Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,132 members, 7,825,550 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 05:36 PM

How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job (45446 Views)

Graduate Assistant Job: My Waka Waka / Graduate Assistant Vacancies In A Leading Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by Nobody: 11:30am On Sep 05, 2015
I intend to pursue an academic career ( Lecturing). Am a graduate already and will be through with my Youth service in a month time. I plan to proceed to do masters immediately.

The issue is that I don't want to sit down and be doing nothing besides my masters. I want to be doing something aside and that's why I think a Graduate Assistant Job will fit in. I also have programming skills but I think it may interfere with my studies because it is time consuming.

Anyone with a valid information on how to get a graduate assistant job either in a University or Polytechnic.

Also, must I be a graduate assistant in the same school am carrying out my masters?

I need to know how to go about it.

Thanks in advance for your advices.

5 Likes

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by ayokunlei(m): 11:50am On Sep 05, 2015
Seun, lalasticlala, ishilove, what do you think

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by jazinogold(m): 11:56am On Sep 05, 2015
embarassed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by Nobody: 12:33pm On Sep 05, 2015
You should probably try the school you graduated from. Submit your application to the registrar. Try to involve your h.o.d if you were close to him during your undergraduate days

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by scarplanet(m): 1:27pm On Sep 05, 2015
1. If you graduated with a first class honours, then the GA appointment is automatic in virtually all institutions

2. If you have a second class upper, apply to the registrar of your desired institution through the HOD of your desired department just like sureguy said. It could be a lot easier if you are applying to your alma-matar.
I suggest you bag one or two certifications in your desired field, it should be an advantage. Also it's advisable to join one or two professional bodies relevant to your field; there are some free professional bodies btw.

3. I don't think a degree below second class upper is usually considered for appointment for Graduate Assistant. Unless ofcourse on certain special occasions.

4. For your Msc, you dont need to do it in the university you are employed into, though it will be favourable for u if u do it there. Upon appointment into a university, you can get a study fellowship (scholarship) or TETFUND to study anywhere in the world.

5. Finally, you should know the pay as a Graduate Assistant is meagre. It's about 2/3 of what an entry level permanent staff in a good bank gets, less than 1/4 of what a fresh entry level NLNG staff gets, and maybe a little bit lesser than what other fresh graduates gets in other federal parastatal. In a nutshell, what I am insinuating is that if u want a GA job for the passion you have for it, then great. If you want it because you think federal government jobs pay well, then you will be so disappointed.

Goodluck bro

65 Likes 9 Shares

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by adesegun121(m): 2:50pm On Sep 05, 2015
K
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by cjmike704(m): 2:51pm On Sep 05, 2015
aha
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by OZAOEKPE(f): 2:52pm On Sep 05, 2015
My brother, its not easy. Its either you have God or a strong "LEG", if you have both, the sky is your limit, if you have only God the sky is your starting point.
Its favor and grace, once its your time it will surely happen.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by Adesiji77: 2:53pm On Sep 05, 2015
Following...
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by nnapal(m): 2:53pm On Sep 05, 2015
Those guys above me have said all. I just want buy land.

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by fratermathy(m): 2:55pm On Sep 05, 2015
To become a GA, you must have made atleast a good 2.1 in school and probably be the best graduating student in your department. It will help to be savvy with the current needs of the department whether a GA is needed or not. It'll also be better to apply through a seasoned and well respected Professor in your department and school. The Professor will give you a recommendation which the HOD will minute on to the Dean. The Dean will minute on your application and you'll forward it to the Registrar as well as the Chairman of the school's governing council. Get as many Professorial recommendations as you possibly can and attach to your letter. Make sure you are already enrolled in a Masters programme and that it is stated in your application. Infact, possibly attach your masters admission letter to it. After doing the neccessary, PRAY HARD! Make connections with other professors and tell them of your desire and If the Cosmic wishes it, IT IS DONE!

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by youngwarlocks: 2:57pm On Sep 05, 2015
ok
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by Rich4god(m): 3:01pm On Sep 05, 2015
OZAOEKPE:
My brother, its not easy. Its either you have God or a strong "LEG", if you have both, the sky is your limit, if you have only God the sky is your starting point.
Its favor and grace, once its your time it will surely happen.
Forget leg.... The most important thing is qualification and God.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by Glamour09(f): 3:02pm On Sep 05, 2015
Right!
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by Rich4god(m): 3:02pm On Sep 05, 2015
nnapal:
Those guys above me have said all. I just want buy land.
Who you pay for the land...
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by Nobody: 3:07pm On Sep 05, 2015
winkok

