Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,901 members, 7,838,219 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 05:30 PM

How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job (45513 Views)

Graduate Assistant Job: My Waka Waka / Graduate Assistant Vacancies In A Leading Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by bagger293: 9:55pm On Sep 05, 2015
My sister please try n get a first class cgpa...be puntual to lectures, prepare a good study schedule, always be reading...so the untouched materials wont pile up...i really regret not doing when I was starting.... cry
igstars:
Good day uncles and aunties..
Api to see this thread.
Pls am aspiring to be a lecturer too.
When its my turn, pls be there to help me in any way u can..

Am an undergraduate sha...
But would rily love to be a lecturer when am done.
Truthfully.... Am jst starting...
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by hardbody: 9:56pm On Sep 05, 2015
iamayodeji:
I intend to pursue an academic career ( Lecturing). Am a graduate already and will be through with my Youth service in a month time. I plan to proceed to do masters immediately.

The issue is that I don't want to sit down and be doing nothing besides my masters. I want to be doing something aside and that's why I think a Graduate Assistant Job will fit in. I also have programming skills but I think it may interfere with my studies because it is time consuming.

Anyone with a valid information on how to get a graduate assistant job either in a University or Polytechnic.

Also, must I be a graduate assistant in the same school am carrying out my masters?

I need to know how to go about it.

Thanks in advance for your advices.

Look up. You will see that advert that says, 'Boost your monthly income with a part time job.' It is a perfect answer to your question, or what do you think?
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by ggirl4real: 10:02pm On Sep 05, 2015
igstars:
Good day uncles and aunties..
Api to see this thread.
Pls am aspiring to be a lecturer too.
When its my turn, pls be there to help me in any way u can..

Am an undergraduate sha...
But would rily love to be a lecturer when am done.
Truthfully.... Am jst starting...

As you are starting, use your 100 and 200levels to build your CGPA coz the CGPA you start with goes a long way to determine the grade you'll graduate with. If you can be on 4.5(possible but not easy) after your 200level. All you'll have to do is to maintain it. See you at the top!!!

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by bagger293: 10:08pm On Sep 05, 2015
I'm surprised there are poeple like me who want to be lecturers...I'm often mocked by some of my course mates...but I do look at them like..'you wont understand'.. wink
ggirl4real:

As you are starting, use your 100 and 200levels to build your CGPA coz the CGPA you start with goes a long way to determine the grade you'll graduate with. If you can be on 4.5(possible but not easy) after your 200level. All you'll have to do is to maintain it. See you at the top!!!
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by osifred(m): 10:11pm On Sep 05, 2015
Others have said it all. However let me add, if your background is not in education (you didn't graduate with a b.ed or have nce) you need to enroll for a post graduate program in education as it will really come handy in your quest to be a lecturer. Ideally you are not suppose to lecturer if you are not a trained teacher.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by yungprof09: 10:28pm On Sep 05, 2015
osifred:
Others have said it all. However let me add, if your background is not in education (you didn't graduate with a b.ed or have nce) you need to enroll for a post graduate program in education as it will really come handy in your quest to be a lecturer. Ideally you are not suppose to lecturer if you are not a trained teacher.
well put..gone are those days when the teaching profession is been rediculed,now u must attain a degree in education so as to be in a better place wen it comes to lecturing.
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by ohzee(f): 10:41pm On Sep 05, 2015
effyzie01:

For a GA, and even AL, research isn't particularly important. Research only becomes an issue when one is applying for LII and above

That may be true. But in today's competitive world, it will give you an edge. It shows you are already thinking ahead and that you are interested in lecturing and research and not just getting the job for daily bread. It's not a requirement.

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by Hybrid01: 11:08pm On Sep 05, 2015
I am happy i stumbled on this thread. I am still waiting for Unilag's admission list (Biochemistry) but i have always wanted to be a lecturer in future. Apart from the passion, i don't think anybody can deny not thinking of the money in one way or the other. I just want to have an idea of how much GAs and lecturers earn.

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by mickey45: 12:11am On Sep 06, 2015
ggirl4real:

Thanks Ma'am

You mind saying which school and course/faculty?
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by mickey45: 12:17am On Sep 06, 2015
CCsurplus007:

Lol in futa where I graduated, getting a GA job is as easy as ABC. Infact it has been approved by senate that first class graduates that are interested in lecturing should be retained without hassles. Although the law might change soon as more students are graduating with first class and the departmemtal strenght are already filled up. My appointment letter was ready before I even finished service. Even if you apply after service it should take 2 weeks max for the VC to approve your request

I need your e-mail pls. The naira-mail/Pm thing is acting up
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by Nobody: 1:14am On Sep 06, 2015
If you're in the science/ technology field, i'll recommend you take the TOEFL and GRE exams and apply to MSc or PHD program in the US. You'll get tuition paid for and earn some stipend biweekly. Research is usually funded through funding agencies and companies with bugdet to the tune of millions of dollars. You'll often work with the best in your field, or you may meet them at conferences, and when all is said and done you'll stand shoulder to shoulder with the very best. Besides, a PHD degree in the US will make you employable anywhere in the world, so why limit yourself?
ggirl4real:
I have similar passion for lecturing. Will be passing out this October.

