Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,084 members, 7,818,245 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:07 AM

Education Or Money? Which Is The Greater? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education Or Money? Which Is The Greater? (10070 Views)

Which Can Take You Far In Life? Education Or Talent? / Love,sex Or Money..which Makes The World Go Round? / Luv Nd Money Which Is More Powerful (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Education Or Money? Which Is The Greater? by ChuckWoody(m): 4:45pm On Apr 05, 2009
Which is the greater tool to get ahead and be successful in Naija?

It seems there was a time when Education was paramount to getting ahead in Naija but, more and more these days getting money by any means necessary seems to be the only thing that matters.

I know a chick from London who went back home, and now she's hooked up with a young guy who's made his money in shipping.

Now maybe I'm naive but how can one so young rise to such a position where they've made money from that game without any real history in it? It'd make sense if he'd inherited it from his family.
Obviously he's not stupid, cos although he went to Uni but never finished, he's managed to make a good life for himself.
And more power to him, I say.

Obviously a combination of money and education is a match made in heaven, but have peeps in Naija made education secondary to money, no matter how it comes?

Your opinions if you will. Cheers.
Re: Education Or Money? Which Is The Greater? by asha80(m): 4:55pm On Apr 05, 2009
My opinion is this

First and foremost we should be able to identify what education really is.Is it university education?If it is then here is my view;

Education from nursery to secondary is VERY IMPORTANT and it should be sound.However after that people should be be able to detemine what they want in life and if that thing they are inspiring to be does not need university education then the individual does not need waste his time in university reading a course he does not need or just to get certificate.

If you are good in whatever you are doing(i do not mean anything criminal) money will always roll in.
Re: Education Or Money? Which Is The Greater? by ChuckWoody(m): 5:11pm On Apr 05, 2009
@ asha, I spose you being resident in Naija makes you best placed to answer this question.

How many folks without degree level education are successful without doing any fraud or drugs activities these days?

See, I'm wondering whether or not it's possible to get a job in Sales (for arguments sake) and manage to work your way up to senior management or directorship level? At least by then you'll be better equipped to go out on your own and start your own business.

Maybe my observations are naive, i dunno that's why I'm asking the question.
Re: Education Or Money? Which Is The Greater? by asha80(m): 5:33pm On Apr 05, 2009
@ asha, I spose you being resident in Naija makes you best placed to answer this question.

How many folks without degree level education are successful without doing any fraud or drugs activities these days?

See, I'm wondering whether or not it's possible to get a job in Sales (for arguments sake) and manage to work your way up to senior management or directorship level? At least by then you'll be better equipped to go out on your own and start your own business.

Maybe my observations are naive, i dunno that's why I'm asking the question.

Do you think that degree level educated folks are not involved in frauds?
Re: Education Or Money? Which Is The Greater? by ChuckWoody(m): 6:02pm On Apr 05, 2009
What are yo on about?

That's not the question i asked, is it?

I asked how many peeps "without degree level education are successful without doing fraud or drug activities".

So what's the significance of highlighting that point?
Re: Education Or Money? Which Is The Greater? by Nobody: 6:07pm On Apr 05, 2009
@post
In Naija, money because most always seems to want things they do not work for, they always look for the easiest route.
Yet they do not consider that that the reason why evil is in surplus is because of all their ambitions to get money.

In an ideal world, knowledge is power. Earning, learning and yearning are the key ingredients of life.
Re: Education Or Money? Which Is The Greater? by asha80(m): 6:31pm On Apr 05, 2009
@chuckwoody

A lot if you come back to nigeria and open your eyes.
Re: Education Or Money? Which Is The Greater? by ChuckWoody(m): 6:55pm On Apr 05, 2009
asha 80:

@chuckwoody

I said I might be naive, not stupid. Of course there are folks with degrees who do illegal activities *cough*.

But that's not the question I asked.

