Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,164 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:53 AM

International Jobs: Nigerians Are Turned Down - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / International Jobs: Nigerians Are Turned Down (18784 Views)

7 Most Popular Jobs Nigerians Do Abroad / Latest National And International Jobs For Nigerian Graduates / Submit CV For Creative Associates International Jobs Recruitment In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: International Jobs: Nigerians Are Turned Down by mcvincent: 10:14am On Sep 03, 2015
I think it is high time the legislative look into our labor law and make it suitable for the citizen.This modern slavery should stop .

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: International Jobs: Nigerians Are Turned Down by kushma(m): 10:14am On Sep 03, 2015
This is bull shit there are many Nigerian doing well aboard u just have to work hard and play hard.
Re: International Jobs: Nigerians Are Turned Down by GlorifiedTunde(m): 10:22am On Sep 03, 2015
Its high time this issue is visited!

If you've never worked with expats - especially the Asians, you'll never understand.

People are seriously underemployed in Nigeria.

Our NLC and TLC are total failures!!! cry cry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: International Jobs: Nigerians Are Turned Down by edward1984(m): 10:28am On Sep 03, 2015
Well done Ormios234, Very Interesting thread. Threads like this should make front page, not others like " 10 reasons she is in love with you "

1 Like

Re: International Jobs: Nigerians Are Turned Down by edward1984(m): 10:29am On Sep 03, 2015
mcvincent:
I think it is high time the legislative look into our labor law and make it suitable for the citizen.This modern slavery should stop .

You said it all.
Re: International Jobs: Nigerians Are Turned Down by edward1984(m): 10:31am On Sep 03, 2015
ketekete:

Talk about medical health insurance, paid leave, bonuses.. an ordinary trash packer or let me say public toilet cleaner in Germany has all these things.

Even unemployed Germans who ones paid taxes and lost their jobs, before they find another job the govt make sure they are paid certain amount every month.
Re: International Jobs: Nigerians Are Turned Down by Nobody: 10:48am On Sep 03, 2015
Maybe because of the bad reputation of Nigerians on the internet...
Re: International Jobs: Nigerians Are Turned Down by greatnow: 11:04am On Sep 03, 2015
ormios234:
Below is a reply a friend got after applying for an international job:

With regrets. We are having difficulties getting visa's for Nigerians at this time.

While reasons for these difficulties are not stated most times, one can attribute it to the recent Ebola outbreak in parts of West Africa and activities of Boko Haram which seem to cast a negative image on good qualified Nigerians. This is what the government must do something about. But for the mean time the government can help by ensuring that:
1. Nigerians are first in priority for Nigerian jobs. Only when a Nigerian cannot be found suitable can a foreigner be employed for jobs in Nigeria. Even when a foreigner is employed due to unavailability of a suitable Nigerian, a plan must be put in place to train Nigerians to take over such jobs in the shortest time possible. Usually countries forecast skill need and train personnel in advance.
2. Any two persons performing the same task or occupying the same positions in an organization must get similar compensation irrespective of race or Nationality. A situation where foreigners earn multiple times salaries of locals for security reason etc must stop as even locals face similar security challenges.
3. Nigerians being employed as contract staff for a long period of time must stop. Foreigners get juicy packages while locals are under contract without any benefits in their own country. This is discrimination in one’s own home. If there should be any contract staffing, locals should not be included as obtained in most countries globally.
This can be achieved with proper laws and regulations without financial budgetary allocation.
This is my contribution to making Nigeria better.

You are 100% correct, it pains me how are Nigerians are treated like slaves in their own country and foreigners being treated like kings, this you can not try in their country. Government should please do something about this.
Re: International Jobs: Nigerians Are Turned Down by Nobody: 11:22am On Sep 03, 2015
coldsummer:
They are just afraid we are too smart for them.
U wish
Re: International Jobs: Nigerians Are Turned Down by Nobody: 11:32am On Sep 03, 2015
FxDuke:
@ OP how do do you expect them to respect nigerians when Nigeria does not respect herself?