I graduated with a CGPA of 4.49 - Best in my Faculty.

I'm familiar with most of my lecturers.

My undergraduate project work has been published.

I've applied for Masters Programme.

I've even gone for Professional Certification.

God you know all I've put into this pursuit. Let all my efforts not be in vain.

God please help me. I really need this job after service.

I can't wait to be a lecturer. It's the best thing that will happen to me.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by jesutekome: 5:22am On Sep 06, 2015
Space booked
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by effyzie01(m): 6:42am On Sep 06, 2015
ohzee:

That may be true. But in today's competitive world, it will give you an edge. It shows you are already thinking ahead and that you are interested in lecturing and research and not just getting the job for daily bread. It's not a requirement.

I agree

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by effyzie01(m): 7:09am On Sep 06, 2015
To summarise everything:

To be a GA you need to graduate with a First Class (I did a 4.62), or a 2.1/2.2 with good connections in a department that is understaffed and good performance during the interview. As soon as you enrol for an MSc and successfully finish your coursework, you're good for an AL.

First Class graduates are employed automatically. But even them have to have good rapport with their HODs. Unless prevailed upon, a HOD can tell the school management that 'we are OK in the dept and don't need any more staff, thanks' and there's nothing anyone can do.

The key here is First Class and a rapport with the HOD (or anybody who can influence him). It is easy these days to graduate with a 2.1 or even a first class.

The interview is usually over (let me use that language) 10. First Class degrees are given base marks of 5 (so it is an automatic pass), in addition to your performance, you'll be good for a job. A 2.1 is given the base marks of 4 and a 2.2 is 3.

2 Likes

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by abdulkayus(m): 8:06am On Sep 06, 2015
osifred:

That is not true. It may come handy in applying for college of education and it is not even compulsory there bt compulsory for you to go higher in position there. Bt for university, it is not a must at all. All those lecturers in Faculty of Engineering, Science, Medicine and science based department and even arts and commercial based don't have background in educational courses or Post graduate diploma in education.

4 Likes

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by Danny4show(m): 8:45am On Sep 06, 2015
go for your Msc and make sure you come out with a Dinstinction..

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by mustiusman: 9:21am On Sep 06, 2015
Rich4god:
Since 2011.... No vex, abeg wch course u read... Is it science related.

I graduated with 2.1 Bsc Geography
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by ggirl4real: 10:22am On Sep 06, 2015
mickey45:

You mind saying which school and course/faculty?

I graduated from University of Uyo. Department of Agricultural Economics and Extension.

We've had only one first class graduate (1996/1997 session) from the department since inception (about 25years now).

I wanted to break that record but I couldn't.
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by ggirl4real: 10:25am On Sep 06, 2015
Phlegmwash:
If you're in the science/ technology field, i'll recommend you take the TOEFL and GRE exams and apply to MSc or PHD program in the US. You'll get tuition paid for and earn some stipend biweekly. Research is usually funded through funding agencies and companies with bugdet to the tune of millions of dollars. You'll often work with the best in your field, or you may meet them at conferences, and when all is said and done you'll stand shoulder to shoulder with the very best. Besides, a PHD degree in the US will make you employable anywhere in the world, so why limit yourself?

I don't know how to go about it. There's no harm in trying.
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by STENON(f): 10:28am On Sep 06, 2015
effyzie01:

He has to. Even if he were to graduate with a First Class, his HOD has to agree to work with him. They're that powerful
Hmmmmm..."They're that Powerful"
Thanks, I gt a point frm this thread, My HOD was my Project supervisor and she evn asked me to present my Project/work at two conferences by November/December this year , Though I'm not in good rapport with her because of the fear of been the HOD, But based on what people have said, I need to be connected to her ASAP.
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by ggirl4real: 10:29am On Sep 06, 2015
osifred:

Even if they want me to study all the courses under Education, I don't mind o. They should give me chance first. No be book? I go study am o grin
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by effyzie01(m): 12:27pm On Sep 06, 2015
STENON:
Hmmmmm..."They're that Powerful"
Thanks, I gt a point frm this thread, My HOD was my Project supervisor and she evn asked me to present my Project/work at two conferences by November/December this year , Though I'm not in good rapport with her because of the fear of been the HOD, But based on what people have said, I need to be connected to her ASAP.