If you can't answer the question, say so, and leave it to someone who can. I won't think any less of you, honest.
Re: Education Or Money? Which Is The Greater? by asha80(m): 7:08pm On Apr 05, 2009
@chuckwoody

You asked this

I asked how many peeps "without degree level education are successful without doing fraud or drug activities".

And i answered this

Are you clear now?
Re: Education Or Money? Which Is The Greater? by AloyEmeka9: 7:14pm On Apr 05, 2009
Education is invaluable. Money can be robbed off you, disappear in a minute but nobody or economic situation that can rob education off you unless you are dead. Knowledge is power.
Re: Education Or Money? Which Is The Greater? by kellyhand1: 9:07pm On Apr 05, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Education is invaluable. Money can be robbed off you, disappear in a minute but nobody or economic situation that can rob education off you unless you are dead. Knowledge is power.

TRUE TALK, I AGREE WITH YOU 100%
Re: Education Or Money? Which Is The Greater? by MT: 9:35pm On Apr 05, 2009
Education and Money are quite incomparable. Education can either directly or indirectly lead to wealth. You can work for an organisation as a professional ane be paid high salary, and you can work as a consultant and still be paid fantastic amount. So, we can say education is the process that leads to money-making.

Point of note, education should not be based on money-making alone, it also makes you to be exposed. To be able to know your rights. To be able to have sound & matured analytical mind. To be able to boost your morale & confidence etc

All these apply to people that are genuinely educated, and not pple that just "navigate" their ways through the schools.

Summarily, Education and Money are good, but money backed up with education is enviable and the best !
Re: Education Or Money? Which Is The Greater? by Nobody: 10:13pm On Apr 05, 2009
@ poster
Its a paradox that kind of explains itself: education is secondary to money in naija right now. But getting a foot in the door of corporate nigeria requires a university degree.
WERE U EVER AT IFE? (OAU)
Re: Education Or Money? Which Is The Greater? by ChuckWoody(m): 10:51pm On Apr 05, 2009
Cheers folks.

@ Asha - my question asked:

ChuckWoody:

This was your initial answer:

asha 80:

Do you think that degree level educated folks are not involved in frauds?

After I replied to that, you later came up with:

asha 80:

@chuckwoody

So, I'm not gonna get into a debate about what you did and did not answer, it's not worth it.

I only asked for your opinion, dude.
And thanks for your opinion.
Re: Education Or Money? Which Is The Greater? by asha80(m): 11:08pm On Apr 05, 2009
wrong thread
Re: Education Or Money? Which Is The Greater? by Nobody: 12:36am On Apr 06, 2009
MT:

Education and Money are quite incomparable. Education can either directly or indirectly lead to wealth. You can work for an organisation as a professional ane be paid high salary, and you can work as a consultant and still be paid fantastic amount. So, we can say education is the process that leads to money-making.
LOL, but money is not permanent. You can have it today and lose it tomor.
Education is not money, neither does it have to be the cause of wealth.
The highest achievement one can attain in this life is knowing that knowledge has been sought after, wisdom has been tasted and understanding has been used as a key to success.

MT:

Point of note, education should not be based on money-making alone, it also makes you to be exposed. To be able to know your rights. To be able to have sound & matured analytical mind. To be able to boost your morale & confidence etc
Very true. . . .something we should all try to understand.
And this is one of the reason why some professors do not do their job right or the way they should.
They're in for the money, comes to work to just get the paycheck. With no excitement and WANT to get the work done, what is actually [i]being [/i]done?
This is why in Nigeria, we do not have the best prof, doctors, and nurses. Most are not doing what they want to do, but for what is being offered.