God bless you for this post
Having worked with several foreign companies, with foreigners, all I can say is Nigerians' attitude can be very disgusting. Once we see one foreigner we are ready to tear each other apart and prove to the foreigner that we are inferior to them. Many times our own finance people are the ones who recommend the lopsided pay structure to favour the foreigner. 2-3 Nigerians can be working peacefully. the moment a white man or one foreigner comes suddenly that brother hood disappears. we start falling over ourselves trying to outdo each other sucking the white man's ass. In other countries the citizens pay attention to the needs of their own. It is madness IMO for you to hire foreigners with the same skill-set as your guys around when your own guys are languishing without jobs. Its only in Niggeria you see that crap we make things easier for the foreigners while we make life difficult for our own. With that attitude how do you expect the foreigners to take us seriously? angry

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: International Jobs: Nigerians Are Turned Down by Miranda11: 11:39am On Sep 03, 2015
The Nigerian Content Development & Monitoring Board (NCDMB) is tasked with the responsibility of ensuring dat suitably qualified Nigerians are given 1st priority for jobs in the oil n gas sector, but the problem is dat these foreign comps in conjunction with the ministry of interior tend to ignore the local content laws (Expatriate Quota) with such impunity. Most times u go to these foreign coys n u see expatriates doing jobs that Nigerians can do, if the ministry of interior is doing what they are suppose to do this will not be the case. The Nigerians that work in those coys shld also stand up and say smthing esp where they know that the expatriates are doing jobs that Nigerians can do, but the fear of losing their jobs prevent them from speaking out. It's even the expatriates dat r in management positions that determine the pay of Nigerians.

To much bribe taking by the Ministry of Interior coupled with weak labour laws, is short changing Nigerians from getting such jobs. Hopefully PMB can call these foreign coys to order and also try n strengthen our labour laws.

1 Like

Re: International Jobs: Nigerians Are Turned Down by raayah(f): 12:23pm On Sep 03, 2015
/

2 Likes

Re: International Jobs: Nigerians Are Turned Down by Setaje(f): 12:34pm On Sep 03, 2015
This thing is a big issue. Especially in the oil and gas sector. I know of many Nigerians working as expatriates because of the pay.
Meanwhile nigerians doing the same job are payed half of what expatriates make. It is very wrong. It's not fair. As an expatriate, they get so many bonuses. They get housing allowance, car allowance etc. My bossom friend is working as an expatriate in porthacourt cus she got married to a white man and she read chemical engineering, She earns thousands of dollars per month. If u see her official quarters and car. Hmmmmn. Meanwhile when she was doing her professional courses and working in France. She had no preference, infact they treated her like a french citizen wiv no extra bonus. I think the government needs to look into this. For our own graduates to be treated better. The difference between an expatriate and an indigene doing the same job is to wide.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: International Jobs: Nigerians Are Turned Down by Observant: 12:37pm On Sep 03, 2015
I never believed how messed up this country is until I was turned down for a student visa after paying $28,000 tuition, I was highly depressed and sobber.
Being denied of an over priced education after much sweat and toil is very shameful and demeaning.

1 Like

Re: International Jobs: Nigerians Are Turned Down by seanjy4konji: 12:54pm On Sep 03, 2015
Guy you sure say this heat nor deh affect youwetin u mean by say it nor easy to get Nigerian visa...abi the pttage weh u chop this morning don stuck for your intestine?
raayah:
I am going to disagree with the comments. Especially in regards to foreigners.

The reason why most expatriates are paid much is because they are highly skilled, better educated and are risking their lives to work in Nigeria. . You cannot compare a guy who went to school in MIT and has been working at world-class oil plants to a Nigerian man that has been working in substandard plants. They have higher expertise.They are mostly here to train staff and some of them go back home to their host countries.

For someone earing 100,000 us dollars in U.S to move himself here, you need to at least triple that. Converting that to naira is insane. Its one thing travelling fron ondo to zaria but moving from Canada to Nigeria is insane.

Mind you, there are also a lot of Nigerian expatriates making Wicked money abroad.

Secondly, A lot of foreigners from first-world countries are not applying to Nigeria at all. Its very uncommon (exception lebanese). Compared to Nigerians looking for Jobs overseas.

Thirdly, its not exactly easy to get Nigerian visa too. A lot of people are denied visas. So the immigration wahala goes both ways.

Fourthly, a major reason why expatriates go on to build companies and pay low is because thats the culture here. They are not required to pay you higher and no one is fighting for you. Its a business and they are there to make profit.

If Nigeria had good labour laws that are enforced, this will not happen.

Op this is not a fight between Foreigners and nationals.

Its between you and your government.

As usual, we chose the wrong people to fight.

1 Like

Re: International Jobs: Nigerians Are Turned Down by raayah(f): 12:59pm On Sep 03, 2015
/
Re: International Jobs: Nigerians Are Turned Down by abbey621(m): 1:06pm On Sep 03, 2015
raayah:
Ii

Have you met any body trying to get Nigerian work visa? Its as difficult as anywhere.

Check www.nigeriahc.org.uk/visa-requirements.

Now google 'denied nigerian visa'..even Bill gates was denied one time.