Yes! You need to, ASAP. You're lucky, the fact that she asked you to even present your work at a conference shows how much she has faith in you. Be like a daughter to her. Be close to her. Just do the needful. There's no harm in stooping low to get what we want, right?

I wish you all the best
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by effyzie01(m): 12:30pm On Sep 06, 2015
ggirl4real:

Even if they want me to study all the courses under Education, I don't mind o. They should give me chance first. No be book? I go study am o grin

Education isn't necessary for a University lecturer. Don't bother yourself with/about it. Focus on more productive things.
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by STENON(f): 1:05pm On Sep 06, 2015
effyzie01:

Yes! You need to, ASAP. You're lucky, the fact that she asked you to even present your work at a conference shows how much she has faith in you. Be like a daughter to her. Be close to her. Just do the needful. There's no harm in stooping low to get what we want, right?

I wish you all the best
Amen, Thanks, I'l do jst as you have said.

Pls can a fresh graduate also apply for GA while waiting for NYSC mobilization ?
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by igstars(f): 1:44pm On Sep 06, 2015
Hybrid01:
I am happy i stumbled on this thread. I am still waiting for Unilag's admission list (Biochemistry) but i have always wanted to be a lecturer in future. Apart from the passion, i don't think anybody can deny not thinking of the money in one way or the other. I just want to have an idea of how much GAs and lecturers earn.

Am waiting for the list too...
Applied 4 biochemistry via jamb, but saw only chemistry on my post ume slip..
Found out they don't rily have biochemistry in rsust...
So am going for the chemistry...
Wishing myself all the best...
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by igstars(f): 2:04pm On Sep 06, 2015
Aunties and uncles thanks a lot!!!
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by Nobody: 3:35pm On Sep 06, 2015
Whats your major and your area of expertise? And whats your publication about? You may DM me if you dont want this information public
ggirl4real:

I don't know how to go about it. There's no harm in trying.
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by osifred(m): 5:04pm On Sep 06, 2015
abdulkayus:

That is not true. It may come handy in applying for college of education and it is not even compulsory there bt compulsory for you to go higher in position there. Bt for university, it is not a must at all. All those lecturers in Faculty of Engineering, Science, Medicine and science based department and even arts and commercial based don't have background in educational courses or Post graduate diploma in education.

I would normally not reponse to you for be so wrong and still claim to be right. The teacher registration council of Nigeria (TRCN) Act makes it punishable offence for anybody or institutions to employ somebody as a teacher who is not a trained and registered teacher, it also stipulate as an offence anybody who teach without being trained and register in all levels of our education system. Whether that is been implemented is a topic for another day. Most of your lecturers in addition to their BSc, masters or PhD have atleast a post graduate diploma in education otherwise they won't be promoted even when employed through the back. Your lecturers won't tell you because the information doesn't concern you in anyway unless you are being groom to become a lecturer. Take this as free information from somebody in the system.
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by ayokunlei(m): 5:41pm On Sep 06, 2015
STENON:
#following#
Stenon, the great Physicist
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by STENON(f): 5:49pm On Sep 06, 2015
ayokunlei:

Stenon, the great Physicist
Thanks, Goodevening and how are you?

*Please have we met at somewhere before*
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by ayokunlei(m): 5:55pm On Sep 06, 2015
STENON:
Thanks, Goodevening and how are you?

*Please have we met at somewhere before*

am doing well.
I have come across your posts before on Nairaland, expecially in the Masters / Ph.d thread on Nairaland
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by ayokunlei(m): 5:57pm On Sep 06, 2015
ggirl4real:
I have similar passion for lecturing. Will be passing out this October.

I graduated with a CGPA of 4.49 - Best in my Faculty.

I'm familiar with most of my lecturers.

My undergraduate project work has been published.

I've applied for Masters Programme.

I've even gone for Professional Certification.

God you know all I've put into this pursuit. Let all my efforts not be in vain.

God please help me. I really need this job after service.

I can't wait to be a lecturer. It's the best thing that will happen to me.

wao!! You almost make a 1st class. wishing you the Best!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Consolidated Breweries Test, LETS MEET HERE / Apply For Total E&p Nigeria Limited Young Graduate Program 2015 / Adekunle Ajayi: Man Rejected Offers In Shell & Chevron To Live & Work In Ekiti

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.