MT:

Summarily, Education and Money are good, but money backed up with education is enviable and the best !
Very true.
But I say, Knowledge is Power. With power one can get money AND know the logics behind the "whys" of this world.
Gaining money should not be a priority
Re: Education Or Money? Which Is The Greater? by platinumnk(f): 2:44am On Apr 06, 2009
Yeah i agree education is 1st, but more I'm seeing ppl who want to come here (US) and get involved in things like shipping and make something of themselves, even with a degree!
My friend has a degree and still he want to be involved in fast money making things.
~shrugs~
Re: Education Or Money? Which Is The Greater? by tkb417(m): 6:25am On Apr 06, 2009
the only reason in gonna be educated is to empower myself to make money
i dont know about u. education without money is a waste!!

money without education will be a waste in the long run

50/50
Re: Education Or Money? Which Is The Greater? by FBS: 7:07am On Apr 06, 2009
50/50.
Knowlegde is power and so is money sometimes.
Re: Education Or Money? Which Is The Greater? by MadMax1(f): 9:44am On Apr 06, 2009
Depends on what you mean by 'success'. It means different things to different people. Not everyone considers heaps of money as success. But Nigerians have a shameless culture of money worship, and determine people's worth by how much stuff they display. The same people vilifying some guy as a fraud will kowtow obsequiously when he arrives in his porsche and want to own a porsche too. Of course everyone's noticed the rich are treated different and everyone wants that cheap adulation and will go horrid routes to get it. I may be wrong, but I''m not sure you can be genuinely successful without some sort of education.
Re: Education Or Money? Which Is The Greater? by ohaechesi(m): 9:57am On Apr 06, 2009
*Toyinrayo:

LOL, but money is not permanent. You can have it today and lose it tomor.
Education is not money, neither does it have to be the cause of wealth.
The highest achievement one can attain in this life is knowing that knowledge has been sought after, wisdom has been tasted and understanding has been used as a key to success.
Very true. . . .something we should all try to understand.
And this is one of the reason why some professors do not do their job right or the way they should.
They're in for the money, comes to work to just get the paycheck. With no excitement and WANT to get the work done, what is actually [i]being [/i]done?
This is why in Nigeria, we do not have the best prof, doctors, and nurses. Most are not doing what they want to do, but for what is being offered.
Very true.
But I say, Knowledge is Power. With power one can get money AND know the logics behind the "whys" of this world.
Gaining money should not be a priority

You are not being real here or is that the level of your understanding. Let me remind you that most big shots does not attend uni and thereafter, they employ graduates to work under their establishment. Gaining money is assumed more important today in the world not even only in Nigeria, the truth must be told. Education simply upgrade our knowledge and ideas in the society and its self substance and ends once the person gives up the ghost while your establishment rolls(that is if you were opportuned to make the money and actually invested). lets not forget that without money, you can't have a sound education. So poster, why asking this question that even a blind could give a straight answer without blinking. Let me quickly say this, there is no geniune one million in any part of the world, so i wonder what person sees as quick money whereby every rich man or woman cheated. Money first jare but its more better if you could have both.
Re: Education Or Money? Which Is The Greater? by ohaechesi(m): 10:09am On Apr 06, 2009
Mad_Max:

Depends on what you mean by 'success'. It means different things to different people. Not everyone considers heaps of money as success. But Nigerians have a shameless culture of money worship, and determine people's worth by how much stuff they display. The same people vivifying some guy as a fraud will kowtow obsequiously when he arrives in his porsche and want to own a porsche too. Of course everyone's noticed the rich are treated different and everyone wants that cheap adulation and will go horrid routes to get it. I may be wrong, but I''m not sure you can be genuinely successful without some sort of education.