Barcanista, your attention is needed o
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by OZAOEKPE(f): 3:13pm On Sep 05, 2015
Rich4god:
Number 1 is God

2 Likes

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by greatestman(m): 3:13pm On Sep 05, 2015
I have same plan with this OP. The issue of the application must it be when vacancy are advertised or you can go ahead to apply without been advertised? Someone should help me.
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by obioraval(m): 3:14pm On Sep 05, 2015
Have long legs
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by GlorifiedTunde(m): 3:17pm On Sep 05, 2015
scarplanet:
1. If you graduated with a first class honours, then the GA appointment is automatic in virtually all institutions

2. If you have a second class upper, apply to the registrar of your desired institution through the HOD of your desired department just like sureguy said. It could be a lot easier if you are applying to your alma-matar.
I suggest you bag one or two certifications in your desired field, it should be an advantage. Also it's advisable to join one or two professional bodies relevant to your field; there are some free professional bodies btw.

3. I don't think a degree below second class upper is usually considered for appointment for Graduate Assistant. Unless ofcourse on certain special occasions.

4. For your Msc, you dont need to do it in the university you are employed into, though it will be favourable for u if u do it there. Upon appointment into a university, you can get a study fellowship (scholarship) or TETFUND to study anywhere in the world.

5. Finally, you should know the pay as a Graduate Assistant is meagre. It's about 2/3 of what an entry level permanent staff in a good bank gets, less than 1/4 of what a fresh entry level NLNG staff gets, and maybe a little bit lesser than what other fresh graduates gets in other federal parastatal. In a nutshell, what I am insinuating is that if u want a GA job for the passion you have for it, then great. If you want it because you think federal government jobs pay well, then you will be so disappointed.

Goodluck bro

Nice info!

Do you know if these new private universities really discriminate against those who have not started PhD for assistant lecturer position?
I have someone who just finished masters with a PhD grade but has not started PhD - but he applied for an assistant lecturer post
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by wunmi590(m): 3:19pm On Sep 05, 2015
When you start your masters, gather all 100level student together and start taking them courses that you think are difficult for them to understand which you know.

During my undergraduate, I once paid #300 for a course, we called one of our senior and he did his job and collect his money from each students which were about 100.

3 Likes

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by Antoinne: 3:23pm On Sep 05, 2015
I was actually offered such position upon graduation, but rejected it. Even though now I have a much higher paying job, more than 10 times what a GA earns, I actually wish I had taken that GA job. Bro, if you've got the passion for that job, please just do it! smiley

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by canalily(m): 3:24pm On Sep 05, 2015
U could scratch and win the position naa in any schoolsad its very simple

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by Nobody: 3:31pm On Sep 05, 2015
scarplanet:

Goodluck bro
Hw much does a GA per month?
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by Jarchi(m): 3:33pm On Sep 05, 2015
He no go funny,as he dey go naija.
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by abdrazak: 3:34pm On Sep 05, 2015
Ready to learn from the elites here and see how the process goes.
I'm also having the passion but just preparing for service.

2 Likes

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by mustiusman: 3:42pm On Sep 05, 2015
Rich4god:

Omo forget qualification. I graduated with a 2.1 degree since 2011, I don apply for universities tire, I still dey house till now they hustle, so na leg man

5 Likes

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by fiercehillz(m): 3:45pm On Sep 05, 2015
Am in a similar situation, though am passing out next year, graduated with a 2.1 (4.26) n was d best graduating student in my department. I had a chat with a professor who told me 2 apply for masters immediately after service. He said during my masters I can now send my application via the department to the registrar's office. He said I shouldn't apply elsewhere because most federal and state owned universities prefer 2 absorb young graduates who were under their tutelage.
WISH U d BEST BRO

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by STENON(f): 3:46pm On Sep 05, 2015
#following#
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by SmartProf(m): 4:07pm On Sep 05, 2015
Apart from the 2.1 grade, and the various offices you should direct your application letters to as already stated by previous contributors, you must sometimes be an indigene of the state if you are applying to a state university and you must also be sensitive to know when the university is likely to be expecting the NUC for accreditation so as to make the relevance of your application more weighty. Besides the official salary is above 90k but may differ if the school has not yet confirmed your appointment...the overseas Msc/Phd TETFUND scholarship sponsorship you obtain as a result is always a plus though you will be bonded for some years

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Consolidated Breweries Test, LETS MEET HERE / Apply For Total E&p Nigeria Limited Young Graduate Program 2015 / Adekunle Ajayi: Man Rejected Offers In Shell & Chevron To Live & Work In Ekiti

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.