Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,285 members, 7,818,964 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:06 AM

Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri (44410 Views)

The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People / Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri / The Beauty Of Our Culture (ijaw , Urhobo, Itsekiri) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri by GodMode: 4:16am On Sep 06, 2015
airsaylongcon:

I don't know why people say this. The Olu of Itsekiri is hailed as the Ogiame. Most Urhobo people will be able to infer that this has something to do with water. When they say Long live the King they say Ogiame suoooooo. Again Urhobo can infer that they are wishing the King a Long reign. So please tell me how they are Yoruba? An Urhobo will rather eat the egusi soup from an Itsekiri than from a yoruba because it tastes more like what he gets from an Urhobo. Banga soup nko? Don't even go there. Or would u refer to a badagry person as yoruba? How about Ilaje?

Google and research on itsekiri before saying this or jumping to conclusion about the tribe.

1 Like

Re: Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri by GodMode: 4:53am On Sep 06, 2015
Datazone:

I personally think @Pazienza has trashed this issue better than I can say. This is one of the reason why I keep saying that the Igbos, Yorubas and Hausas are more united than any other tribe in Nigeria. How often do you see Enugu Igbos talking trash about Imo Igbos online? Or even a Yoruba talking bad about their Yoruba kingdom online? Yet, here you are disgracing the Itsekiris all because you come from such a family that exhibit what you posted. Personally, I think its rather a family issue on your part and not a general analysis of the Ijaws or Itsekiris as a tribe. Also, its sad you are addressing Itsekiri women as "water people", I understand that they live in riverine areas but to the ordinary Nigerian it means being possessed. As Pazienza rightly said, your Mom "Yorubanized" to the extent you can't even spell your tribe correctly. It's Itsekiri not Itshekiri (Isekiri and Itshekiri are variants). Have a nice day!

Stop insulting setaje family... If you could do research on itsekiri.. You'll find out they are yoruba. So she was not YORUBANIZED in any way...

5 Likes

Re: Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri by sean079: 4:53am On Sep 06, 2015
stpat1:

1. They all love Woman : An Average Urhobo , Ijaw and Itsekiri man loves women, You hardly see them getting married to one wife… I.e polygamous Family

This is correct to a large extent and that is because there is an abundant supply of alcohol coupled with the cold terrain. So what do you expect.

2. Wealth : Apart from oil been located in our land, An Average Urhobo , Ijaw and Itsekiri man is rich, if the ijaws re nt fishing the Urhobo's and Itsekiri are Farming, you hardly see them suffering.

I strongly disagree with you, If you have circumnavigated the most of their communities, you will be amazed at the rate of poverty and suffering amongst the people even though they are surrounded by so much opportunities that come with Oil.

3. Accommodating : we are all accommodating, Have you met with any typical Ijaw , Urhobo or Itsekiri man b4, How was his behavior towards you ?, they love strangers and hardly do you hear them maltreating any body.

This is also untrue. Naturally, Ijaw are hostile, unaccommodating and cantankerous. They seem to want to take everything by force and see strangers in their communities as a threat to their livelihood. Same to some extend are the Urhobo's but the Itsekiris are more accommodating, but I can relate this to the fact that they are more educated and have lower population strength.

4. Funny : Well don't need to emphasis more on this, If you see us alone , You already started laughing, 60% of Nigeria Comedian are either ( Urhobo , Ijaw or Itsekiri)

I agree with you on this. Though if you have been through what these peeps have been through, then you will understand why they are so humorous. What you see as jokes elsewhere are stark realities in their communities.

5. They are not lazy : Hmmmmm, don't Bleep with the big Three's , they are very strong.

Hmmm I don't want to be categorical on this, but in most of the Ijaw and urhobo communities (I don't mean the few privileged ones), most of the hard labour are being done by their women. When you transverse the waters, farm lands, creeks in these communities you will agree with me. I have not lived in the Itsekiri community enough to be able to draw a logical conclusion.

6 . Culture :[/b] They all have similar culture

[b]I agree with you to a large extent. Their cultures have been entwined by years of communal living and close proximity. Especially influenced by similar terrain. So yes I agree.

7. Well Educated

Fallacy. It's fallacious for you to state that they are well educated. I will rather you put it that the level of education amongst the populace of these communities is growing. How dare you try to obfuscate the readers concerning the reality on ground in those communities. The Itsekiris are more educated that the other 2 communities, followed by the urhobos and then the Ijaws come a distant third. Numerically comparing the few educated ones with the uneducated lot, The general populace CANNOT be term "WELL EDUCATED".