Good talk, it does not necessarily mean Uni level only but if you have the chance, then grab it with your two hands. My point here is, don't revert people attention to what they can't afford whereby there are some other means of livelihood. If education is most desirable by you, then go for it period. it is not a must. the worst is poverty that wreck most of us(so called graduates)
Re: Education Or Money? Which Is The Greater? by pureminded: 10:17am On Apr 06, 2009
@Topic, I dont even know which is Greater ! I think they are on the same level , Because education without money is lifeless! and Money without educations is also undecided
Re: Education Or Money? Which Is The Greater? by PeeDaVinci: 10:46am On Apr 06, 2009
depends on ur definition of successs - which i think nobody can define for you!!! -abcha sees himself as successful, adedibu sees himsel as sucessful, soyinka sees himself as sucessful, cyprian ekwesi sees himself as suceessful etc, so, it all depends on wat u term sucess!!!!
Re: Education Or Money? Which Is The Greater? by ohaechesi(m): 10:48am On Apr 06, 2009
listen, to be frank with you, if i should be asked to make my choice amongst both, i go choose money sharp sharp grin. even gratuate with 5 degrees are frustrated without money. You could ought to wonder why those in government would welcome business gurus (without even O'level) in their offices for business analysis. just because those men has gotten what you do not have despite your 100 degrees grin
Re: Education Or Money? Which Is The Greater? by pureminded: 11:08am On Apr 06, 2009
ohaechesi:

listen, to be frank with you, if i should be asked to make my choice amongst both, i go choose money sharp sharp grin. even gratuate with 5 degrees are frustrated without money. You could ought to wonder why those in government would welcome business gurus (without even O'level) in their offices for business analysis. just because those men has gotten what you do not have despite your 100 degrees grin
Badboi cheesy grin
Re: Education Or Money? Which Is The Greater? by cvibe: 11:37am On Apr 06, 2009
Education stays with you while money comes and goes.
Re: Education Or Money? Which Is The Greater? by agabaI23(m): 11:57am On Apr 06, 2009
Mad_Max:

Depends on what you mean by 'success'. It means different things to different people. Not everyone considers heaps of money as success. But Nigerians have a shameless culture of money worship, and determine people's worth by how much stuff they display. The same people vivifying some guy as a fraud will kowtow obsequiously when he arrives in his porsche and want to own a porsche too. Of course everyone's noticed the rich are treated different and everyone wants that cheap adulation and will go horrid routes to get it. I may be wrong, but I''m not sure you can be genuinely successful without some sort of education.

Cheese and rice! this babe's english is is musical, sweet . . .

Poster
no vex, na my own i talk oo
the babe was also spot on.
Re: Education Or Money? Which Is The Greater? by dabylicios(m): 12:04pm On Apr 06, 2009
Who cares abt Education if u can make money without.Gosh,what ya'll fink pple go to school for.
Re: Education Or Money? Which Is The Greater? by phatjoe(m): 12:49pm On Apr 06, 2009
Nigera toaday wit all itz re-sauces (uman & Kapital) is backward
becoz of the rate of ill-traces witch is 70%
see na every tin jaga jaga
our commentators kolomenta
we nid som orientation to manager our pelnty suaces.
Re: Education Or Money? Which Is The Greater? by infoweb(m): 1:29pm On Apr 06, 2009
Hello bros,
Be informed hat neither nor education do lead to success. What is your definition of success?
All the same, i'll expect you to know that God is the one that gives seccess. See the bible in Joshua 1:8. This book of the law shall not depart out of thy, mouth, thou shall meditate on it day and night, so as to make thy way prosperous and shall have good success.
Remember, promotiom comes not from the east or west(surrounding circumstance, wealth, status, certificate etc.), but God is the judge, He lift up one and bring down another.
Cleave to God for success.

So neither of the two is greater
Re: Education Or Money? Which Is The Greater? by AjanleKoko: 2:58pm On Apr 06, 2009
What do you guys mean by 'education'? Education leads to everything, including money. Education is knowledge acquisition, which may or may not include a formal institution and/or certificate. To put it the way the Yorubas define it, either you 'mo we' or you 'mo way'.
Education is good, and satisfying. But, to quote the Bible, money'answereth all things'. An unfair comparison really, cos while education is a nice to have, money is a must have, at least you need some amount of it to get by.
Peace.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

PERFECT House Design. WITH 3D,construction & Approval In Nig?pls Read This / Dog Tries To Revive His Dead Mate After She Is Killed By A Car / How Much Is Graduate Entry Pay At FCDA Abuja....pl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.