18pm On Apr 03, 2009
Great news! cheesy
Re: History As Nigeria Records First All-female Crew Flight by studio43(m): 8:15pm On Apr 03, 2009
im an eye witness cuz i personally marshalled the DASH-8 propeller aircraft, it was a history made smiley
Re: History As Nigeria Records First All-female Crew Flight by SamMilla1(m): 9:12pm On Apr 03, 2009
simply proud
Re: History As Nigeria Records First All-female Crew Flight by javalove(m): 9:21pm On Apr 03, 2009
wwooooooowwww!!! i was having goosebumps when i was reading this news. I m soo proud of them !!!
Re: History As Nigeria Records First All-female Crew Flight by tubabie(f): 9:58pm On Apr 03, 2009
@ Topic

This is a nice development !
Re: History As Nigeria Records First All-female Crew Flight by sundayng(m): 10:18pm On Apr 03, 2009
Its good i like it
Re: History As Nigeria Records First All-female Crew Flight by gozzilla(m): 10:27pm On Apr 03, 2009
Heartwarming news in this period of all negative.

Am surprised some folks cann't see any good in this. I got nothing to say to them. More of this is needed in this country. people achieving great things and we celebrating stuffs like this.
Re: History As Nigeria Records First All-female Crew Flight by Nobody: 10:58pm On Apr 03, 2009
That's epic - hallelujah! cool
Re: History As Nigeria Records First All-female Crew Flight by keba(m): 11:22pm On Apr 03, 2009
Wow, this is great. Nigerian women are talented kiss

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Of The Schenge Country Is The Best To Apply For Tourism Visa / Peace Ntuk Survives An Accident, Testifies (Photos) / Visa On Arrival For Nigerian Babies And Foreigners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.