Nigerian visa is one of the easiest to get, in fact in Atlanta you don't have to show up, just submit your passport, pay and gbam! Perhaps Bill did not follow proper protocol grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: International Jobs: Nigerians Are Turned Down by haryomikun(m): 1:07pm On Sep 03, 2015
DJ haywire is about burst your speakers again with the mixx master, DJ haywire. This is a mix of the latest 9ja music and is considerably smaller in megabytes size compared to the last edition mix....
Below is the tracklist

1.Krept and Konan ft. Jeremih x Wizkid x Davido x Ice Prince x Fuse ODG - Freak Of The Week
2.Wande_Coal_-_My_Favorite
3.Patoranking Ft. Wande Coal - My Woman, My Everything
4.Wizkid - Expensive Shit
5.Sheyman - Kokan Aye
6.Hennessy Ft 2face & Wizkid - DanceGo (Eau de vie)
7.DJ Xclusive Ft. Davido - Wo Le |
8.DJ Xclusive Ft. CDQ & Lil Kesh - Dami Si
9.Tekno - Anything
10.DAVIDO ft UHURU + DJ BUCKZ - THE SOUND
11.Uhuru ft Wizkid - Duze
12.MC Galaxy - Komolop Cholop
13.Runtown Ft Uhuru - The Banger
14.Jefak x Nedo ft. Stringz - Koko Below
15.Wande Coal Ashimapeyin
16.Vector - Shiga ft Tools
17.Daboy - Bolenbe_prod_by_Antras 18.Orezi - Shuperu Remix ft Davido
19.Reminisce - SKiLASHii
20.Omo Akin - Ijo Oloti Remix ft. Skales
21.Olamide - BOBO
22.Phyno X Olamide Ft Lil'Kesh - Ladi
23.Sexy Steel - SISI
24.Mo'Blow - Wiggle Ft. May D 25.LIL KESH FT Viktoh - Efejoku
26.Kiss Daniel - Laye
27.Timaya Some More
28.DJ Spinall ft. Timaya - Excuse Me
29.Terry G ft. Wizkid, Phyno & Runtown - Knack Am
30.Masterkraft ft. CDQ, Olamide & Davido - Indomie (Remix)
31.Lil Kesh - Gbese

This mix will get you dancing when you least expect it to and even give hustlers more inspiration when hustling *winks*
Click the download button and get ready to groove guys!

The download link is Datafilehost.com/d/dfd4bf61
Re: International Jobs: Nigerians Are Turned Down by raayah(f): 1:15pm On Sep 03, 2015
/
Re: International Jobs: Nigerians Are Turned Down by abbey621(m): 1:31pm On Sep 03, 2015
raayah:

Nigerian visa is very stressful to get. Its the same procedure to get visa as U.S.
The only difference is that while a million people are trying to get work in America, only 1000 is trying to get Jobs here.

How is it expatriates fault that this happens? OP is battling with the wrong crowd

uk requirements for work visa

a current passport or other valid travel identification
a passport-size colour photograph
bank statements showing you’ve had at least £945 in savings
your tuberculosis test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test
You need a page in your passport that’s blank on both sides for your visa.
You may be asked to prove you work for your employer outside the UK.
bank or building society statements

nigeria requirements for work visa

Valid National Passport (minimum period of validity 6 months at the time of travel) or any other acceptable Travel Document;
Printed completed online Visa application form (in 4 copies) and the Payment Confirmation page(4copies);
Photocopy of Approved Expatriate Quota (4 copies);
Letter of Offer of Appointment (4 copies);
Acceptance of Offer of Appointment(4 Copies);
Original and 4 photocopies of Professional Certificate(s)
Credentials and Curriculum Vitae (original to be sighted and returned);
Application for STR Visa/Entry Permit(addressed to Visa Section, Nigeria High Commission, London) from and acceptance of full Immigration Responsibilities by Prospective Employer (4 Copies);
Flight ticket;

If your government is corrupt and does not go through due process, how is it expatriates fault.

Yea OP might be misinformed but Nigerian work visa is very easy to get, as you should know almost everything in Nigeria deals with money, foreign corporations might not be willing to pay but it's an easy process for those willing to pay their way. You seriously can't compare that to an American work visa which is strictly by credibility!
Re: International Jobs: Nigerians Are Turned Down by DICKtator: 1:38pm On Sep 03, 2015
raayah:

The reason why most expatriates are paid much is because they are highly skilled, better educated and are risking their lives to work in Nigeria. . You cannot compare a guy who went to school in MIT and has been working at world-class oil plants to a Nigerian man that has been working in substandard plants. They have higher expertise.They are mostly here to train staff and some of them go back home to their host countries.

For someone earing 100,000 us dollars in U.S to move himself here, you need to at least triple that. Converting that to naira is insane. Its one thing travelling fron ondo to zaria but moving from Canada to Nigeria is insane.