8. They love alcohol

Yes, The Ijaws and the Urhobos love alcohol. As I said earlier, I have not resided long enough with the Itsekiris to draw a logical conclusion on this about them. The reason for their love for alcohol is not far fetched. They are close to the water bodies which make the environment cold, they need to be fired up to be able to carry out their fishing activities well, the local alcohol comes cheap and it is readily available due to the the abundant availability of raw materials.

Ure correct about high percentage of ijaw n irhobo men as very timid n lazy. I really respect the hardworking n industrious spirit of their women folks. Same with isoko men. An instances of this is gej n his wife. I wish the men in those areas will emulate the kind spirit that their women possess

2 Likes

Re: Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri by Nobody: 5:35am On Sep 06, 2015
BlaqCoffee109:
cool..if I hear am, asaba straight..anyhow yagayaga..you do anyhow,you see anyhow..BTW, we Itsekiris are sophisticated and classy...#irepitsekebabes cheesy...forget calabar koblomi...egbelekokomiyo is da way..twale tongue

Lol...u be badt girl
Re: Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri by azimibraun: 5:40am On Sep 06, 2015
Urhobo, Ijaw and itsekiri will all lose their identities by the time Nnamdi Kanu(Biafra) is done colonizing them and using the poilicy of assimilation on them... And you all know what that means.

1 Like

Re: Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri by obiak4(m): 5:41am On Sep 06, 2015
mikron:
hahahahaha abey emene izon owei a?
where r u from am presently in southern ijaw l.g gbanatoru
Re: Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri by obiak4(m): 5:41am On Sep 06, 2015
mikron:
where r u from am presently in southern ijaw l.g gbanatoru
Re: Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri by Obiwiz(m): 6:31am On Sep 06, 2015
DashMeYansh:
Itshekiri have Yoruba cultures. Am cool with all tribes as long as they don't join the _Flatheads Screaming Biafra undecided
Yeah, as long as they keep allowing u leech on them. Fears and anxiety of a true parasite.

1 Like

Re: Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri by Obiwiz(m): 6:37am On Sep 06, 2015
Aminat508:
Wetin be ijaw uhrobo nd isekiri? Na dance?
Venture out of that enclave of yours, update ur OS. You dey live for Chad? Abi u be under-15?

1 Like

Re: Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri by onome710(m): 6:53am On Sep 06, 2015
Proud Urhobo son!

1 Like

Re: Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri by Nobody: 7:06am On Sep 06, 2015
mikron:

Bro, please what does emene mean?

Does 'emene izon' mean 'Izon people' by any chance?

1 Like

Re: Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri by layinks60: 7:15am On Sep 06, 2015
Apparently, this is outrightly sentimental and biased.. You supported your people because you are one of them, there is one thing you missed

*You never highlight CULTISM.. More killings and cult attacks is been done in the south-southern part of the country.

2 Likes

Re: Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri by Nobody: 7:21am On Sep 06, 2015
azimibraun:
[s] Urhobo, Ijaw and itsekiri will all lose their identities by the time Nnamdi Kanu(Biafra) is done colonizing them and using the poilicy of assimilation on them... And you all know what that means.[/s]

If I give u hot slap u go run Commot here, Anything ND una go they include Biafra, Did we invite u guys ??

The thread was created to promote the unity of my people not an avenue for you to display ur madness

1 Like

Re: Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri by Nobody: 7:25am On Sep 06, 2015
Obiwiz:

Yeah, as long as they keep allowing u leech on them. Fears and anxiety of a true parasite.

Same way ur people re dying so hard To claim people that re never in support of ur dream

Don't accuse Yoruba of the same sin u posses.. bye

2 Likes

Re: Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri by Nobody: 7:27am On Sep 06, 2015
airsaylongcon:

I don't know why people say this. The Olu of Itsekiri is hailed as the Ogiame. Most Urhobo people will be able to infer that this has something to do with water. When they say Long live the King they say Ogiame suoooooo. Again Urhobo can infer that they are wishing the King a Long reign. So please tell me how they are Yoruba? An Urhobo will rather eat the egusi soup from an Itsekiri than from a yoruba because it tastes more like what he gets from an Urhobo. Banga soup nko? Don't even go there. Or would u refer to a badagry person as yoruba? How about Ilaje?

Godbless u bro for replying that dude...

The Ilaje aspect, hmmmm, still don't know hw they re Yoruba.
Re: Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri by scholes0(m): 8:08am On Sep 06, 2015
Goodboiyy:

Godbless u bro for replying that dude...

The Ilaje aspect, hmmmm, still don't know hw they re Yoruba.

Here is Ilaje music and culture, can you understand and relate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdtMSrqQpNI

1 Like

Re: Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri by ldpele(m): 8:21am On Sep 06, 2015
Aminat508:
Wetin be ijaw uhrobo nd isekiri? Na dance?
no b only dance, na seasonal firm, e tough pass 24, if I dey lie, ask the OP.

1 Like

Re: Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri by Aminat508(f): 8:23am On Sep 06, 2015
ldpele:
no b only dance, na seasonal firm, e tough pass 24, if I dey lie, ask the OP.
lolz cheesy

1 Like

Re: Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri by pbs4real(m): 8:25am On Sep 06, 2015
Aminat508:
lolz cheesy
u and omotayor123 undecided happy Sunday tho
Re: Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri by asamaigho(m): 8:27am On Sep 06, 2015
rawpadgin:
The ijaws are more accommodating

the itsekiri are not too friendly with strangers

In ogulugha where i work, u cant tell the difference between indigene & non indigene

they see everybody as their own

even ghana people sef dey run Mata there like son of the soil

u can't try in itsekiri land

stop spewing trash,the itsekiris are d most accomodating,u have no idea of what u are saying.
i doubt if have eva lived in warri,in itsekiri areas u have less crimes,less "deve",u cant compare ekpan,effurn,igbudu to okere,ekurede,ugbangwe or ubeji,we are friendly and accomodating,even strangers can tesify of this
Re: Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri by Aminat508(f): 8:27am On Sep 06, 2015
pbs4real:
Happy sunday to u too..... Y u bend your mouth like dat?

2 Likes

Re: Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri by pbs4real(m): 8:29am On Sep 06, 2015
Aminat508:
una neva do wetin una promise grin
Re: Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri by Aminat508(f): 8:30am On Sep 06, 2015
pbs4real:
una neva do wetin una promise grin
Me don do nah grin

2 Likes

Re: Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri by pbs4real(m): 8:33am On Sep 06, 2015
Aminat508:
Me don do nah grin
nah lie jawe,nah people wey dey kiri bread and beans dey ur dp and u also promsi'd to mention moi wen u change ur pfile pix
Re: Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri by Aminat508(f): 8:36am On Sep 06, 2015
pbs4real:
nah lie jawe,nah people wey dey kiri bread and beans dey ur dp and u also promsi'd to mention moi wen u change ur pfile pix
lolz @moimoi and bread.

I will change it tomorrow

2 Likes

Re: Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri by onuwaje(m): 8:36am On Sep 06, 2015
layinks60:
Apparently, this is outrightly sentimental and biased.. You supported your people because you are one of them, there is one thing you missed

*You never highlight CULTISM.. More killings and cult attacks is been done in the south-southern part of the country.
Is ur tribe holier?
Re: Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri by pbs4real(m): 8:38am On Sep 06, 2015
Aminat508:
lolz @moimoi and bread.

make sure it's wat I wna see
Re: Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri by Omotayor123(f): 8:40am On Sep 06, 2015
pbs4real:
Wetin we do that makes you squeeze your face like that

1 Like

Re: Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri by pbs4real(m): 8:41am On Sep 06, 2015
Aminat508:
lolz @moimoi and bread.

see omotayor luking so HOT grin hehehehe, she's winning the race smiley
Re: Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri by Aminat508(f): 8:41am On Sep 06, 2015
pbs4real:
see omotayor luking so HOT grin hehehehe, she's winning the race smiley
lolz grin

2 Likes

Re: Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri by pbs4real(m): 8:42am On Sep 06, 2015
Omotayor123:

Wetin we do that makes you squeeze your face like that
ask aminat tongue undecided
Re: Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri by Omotayor123(f): 8:42am On Sep 06, 2015
Aminat508:
I wonder oooo.. He say make I ask you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom / Ado Bayero’s Son Set To Wed,Checkout His Lovely Pre-wedding Photos / Nigeria At 55: The 10 Biggest Cultural Groups In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.