Mind you, there are also a lot of Nigerian expatriates making Wicked money abroad.

Secondly, A lot of foreigners from first-world countries are not applying to Nigeria at all. Its very uncommon (exception lebanese). Compared to Nigerians looking for Jobs overseas.

Thirdly, its not exactly easy to get Nigerian visa too. A lot of people are denied visas. So the immigration wahala goes both ways.

Fourthly, a major reason why expatriates go on to build companies and pay low is because thats the culture here. They are not required to pay you higher and no one is fighting for you. Its a business and they are there to make profit.

While your opinion is "counter-able", it depicts someone with a good understanding of the anomalies plaguing the Nigerian Labour system

I know this doesn't make sense since it is based on this write-up of yours but nevertheless,

Marry me,lets have brilliant kids

and make the world a better place!!

grin grin grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: International Jobs: Nigerians Are Turned Down by DICKtator: 1:43pm On Sep 03, 2015
Observant:
I never believed how messed up this country is until I was turned down for a student visa after paying $28,000 tuition, I was highly depressed and sobber.
Being denied of an over priced education after much sweat and toil is very shameful and demeaning.

Have you ever heard of the word "appeal?"

Those that feel that they've been wrongly denied do this!!

grin grin grin grin
Re: International Jobs: Nigerians Are Turned Down by raayah(f): 1:45pm On Sep 03, 2015
/
Re: International Jobs: Nigerians Are Turned Down by Jyde89: 2:08pm On Sep 03, 2015
dualsurvey:
I got similar responses when I applied for jobs in New Zealand and UK, despite the fact that I stood a better chance of getting the job. I could remember an employer lamenting the fact that there's no way to go about Immigration hurdles for me. I was heavily depressed and regret being born in this hopeless land.

I understand your frustration, but I'll like you remember you're and will always be a Nigerian so its better we start looking at our country from a different perspective than the hopeless nation we presume it to be, I know it's difficult to do but what if we all make this top multinational companies respect us by creating our own jobs, protest the inhuman treatment of a fellow colleague even it means the end of our job, strive to be the best in what we're doing and demanding a pay equal to our intelligence from our employers.
The reason we're being treated that way everyday is because we are always too quick to run after this companies with our pants down in search of a job, such people will do as they please with us in such scenario; it's not a crime to call together people of like minds and form a freelance workforce that will offer their services to different companies, that way we'll be a lot more respected; and if the company wants your services then you can charge them what they pay the expatriates.
Nigeria is not hopeless, the people are just not thinking hard enough.
Re: International Jobs: Nigerians Are Turned Down by DICKtator: 2:16pm On Sep 03, 2015
raayah:

Lucky for you.. im in the mood to make babies.

How about tonight in my bedroom, say around 10pm?? wink

Wooow!!!

This sounds great!!!!

It would be classic, mind blowing and psychedelic!!

I would take you to great Olympian Heights that you've never reached
We would be flying without wings
Translating through planets and intergalactic constellations
While my *content removed by Seun* would be dripping wet with your German juice!!!
9 months later, a modern day Aristotle/Einstein would be the manifestation of a well-thought journey!!
The pleasure is all mine!!!

Let's make it a date!!

grin grin grin grin
Re: International Jobs: Nigerians Are Turned Down by StObaino1(m): 6:28pm On Sep 03, 2015
GlorifiedTunde:
Its high time this issue is visited!

If you've never worked with expats - especially the Asians, you'll never understand.

People are seriously underemployed in Nigeria.

Our NLC and TLC are total failures!!! cry cry

I absolutely agree with u.. I have first hand experience on that..
Re: International Jobs: Nigerians Are Turned Down by simdam500(m): 7:37pm On Sep 03, 2015
Started from the bottom now we are here
Re: International Jobs: Nigerians Are Turned Down by Antoinne: 7:45pm On Sep 03, 2015
raayah:

You may be correct with your first point. But I'll agree with you only as far as technical jobs are concerned. And that's not disputable. In the later years just after independence, African countries depended a lot on foreign technical expertise and it wasn't out of place to fill these roles with foreigners since the educational system was as yet not up to speed. Unfortunately, that educational system is still not good enough.

However, you'd still find expatriates filling completely non-technical roles in Nigerian companies, sitting over positions that clearly can be filled with a Nigerian. What, for example, is an expatriate doing as an account officer in Nigeria when there are a great many young Nigerians who can be easily trained to fill this position?

I do agree with your point, though, that many folks here are not directing their grievances towards the right culprit. It definitely is the government, and not these oyibos.

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (Reply)

Have They Increased Your Salary? / What Is The Duration Of Notice Period For Resignation / Jobs At Maersk Line

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.